Laurennnbb: Stopped Prozac cold turkey due to side effects

Laurennnbb

Was on Prozac for 3 weeks due to irritability, and generalized anxiety. I stopped cold turkey and have been experiencing symptoms that came on gradually since the last dose. I’m still having them 4 weeks later. In waves. Insomnia, derealization, brain fog, depression, dry mouth, random drooling, forgetfulness, sluggish, chills, intense anxiety and fear, brain zaps, head tingly/hot, headaches, sweats, fatigue, hyperarousal, impending doom, sensitive to light/sound, akathisia, restlessness, diarrhea, upset stomach, no appetite, weight loss, dry heaves, intrusive thoughts, jerking awake at night in fear. Lots… 🥺 is anyone else going through a similar situation and does this get better? I never felt like this before taking this antidepressant.

Edited by manymoretodays

First ever psych drugs started June 1st 2021 at 24 years old 

-June 1st-June 7th= Prozac 20mg/Klonopin 0.5mg as needed 

-June 7th-June 14th= Prozac 10mg

-June 14th- stopped Prozac cold Turkey due to adverse reactions

July 11th- Ativan 0.5mg as needed instead of klonopin. 
July 31st-last benzo ever. 
Aug 1st-hospitalized for 5 days

Aug 1st- Trileptal as mood stabilizer 300MG twice per day//Aug 3rd- Trileptal 600MG twice per day//Aug 14th started tapering down off Trileptal due to terrible side effects

Oct 27th- Trileptal 225mg AM and 450mg PM//Nov 7th- Trileptal 150mg AM and 450mg PM//Hydroxyzine 10mg as needed

Trazadone 100mg as needed for sleep

Hi Lauren, welcome to SA.

I am so sorry you are going through all this. Your symptoms are, unfortunately not uncommon. But this does get better, we just don't know how long it might take. You might be lucky and these might clear quickly or they might drag out longer. 

Have you taken any psychiatric drugs before? Can you please put in a signature with all of your drug history on your profile so we are able to advise faster?

You can do that by going into your account (down pointed triangle next to your name), then account settings and then signature (left side of screen). I can post the link when I am on a computer if you can't find it.

Also check out the "symptoms and self care" forum for suggestions on how to manage some of the symptoms.

You might also want to consider a small reinstatement from which you will then taper. For some people it makes a huge difference in relieving their symptoms. You can start with something as low as 1 mg and see if it makes a difference after a few days.

This will get better. 

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Thank you for replying! I put a signature. I am afraid of starting or stopping another antidepressant or medication… I’m very hyper sensitive to a lot. I am afraid this will not get better. I’ve tried everything 

Aug 1st- Trileptal as mood stabilizer 300MG twice per day//Aug 3rd- Trileptal 600MG twice per day//Aug 14th started tapering down off Trileptal due to terrible side effects

Oct 27th- Trileptal 225mg AM and 450mg PM//Nov 7th- Trileptal 150mg AM and 450mg PM//Hydroxyzine 10mg as needed

• Altostrata changed the title to Laurennnbb Stopped Prozac cold turkey due to side effects
  • manymoretodays changed the title to Laurennnbb: Stopped Prozac cold turkey due to side effects
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Laurennnbb

You have classic severe antidepressant withdrawal syndrome. Since this hasn't gotten better over the month, if I were you, I'd get a prescription for liquid fluoxetine and start taking 0.5mg (1/2 milligram) right away, every day at the same time. This may help the withdrawal symptoms, or you made need more. Please let us know how you're doing. 

After you stabilize for a while, you can "do over" your taper off Prozac. Read this for background Tips for tapering off fluoxetine (Prozac)

I would avoid taking Ativan, you can get dependent on that, too, and the withdrawal symptoms will make you even more miserable.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I had terrible side effects on fluoxetine. Going back on at all, scares the heck out of me. I just want to get through this. I just don’t want it to last long 😢

Prozac withdrawls or Benzo interdose withdrawals?

Hi guys! Could use some help.. I just updated my timeline from when I stopped Prozac cold turkey. I took benzos in between the starting period and now 5 weeks out into the withdrawals period. I am trying to figure out why I’m still feeling so off and cannot seem to sleep and have akathisia.. so many more symptoms… etc. I have been suffering far too long. And now I’m seeing things and hearing things from sleep deprivation. I just want to know if this will all end. Did I experience an adverse reaction to the Prozac and then cause interdose reactions with benzos that’s just prolonging my healing process? Let me know. I need reassurance and success stories. Here’s an updated timeline for reference attached 🥺🙏🏻

8142E318-65B1-4719-92CB-8EA8DB26B60E.jpeg

Edited by Shep
Attach photo (laurennnbb), added title after moving from Benzo forum (Shep)

• Moderator Emeritus

@LaurennnbbPlease note I moved your Benzo forum thread post over to your Introduction. Please keep posting here since you're dealing with both SSRI and benzo issues. This allows the moderators to easily see all your information in one place.

On 7/26/2021 at 9:02 PM, Laurennnbb said:

I had terrible side effects on fluoxetine.

Did you start both Prozac and Klonopin at the same time? The reason I'm asking is because some people find Prozac to be very stimulating and doctors will often add a benzo to help with that side effect, which a lot of times is a serious adverse reaction known as akathisia. It will be good to know if Prozac caused you to need a benzo. 

Have your symptoms changed since July 28, the last date you have in that photo where you last took Ativan? The reason I'm asking is to see if you're dealing more with a benzo issue than with an antidepressant issue or if it's a combination. Both can cause insomnia and akathisia, but if it's gotten worse since your last benzo on July 28, I would suspect you're dealing with benzo withdrawal in addition to problems caused by the antidepressant. 

My symptoms have took a decline since July 28th yes. I started the Prozac and klonopin at the same time. Prozac caused more intense anxiety and panic attacks for me out of no where. I suspect I’m dealing with both issues at this point. The antidepressant withdrawals led to taking more benzos, in return I started becoming less tolerant to the benzos and they were not working to help me sleep at low doses. I’m currently fighting so hard, I am living a nightmare. 

Welcome to SA @Laurennnbb you are in good hands here. The moderators and Alto know what they are doing.  

I’m so sorry you feel as badly as you do. Please check out the “Symptoms and self-care” forum for coping methods. 

The good news is everybody can heal from this. You will get better but it takes time. But you aren’t alone. Please reach out to others. (@Greatful is particularly awesome) 

2004 - prozac then wellbutrin (don't recall dosages)

2005 - 150 mg Effexor Rx (or generic equivalent)

April 28, 2021 first day without Effexor after very rapid titration off (probably equivalent to CT).

July 23, 2021 Reinstatement of ~3mg of Venlafaxine ER (~8.9mg of capsule material).

50 mg Chelated Magnesium, 4X a day

1000mg DHA+EPA Fish oil 2X day

• Moderator Emeritus
20 minutes ago, Laurennnbb said:

My symptoms have took a decline since July 28th yes. I started the Prozac and klonopin at the same time. Prozac caused more intense anxiety and panic attacks for me out of no where. I suspect I’m dealing with both issues at this point. The antidepressant withdrawals led to taking more benzos, in return I started becoming less tolerant to the benzos and they were not working to help me sleep at low doses. I’m currently fighting so hard, I am living a nightmare. 

14 hours ago, Laurennnbb said:

And now I’m seeing things and hearing things from sleep deprivation.

It really sounds like you're dependent on Ativan. I would take one for sleep tonight so you don't go into a crisis state from sleep deprivation. 

If you feel this is true, the goal will be to take the smallest Ativan dose that's effective for sleep, stabilize, and then taper off later. You'll need to take the same amount each day and at the same time(s) of the day. Consistency is key. 

It's unclear how much of your symptoms are benzo-related and how much are from stopping the antidepressant, but if you could stabilize over the next few days by using the benzo for sleep, you may have a clearer look at what you need to do next.

Question - why did you switch from Klonopin to Ativan? Did you have an adverse reaction to Klonopin or too many side effects? 

• 3 weeks later...

Titled: New diagnosis, started on mood stabilizer Trileptal

and Trazodone(added mmt)

Hi everyone. I have been off Prozac since June 14th. I spiraled downward for 6 weeks after stopping and ended up in hospital July 31st and was admitted Aug 1st for 5 days to behavioral unit due to suicidal thoughts and sleep deprivation symptoms (up for 8 days). I don’t know if it was withdrawals or what, but the doctors told me it was a terrible reaction and induced insomnia and sleeping disturbances due to an underlying issue… they diagnosed me with Bipolar 2 and borderline personality disorder.

I have since been on Trileptal as a mood stabilizer and Trazadone 100mg as needed for sleep. Although my sleep has seemed to  improve and haven’t needed the Trazadone as much… I have been experiencing side effects from the Trileptal. It has been 2 weeks since starting the Trileptal. 

I have been experiencing blurry vision, brain fog, chronic boredom, bouts of depression, dissociation, out of it(spacey), not coordinated with balance, memory issues, mood fluctuations(also about to start my time of the month), crying spells, lack of motivation, agoraphobia, hard to get words/sentences out, problems with napping(still waking up with heart racing and random panic during day), drowsiness/fatigue, and heart palpitations on and off, not to mention- I get hot flashes, my face will feel hot and I STILL have brain zaps since stopping the Prozac(not as bad or uncomfortable)… 

Will I adjust to this medication if it’s the right diagnosis? Do I even have Bipolar 2? Am I still having symptoms of withdrawal from stopping the Prozac, even though my doctors say it’s impossible that that’s what it could be? Is this a mix of side effects on top of Prozac withdrawals? Should I wait this medication out? Should I lower the dose? (I talk to my psychiatrist tomorrow), should I stop the medication(wean off)? Should I accept this for what it is and stick with this med forever? I am so lost… I don’t want to be on meds anymore. I react so badly to them. I have been on 2/3 psychotropics/hypnotics my whole life starting in my 20s… did I ruin myself? Can I make a recovery? Will this dissociation/spacey feeling go away? I am so so so lost. Please give me hope. I pray every day. I need help… I am so scared, completely terrified. I haven’t been myself for 2 almost 3 months now and am completely fearful that I lost myself for good. I was doing so well in life.

I started Prozac for generalized anxiety… then this whole situation happened. Please someone give me hope 🥺🥺🥺🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Edited by manymoretodays
new Introduction merged with main Introduction, title added

Trileptal

URGENT ANSWERS Have been on Trileptal for 2 weeks. I am confused… I have had terrible side effects. Do I take my 600mg tonight or cut it in half? I talk to my doc on Monday. I don’t want to go one more day feeling absent mind and terrible. 

Edited by Shep
added title to post after moving from new thread on the Taper forum

• Moderator Emeritus

@LaurennnbbPlease note I moved your last post from the new thread you started in the Tapering forum. Please continue to ask questions here in your Intro/Update thread so all of your information is in one place.

It may help to re-read your thread. I want to draw your attention to two key items, first on your antidepressant: 

On 7/26/2021 at 8:07 PM, Altostrata said:

You have classic severe antidepressant withdrawal syndrome. Since this hasn't gotten better over the month, if I were you, I'd get a prescription for liquid fluoxetine and start taking 0.5mg (1/2 milligram) right away, every day at the same time. This may help the withdrawal symptoms, or you made need more. Please let us know how you're doing. 

After you stabilize for a while, you can "do over" your taper off Prozac. Read this for background Tips for tapering off fluoxetine (Prozac)

And this on the benzo:

On 7/30/2021 at 7:51 AM, Shep said:

It's unclear how much of your symptoms are benzo-related and how much are from stopping the antidepressant, but if you could stabilize over the next few days by using the benzo for sleep, you may have a clearer look at what you need to do next.

Question - why did you switch from Klonopin to Ativan? Did you have an adverse reaction to Klonopin or too many side effects? 

According to your signature, you were hospitalized a few days ago and are now dealing with a new drug - Trileptal. 

Are you more comfortable getting your advice from a doctor instead of an online forum? If so, that's okay. It's just confusing when we give advice that you aren't interested in taking and then you come back with a new drug and more questions. 

Please decide if you wish to work with us here or work with your doctor. 

I also ended up on more drugs after being hospitalized. It's very hard to say no in that situation and you're desperate for help and the people with medical degrees say that this is what will help. Turning down "help" in that situation can be impossible. I had a deep desire to be drug free and had learned that the chemical imbalance theory was nonsense, before being hospitalized, yet ended up so confused, desperate and down trodden that I said yes to lithium (and ECT). It's a terrible state to be in and beyond confusing that the people we are told to trust, actually can't be trusted.

It's understandable if you prefer working with your doctor, but in my experience this forum gives much safer advice and I would have avoided a lot of horror if I'd followed their guidelines rather than that of doctors.

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

This is part of the reason I feel so hopeless at times. In the past I "knew" if it got REALLY bad, I could go to the ER and get help. Now I know that I can't because they'll just insist on putting me on something or labeling me in a file somewhere as noncompliant. 

It's quite terrifying knowing your one desperate last resort has been taken from you. 

I hope you get the support you need and ate doing better soon. :)

1990's Zoloft up to 200mgs daily at one point.

100mg several times between then and now.

Most recent 11/18-7/19 50mg

On 8/14/2021 at 6:09 PM, Laurennnbb said:

should I stop the medication(wean off)?

Perhaps this answer can help. Question about quitting after taking a drug for 2.5 weeks.

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

• 2 weeks later...

Lowered dose

I lowered my dose of Trileptal(oxcarbazepine) a week ago to 300mg in the morning and 600mg at night. I am feeling severe depression creep back in like I had from stopping the Prozac abruptly… is this normal? I am thinking I may need to increase my dose again or find a new medication. My doctor is getting rid of me tomorrow and referring me to a new practice/doctor. I am feeling very helpless 

Edited by Shep
added title after moving post off second intro thread.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:05 AM, Shep said:

@LaurennnbbPlease note I moved your last post from the new thread you started in the Tapering forum. Please continue to ask questions here in your Intro/Update thread so all of your information is in one place.

It may help to re-read your thread. I want to draw your attention to two key items, first on your antidepressant: 

And this on the benzo:

According to your signature, you were hospitalized a few days ago and are now dealing with a new drug - Trileptal. 

Are you more comfortable getting your advice from a doctor instead of an online forum? If so, that's okay. It's just confusing when we give advice that you aren't interested in taking and then you come back with a new drug and more questions. 

Please decide if you wish to work with us here or work with your doctor. 

I need help from this forum. My doctor is giving up on me

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Laurennnbb said:

Lowered dose

I lowered my dose of Trileptal(oxcarbazepine) a week ago to 300mg in the morning and 600mg at night. I am feeling severe depression creep back in like I had from stopping the Prozac abruptly… is this normal? I am thinking I may need to increase my dose again or find a new medication. My doctor is getting rid of me tomorrow and referring me to a new practice/doctor. I am feeling very helpless 

8 hours ago, Laurennnbb said:

I need help from this forum. My doctor is giving up on me

We're already given you the best advice we could - reinstate the Prozac and continue to use the benzo for sleep. We're a site for coming off psychiatric drugs. You're still stating you may need more of the new drug you just started or to find another drug to take.

Please let us know what you expect from this forum - are you interested in coming off psychiatric drugs or are you interested in finding the "right" drug or drug cocktail? 

Edited by Shep
fixed typo

5 hours ago, Shep said:

We're already given you the best advice we could - reinstate the Prozac and continue to use the benzo for sleep. We're a site for coming off psychiatric drugs. You're still stating you may need more of the new drug you just started or to find another drug to take.

Please let us know what you expect from this forum - are you interested in coming off psychiatric drugs or are you interested in finding the "right" drug or drug cocktail? 

I’m needing help stabilizing then coming off.  I’m on Trileptal for Bipolar. The Prozac caused me to go manic for the first time ever. I was hospitalized Aug 1st-Aug 5th. I will add that to my signature. I just need support and answers… not to feel like I’m being given up on 🙏🏻

• Moderator Emeritus

On 8/14/2021 at 3:45 PM, Laurennnbb said:

I was going through the same inner panic aka feeling a couple weeks ago. I was hospitalized because my suicidal ideations got so bad. I could not sleep or eat and had to be around someone at all times. I could not be alone. I was put on a mood stabilizer  in the hospital and it seemed to calm me down. I am still not stable 100% and have side effects from this new med but the aka is gone, the suicidal thoughts are gone, and the restlessness and sleepless nights are gone. This whole time I suffered from aka, I took lavender magnesium sulfate Epsom salts baths, I was up for 8 nights from the couch, to the floor, to the bed, I just could not get comfortable. The only thing that got me this far was the baths. I was in the tub on and off for hours at a time. I still have the brain fog and brain zaps, but they seem to be subsiding as well. This will get better. I want to be off meds but this is the best I can do right now. I could not stand the aka and restlessness anymore.

On 8/27/2021 at 1:55 AM, Laurennnbb said:

I experienced this from stopping Prozac and stopping benzodiazepines. I had extreme akathisia and jolting awake when trying to fall asleep. I was up for 8 days at one point. Melatonin made things worse for me. I ended up going to a great hospital. They put me on a mood stabilizer and gave me Trazadone for sleep. I ended up stabilizing and coming down from the akathisia withing a few days. The akathisia lasted 4-5 weeks for me. I made it and recovered.

@LaurennnbbI copied these posts you had made in other members' threads and placed them here because they are great descriptions of your past and current symptoms. 

On 8/26/2021 at 8:39 PM, Laurennnbb said:

Lowered dose

Why did you decrease the Trileptal a week ago? From the posts I just copied and pasted, it looks like you were really stabilizing. 

Are you still taking the Trazodone? 

Please update your signature to reflect these changes:

Account Settings - Create or Update Your Signature

• 2 months later...

Tapering Trileptal and withdrawl side effects

Hi I am coming off of my Trileptal. I went from 600 twice a day and now I’m down to 150mg in the morning and 450mg at night. I decrease a morning or night dose with my doctors help and decrease every 2 weeks or so. I’ve been on Trileptal for 3 and a half months. I’m experiencing uneasiness and intrusive thoughts with each decrease as well as song looping in my head at night. I have trouble sleeping and take hydroxyzine now 10mg as needed for sleep or benedryl 25mg.

I am having such a deep boredom and uneasiness throughout the day and no motivation to do anything. I am tapering off because I felt dull, flat, and unlike me. I am constantly so so crushingly fatigued and tired even if I sleep. My sleep doesn’t even feel like restful deep sleep. My sleep is so disturbed, I get scary images that pop in my mind, and a bunch of vivid dreams it seems. I can remember my dreams all throughout the next few days. What is going on? Any thoughts? 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• Administrator

Your doctor's method for reducing Trileptal is too fast. It sounds like you're getting a withdrawal reaction from lowering the dose. See Tips for tapering off Trileptal (oxycarbazepine)

@Laurennnbb, please note we do not treat depression or any other mental condition here, so we don't recommend drugs to treat symptoms. It's important our members be able to distinguish between withdrawal symptoms and the mental problems for which they sought drug treatment.

If you go to a doctor and talk about your withdrawal symptoms as though they were a mental disorder such as "depression", you're likely to be treated with more drugs. If this is what you want, follow your doctor's advice.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...
On 11/14/2021 at 7:14 AM, Altostrata said:

If you go to a doctor and talk about your withdrawal symptoms as though they were a mental disorder such as "depression", you're likely to be treated with more drugs. If this is what you want, follow your doctor's advice.

This is exact what happens to many people.

Patient is not expert, doctors throw as much pills he can and so patient takes lifelong

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

2018 december 2019 Jan-->(1 month) Amitriptyline 25--> cold turkey
--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------
2019 May--2019 May--> (12 days) Lexapro cold turkey

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

----2019 october ---> went cold turkey amitriptyline 25 mg.

2019 october--2020 Jan -->(3 months) duloxetine cymbalta 30mg --->cold turkey

2020 jan-2020 Apr--> (3 months) paroxetine 25 mg --> Cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 jan--2021 May--> (4 months) imipramine 75 mg -->cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream