tsranga

Seasonal changes and symptom pattern or food intolerance?

tsranga

I am now exactly 19 months off mirtazapine and dealing with a flare-up the last couple of days. 

I was doing great in fall/winter and my food intolerance was reduced. As soon as April hit,  I started reacting more to foods that were ok in winter.  I have had to be really strict with food (low fodmap, low fibre, low histamine) to avoid triggering symptoms (mainly GI related).

On Saturday, I had a burger after months, and on Sunday, I had a whole bar of toblerone. I was fine over the weekend, but the last two days, my old symptoms of hot/cold sensitivity, restlessness, tired but wired at night, calf twitches, dry mouth have returned. During this time, I find it extremely hard to rest and need to keep pacing.. and I also have POTS like heart rate fluctuations during the daytime.

Interestingly, my gut has been quite calm other than increased burping after the meal. Typically, I have more severe Gi symptoms (gas/burping all night, hand and feet numbing pain) with a food intolerance.

Two questions for those who have been off more than a year -

1. Do you notice a seasonal variation in symptoms and are they pretty drastic as soon as the season changes?  Do these ease up over time?  I rarely had hot/cold sensitivity and restlessness all spring/summer, and very little food intolerance in fall/winter.  

2. Could this still be a gluten/food intolerance, but manifesting differently without the GI issues (since I have been taking some herbs to help with GI symptoms)?

3. I am usually good at handling gut issues as I have had them for a while, but this rapid hot/cold sensitivity (too hot when ac is not on, too cold when even the fan is turned on) makes it hard to sit with. Multiple symptoms hitting simultaneously takes a lot of work. Anyone have any suggestions here? 

4. Also, I have been off vit B complex and Vit D since June. Would it make sense to add them along with omega-3 to help with these symptoms?

Update:  Just on a hunch, I checked my blood sugar, and it was at 197 two hours post lunch   My blood sugar is mostly in the normal range, and whenever I feel this agitation, when I have checked, its been in the 150-160 mark. It rarely happens.   My BP is always in the lower end of normal - 110-70, but when I just took a reading, it was at 137/96, which is high for me.

Could this be again a withdrawal issue where the heart rate, blood sugar etc.. go through spikes?

I have had a history of pre-diabetes, but in withdrawal,  my A1C is now normal.  

Chronic IBS since 1990

Former smoker (1992- Jun 2017)

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep and GAD diagnosis in Aug 2017.

Mirtazapine 7.5mg 8/17 to 12/17

Mirtazapine 3.75mg 1/18 to 1/19

Off Mirtazapine since 2/19.

On vit B and D since 2018.

On Magnesium glycinate since 3/19.

tsranga
2 hours ago, tsranga said:

On Saturday, I had a burger after months, and on Sunday, I had a whole bar of toblerone. I was fine over the weekend, but the last two days, my old symptoms of hot/cold sensitivity, restlessness, tired but wired at night, calf twitches, dry mouth have returned. During this time, I find it extremely hard to rest and need to keep pacing.. and I also have POTS like heart rate fluctuations during the daytime.

Update:  Just on a hunch, I checked my blood sugar, and it was at 197 two hours post lunch   My blood sugar is mostly in the normal range, and whenever I feel this agitation, when I have checked, its been in the 150-160 mark. It rarely happens.   My BP is always in the lower end of normal - 110-70, but when I just took a reading, it was at 137/96, which is high for me.

I checked my journal and it appears that the last time I had the same pattern was in April, with a spike in blood sugar along with all the other symptoms of hot/cold sensitivity, cough twitching, restlessness and agitation (need to pace/cant sit down)..   I didn't identify any food trigger last time, so it does seem to be more a seasonal shift??  From warm to cold/cold to warm..

Chronic IBS since 1990

tsranga

Update:

It appears that gluten and high sugar intake (ice-cream, chocolate bar) triggered my flare-up.    I had another flare this week after I accidentally had regular ice-cream (instead of dairy-free), but the pattern was slightly different.  

Similar symptoms - Starts off with hot ears, slight disorientation, frequent BMs, gut noises when lying down, and then towards the end of the flare, gut slows down, with more abdominal pain, and then stabilizes as gut gets working again.

Additional (Flare-up 1 - Gluten and Sugar)  - anxiety, temperature sensitivity, calf muscle twitches, calf pain, facial flushing, restlessness/agitation, high heart rate, blood sugar spikes, blurry vision

Additional symptoms (Flare-up 2 - Sugar and Lactose) - Sleeping heart starts low and  rises early with a  spike between 3AM-4AM causing early awakening, hyper-alert, hyperactive gut.  I have had it for the last 3 days, and I cannot go back to sleep.  Heart rate, BP,  blood sugar etc, are normal.

This  looks like a typical histamine reaction, with some variations for gluten and lactose? 

Chronic IBS since 1990