Nic123: 3 months on Escitalopram 5mg, 4 months off and i'm left with severe emotional blunting, PSSD, feel blank, brain fog, anhedonia. Will I ever get better????

Hello, I was taking Escitalopram for 2.7 months (including taper) at 5mg, so the lowest dose, i tapered off in a couple weeks and had no noticeable withdrawals like brain zaps etc. I started taking it for anxiety i had about my body and just general low moods. In the beginning it was amazing, i almost felt euphoric during the time on it for a while although i felt emotional blunting and things just didn't feel that good to do which i assume is anhedonia, i stayed on it as it absolutely helped me feel calm about mostly everything which i did like at the time. My sex drive was decreased but not by all that much. I got off it as i couldn't deal with the emotional blunting any longer. 

I've now been off it for 4 months and the past couple weeks i seem to be just getting worst and worst with no end in sight. It wasn't untill about 2 months after stopping where my sex drive literally disappeared overnight and seems to be getting worst as time goes on which is called PSSD. as well as the emotional blunting, cognitive issues, memory problems and Anhedonia which got 100x worst than when i was on the meds. another concern i have is a blank mind which is exactly how it sounds, nothing really goes on inside my head anymore, even "thinking" has become sometimes impossible. I just feel this flat/neutral feeling about everything where i just cant "feel" anything no matter how hard i try, complete apathy with no desire to really do anything anymore. I would have never got on this drug if i knew there was a possibility to be ridded of all my emotions. I go through the days just feeling like a complete zombie now and there just doesn't seem to be an end in sight  when everyday feels the same if not worst than the day before. Sleep is also terrible since being on and off lexapro. Its taking me forever to fall asleep no matter how tired i feel and waking up in the morning NEVER feels restful. I'm groggy and tired regardless of hours slept. Sleep feels very shallow now. 

I know im probably not thinking correctly in my state but i have read MANY stories of people with similar symptoms and see years have gone by and they still dont feel completely like they were before the meds and that just makes me feel like there is no hope for me. I cant live like this, it would be utter pointless being in existence with how i feel. Its not even depression, Its a complete absence of the human experience and i feel like a robot with no emotions.

I was also on lexapro same 5mg dose for a couple weeks in 2017. Come off from i remember the emotional numbness but i went back to normal fairly quickly from what i can remember. 

WILL i recover?

Edited by Gridley

2014 Duloxetine, took for a couple of weeks and stopped was aged 17 at the time CT brain zaps etc. 

2017 Lexapro 5mg, hard to remember but i took this for a couple months ago for social anxiety. Stopped CT, brain zaps etc. 

2020  oct-dec, Escitalopram, 5mg took for a total of 2.7 months including taper, tapered for a couple weeks. 

still not right. Emotional blunting, brain fog, anhedonia, PSSD, blank mind, cognitive issues. 

Gridley

Welcome to SA, Nic123.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Short answer: yes, you will recover though we can't predict how long it will take.  Everyone is different.  I suggest you Google "SurvivingAntidepressants.org escitalopram lexapro success stories" for some encouraging accounts of recovery from this drug.  I've been off 20 mg Lexapro for a bit over six months (after being on it for 16 years) and am slowly healing.

The symptoms you describe are typical of antidepressant withdrawal (which, by the way, doctors don't believe exists).  The difference between your experience in 2017 and your current situation is that in 2017 you were on the Escitalopram for only two weeks, which is not long enough to cause withdrawal.  A person is at risk of withdrawal after one month of taking a psychiatric drug, and this time you were on the drug for 2.7 months, with a very short taper.  So that you have a better idea of what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal and the healing process.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

One possibility I want to bring up is reinstatement.  Reinstatement of a very small dose of the previous drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  It works most dependably if done within 3 months after your last dose, and you're a bit beyond that.  It might work, or it might not.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

If you're interested in reinstatement please let us know and I'll suggest a reinstatement dose.  Please don't reinstate without letting us suggest a dosage.  Reinstating too much can destabilize you further.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg 1986-1991 CT, soon reinstated.  CT 2000. RI 1 mg 2011-2016.  Sept. 2016  0.625mg X 3

Nov.27, 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover + change to one 18.75mg dose, w/1 month hold.

Feb. 9, 2021, begin 10% every 4 weeks taper.  Current dose as of June 15: 10.5mgai.  Taper is  44% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan. 2016 began every 3-weeks 10% taper, down to 16mgai (44mgpw).  Aug 2016, discovered SA, holding at 16mg.  Taper is 78% complete.  

Supplements: omega, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg.

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to Nic123: 3 months on Escitalopram 5mg, 4 months off and i'm left with severe emotional blunting, PSSD, feel blank, brain fog, anhedonia. Will I ever get better????
Willfinish

I’m in the same condition man. 
If you want you can see my introduction topic where i describe my situation. 
after a year of symptoms i’m still here. Things have improved but it’s so slow. 
However i have some Windows feeling normal-ish. Do you have ? It could be a sign that you will heal for sure !

Cipralex 2 years treatment (January 2017 to March 2019, with a brief interruption). 

Cipralex 10 mg : January 2017 - July 2017.

Cipralex 5 mg: August 2017 - March 2018.  Start tapering 1 mg a month. 

Off the medication: August 2018.  Too fast tapering, crashed, doctor reinstated considering relapse. 

Cipralex 5 mg: September 2018 - December 2018.  Tired of emotional numbness, start tapering again, 1 mg a month (didn't know it was so fast, following my doctor advice). 

Off the medication: March 2019. 

PSSD and painful withdrawal symptoms: January 2020 until now. Some improvements but still struggling. 

Supplements: some Omega 3 and probiotics, a bit better. 

SpasticSurgeon

I’m in the same situation my friend. We can get through this together. Feel free to message me. 

Jan 2021-

• Contracted covid, extreme anxiety, tried on various drugs for 1-2 days in psych ward
  • lexapro(5mg) 2 weeks
  • seroquel (50-100mg) 1 week

Feb 2021- 

• Stopped both lexapro and seroquel with 1-2 day taper due to numbness/dpdr
  • Felt anxiety and emotions return for 2 weeks, dealing with anxiety again, then sudden numbness
  • 3 days of numbness
  • Got on Wellbutrin XL 150mg - present

April 2021- 

• Still taking Wellbutrin, which seems to help some with energy and a tiny bit with emotions, considering tapering off slowly if I can handle it. 

Thanks for the reply’s guys. It’s so scary not feeling like you once did. A few times I’ve wondered maybe this is just what people feel when they don’t have anxiety. I don’t think that’s it though as I feel pretty much numb to everything 

2014 Duloxetine, took for a couple of weeks and stopped was aged 17 at the time CT brain zaps etc. 

2017 Lexapro 5mg, hard to remember but i took this for a couple months ago for social anxiety. Stopped CT, brain zaps etc. 

2020  oct-dec, Escitalopram, 5mg took for a total of 2.7 months including taper, tapered for a couple weeks. 

still not right. Emotional blunting, brain fog, anhedonia, PSSD, blank mind, cognitive issues. 

Posted (edited)

Admin note: title before moving off another intro thread - Blank mind/loss of emotions after Lexapro

since ceasing my Lexapro 4 months ago i have been stuck in this weird mind state of just nothingness going on in my head, its almost as if the neurons or whatever they are have stopped firing and sending messages. Of course there is a tiny little bit as iam able to comprehend the situation and type this but it just feels like most of the time my mind is completely blank and eerily quite with nothing really going on up there. This is also coupled with complete lack of emotions/memory loss and cognitive struggles, cant feel a "vibe". The best way to describe it is just an inability to "access" my brain if that makes any sense. Its almost like I'm disconnected from it and even "thinking" is impossible. Before lexapro i could understand complex and abstract ideas, i was a very deep thinker and that all seems to be gone atm. One strange thing is because of this i have absolutely no anxiety or anxious feelings about anything, I'm almost to calm. I'm sometimes terrified i will be like this way forever now and it really feels like my life is completely over. 

I was taking 5mg escitalopram for 2.7 months including a taper with no Physical withdrawals like brain zaps etc so i thought id tapered correctly. 

Edited by Shep
added admin note

• Moderator Emeritus
SkyBlue

Hello Nic, and welcome.

A "weird mind state of nothingness" will certainly resonate with many here. You are not alone.

Can you please help us learn a little more about you by creating a brief "signature" using these instructions: 

I see that you were taking it for just 2.7 months. Were/are you taking anything else? Please include approximate dates/dosage changes if you can remember.

I promise your life isn't over. But I can understand feeling that way because of what you're going through. This experience can be extremely intense. I hope you will find useful info as well as community here on SA. Welcome.

Current: 2019: 0.04 mg Paxil!! This is real. Soon, after taking Paxil my entire adult life, I will be free.

Long story short: After 18 years on Paxil, "tapered" almost completely off over a month, at doctor's advice in July 2015.

Self-care includes magnesium, reasonable exercise, mindfulness, this forum and nutrition/eating enough food.

Also on 100 mg Zoloft unfortunately!! (which I now will have the knowledge to taper properly)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Longer version: On Paxil since 1996--anxiety & depression caused by (undiagnosed) under-eating / eating disorder.

Doctor kept increasing dose, up to 60 mg; it never really helped but said it really was the best "med" for me.

Rapid doctor-led "taper" July 2015, down to 5 mg, with Zoloft as a "cross-taper" = Essentially a cold turkey. 

Severe withdrawal but didn't know it; believed it was my "underlying condition," and kept tapering, 5mg to 4 to 3  to 2 to 1.  

Feb 2016: Found SA! As of June 2016, tapering from 1mg at rate of 5-10% per month, Brassmonkey Slide! 

SpasticSurgeon

Hey buddy. I think you’ve already seen my posts but I’m going through the same stuff off lexapro and seroquel. I’m not 100% sure that’s why I’m experiencing all my symptoms. But I believe it could be, and it’s similar to what you say. 

I can relate to what you say though. The blank mind and lack of emotions. I’m about 2.5 months out at a low dose and I feel like my mental clarity is coming back. For me personally it feels like the real me never left it’s just under the covers or something, and I notice I still react similarly in most situations I just don’t feel the same. I think it’s just a matter of time before myself is more fully back and I can recognize it. 

I understand the feeling of your life being over. I have broken down over it several times. Just remember that it’s not true at all and you just have to take it one day at a time. Sometimes one hour, or minute, or second, as they say. 

Jan 2021-

• Contracted covid, extreme anxiety, tried on various drugs for 1-2 days in psych ward
  • lexapro(5mg) 2 weeks

Feb 2021- 

• Felt anxiety and emotions return for 2 weeks, dealing with anxiety again, then sudden numbness
  • 3 days of numbness

April 2021- 

• Still taking Wellbutrin, which seems to help some with energy and a tiny bit with emotions, considering tapering off slowly if I can handle it. 

SpasticSurgeon
On 4/19/2021 at 4:54 AM, Nic123 said:

Thanks for the reply’s guys. It’s so scary not feeling like you once did. A few times I’ve wondered maybe this is just what people feel when they don’t have anxiety. I don’t think that’s it though as I feel pretty much numb to everything 

I understand what you mean. Lots of self-reflection to figure out if it’s just anxiety that left or other things (because I was dealing with extreme anxiety when I felt numb). I’m hoping therapy can help me narrow it down further and help me cope and understand myself. 

Jan 2021-

• lexapro(5mg) 2 weeks

Feb 2021- 

• 3 days of numbness

April 2021- 

3 hours ago, SpasticSurgeon said:

I understand what you mean. Lots of self-reflection to figure out if it’s just anxiety that left or other things (because I was dealing with extreme anxiety when I felt numb). I’m hoping therapy can help me narrow it down further and help me cope and understand myself. 

I've seen a lot of people say they feel numb or suffer anhedonia but also say they had extreme anxiety at the same time, for me literally every emotion is pretty much gone anxiety included.

12 hours ago, SkyBlue said:

Hello Nic, and welcome.

A "weird mind state of nothingness" will certainly resonate with many here. You are not alone.

Can you please help us learn a little more about you by creating a brief "signature" using these instructions: 

I see that you were taking it for just 2.7 months. Were/are you taking anything else? Please include approximate dates/dosage changes if you can remember.

I promise your life isn't over. But I can understand feeling that way because of what you're going through. This experience can be extremely intense. I hope you will find useful info as well as community here on SA. Welcome.

I've done my signature, completely forgot. I've taken nothing since 4 months ago, except fish oil, vitamin D and B complex occasionally. 

I really hope not, i feel brain dead most of the time like ive suffered some sort of brain damage, but hopefully i can regain full function again.

SpasticSurgeon
7 hours ago, Nic123 said:

I've seen a lot of people say they feel numb or suffer anhedonia but also say they had extreme anxiety at the same time, for me literally every emotion is pretty much gone anxiety included.

Sorry I should have been more clear. Anxiety is gone for me too, I just meant right before I felt numb I had bad anxiety. There is still some anxiety now but it feels different from before.

Jan 2021-

• lexapro(5mg) 2 weeks

Feb 2021- 

• 3 days of numbness

April 2021- 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Admin note: title before merging from Symptoms & Self-Care thread - Should I be taking Vitamins? Especially B vitamins?

I’m 4 months off escitlopram and have been having a very very bad time regarding brain fog, anhedonia, emotion loss, blank head, loss of sex drive. 

I’m wondering if it’s a good thing if I take fish oil, vitamin D3, probiotic and a B complex? I know they probably won’t make much of a difference in feeling ‘better’ but they can’t do harm can they??

I have the mthfr gene which means I lack B vitamins or something I think.

Edited by Shep
added title

• 4 weeks later...
Nic123
Posted (edited)

Admin note: Title of post before merging - (update) 5 months since stopping escitalopram, starting to lose hope.

I posted about 2 months ago regarding, Blank mind (no thoughts, thinking problems) extreme brain fog, emotional numbness, pssd. Nothing has changed at all regarding severity of it all regardless of being as healthy as possible and lifting weights daily. The emotional numbness/anhedonia is getting to me the worst though. i just feel flat all day everyday. There is no ups and downs and i really feel completely brain dead. A few times I've wondered if I've partially died and only my Basic functioning remains to keep my physical form alive. The thing is i can "partially" enjoy my hobbies still, its just nothing grabs me the same way as before. I do think the anhedonia has partially gotten better. I can watch a show/YouTube and slightly "enjoy" it so i guess that's an improvement. I also take vitamins B complex, d3, fish oil, zinc, magnesium. I've often wondered if maybe they have made me worst but i have no idea. 

Edited by Shep
added title before merging from a second intro thread

• Administrator

@Nic123 I just merged several Intro threads and one Symptoms & Self Care thread into your first Introduction thread. Please continue to use this thread to ask questions. I think you'll get more and faster responses that way. Please note we only allow one Introduction thread per member. This allows you to keep all of your information in one place. 

5 hours ago, Nic123 said:

I also take vitamins B complex, d3, fish oil, zinc, magnesium. I've often wondered if maybe they have made me worst but i have no idea. 

Yes, you're correct to be concerned about your supplements, as some supplements can cause problems. This is especially true for B and D3 vitamins, as they tend to be stimulating. Please see:

Supplements - what helps, what doesn't? Herbs, vitamins, amino acids, etc.

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Vitamin B3 (niacin, niacinamide)

Vitamin B8 (inositol)

Vitamin B12: essential for mood, nervous system

With a B complex vitamin pill, you are adding in more than one vitamin, which can complicate the picture. 

Here's information on vitamin D3: 

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol or calcitriol)

Please use the search feature or google "surviving antidepressants.org" + [name of supplement] to research any and all vitamins. 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

When adding in or subtracting supplements, we advise only making one change at a time and in small increments. Please see:

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

5 hours ago, Nic123 said:

I do think the anhedonia has partially gotten better. I can watch a show/YouTube and slightly "enjoy" it so i guess that's an improvement.

This is great news! Yes, withdrawal takes an absurd amount of time, but you're seeing improvements, so that shows your mind/body is resilient and you're on your way to recovery. It just takes time. 

These are some things that can help you heal:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...
Nic123

UPDATE: I think the anhedonia is lifting very slowly. I seem to have more days where I feel like I can reasonably enjoy thing. Still not back to pre ssri state but it’s something.

• Administrator

Excellent update, Nic. Thanks for letting us know of your improvements. It's a slow healing process, but you're getting there. 

Drug free May 22, 2015 after 30 years of neuroleptics, benzos, z-drugs, so-called "anti"-depressants, and amphetamines 

My Success Story:  Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good — need we ask anyone to tell us these things? ~ Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

BlondeAndDrugged

Hey @Nic123 and @SpasticSurgeon

Nic I feel so similar to you, every symptom you mentioned is something I’m struggling with too, the emotional deadness is the worst although the cognitive impairment and lack of thoughts is horrible.  I haven’t been able to get off my meds yet, so I’m glad you were, and are feeling a bit better.  I’d kill to get off these but last time I tried I was so impaired I couldn’t handle it.

anyway just wanted to say I sympathize an share this too, hope you guys get better.

2009-2010 - Ritalin/adderall, citralopram, clonazepam, none of these taken more than 1 month, cold turkeyed all

2021:  5/11 put on 2mg risperdol, 1200mg lithium.  6/6 1.2mg risp, 900mg lith.  6/14 1mg risp, 600 mg lith.

Supplements - fish oil ,niacin, d3, chelated magnesium

9 hours ago, BlondeAndDrugged said:

Hey @Nic123 and @SpasticSurgeon

Nic I feel so similar to you, every symptom you mentioned is something I’m struggling with too, the emotional deadness is the worst although the cognitive impairment and lack of thoughts is horrible.  I haven’t been able to get off my meds yet, so I’m glad you were, and are feeling a bit better.  I’d kill to get off these but last time I tried I was so impaired I couldn’t handle it.

anyway just wanted to say I sympathize an share this too, hope you guys get better.

So sorry you have to also be dealing with all this, i know exactly how you are feeling. Wouldn’t wish it upon my worst enemy. I can say that things seem to be getting better. I don’t feel as “dead” and I seem to be able to get invested/obsessed with my hobbies slightly again so that must be something to do with dopamine coming back? I’m certainly far from how I was before but I’m forgetting about it more and more. I also wouldn’t worry to much as you are still taking the meds. So right now you “know” it’s the meds causing it and nothing else.