Shanti

Supplements - what helps, what doesn't? Herbs, vitamins, amino acids, etc.

Shanti

ADMIN NOTE

▪ Be cautious when adding supplements.

Do your own research on each one that interests you. 

▪ Introduce them one at a time and start with a low dose before gradually increasing.

Also see

Don't waste your money on these supplements

Can you take too many supplements?

Multivitamin tips

There are many topics about specific supplements in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum. To find them, use search in the Symptoms forum or look at this list:

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Hi. When you all say that you're sensitive to supplements, can you tell me how so? I started taking a Brain Supplement that contains Ginko Bilboa Extract, Rosemary leaf, Leci-PS Phosphatidyl Serine, Huperzine A, L-Glutamine, Gotu Kola and Choline. I just started taking it yesterday and today I feel yucky, groggy, shaky, nervous and heart palpitations. Is this was it does to people in w/d?

Edited by Altostrata
updated admin note

Altostrata

People who have withdrawal hypersensitivity can get odd reactions to supplements that a normal person would be able to take with no noticeable side effects.

We recommend that people with withdrawal hypersensitivity not take mixed supplements, because you won't know which of the ingredients you're reacting to.

Shaky, nervous, and heart palpitations are frequent hypersensitive reactions.

Shanti

Thanks Alto. I'm definitely not going to be taking anymore of that!

Milkthystle

Hi Shanti. You are probably taking the brain supplements to help the brain fog thing? I had/have the same thing and what really helps is to drink water. Maybe that is something you are already doing, if so I'm sorry to tell you something you already know. I don't drink TONS of water, but I have a little plastic bottle thats about 20oz and I keep water in it and sip all day. I've always taken supplements but cut some of the doses by half during this withdrawal time. For example: calcium tablets the bottle says take two a day, so I take one. My MSM (for joints) says take two a day, so I take 1 a day and sometimes skip a day on that particular supplement. Even my protein powder for smoothies, it has tons of vitamins in it, I only use half a scoop or less instead of a whole scoop. I guess my thinking is that even if something is "good", by body needs a break. Water helps though, also small meals more often helps the brain I think. But that's another subject, I've talked too much already! Take care and hope you feel better today.

Shanti

I totally feel the same Milkthystle. I see these things that would be good for my brain and nervous system but it's just too sensitive right now. When I'm through with withdrawal, I'll get more into the remedies. It does occur to me to drink more water, but I keep forgetting! It would be helpful to drink more.

I'm feeling better after not taking the brain supplement now. I'll save it for the future to get my brain into better shape.

Nikki

Alto I didn't know you were WDing too. Can you please post the supplements you may be taking, if any?

Thank you.

Altostrata

Well, I'm tapering lamotrigine. It's a long story.

I'm a menopausal woman. I'm taking

- fish oil (6 capsules per day) with vitamin E (400IU) (At least 2,000mg EPA + DHA per day)

- multivitamin with minerals (no iron)

- 100mg CoQ10

- 300mg niacinamide

- 1000mg extended-release vitamin C (in divided doses)

- 1200IU vitamin D

- lots of calcium citrate

- 75mg-100mg magnesium citrate

- 81mg aspirin

plus, I was taking betacarotene for vitamin A and I think I'll take it again -- my eyes are irritated from allergies.

Nikki

Thanks Alto ~

Is the calcium citrate in a tablet as well as magnesium citrate. Years back I took it in a liquid form, and it had me in the bathroom.

What is niacinamide for? And is CoQ10 for memory?

I tolerate fish oil, multi vits and C. Right now I don't know about B complex. I can only try and see what happens.

I know people who said B's are very calming for them.

Thanks

Altostrata

I would not take a B vitamin supplement. I've found vitamin B6 in particular to be too activating for me.

I chose my multivitamin partly because it contains low B6 -- 3mg. I mostly take it for the trace minerals.

The calcium tablets I take are actually calcium citrate and maleate. These are highly absorbable forms of calcium.

COQ10 is for energy.

See the niacinamide topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/43-vitamin-b3-niacin-niacinamide/page__p__51__hl__niacinamide__fromsearch__1#entry51

I take these supplements because they suit my particular needs. The supplements I found that are most useful for withdrawal symptoms are fish oil (with vit E), magnesium, and aspirin, which I take in the evening to help me relax.

Jemima

Thanks Alto ~

Is the calcium citrate in a tablet as well as magnesium citrate. Years back I took it in a liquid form, and it had me in the bathroom.

What is niacinamide for? And is CoQ10 for memory?

I tolerate fish oil, multi vits and C. Right now I don't know about B complex. I can only try and see what happens.

I know people who said B's are very calming for them.

Thanks

I also take calcium citrate in tablet form, which I buy in GNC brand because calcium citrate is all that's in the caplets. I had trouble finding a brand that didn't include magnesium or Vitamin D or zinc or all three of them, always in the wrong amounts. I take powdered magnesium glyconate in capsule form, two 133 mg. caps a day. More than that and I also spend a lot of time in the bathroom.

I take a form of COQ10 called Ubiquinol, which is supposed to be more absorbable by older people (I'm 66). I take 50 mg. a day to repair the muscular wasting that occurred from taking Lipitor.

I take a number of other supplements, some of them for pollen allergies and osteoporosis, but not niacinamide. I tried a B Complex caplet, which was too stimulating.

It's always an individual thing, unlike mainstream medicine which seems to think one size fits all. <_<

Nikki

Thanks folks....Jemima I had to laugh at the part of your post about too much magnesium :lol:

dalsaan

Hi everyone,

I am continuing the search for stuff that might help my sleep. One question I have, how long should I give a new supplement like milk peptides or l-theanine before I can say it as or hasn't worked. I tend to be fairly impatient (read desperate) and may be moving on too quickly

Any advice much appreciated

Altostrata

Neither of those supplements needs to be built up in your bloodstream over time. You should feel whether they work fairly quickly.

You need more than one trial before you can see a pattern, or know if the effect is from the supplement or something else.

nicklesprout

Hi,

I'm currently on a slew of supplements, and I'd like to find additional supplements that actually do help with my heightened anxiety levels. Here's what I'm on:

B-100 complex

Vitamin C

Vitamin D

Omega 3 6 9

Flaxseed

Wheatgrass powder

Chlorella

Calcium-Magnesium

Soy Lecithin

Rice Protein

Relax-eze (Dr. Christopher's)

Can anyone chime in with some supplements to add to this that may actually work to help my anxiety levels, especially morning anxiety? Does L-arginine, glycine, and Phosphatidylserine actually work? Anything else you can think of?

Jemima

I found that Phosphatidylserine worked to the point of making me drowsy when I didn't want to be. It also badly upset my stomach, so I no longer take it.

It would be very helpful if you'd post your history of psychiatric drug use in your signature. (Instructions are here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/page__pid__30171#entry30171.) Many times the use of supplements can be overstimulating when a person is withdrawing from antidepressants and other psychotropic drugs. The supplements themselves may be causing or aggravating your anxiety, in other words. I reacted badly to a B vitamin complex during withdrawal. Fish oil, calcium, and magnesium seem to work fairly well even for people who are over-sensitized.

alexjuice

Hi,

I'm currently on a slew of supplements, and I'd like to find additional supplements that actually do help with my heightened anxiety levels. Here's what I'm on:

B-100 complex

Vitamin C

Vitamin D

Omega 3 6 9

Flaxseed

Wheatgrass powder

Chlorella

Calcium-Magnesium

Soy Lecithin

Rice Protein

Relax-eze (Dr. Christopher's)

Hi there,

To echo, some of your supplements can be stimulating. For me, I had big trouble with lecithin. I had for a while also trouble with denatured protein powders (I assume your Rice is undenatured), B vitamins. I also have a problem with vit D.

I do my best to add supplements (and foods) one at a time and give each several days of trial.

As for calming supplements, magnesium works for many. Mg citrate and glycinate are most favored but malate works for some too. Niacinamide, Taurine, Chamommille, Theanine. There are threads on all of these, I think, and others. Try search and the 'Symptoms' forum.

Also, it's important to check interactions if you take any medication at all.

nicklesprout

Does the phosphatidylserine work in smaller amounts to decrease morning anxiety by regulating cortisol levels? Anybody have any thoughts on glycine or l-arginine or other supplements?

Barbarannamated

I often look to veterinary medicine which tends to more holistic and supplement-based. We had some thunderstorms and quivering dogs the past several days. Found a supplement, Quiet Moments, that worked like a charm. It contains:

Chamomile, passion flower, thiamine (vitamin B-1, also used with anxious horses), ginger, and L-tryptophan.

I was surprised at how effective it was and made note of the ingredients. I would caution the use of tryptophan because it is related to serotonin.

I'm not suggesting use of a dog supplement, but thought I'd mention the ingredients as an FYI.

Altostrata

I'm worried about these, any of which can cause anxiety or a paradoxical reaction:

B-100 complex

Vitamin D

Soy Lecithin

Nicklesprout, can you take these separately, one by one, and see how they affect you?

Relax-eze (Dr. Christopher's) -- on principle, I'm wary of mixed supplements. If you get a bad reaction, you won't know which ingredient did it.

When do you take this? How does it affect you?

nicklesprout

I take the Relax-Eze during the day and it doesn't really do anything at all as far as I can tell, so I don't take it too often.

In regards to the B 100, Soy Lecithin, and Vitamin D, I was taking the D due to low D levels in my bloodstream. The Soy Lecithin to combat any extra pyramidal symptoms which could arise although i have none as of now, and the B 100 just because. I could quit taking the Soy Lecithin and the Vitamin B100 to see if that helps, but what about taking Niacin? Thoughts on that?

jfrank17

The supplement I'm most convinced I felt an effect from was magnesium. I know fish oil is supposed to be a good one but I could never say for sure if I felt a noticeable effect or not. I also did feel that melatonin helped with getting to sleep. I used the sublingual by Source Naturals.

nicklesprout

I get Peter Gillham's Natural Calm brand version of calcium-magnesium. It does seem to help take the edge off if i drink enough of it.

Altostrata

Nicklesprout, if vitamin D isn't setting off any bad reactions, definitely keep taking it.

The others may or may not be helping. Where did you see lecithin helps extrapyramidal symptoms?

nicklesprout

I've read that online somewhere, not sure where though, my Dr actually put me on it.

Nadia

I took Seriphos on two separate occasions for about two months each time. I'm not positive it helped, but it didn't hurt. From my notes it seemed I improved considerably AFTER taking it for two months and then stopping. Not sure if that was coincidence or not. I would take one at night before dinner and then one every time I woke up during the night, but not past 7am.

I think magnesium is the one with the clearest short-term effect. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I now take 250mg niacinamide and 40mL magnesium chloride suspension (I'd have to look at my calculations to see the mg equivalent). The two combined seem to do a good job of calming me down enough to sleep another hour and a half.

I take l-arginine for other reasons, and wonder if it helps... not really sure.

Trepanist

To improve working memory and cognition i've heard great things about Piracetam and Citicoline.  I don't want to take them while on Wellbutrin, but want to try if I can't hack Welly.

Altostrata

Anything that is stimulating probably will make withdrawal symptoms worse. Anything that is sedating might have a paradoxical effect. A nootropic may conflict with other drugs or supplements you are taking.

When you have withdrawal syndrome, your nervous system is in a very vulnerable state. Experiment with nootropics at your own risk. To limit possible adverse reactions, try a very small amount to begin with.

See topics in the Symptoms forum about specific supplements.

Addax

There appears to be a good number of people taking vitamins, minerals, and/or other supplements.  I've found it difficult to keep track of all the things people are taking and why they are taking them.  I know there are threads that talk about various supplements, but I thought perhaps it might be good to have a thread where people could post what vitamin, mineral and/or supplement they are taking and brief description as to why.  Maybe even add if you have felt a benefit.  

I'll start...

B-Complex vitamin: Because I don't consume any animal products.  I've taken this for a number of years and can't recall whether I

noticed a difference when I began taking it. 

Vitamin D: Blood work revealed a deficiency.  I take it only during the winter months (U.S.), when the days are shorter.  Its been several                   years since I started taking this, but I do recall feeling less fatigued once I started taking it.  

compsports

I just wanted to caution folks that just because something isn't an "evil" drug doesn't mean it is harmless.  I say that as one who is beginning to think I am intolerant of most supplements.

I also just realized that coconut oil is elevating my heart rate and yes there are anectodal reports about this.

If you have strange symptoms, besides the meds, look at the supplements and foods are you eating.   They might be the culprit.

CS

Lilu

So I finished my taper 3 weeks ago, and whoa...Dr.Jekyll & Mr.Hide showed up, as well as all his crazy cousins. Good lord, I'm a basket case! lol

I'm experiencing constant anxiety, which is a new is a new symptom for me.  I didn't experience anxiety during the bulk of my taper.  The type of anxiety that I'm having feels like a perpetual tightness in the pit of my stomach, not just nervousness.

Also my heart races when I lie down at night.  My heart rate is too high to begin with, but what's up with the racing? Can alcohol cause a rebound affect?  Those yummy Cosmos are just about the only thing that calms me down.

I've also been struggling with insomnia for over a month, which could explain the extremely low tolerance level to any kind of stress.  I'm very reactive and easily upset. I finally had a full night's sleep last night after taking 1 mg of Klonopin.  Normally, 1 mg of Klonopin would cause me to be extremely lethargic the next day. But not this time. I am kind of shocked.  I'm still wired and anxious today.

Am I going through some kind of manic stage?  It seems like all the waves have showed up at once. During the taper I would have a period of anger & rage, a period of insomnia, a period of crying spells, etc. Now they've all joined the party, and brought their friend anxiety along!

I've read lots of posts about people's varied experience as to what supplements helped them. But I'm truly at a loss.  I have rarely needed calming supplements, since my depression was always the lethargic kind.  But now, it seems that I've swung to the other extreme. Except that I'm exhausted from all the anxiety and anger.

Any thoughts about the supplements listed here?
http://ndnr.com/anxietydepressionmental-health/natural-approaches-to-anxiety/
N-acetylcysteine
L-theanine
Phosphatidylserine
Banaba leaf (corosolic acid)
4-Amino-3-phenylbutyric acid
Taurine
Glycine

I'm trying phosphotidylserine the last few days, but I almost think that it has made my anxiety worse. Is that possible?

Also considering Ashwaghanda or Rhodiola, not sure which.

A naturapathic doctor in my family recommended that I take this Adrenal Supportsupplement [/size]http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/product/adrenal-support-60-caps/1507/

She says that herbs work synergistically and taking only one at a time is not as beneficial. I just don't know.

Lilu

I found this thread on phosphotidylserine, now I wonder if I have to take it at lunchtime, because my anxiety is worse in the afternoon and evening.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1852-how-to-reduce-cortisol-both-rx-and-natural/?hl=%2Badrenal+%2Bsupport#entry7586

The supplement I'm taking is from VitaCost: 

http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-phosphatidylserine-complex-1000-mg-per-serving-60-softgels-2

SerinAid®
(Standardized to 20% phosphatidylserine) 1000 mg *
  Phosphatidylserine 200 mg *
  Phosphatidylcholine 90 mg *
  Phosphatidylethanolamine 20 mg *

jamesrbc

Hi guys,

I took effexor for 1 year.I withdrew bead by bead over 3 months .earlier i got some seizure type activity when i took it for 3 months and then withdrew. I think vitamins and herbs may help.waht is your suggestion

Meimeiquest

The Symptoms and Self-Care section has lots of information

Moonlitelotus

I have gone thru many threads about amino acids, vitamins, supplements and I've heard things from this worked for me all the way to just leave your body alone. Not really sure what to do. I'm making this thread in hopes that people who have had success with something will list what helped them feel better because either I'm not reading the right thread or there is no thread where I can find a definitive answer. I know that everyone is different and what works for one might not work for all but it would be nice to know what to try.