Goodluck: Mirtazapine / Remeron withdrawal 4 months after 0

goodluck

On 1/24/2022 at 10:58 AM, goodluck said:

Dear Gentlehermione

Thank you very much for your message and the reassuring words. I am very sorry that you are also in the middle of another violent wave!

I felt the same as you two months ago. After experiencing several windows, I already had the feeling that I was practically cured...! Unfortunately, this is not the case. 

Well, we will get through this wave too, no matter how hard it is. I'll be in touch with you in another way.

Warm greetings and all the best in advance

Goodluck

Goodluck did you ever find out if your ebv was active still?

- 10 mg lexparo 1.5 years

- ativan for panic 0.5 , never more than once daily and not everyday for 4 years.

-cold turkeyed in June 5 of 2021.

Buspar a few days and had severe muscle pain. July 26, 27, then 30 of 2021.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear members

After a long, deliberate absence, I am getting back to you all. I needed some distance from all the psychotropic drug problems.

I am now exactly 14 months after 0 Mirtazapine. My healing went up in very small steps and I already experienced several windows between 4 - 10 days.

About a week ago I made probably the biggest mistake during my withdrawal so far and visited an elderly healer in Switzerland who was highly recommended to me by an acquaintance. I made the decision during a severe wave of symptoms. Although I explained my situation to the lady and felt very well that day until the treatment began. She treated me with electricity for several hours via alleged energy pathways in the body. The treatment was very painful and after about 30 minutes I already felt severe stomach and back pain.

Since that day, my body and mind have been completely out of balance again. The withdrawal symptoms have returned as violently as they did a few years ago.

The chest / abdominal and stomach muscles have been so tense since then that I feel like it is tearing my muscles. I have extreme shortness of breath and can hardly sleep. The stomach and abdominal pain became so severe yesterday that I had to go to hospital as an emergency. There I was given painkillers and all the necessary tests were carried out, all without any abnormalities.

I am extremely afraid that the lady has triggered a wave that has once again completely unbalanced the body and mind. The nervousness and inner turmoil are almost unbearable. 

For the first time since the whole withdrawal, I have been struggling with the idea of taking a small amount of a drug again, which of course I don't want to do on principle. However, enduring the symptoms in this severity is hardly possible for a longer period of time. The feelings are really life-threatening and I have lost all joy in life. 

Have any of you also experienced something like this for such a long time after 0 ?!

I am extremely sad, helpless and hopeless at the moment. I am therefore grateful for any good advice.

Warm regards

Goodluck 

Jan.  – April            2014                    Burnout / Exhaustion depression / 3 weeks total insomnia / Benzodiazepin / Temesta 1 – 4 mg / Drug was increased continuously

May                        2014                    Withdrawal in a Swiss Clinic / most horrible experience of my life / the feeling of having died 1000 times / 3 years completely unable to work / worst symptoms such as chest pressure, shortness of breath, severe abdominal pain and headaches

June                       2014                    Mirtazapin/Remeron 30 mg /due to the strong withdrawal symptoms and the strong fears

July 2014  -  Dez. 2020                    Reducing & stopping the Mirtazapin / Remeron completely / steady reductions of 5 - 10 % with horrible symptoms / recurring terrible waves lasting weeks and months at the beginning. During the entire seven years, I only had short windows of one to a maximum of 10 days, which however, kept showing up

Dez. 2020                                          From 1 mg to 0 at Christmas 2020. 

Dec. 2020 -   Apr.  2021                   Violent waves and windows, but the feeling that things are getting better 

April - May             2021                    Horrible wave since April 28., (after a wonderful, practically symptom-free window of around 10 days - April 18. - April 28. 2021) with emotionally life-threatening symptoms after sport (moderate golf & cycling) / Helplessness, hopelessness and the feeling of having to die. Restlessness, chest pressure, severe shortness of breath, abdominal and stomach                                 

My main problem for the past seven years has been the sudden and long-lasting waves after sports, massages, hot baths, therapies, infusions, etc., which cause me extreme anxiety and make me believe that I cannot survive the whole situation. Although i have already survived dozens of waves, i still feel a strong sense of death in my abdomen every time i experience the strong waves of symptoms. 

I took Vitamin D, K2, Omega 3, Magnesium for the last month. I got Biltricide 600 mg / Total 12 pcs over 6 Weeks (2 pcs a week) against parasites about 3 months ago. 

Goodluck - Withdrawal story.pdf

@goodluck I'm sorry to hear you're in a bad place 😧

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some advice/encouragement.

Thinking of you and wishing you well!

Effexor XR 75mg 1997-2012 

Effexor XR 37.5mg 2012-2017 (tapered off over six months - finished taper July 2017)

SCA Aug 12th, 2017

Cymbalta 30mg Aug 2017 - Nov 2017 (CT Nov. 17th for medical reasons)

Metoprolol 50mg Aug 2017 - Feb 2019 tapered down to 25mg June 2019 then tapered down to zero. Off Metoprolol as of Jan 2020        

Amiodarone (anti-arrhythmic med) 200mg Nov 2017- May 2018

Supplements: Omega 3, vitamin D3, magnesium

What helps me: Manual lymphatic drainage massage, acupressure, meditation, homeopathy (my psychiatrist is also a certified homeopath), a healthy diet when possible organic, yoga, walking my dogs every day and gardening.

Dear Gentlehermione

Thank you once again for your compassionate and kind words.

On the way of withdrawal, there really doesn't seem to be any shortcuts for any of us, even if we hardly believe it, resp. want to accept.

It feels to me more and more as if the path and the time for it were given by God. Patience, acceptance and humility are the greatest help to get through even the most difficult moments. I keep working on it...!

I wish you all the best with all my heart! 

Goodluck 

Jan.  – April            2014                    Burnout / Exhaustion depression / 3 weeks total insomnia / Benzodiazepin / Temesta 1 – 4 mg / Drug was increased continuously

May                        2014                    Withdrawal in a Swiss Clinic / most horrible experience of my life / the feeling of having died 1000 times / 3 years completely unable to work / worst symptoms such as chest pressure, shortness of breath, severe abdominal pain and headaches

June                       2014                    Mirtazapin/Remeron 30 mg /due to the strong withdrawal symptoms and the strong fears

July 2014  -  Dez. 2020                    Reducing & stopping the Mirtazapin / Remeron completely / steady reductions of 5 - 10 % with horrible symptoms / recurring terrible waves lasting weeks and months at the beginning. During the entire seven years, I only had short windows of one to a maximum of 10 days, which however, kept showing up

Dez. 2020                                          From 1 mg to 0 at Christmas 2020. 

Dec. 2020 -   Apr.  2021                   Violent waves and windows, but the feeling that things are getting better 

April - May             2021                    Horrible wave since April 28., (after a wonderful, practically symptom-free window of around 10 days - April 18. - April 28. 2021) with emotionally life-threatening symptoms after sport (moderate golf & cycling) / Helplessness, hopelessness and the feeling of having to die. Restlessness, chest pressure, severe shortness of breath, abdominal and stomach                                 

My main problem for the past seven years has been the sudden and long-lasting waves after sports, massages, hot baths, therapies, infusions, etc., which cause me extreme anxiety and make me believe that I cannot survive the whole situation. Although i have already survived dozens of waves, i still feel a strong sense of death in my abdomen every time i experience the strong waves of symptoms. 

I took Vitamin D, K2, Omega 3, Magnesium for the last month. I got Biltricide 600 mg / Total 12 pcs over 6 Weeks (2 pcs a week) against parasites about 3 months ago. 

• 1 month later...

Dear members

Once again I need some outside help and support.

I am now 15 months on 0 Mirtazapine. What I have been experiencing for three weeks now borders on madness.

After about 9 practically symptom-free days, a new wave flooded me three weeks ago, which I would describe as one of the most violent during my entire withdrawal period.

I am woken up around 03.00 - 05.00 in the morning by muscle cramps in the stomach and abdominal area, which trigger extreme pain in the entire abdominal area. At the same time, the tension goes up to the chest area and triggers severe shortness of breath. The pain lasts in a horrible way until at least midday and then becomes somewhat weaker again, so that I can at least sleep for a few hours again in the evening.

This time the pain and symptoms have reached a level that is emotionally difficult to survive. I love life, my family and my two-year-old grandchild more than anything. For this reason, I am doing everything humanly possible to survive this wave as well. However, the hopelessness is enormous again at this moment. 

I have tried all natural remedies to alleviate the symptoms somewhat, but so far without the slightest success. Yesterday I had to take a painkiller for the first time in a long time because the intestinal muscle cramps became unbearable. 

I am a meanwhile retired man who cries more at the moment than in his entire life before.I feel extremely weak and lost at the moment, which is not really my nature.

Recently, my serotonin level was found to be well below normal.I have been taking "Rhodiola Rosea" (rose root) for three days and hope to be able to increase the level and my good mood somewhat.

Does anyone know these symptoms and has found a remedy for them? Are there any success stories anywhere that describe similar symptoms after such a long time on 0 and have survived?

Thank you for any tips that might help me. 

All the best to you all from the bottom of my heart and much strength on your way! 

Goodluck

• Moderator Emeritus

I think this is something that you should get checked by a doctor because it might not be related to WD.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 months later...

Dear Chessie Cat

Thank you very much for your video and the hint regarding the medical clarification. 

I have just read your message and therefore the delayed response to this.

Best regards from Switzerland

Goodluck 

Dear members

17 months after 0 Mirtazapine, once again I need some hope from the forum.

Although I have been through all possible health checks more than once and apart from intermittent high histamine levels in the stool nothing abnormal has been found, after occasional wonderful symptomless windows of 5 - 8 days I keep experiencing violent waves which still seem life threatening.

The symptoms of the current wave, which has been going on for 7 days now, is almost taking my mind away. The wave has broken out together with a cold and an upset stomach. My entire abdomen/stomach and chest area is constantly contracting, practically without pause, and I feel like I can no longer breathe. It is hardly possible for me to go on living like this without seeking medical help from a hospital. However, the fear that I will be pushed to take psychotropic drugs there again is enormous, so I am still waiting.

However, I urgently need some form of relief. The current state is not bearable for me much longer.

During the windows I am always able to give positive advice to other forum members and I am always sure to have the whole thing behind me soon.

Unfortunately, in waves like the current one, all hope is gone and the tears flow practically all day. The recurring violent waves rob me of all my strength in the meantime and make me extremely depressed, which I am not by nature.

Are there any members who are experiencing or have experienced something similar?!

It is by far the hardest test of my life and mainly thanks to the support of the forum I can get through it.  

Greetings to all of you

Goodluck

I have Goodluck, in spades. I'm sitting here behind my computer Denmark thinking of you in Bern. Fighting mirtazapine WD myself and I know exactly how you feel. It is brutal and it is lonely. I have on a few occasions actually gone to the hospital in this state and when a doctor confirmed that I was physical ok I felt a little reassured but still with depressed anxiety hammering on my back. The usual 'watch a movie', 'go for a walk and feel the breeze in the face' is absolutely junk advice. I do not dare to predict the future but for me at least the intensity of these psychological and physical sensations are strongest just before they lessen their grip. Often I have experienced that don't eat in these situations and that makes things worse. I know it is grandmother advice, forgive me. I will press the follow button. 

2004: (apr): Citalopram 20 mg, June 60 mg., dec 20 mg

2004 (dec): Mirtazapine 15 mg.

2014 (Jun): Citalopram stop cold turkey. Began 10 mg Vortioxetine

2017: (dec): Mirtazapine 15 mg ->30 mg (after three day stint on psych ward)

2020: (aug): Vortioxetine 10 mg stopped cold turkey. 

2020 (dec): Mirtazapine 30 mg -> 15 mg (GPs instructions)

2021 (feb): Mirtazapine reinstatement 26,25 mg

2022 (Jan): Mirtazapine (5% taper): 14. Jan 24,9 mg, 6. feb 23,7 mg, 1. marts 22,5 mg, 15. marts 21,3 mg, 2. april 20 mg, 26. april 19. mg, 25. may 18.1 mg, 26 jun 17 mg.

Have always taken fish oil capsules. Do not drink alcohol when tapering. 1 multivitamin pill a day. Try to eat healthy, but impossible on mirtazapine.

@goodluck

I am so sorry for what you are going through. My heart goes out to you.

I wish I could take away your pain and ease your distress. 

Thinking of you and sending healing vibes in your direction, 

A. 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

Dear Mirtazapine

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind and encouraging words.

I'm in the hospital at the moment because the pain was unbearable. So far, all values are in the green and the doctors once again have no idea where the pain is coming from. They don't believe in withdrawal symptoms.

My upper blood pressure is always a little over 200 during the waves, which is why I have to stay in the hospital overnight.

The painkillers received have so far had little effect. It's absolutely insane. There really doesn't seem to be anything that alleviates the symptoms.

What you say is 100% correct. All the great advice from doctors and people around me who have never experienced AD rehab is well intentioned but useless.

Tomorrow my heart will be tested and after that I have to accept that only time, God and myself can influence the healing.

Warm greetings and best wishes! We will do it!

Goodluck

Ohh, good to hear @goodluck. It is always okay to pull the emergency break. After a short stop we will continue. The doctors don't believe it is withdrawal? Mirtazapine is the most potent antihistamine on the market bar none, and histamine modulates every pain sensation in your central nervous system. Off label mirtazapine is prescribed as pain relief for cancer patients, and you have been taking it for 6 years? Could it be that you experiencing a little (a lot) histamine dysregulation? I hope this is your last and decisive withdrawal battle and that you from here on will be in a blissful state of perfect histamine homeostasis. If not, the SA-mirt-buddies are here. Just for the record: I am not doctor, this is not medical advice bla bla bla. When I went to the hospital it gave bit of comfort that I could just pull the string besides my bed if everything went south. Of course I hope you get a good nights sleep or at least some rest. Thoughts from Denmark.🙂

2004: (apr): Citalopram 20 mg, June 60 mg., dec 20 mg

2004 (dec): Mirtazapine 15 mg.

2014 (Jun): Citalopram stop cold turkey. Began 10 mg Vortioxetine

2017: (dec): Mirtazapine 15 mg ->30 mg (after three day stint on psych ward)

2020: (aug): Vortioxetine 10 mg stopped cold turkey. 

2020 (dec): Mirtazapine 30 mg -> 15 mg (GPs instructions)

2021 (feb): Mirtazapine reinstatement 26,25 mg

2022 (Jan): Mirtazapine (5% taper): 14. Jan 24,9 mg, 6. feb 23,7 mg, 1. marts 22,5 mg, 15. marts 21,3 mg, 2. april 20 mg, 26. april 19. mg, 25. may 18.1 mg, 26 jun 17 mg.

Have always taken fish oil capsules. Do not drink alcohol when tapering. 1 multivitamin pill a day. Try to eat healthy, but impossible on mirtazapine.

• 4 weeks later...

@goodluckhow are you doing today?

I’m so sorry what you are going through. My heart goes out to you, especially now that  I’m experiencing the same abdominal pain after a 50% mirtazapine dose reduction and also being in a burnout.

reading your signature, you got these symptoms after a benzo withdrawal in 2014?

Mirtazapine 7.5mg feb, 2013 - 12 may 2013 - cold turkey

Temazepam 20mg daily feb, 2013 - dec 2014- succes full taper

temazepam 10 mg aug - okt 2017 kindled unkowningly, poly drugged with diazepam 5mg and 7.5mg mirtazapine

diazepam 5mg 2017 - 2018 successful taper

mirtazapine 7.5 mg 2017 - 2018 successful taper, no noticeable WD symptoms during and after taper

taper regime:

7.5 - 2 mg: 0.1 mg dry cut daily

2 - 0 mg: 0.1 mg liquid cut weekly

mirtazapine 7.5mg 2020 - current. Unknowingly where kindling with a liquid solution that was expiring before it shell life (pharmacy grade)

• 2 months later...
Dear members
I have been on 0 mirtazapine for 20 months now. Very many symptoms of the mirtazapine are now no longer present and overallI am able to do many more things today than I was able to do a year ago.

I unfortunately still have the main problem which continues to drive me to despair.
I always experience serious waves again after a symptom-free window of 3-7 days, which often last one to several weeks.

The waves always announce themselves with abdominal pain and flatulence. After 2-3 days it becomes almost unbearable, because I always experience the following nightly recurring symptoms:
Strong cramp-like contraction of the entire abdomen and chest for the first time at about 02:30 at night with simultaneous chest pressure, shortness of breath and inner restlessness. After about 1 hour the situation calms down and I can sleep again for one to 2 hours until it repeat the whole thing. Often the cramp-like conditions continue throughout the day during the first week of the wave and often only weaken towards evening, so that I can at least fall asleep again at around 10.00 at night.

Does anyone know these described symptoms at night and does anyone possibly have a prescription for them!!!

The symptoms always feel life threatening to me, which of course adds to the restlessness and stress in my body. It is a vicious cycle I would like to break finally.

I thank you in advance for any positive suggestions and tips in this regard.

I have the feeling that I would probably be completely healthy if these inexplicable nocturnal cramps, which always put me back into severe anxiety and sometimes fear of death, would finally dissolve.

Thank you for your open ears!!!

Best wishes and much strength to all of you!

Goodluck

• 2 weeks later...

@goodluck Just bumping your post up with hope that someone can give you some good advice/coping techniques for these specific symptoms.

Sending you healing vibes 🥰

Effexor XR 75mg 1997-2012 

Effexor XR 37.5mg 2012-2017 (tapered off over six months - finished taper July 2017)

SCA Aug 12th, 2017

Cymbalta 30mg Aug 2017 - Nov 2017 (CT Nov. 17th for medical reasons)

Metoprolol 50mg Aug 2017 - Feb 2019 tapered down to 25mg June 2019 then tapered down to zero. Off Metoprolol as of Jan 2020        

Amiodarone (anti-arrhythmic med) 200mg Nov 2017- May 2018

Supplements: Omega 3, vitamin D3, magnesium

What helps me: Manual lymphatic drainage massage, acupressure, meditation, homeopathy (my psychiatrist is also a certified homeopath), a healthy diet when possible organic, yoga, walking my dogs every day and gardening.

• 3 months later...

Dear members

It's been practically a year since I last wrote here. 

First of all, I wish you all a happy new year, which I hope will bring you the healing you are hoping for!

Due to Adele and Altostrata contacting me, I am sending here my latest info about my current health.

It has been exactly two years since I stopped my last dose of mirtazapine (1.0 mg) on Christmas 2020.

Until about six weeks ago, I was allowed to experience windows of a few days at irregular intervals, only to be hit again by violent, brutal waves lasting 2-3 weeks. It was definitely not an easy year and I often felt like I was fighting for my life. 

For me, the most serious symptoms of withdrawal so far this past year have been abdominal pain and chest pressure with shortness of breath. 

My health has deteriorated significantly again in the last six weeks due to another wave. The abdominal pain became unbearable And with it, unfortunately, came back the hopelessness combined with partial depressiveness, although I am basically a positive person.

I was therefore completely medically examined again and a doctor was recently able to determine, based on a stool examination, that some inflammation values in the intestine are clearly too high (histamine) and antibodies indicate that bacterial problems are probably also present. My withdrawal symptoms seem to originate mainly in the intestinal area.

Because of this, I have to take antibiotics for a month since December 24, 2022, which of course further messes up my system. Of course, I really hope that this will finally help me and that the pain will be kept within limits afterwards.

It disappoints me very much that I am not yet out of the woods after more than two years and that at the moment I have to emotionally fear for my life again.

I am therefore grateful for every long-term withdrawal success report, from which it can be taken that healing is still possible after two years and thus my hope is kept alive.

I thank you for every positive hint, wish you all a lot of strength and remain with kind regards from beautiful Switzerland.

Goodluck 

Dear members

I posted my last report on the forum not a year ago, but a few months ago. 

Please excuse my mistake in my message before. 

Best regards 

Goodluck