sjhs: short term bupropion use - severe withdrawal

sjhs

Hi,

I recently took bupropion on and off between July – September 2020. I had about 45x tablets of 150mg over these three months.

I thought my inconsistent use and short duration would not require a taper to stop but I have had awful symptoms since stopping.

I have severe headaches on and off but a constant feeling of dizziness/light-headedness (the most debilitating symptom). My short term memory is absolutely horrendous. My ability to think problems through is very impaired and I can’t cope at all with any form of conflict/stress. All of the symptoms become much worse in the heat. It has been 12 weeks since my last tablet and the symptoms aren’t getting any better. With the way things are going, I actually think I am going to have to stop working soon.

I had a brain mri last week and it was all clear.

Does anyone have any advice or a prediction of how long this will last? I can’t believe I am experiencing such symptoms from such a short time taking the drugs.

Best wishes to everyone on this forum.

45x Bupropion 150mg between start of July and end of September 2020.

Severe withdrawal since.

Attempted reinstatement 150mg Late October 2020 - unsuccessful

Attempted reinstatement 150mg Mid November 2020 - unsuccessful

• ChessieCat changed the title to sjhs: short term bupropion use - severe withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome @sjhs,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but I hope you can get some help and support on here. Unfortunately the symptoms can be very debilitating as you say, but they will go away eventually. How long it will take varies a lot, so comparing to others is usually not helpful and might cause more frustration in the long run. This link could explain what you're experiencing a bit better:

What is withdrawal syndrome

Do you take any other drugs or supplements currently? If so it's good to include that in your signature as well. This includes alcohol.

Writing your signature

In some cases reinstatement at a much lower dose might work for some people, usually within 3 months after the last dose. It's not guaranteed to work so it is up to each person to decide. After reinstatement it can then be tapered more slowly to hopefully prevent symptoms a little better.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL / Zyban (buproprion)

I would wait with making a decision right away and instead get back to us with your thoughts about it. Bupropion seems questionable to reinstate in some situations, but if you are interested in doing that I will ask other mods on here for their advice.

Feel free to ask any questions you have in this introduction topic. It's also a good place to keep a record of changes in symptoms and any progress. Please keep us updated so we know how you're doing.

Take care.

2011-2015: Escitalopram (Cipralex) 20 mg, Voxra 300 mg (quit Voxra in late 2015, no issues)

2016: Started tapering Escitalopram 5 mg at a time, every fourth week

July 24th, 2016: Escitalopram 5 mg

April 2nd, 2017: Quit last dosage (WD worsened a lot)

Ca 6 last months of 2017: Taking Diazepam 15-25 mg irregularly, less than once a month

Ca Dec 2017: Out of Diazepam, i.e free from all prescribed drugs

Now: Still drug free

Supplements: Irregular intake of Omega-3, magnesium, vitamin D.

Thanks so much for your response.

I think I really need some reassurance that it does pass eventually. I was optimistic for the first few weeks but am starting to lose faith. There seem to be so many stories of people experiencing such symptoms for years!

I am not on anything else at the moment. I stopped everything immediately after these symptoms. I have lost all faith in medications. I was taking a little bit of codeine while on it.

It is like nothing I have ever experienced before. I have a conversation with someone and struggle to recall any details of it afterwards.

I have tried a couple of times to restart bupropion for a day or two, but it has not really helped. I think I will just keep preserving without it for now. I guess the only thing to do is wait it out?

Thanks again for all your help xx

Edited by ChessieCat
extracted response from quote box and deleted quote

Severe withdrawal since.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome from me too,

13 minutes ago, sjhs said:

I have tried a couple of times to restart bupropion for a day or two

Please add this information including the dose and the dates (approximate if not known, eg early, mid, late and month name) to your signature.  Thank you.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

You might find this topic helpful:

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

And these:

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Please continue to let us know how you are. 

A message from SA's founder, Altostrata.  There is a link to a recent interview with her in my signature.

On 11/7/2020 at 8:23 AM, Altostrata said:

This is such a vital community because members help each other. It wouldn't be what it is without that mutual kindness and attention.

One of the things that's very important to each person here is knowing that healing is possible. Please don't just go away when you feel better! "Pay it forward" by updating your Intro topic with your progress and come back to post your success story when you are finally clear of all those awful symptoms.

Nothing is more valuable to the community than seeing how recovery happens. You have lots of people hoping you'll get better. Please let them know when you do.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

@sjhs Many of us really do understand that feeling and it can be hard to hold on to faith at times. Focusing on the cases where it has taken many years can be destructive, since we might recover a lot sooner. Trying to focus on the people recovering or making progress is a good way to get through this. Focusing on any progress you experience is also really important. That's why writing down current symptoms is helpful, so that you can look back later and see that it most likely has improved in one way or another.

The links ChessieCat provided give a lot of insight about this, many find it helpful to read some of those when in WD. It can make it easier to maintain a healthy/realistic perspective which is hard at times but so important to get through it I think.

Edited by Sunnyday

2011-2015: Escitalopram (Cipralex) 20 mg, Voxra 300 mg (quit Voxra in late 2015, no issues)

Ca 6 last months of 2017: Taking Diazepam 15-25 mg irregularly, less than once a month

• Moderator Emeritus

You might also find some helpful things in this topic.  Unfortunately because they are quotes of posts from around the site you cannot search for a term to find it.  But there are some real nuggets in there.

Best of SA - Favourite advice and insights

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you both so much for your comments so far and for the resources you have provided. It has been amazing of you.

I will keep posting regularly and hopefully find a way through this in time.

Best wishes.

Severe withdrawal since.

On 12/15/2020 at 5:47 AM, sjhs said:

but a constant feeling of dizziness/light-headedness (the most debilitating symptom)

I’m having the same symptom from withdrawing from Fluoxetine. It’s awful. Just wanted to know you’re not alone. I hope you see improvement soon. 

Approx. 2010 - 2015 sertraline and Xanax (cannot remember doses)
2015 - 2020  CT’d sertraline/Xanax combo and went on fluoxetine (80mg) and Clonazepam (.5mg as needed) at Psych’s advice

September 2020 - bupropion (300mg) - took only 3 doses before getting horrible tinnitus and stopping CT

Week of 20th October 2020 - took 80mg Monday, 40 Tuesday, 20 Wednesday, nothing Thursday, and final 20 Friday (on doctor advice)

December 24 2020 - January 3 2021 - Reinstated Fluoxetine at 10mg (Dec 24th). Too much, tapered down to 5mg (Dec 28). Too much, tapered down to 2.5mg (Dec 31st). Still too much, tapered down to my current 1.25mg (Jan 3 2021).
Currently taking 2mg of Clonazepam. One at night and one in the morning. Fluoxetine (1.25mg) at night. Fish Oil (360mg 3x daily) and Magnesium (122mg a pill, 2 in the afternoon, 1 at night plus another 100mg in hearing sups for my tinnitus)

Also a bunch of other supplements recommended by my ENT in case some of my symptoms are not withdrawal related, so won’t list them here. As well as supplements to treat my tinnitus which is a toxic reaction symptom I received by being proscribed Bupropion while still on Prozac.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi @sjhs, how have you been lately?

Hi @Sunnyday,

Thanks so much for taking the time to ask.

I am much better now with short term memory and concentration issues which is great.

The dizziness is still my biggest problem though. I just can't seem to get on top of it. I have tried exercising a bit but after 10 or 20 mins the dizziness makes it impossible. With a bit of luck it clears up in the coming weeks. 

All the best.

Severe withdrawal since.

• Moderator Emeritus

@sjhs It's great to hear there's improvement. Good sign I think. I'm sorry to hear about the dizziness though. Let's hope that improves soon as well. Finding a balance can be a bit tricky at times, between resting and exercising for the sake of recovering.

Take care.

Edited by Sunnyday