Baxter

Baxter: struggling with Cymbalta

Baxter

On 3/17/2019 at 10:48 AM, Baxter said:

Baxter

So it's April in Massachusetts. Beautiful, hopeful springish days followed by raw, rainy/sleety 30 degree days. The daffodils are ignoring the temp changes and proceeding to bloom  on schedule in the sleet. 

I've been dealing with a few health issues that may be related to taking citalopram...Last summer after I finished switching from Cymbalta to citalopram, I started experiencing recurring hoarseness and sore throat. Was diagnosed with acid reflux, started taking xantac, which helped with some of the acid reflux, but the sore throat and hoarsenss still recurred. (cant take prilosec because mixing it with citalopram increases risk of heart issues. Apparently, citalopram combined with a few other substances can mess up heart beat.) I was in speech therapy for a couple of months to see if I could work out  spasms in my throat. I;m still waiting for endoscopy to make sure that there isn't something wrong with my esophagus. But hoarseness, sore throat, bruxism, are all side effects associated with Celexa, so I'm trying to not worry about some yet to be revealed medical horror while waiting for my endoscopy appointment, which was booked 6 weeks out from my last doctor appt. I also am annoyed that I had to read about side effects on med inserts and MedLine instead of discussing them with my psychopharm doc. 

Meanwhile, I'm still working at Department Store. I recently cut my hours down to see if my energy level would improve...Reducing hours has resulted in some good things - I've been outside with the dogs more and I started sewing and enjoying it. I'm planning to go on a weekend quilting retreat in May, which was not at all appealing a couple of months ago.

Now the question I'm asking myself: should I drop again? Wait and enjoy the window Im in?  Reducing doses of liquid citalopram certainly is easier to manage than counting spheres of Cymbalta. But I'm really liking how I'm feeling right now. 

Baxter

I've started a slide down to 14 mg Citalopram

Carmie

All the best with your latest drop Baxter, 

Let us know how you’re doing. Could you please update your signature too, thank you. 

Sending hugs🤗

Baxter

I've been at 14mg of Celexa since April 21. I went to the quilting retreat and had a pretty good time. I was productive and didn't eat a mountain of desserts, so that feels pretty good too. My throat is still bothering me, endoscopy is not till this summer so I guess the MD in charge of that area of my body is not too worried(?).

Meanwhile, I am still working at Department Store. I have had a couple of MISERABLE headaches in the past month - Show stoppers that wrecked entire days. Always after a shift at Department Store...There are so many horrifying perfumey objects, I wonder if that sets me off...I'm thinking of changing jobs, but to what I don't know. I find that getting out and talking/joking with teenaged coworkers is really fun. The plastic, the scents (OMG what is up with scented candles and new scented laundry products?)

I don't know where I could get a part time job that doesn't involve a candle department...

So I'm pretty good now - don't know if May is going to be a citalopram reduction month. I don't want to jinx myself by dropping too quickly, although it seems to be going pretty well.

So glad to be able to drop in and record my progress.

Songbird

Glad to hear you're doing well.  Keeping it slow and stable is the way to go. It's good to hold a while longer when your body tells you it needs a break.

Baxter

My latest drop has been a total non-event! I experienced nothing that I relate to as WD symptoms. So glad I made the switch to liquid citalopram. Not dropping again for a couple/few weeks.