Haze: is it possible to recover from Haldol shots

Haze

Hey guys it’s my bday today i turned 22. Last summer a lot happened I was kicked out from my parents and then I got an apt but was shortly kicked out of there and on the streets. Being homeless I didn’t feel safe to sleep I’d rarely eat. And In 2 weeks I went into psychosis due to lack of sleep. The psychosis was really bad but after being in the hospital and eating and sleeping right I was back to normal. Doctors insisted I was schizoaffective so they put me on haldol shots. Worse decision I have made in my life I was just scared to not get psychosis again but I believe anyone that doesn’t sleep for 2 weeks and is in extreme amount of stress can get psychosis. I’ve had pyschosis before in my life 2 times prior and they were both cause I wasn’t sleeping and eating and high stress and anxiety.

Anyways regardless of I’m schizoaffective or not. The medication was so unfair. I did not know what was to come. I shoulda stopped the shots a long time ago but I took 8 shots I don’t know the dosage. I’m 6 months off.

i feel no emotion.

i feel no joy.

music sucks.

substances don’t work like weed tea alchohol,

I don’t feel much seratonin

i don’t feel any dopamine I get slight pleasure from sex and food but not showers video games tv hanging out Nothing

does anyone really recover from Haldol is it just too strong of a dopamine blocker to ever come back from it.

the most concerning thing is weed doesn’t work it’s like smoking air if I take 1 month break I’ll get a vision change but no good feelings.

on the first 3/4 months weed sorta worked still after 4 shots it’s just completely blocked will it be like this forever? In another post I heard someone saying in 2 years off the shot they still can’t feel recreational drugs.

besides the drugs I wanna be happy I’ve been happy without weed before this is totally different it feels like I have no soul.

i have no motivation I don’t care about working school or making money on the side either

I’m seeing a neuropsychologist and hopefully get some answers my doctor and psychiatrist don’t give 2 shits.

ive attempted my life more this year then I have in my entire existence I wasn’t always perfect but atleast before I could feel my emotions and smoke weed if it got that bad. 

I have no escape now excersize does not do anything supplements don’t help herbal tea doesn’t work anymore this is all bs

seriously the guy on here talking about haldol LAPD said there was someone 2 years off and can’t feel substances? I know I shouldn’t be seeking substances but it’s so hard when u feel ahedonia and suicidal thoughts everyday I don’t feel human anymore

Is there any recovery stories on haldol? I wish I could be one but I don’t think I can make it this long feeling like this it’s horrible everything I once loved is stripped away. I feel horrible everyday 

anyone have any hope any links anything. I know people have recovered from invega and risperidone but i know haldol is 50-100x stronger then Thorazine. 

my biggest question is will I ever be able to feel weed again? 

i just miss smoking enjoying music being motivated working going to school everything was fine before these shots now I’m ***** for life. I was thinking maybe I’d recover in 1.5 years cause I’m 6 months off now. But if I can’t feel weed in 1.5 years that’s not recovery my dopamine receptors would still be ***** up. I don’t want to Just get used to this I want my old self back if that’s not possible I don’t think I can do this anymore. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Haze: is it possible to recover from Haldol shots
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SurvivingAntidepressants, Haze.  Congratulations on being 6 months off Haldol.  

I am sorry that you are feeling so desperate. If you are feeling suicidal, you need to seek out local help, and speak to someone trained in dealing with this.  Are there any groups locally that you can access?  See:  for-those-who-are-feeling-desperate-or-suicidal

Below is a link to recovery stories from antipsychotics, including Haldol, that show that there is hope.  Our experience here is that we all do recover eventually.  It may take 1.5 years, it may take longer.  You are young.  Please hold on and give your brain the time it needs to heal.

Antipsychotic survivors? Interested in your stories - Success ...

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

If you use the site search function with the key word "haldol" you will get twelve (12) pages of entries talking about it. So there is information available.

The lack of emotions that you are having is one of the most common side effects of these drugs. They don't work by making us feel good, they work by making us feel nothing.

Gridley replied to your thread just yesterday, and I've replied less than a day later. People are paying attention, but we can't reply within a few minutes of someone posting.

We have very good success of helping people get off of these drugs and back to their normal lives, so there is every hope for your recovery.  It is a long slow process that can be very frustrating at times, but it does work.

What we need to start with is a daily symptom log. What you are feeling and when, what you eat and any medications/drugs you take, when and how much. this will help us sort out what is going on and come up with a plan to help.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Haze said:

I didn’t find anything on haldol in that thread espically the shots

Happy2Heal says in the thread that she was forced to take Haldol for many months while an inpatient a state hospital. (I don't know whether she was on the pills or shots.)  She has been on many, many other drugs over the years and made great progress toward healing.  I'm hoping you can take some encouragement from her victory statement below.

Happy2Heal  my Victory statement

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

What we need to start with is a daily symptom log. What you are feeling and when, what you eat and any medications/drugs you take, when and how much. this will help us sort out what is going on and come up with a plan to help.

This post explains what is required:

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Sorry for complaining that no one was replying. This site is very supportive. Is a symptom log what i need?

Ahedonia ( my biggest symptom everything is so dull now all my passions hobbies are gone)

Depression (cant feel the intensity of it but i check yes for all the symptoms)

suicidal ideation (been going away but does come back)

I'm not going to lie i eat like ****. Wings fast food burgers gyros etc

I don't take any medications

I sometimes take these supplements

ST.johns wort

probiotics for my gut health so i can make more seratonin

L-tyrosine

fish oil

• Administrator

How long have you been off Haldol? How long was your shot good for?

How's your sleep?

We're systematic here. More paperwork for you: To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

In 7ish days it’ll be my 7 month off. My sleep is trash some nights I don’t sleep at all some nights I sleep till 7 pm the next day with constant waking up. I feel like I lost my ability to get sleepy I force myself to sleep and I never wanna wake up so every time I wake up I force myself back to sleep

Hey Haze, I have the same symptoms. Not sure what to do about it. It feels like I have to do everything forcefully as it seems that I lost my natural drive to do things. 

How are you coping?

10.8 - 17.8:
Risperidon 6mg, Haldol
17.8: 3mg Risperidon
1.9: 1mg Risperidon
As of 10.9: 0mg Risperidon 

• 8 months later...

Hello Haze, I feel for you. I hope you check this post again, I know what you are going through, try adding choline and carnitine to your supplement regiment, and drink caffeine (lots of it, go nuts). Remember what feeling felt like, and try to feel that way (fight that urge to let go, the brain wants to give up, push it; think, think, think, "how should I feel right now:). Practice crying, it will be hard, but when you are able to cry better or more naturally, that could be an indicator of healing slightly. I am doing this now too, its been about 9 months and my emotions are still so far from tangible, like you, I miss myself deeply. But supplements and food seem to be the only option to attempt gaining sum remnant of ourselves, after the brain damage that toxin leaves behind in the shell of a person we become.     

• 2 years later...

@Haze bro please reply to this If you recovered I’m in the exact same spot that you described my life is pure hell it’s 10 months since my last shot I’m searching for some hope man please let me know if you managed to recover and how long it took , many thanks 🙏 

Clopixol depot injection june 2022- January 2023- made me feel like a zombie and this has continued even after discontinuation and has persisted ever since . 

• 3 months later...
On 10/21/2023 at 8:37 AM, Muckymind said:

@Haze bro please reply to this If you recovered I’m in the exact same spot that you described my life is pure hell it’s 10 months since my last shot I’m searching for some hope man please let me know if you managed to recover and how long it took , many thanks 🙏 

Did anyone recover from haldol shots .please say yes