Tomasz: help with future steps to recovery

Tomasz

Hello,

let me introduce myself. My name is Tom, I´m 45  and I struggle 6 years with anxiety/depression. I think it si time to take different aproach because I have no real success with drugs. I have been in several therapies(CBT, group, individual) which help to some degree . Coping strategies are very usefull. I´m staiyng in individul therapy now.

I was always irritable person with some perfectionism and litlle anxiety(difficult childhood, rejection) .My story begins in 2014, five years after our son was born. In that period me and my wife have been in constant stress and sleep deprivation raising our baby(birth health issues) and work issues. One year before my breakdown my wife had unexpected abortion with second baby, after that she had to go back to work. It started one year of relationship crisis on top of all that stress.

So on summert vacation after long, problematic flight I collapsed in hotel room with panic. Spent couple fo days in hospital in possibility of apendixitidis(psychosomatic reaction). After return home I was put on SSRI and it was total hell and it put me in a place of doom. Since then I didnt recover to previous state. I tried multiple drugs,

sometimes in combinations. The higher dose or drug combination , I feel exponentially worse. Years of despair. I don´t have normal response to psych. drugs (except benzos). I have lost several good jobs because I cant stand to much stress and had breakdowns after few weeks at work. No I have dissabilty status and working as gardener in company for people with mental health isuues(almost a year, so big progress). In those years I left my wife so many times and came back. I think I lived in toxic relationship.My wife cheated on me few moths after i have been diagnoised, so it take a big toll on my already bad mental health. I was trouble for her, not feeling real compassion and willing to help me. I was annoying her. We tried to make our marriage work but It didn´t happend. Now we live separatedly 8 months and facing divorce after 20 years together. I can see my son every week which helps. I have to deal with loneliness, never lived alone before, now in different town where only my mother lives. No friends around(lost most of them during my illness).

But! I feel better now than six years ago, i think time and therapy helps, not so sure about meds. I know I´m sensitive to normal life stressors, which I try to minimize but facing them. I want to make some progress towards recovery. I spend as much time in nature as I can. I take suplements (B vitamins, magnesium citrate, fish oil). I´m trying to solve relationship issues.

My doc is pushing me to take higher doses even if  i feel it doesnt help and keep telling him. After all that years with no succes I believe there shoud be some different aproach. So i make some tappering on my own but i don´t want to mess it up. I now take 50mg of Trazodone and 50mg of Lamotrigine plus 0,5mg of Clonazepam per need. I have good days and bad days.

I have not been stable for longer period last six years, I have mood swings. Hiking and biking helps me the most. And keep my anxious mind busy, but it´s exhausting.

Any advice for me please?

Tom

2014 Escitalopram 10mg,Trazodone 150mg, 2015 Mirtazapine 7,5-45mg+ Zoloft up to 100mg, switched to Escitalopram 10mg, 2016 Olanzapine 2,5mg switched to Lyrica 150mg, switched to Dosulepine,2017 Tianeptine,2018 Vortioxetine10mg,2019 Moclobemide 150mg,Trazodone 150mg, Lamictal 200mg,2020 Trazodone 50-200mg,Lamictal 50-150mg. 2021 Effexor 150mg, Melperone 25mg, Clonazepam 0.5mg PNR. 2022 Clonazepam free since 08/2021. Venlafaxine free since 06/2022. Restarted Venlafaxine in december 2022. Stopped Venlafaxine in 05/2023. Clonazepam occasionally for 1-3days when in crisis.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Tomasz: help with future steps to recovery
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tom and welcome to SA,

I'm really pleased that you found SA.

Before we can offer any suggestions we need to know your drug history.

Please create your drug signature.  Keep it simple.  Drug name, date and dose for each change you have made for that drug, ie we need to see the details of your taper/s.  If you have stopped any drug, please tell us how you stopped it, eg cold turkey, and the last dose you took before stopping it.  We need details for the last 2 years and a summary for anything older than 2 years.  Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Q:  How often do you take clonazepam?

Please put ALL the drugs you are current taking in the Drug.com Interactions Checker.  Please copy and paste the results OR the link URL link to the report here in a post.

Once we have the above information we can suggest what drug would be the better one to taper first.

Please read Posts #1 & #2 of this topic:

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage

This is your own Introduction topic which is the place to ask questions about your own situation journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Signature is short for me so here is the list: 

2014 September

SSRI(Estan) from 5 to 10mg in 3 days (total meltdown,sever panics, insomnia, tremmors)

2014 October to December

Trazodone 50-150mg (no help with panic and depression, only little help with sleep) 

2015 January to July

Mirtazapine 7,5-45mg   (nightmares, depersonalization, derealization, inner shakiness, unable to make eye contact,suicidal thoughts)

2015 June to September

Zoloft up to 100mg (alone or in combo with Mirtazapine) - worsened sleep, sex. dysfunction, no help with anxiety/dep.,mood swings,crying spells

2015 November to December

Escitalopram 10mg for two months - pregresively worsened to the point of wanting to end own life on christmass

Imeddiately stopped, replaced with Olanzapine

2016 January to February

Olanzapine 2,5mg(5mg was too much) for about 2 months to alleviate withdrawal. Sedated, lethargy,joint pain

2016 March

Lyrica up to 150mg - no relief, mood swings

2016 April -October

Dosulepine - very weak - no relief, no side effects

2016 November - 2017 June

Tianeptine max dose - no help, no side effects

2017-2018

cant remember - probably triyng some of the previous meds and some periods off meds

2018 March - May

Vortioxetine 10mg - worsened condition, irritability, mood swings, anxiety, depression

2019 November - December

Moclobemide in combination with trazodone and Lamonotrigine - irritated skin, joint pain, mental breakdown.

Tried Seroquell instead of Moclobemide for few days 25mg in combination with Trazodone+Lamotrigine

Drunk feeling, sleepiness,lost fo coordination, no help with anxiety. Very bad.

2019 September - 2020 August(now)

Trazodone 50-150mg + Lamotrigine 50-200mg in different combinations

Now Trazodone 50mg and Lamotrigine 50mg with help of 0,5mg Clonazepam

Generally: all meds makes me more irritated, mood swings worsened anxiety.

Benzos on and off during whole period - mostly Bromazepam and Clonazepam. Sometimes continualy, sometimes per need, with periods off.

They help with anxiety and sleep . Clonazepam taken continually seem to make me depressed. 

2014 Escitalopram 10mg,Trazodone 150mg, 2015 Mirtazapine 7,5-45mg+ Zoloft up to 100mg, switched to Escitalopram 10mg, 2016 Olanzapine 2,5mg switched to Lyrica 150mg, switched to Dosulepine,2017 Tianeptine,2018 Vortioxetine10mg,2019 Moclobemide 150mg,Trazodone 150mg, Lamictal 200mg,2020 Trazodone 50-200mg,Lamictal 50-150mg. 2021 Effexor 150mg, Melperone 25mg, Clonazepam 0.5mg PNR. 2022 Clonazepam free since 08/2021. Venlafaxine free since 06/2022. Restarted Venlafaxine in december 2022. Stopped Venlafaxine in 05/2023. Clonazepam occasionally for 1-3days when in crisis.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for providing the drug information.

Please do the following as well.  Thanks.

59 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Please put ALL the drugs you are current taking in the Drug.com Interactions Checker.  Please copy and paste the results OR the link URL link to the report here in a post.

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Interactions between your drugs

Moderate

clonazePAM  traZODone

Applies to: clonazepam, trazodone

Using clonazePAM together with traZODone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate

clonazePAM  lamoTRIgine

Applies to: clonazepam, Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Using clonazePAM together with lamoTRIgine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

traZODone  lamoTRIgine

Applies to: trazodone, Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Using traZODone together with lamoTRIgine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs. This does not necessarily mean no other interactions exist. Always consult your healthcare provider.

Drug and food interactions

Moderate

traZODone  food

Applies to: trazodone

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of traZODone such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with traZODone. Do not use more than the recommended dose of traZODone, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate

lamoTRIgine  food

Applies to: Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of lamoTRIgine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with lamoTRIgine. Do not use more than the recommended dose of lamoTRIgine, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Therapeutic duplication warnings

No warnings were found for your selected drugs.

Therapeutic duplication warnings are only returned when drugs within the same group exceed the recommended therapeutic duplication maximum.

I do have memory issuses medicine/anxiety related. I have impaired judgement. I limited caffeine  and sugar. I don´t drink alcohol. I don´t feel sedated,or drowsy, i work hard physically as gardener. I´m able to safely drive car and use electrical tools at work. 

My biggest problem is mood swings, anxiety, poor sleep and bad decision making in stressful situations. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for providing all that information.

I've asked the other mods for their assistance.  Someone will respond as soon as they are able to.

• Moderator Emeritus

Now Lamictal 50mg, Trazodone 50mg, Clonazepam 0,5mg

Tomasz, what time(s) of the day do you take your drugs? You mentioned periodic benzo use - how often in the past month have you used clonazepam? 

Lamictal 25mg morning and 25mg late afternoon. Trazodone 50mg before bed.

Clonazepam now 0.5mg before bed. 

Due to stressful event in mid June I took Clonazepam 3x a day 0.5mg which I gradually decreased over a month to 0.5mg at evening. I'm trying not to take it some days with success but when I have to solve divorce things with my wife I'm too stressed to stay calm afterwards and need to be functional at work.

• Moderator Emeritus

Tomasz, do you feel like you're dependent on clonazepam? It only takes 2 - 4 weeks to become dependent on this drug. And people can become dependent even with periodic benzo dosing. 

The half-life of clonazepam is 18 - 50 hours, so even if you're a rapid metabolizer at the 18 hour mark, you would still have 13% of the drug in your system 2 days later. And if you're a slow metabolizer, at the 50 hour mark, you would still have 13% of the drug in your system 6 days later. This is a handy online calculator for half-life calculations you may find helpful:

Drug Half Life Calculator

You may still be going through withdrawal from the increase and decrease back in June. Benzo updoses work best within a month of the last decrease, so an updose may not help. Consistent dosing and holding may be the best way forward for you. 

What do you think about taking the clonazepam every day instead of periodically? You likely are already dependent on the drug, and taking the drug every day at the same time of the day and at the same dose will help your nervous system stabilize. You'll be able to taper this drug later, but for now, stabilizing your nervous system is the priority.

Please post your thoughts. 

Sorry for replying later. I was a bit down.

I think it's a good idea. Will try for sure. Thank you all for helping me.

Hi @Tomasz, have a look about Acceptance and Commitment Therapy as well. I found Russ Harris book's The Happiness Trap to be a great help for coping with negative thoughts and feelings.

23rd of January 2020 - Started taking Lexapro at 5mg daily.

29th of January 2020 - Upped to 10mg of Lexapro daily.

9th of April 2020 - Reduced to 5mg of Lexapro daily.

23rd of April 2020 - Stopped Lexapro at 5mg daily.

Withdrawal since ~

I have question about mood swings. 

When I was first prescribed antidepressants (SSRI) I started to have very fast and big mood swings within hours or minutes. The more pills the worse. I have mood swing since then didn't have period without them . No more then week. Mostly one week waves from slightly hipomanic one day to more and more anxious/depressed. Now it's not so severe, but they are not allowing me to function normally and find a better job for instance. All I can do is to wait it out, sleep it over or take a Clonazepam when I feel it will be very bad. 

So, is there anything I can do about it or it is just something I have to accept to live with?

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Tomasz said:

or take a Clonazepam when I feel it will be very bad.

Shep posted:

On 8/27/2020 at 9:34 PM, Shep said:

What do you think about taking the clonazepam every day instead of periodically?

And I think this was your response to her question:

On 8/29/2020 at 3:54 PM, Tomasz said:

I think it's a good idea. Will try for sure.

Q:  Have you started to take Clonazepam every day?

Q:  If yes, when did you start taking them every day?

Edited by ChessieCat

Second day after her post.

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay, thanks.  So that it is clear in your signature please add daily AND the date after the dose.  Thanks.

Clonazepam 0,5mg (daily from xx.xx.2020)

Edited by ChessieCat

Ok. What about mood swings?

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm assuming that you are referring to escitalopram which is the first drug listed in your drug signature.

I did a general internet search for:  escitalopram mood swings and found this:

From https://www.healthline.com/health/depression/lexapro-side-effects

Boxed warning side effects

A boxed warning is the most serious warning from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Lexapro may increase suicidal thoughts or actions. This risk is higher in in children, teenagers, or young adults. This is more likely to happen within the first few months of treatment or during dosage changes.

Call your doctor right away if you have any of the following symptoms, or call 911 or local emergency services if the symptoms are new, worse, or worrisome:

• attempts to commit suicide
  • acting on dangerous impulses
  • aggressive or violent actions
  • thoughts about suicide or dying
  • new or worse depression
  • new or worse anxiety or panic attacks
  • feeling restless, angry, or irritable
  • trouble sleeping
  • increased activity (doing more than what is normal for you)
  • other unusual changes in your behavior or mood

Edited by ChessieCat

11 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

I'm assuming that you are referring to escitalopram which is the first drug listed in your drug signature.

I did a general internet search for:  escitalopram mood swings and found this:

From https://www.healthline.com/health/depression/lexapro-side-effects

Yes, it started with Escitalopram but I have mood swings since then. About one week cycles now with one fine day, one day I wish to die and rest something in between. 

• Moderator Emeritus

If you didn't experience mood swings before you started any drugs, then it is could possibly be the drug/s causing the mood swings.

I suggest you read Your Drug May Be Your Problem by Dr Peter Breggin.  There is a chapter titled "Your Drug May Be Your Problem and You May Be the Last to Know".

Right click on the green download link top right.

I suggest you also check out these videos by Dr Breggin.  Especially the one on Medication Spellbinding.

Video:  Simple Truths About Psychiatry - Series of 10 by Dr Peter Breggin

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Q:  Have you started to take Clonazepam every day?

Q:  If yes, when did you start taking them every day?

9 hours ago, Tomasz said:

Second day after her post.

22 hours ago, Tomasz said:

All I can do is to wait it out, sleep it over or take a Clonazepam when I feel it will be very bad. 

Tomasz, I'm going to expand on ChessieCat's inquiry - are you taking an additional clonazepam when you feel bad? 

Please start a daily drug and symptoms journal. The instructions are listed below.

Please also include:

• any supplements you are taking
  • how much you sleep each night

On 9/27/2016 at 2:49 PM, Altostrata said:

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms. We ask this because there may be something we can do to reduce the symptoms.

What we need to see for every single day over several days is what symptoms you get before and after you take your drugs. If you're not taking any drugs and have withdrawal symptoms, we still need to see your symptom pattern throughout the day:

The time of day, dosage, and severity of symptoms are essential information. Include

- Time and dosage for all drugs taken throughout the day, psychiatric and non-psychiatric.

- Following each dose, note any symptoms. If you are having a reaction to the drug, it may take hours for a symptom to show up -- that's why we ask you to keep notes all day long.

- If you're not taking any drugs, your symptoms throughout the day.

- Your sleep pattern. Since so many drugs disturb sleep, if you find you're waking in the middle of the night, it could be from a drug you took earlier in the evening. If you're not taking any drugs, there may be ways you can improve your sleep.

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, looking something like this:

Example:

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I found a pattern in my illnesses I think. I'd like to know your opinion. Should I ask another psychiatrist for diagnose evaluation?

In the begining it was nervous breakdown with panic attacks. After first SSRI treatment for just one week I dive much much deeper with ultra rapid cycling. Mind racing, depression, anxiety, crying spells, all together. Later in treatment I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder comorbid with depression. Now it's GAD.

Pattern is like this for last couple years.

Sometimes worsened with treatment.

Every 7 to 10 days I experience this.

I have day when I feel better during day. Next day better than yesterday,closer to normal. Third day I feel like my old self. Clear head, social, smart, active. Then during that day I feel start of nervousnes, irritability, increased energy.

About an 2hours later I feel drop in mood. Lost of energy, exhaustion, depression, anxiety, racing thoughts.

It last another couple days and starting getting better. This is happening without obvious reason. I can be at work, on hollidays or when I was home for couple of months and not working. Stres make it worse and good days vanish. I don't sleep well since I got mentally ill.

I don't have anxious thoughts about everyday things or about my family got sick or another disaster. In lows I experience racing mind with obssesive thoughts about certain topic (shoul I divorce, should I quit job). On good days I do not have this. It is very exhausting.

Do you have any idea please? 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/2/2020 at 11:51 PM, Shep said:

are you taking an additional clonazepam when you feel bad? 

Please answer Shep's question.

7 hours ago, Tomasz said:

Do you have any idea please? 

Before we can assist any further we need the answer to Shep's question above and also daily symptom notes which were requested at the beginning of September.  We need at least 3 consecutive days of notes:

On 9/2/2020 at 11:51 PM, Shep said:

Please start a daily drug and symptoms journal. The instructions are listed below.

Please also include:

• any supplements you are taking
  • how much you sleep each night

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, I found a pattern in my illnesses I think. I'd like to know your opinion. Should I ask another psychiatrist for diagnose evaluation?

Once you have taken a psychiatric drug, any "diagnosis" thereafter is irrelevant because of the action of the drugs on your brain.  It seems that you are focusing on "mental illness".

chemical-imbalance-is-a-myth-stop-the-lies-please

I don't sleep well since I got mentally ill.

SA's focus is on helping members to reduce/get off their psychiatric drugs not on their diagnosis etc.

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, Tomasz said:

Should I ask another psychiatrist for diagnose evaluation?

You're a human being with normal reactions and feelings from having been exposed to the neurotoxic effects of psychiatric drugs.  No need to label yourself anymore than that. You're human and you're in pain. 

14 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Once you have taken a psychiatric drug, any "diagnosis" thereafter is irrelevant because of the action of the drugs on your brain. 

What ChessieCat wrote is so true. Here are some links that explain how these drugs effect us:

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

What is happening in your brain?

Thank you all for your kindness.

Will read those articles.

I will try to write a daily notes.

• 3 months later...

Hello, it's been a busy time with ups and downs. My mood swings are related to stress. I did my mood /activity daily chart but without obvious pattern. In September I started to work 4days a week instead of 3days in gardening company for disabled people.  I'm in divorce process, I had new girlfriend, we break up recently, my grandmother died two weeks ago (I am the only relative), i have issues with back pain because of hard work. So now it's a very difficult time.

What I observed. I was always easily irritated person, grown up in abusive environment. To years prior my breakdown I was in light depression due to work stress, difficulties in relationship and problems with new born son. Lost interest in hobbies.

Didn't know I was depressed back then. 

After breakdown 6years ago adverse reaction on few doses of escitalopram sent me to hell.

So what I figured out. I am on disability now. I was coping best without meds when I was at home not going to work and doing chores and spending time with family, doing hobbies. 

Every time I felt better I found a job, but after couple of months I was exhausted and relapsed. New meds was tried. And new round began.

No matter what meds I took I always relapsed and only staying home and rest led to improvement. It's the same with dating. I am anxious. After couple of weeks I started to feel exhausted and gradually worsening. I couldn't sleep without clonopin.

I have not been stable since my breakdown.

I'm going to therapy every secon week.

I don't know what to do now.

I'm on 50mg of trazodone and 50mg of lamictal since September. Not stable unfortunately. 

My psych gave up and told me to quit lamictal and have appointment whenever I want. I tried to cut lamictal, but felt extremely anxious, so I went back. I need clonopin 0.5mg once a day to take care of my son and to keep function.

I'm going to find out new psychiatrist.

I'm not going to work next two months, because it's off season (I'm a gardener). 

What do you suggest? I mean generally, kind of holistic approach.

Should I get rest from work for longer time or find something different?(I don't like gardening much, I'm ex technician and working with mentally disabled people is exhausting for me and most importantly my back pain will only worsen, which stopping me from hiking , my coping hobby). But find suitable part time job is almost impossible here.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all.

• Moderator Emeritus
36 minutes ago, Tomasz said:

What do you suggest? I mean generally, kind of holistic approach.

I'm sorry to read about your breakup and your grandmother's death. Please rest as much as you can. Lots of self-care. 

As far as holistic approaches go, you may like to try some of the non-drug coping techniques listed in these threads:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Non-drug techniques for dealing with body pain

38 minutes ago, Tomasz said:

I'm on 50mg of trazodone and 50mg of lamictal since September. Not stable unfortunately. 

My psych gave up and told me to quit lamictal and have appointment whenever I want. I tried to cut lamictal, but felt extremely anxious, so I went back. I need clonopin 0.5mg once a day to take care of my son and to keep function.

I'm going to find out new psychiatrist.

Are you here for tapering advice? Or just information on holistic care while you continue to take these drugs?

Please note if you'd like to receive tapering advice, please start a drug and symptoms journal (I posted the instructions in this post earlier in your thread).

Some of your symptoms may be from the potential drug interactions (you posted them earlier in your thread here)

Once you have listed a few days of a daily drug and symptoms journal, we can help you set up a taper plan.

I'm here to be meds free in the long run.  I need to get stabilised and then working on getting my life back whatever it takes.

I'm going to rest a lot now, for sure. I'm a goal achiever so I had to learn that rest is not a failure. Sometimes still struggle with it. 

What I struggle with is that since my breakdown I'm hypersensitive and get easily irritated or anxious over things.

When this happens too often I start to loose my sleep and relapse.

So the question for now is. Should I stay on 50mg of lamictal and 50mg of trazodone plus clonopin PNR for a while or should I discontinue lamictal like when my doc said there is no reason to take such a small dose?

I'm going to take notes on symptoms and drugs from today.

Edited by Tomasz
added info

• Moderator Emeritus

So the question for now is. Should I stay on 50mg of lamictal and 50mg of trazodone plus clonopin PNR for a while or should I discontinue lamictal like when my doc said there is no reason to take such a small dose?

Do you mean PRN (not PNR)?  We don't recommend periodic benzo use. If you're using it more than a few times a month, there's a good chance you'll develop a dependency. 

Also, in your signature, you have "clonazepam 0.5 mg daily from 28 august 2020," so some of your symptoms may be from going from daily use to periodic use. If you feel you're dependent on it, I would take the clonazepam every day. 

Without symptom notes, I can't give any more advice than to get on a consistent benzo dose if you feel you're dependent. 

• 2 weeks later...

My psychiatrist told me before christmass, to guit Lamictal 50mg cold turkey, because it is baby dose.  I took one week 25mg and then quit. Since then I am in hell, anxiety, depression, panic, suicidal thoughts, crying. I forget to take few doses of Trazodone in the evening.

I decided to reinstate Lamictal, so yesterday and today I took 25mg of Lamictal. I was off for six days. I have to take clonopin 0.5mg 3-4x times a day to cope with severe withdrawal. Is it safe to go back to 50mg of Lamictal after 6 days completely off? Unfortunatelly I haven't take notes of doses and symptoms because I was a mess lately .

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/2/2021 at 6:35 AM, Tomasz said:

Is it safe to go back to 50mg of Lamictal after 6 days completely off?

It may be safe to go back to the original dose after 6 days or you may want to try a bit lower, maybe 40 mg to see how you do.

On 1/2/2021 at 6:35 AM, Tomasz said:

I have to take clonopin 0.5mg 3-4x times a day to cope with severe withdrawal.

Some of your symptoms may be from erratic benzo dosing. Taking the benzo at the same dose and the same times of the day every day will help your nervous system stabilize. 

• 1 month later...

Hello. After breakdown at Christmass I more of stabilized on 150mg of Trazodone evening. Clonazepam 0.5mg morning and evening and Lamictal 50mg morning. I see problem in Clonazepam and I can't believe how sensitive I am to it.

My mood swings were caused by Lamictal plus Clonazepam irregular use. I weaned myself from lamictal and I am completely off for two weeks. I feel much better now, lessened anger issues/irritability and clearer thinking , more joy to do things. Issue now is drowsiness and lack of interest in sex. I would like to know how should I continue. I would like to go off both remaining meds slowly.  Which med should I start to tapper first? And when. Should I wait couple of weeks after lamictal withdrawal? I also want to add some supplements specificcaly NAC-L and CBD oil. I take now fish oil 1g, magnesium citrate 0.6g and B-complex vitamins daily. Can you do some guidance for me please?

• Moderator Emeritus
On 12/21/2020 at 6:02 AM, Tomasz said:

2 hours ago, Tomasz said:

After breakdown at Christmass I more of stabilized on 150mg of Trazodone evening. Clonazepam 0.5mg morning and evening and Lamictal 50mg morning. I see problem in Clonazepam and I can't believe how sensitive I am to it.

My mood swings were caused by Lamictal plus Clonazepam irregular use. I weaned myself from lamictal and I am completely off for two weeks. I feel much better now,

Thomas, it's unclear if you're feeling better because you're off Lamictal or because you're now taking 3 times your previous dose of trazodone and double the amount of Klonopin since you posted in December 2020. 

Since you're feeling better, I would hold for several months. These are major drug changes and you really need to establish a baseline on a consistent drug schedule. 

Please note we can't help you unless you're willing to stick to a regular drug schedule. 

2 hours ago, Tomasz said:

I also want to add some supplements specificcaly NAC-L and CBD oil. I take now fish oil 1g, magnesium citrate 0.6g and B-complex vitamins daily. Can you do some guidance for me please?

Please research all supplements and only bring in one at a time and at a low dose. See:

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Also, you can use the search feature or google "survivingantidepressants.org" + [name of supplement] to get information on these various supplements. Some vitamins, such as B12. cam be stimulating. 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Shep, thank you very much! I think clonopine help me to stabilize and also handle lamictal side effects. I was on all three meds for one month and feel better but not so much like after I started to wean off lamictal. I feel in my gut lamictal didn't work for me but made things worse. I'll stick to regimen for now maybe try to add some CBD and see in next two months how it works. Any idea how to overcome tiredness? I work as gardener in company for dissabled people and it is very physical. After I got home I don't have much energy to do daily tasks and hobnies, which is very important to me and helps me with mental help (biking, hiking). 

• Moderator Emeritus

Any idea how to overcome tiredness?

Unfortunately, that is a very common withdrawal problem. Try to do as much self-care as you can.

Are you able to tolerate magnesium? If so, you may want to try an Epsom salt bath at night. That may help relax you into a better night's sleep and also help with any muscle aches you may have from working as a gardener. The fact that you have an active life and enjoy things like biking and hiking are great. But try not to push yourself to do too much right not. The fatigue will fade out but it may take awhile.