sumit153: Olanzapine withdrawal

sumit153

Hello @Altostrata,

I was suffered from depression 4 years back. I took Paxil 12.5 evening and morning for 10 months. then i stopped it and after 2 months suffered from withdrawals. and i am completely cured after enduring withdrawals for 10 months.

In the last year August 2020, I suffered from fearfulness. For the last 10 months i am taking 20 mg olanzapine. Now i do not have any fearfulness. My family Mother Father and my friends are supporting for making the dose to 10m mg. I went to a new psychatrist and took suggestion and he observe the fearfulness is completely cured now. I think about medicines all the time. The new psychatrist made my dose to 10 mg. He has given me a new tablet also along with 10 mg olanzapine. Doctor told 60% people recovered from 3 to 6 months. Doctor advise me

1. Olanzapine 10 mg one time evening
  2. sleeping and waking up should be in routine
  3. Do exercise regularly
  4. avoid sleeping in day
  5. Take Juice and fruit

I drive and 9 am to 5 pm i go to office and i do not have any issue. My family and my colleague are supporting me to follow the above advice sr no 1 to 5
My age is 32 years old. I am fit and fine. Kindly seriously advice me should i follow step 1 to 5. Should i accept the advice of my family, friends and doctors (MBBS, MD psychiatry). Doctor told me that i can completely stop the medicine. Doctor make the dose 10 mg from 20 mg and given me one more new medicine. Kindly read all above details seriously and advise me, Should i follow expert doctor, family and friends suggestion. Thanks
Edited by manymoretodays
removed personal information, full name and location

Olanzapine: 20-10-2020 to 21-01-2021 15 mg at night and 7.5 mg in day

22-01-2021 to 28-07-2021 20 mg at night

29-07-2021 to present Olanzapine 15 mg at night
Clonazepam:  20-10-2020 to 21-01-2021 2 mg at night and 1 mg in day
22-01-2021 to 11-07-2021 0.5 mg at night
12-07-2021 to present 0 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi sumit153,

I removed your personal information from your post above to preserve your privacy.

8 hours ago, sumit153 said:

I took Paxil 12.5 evening and morning for 10 months. then i stopped it and after 2 months suffered from withdrawals. and i am completely cured after enduring withdrawals for 10 months.

When did stop Paxil?  Please give the year, and spell out the month.  That's the first I've seen of Paxil mentioned. 

I've looked at all your posts sumit153.

You arrived here less than a month ago, with concerns around your medication side effects.

And 2 weeks after you discontinued clonazepam from a starting dose of 3 mg

Sounds like you were given maximum medication to deal with the withdrawal to me.

20 mg of olanzapine!!!  That's alot.  Along with 3 mg of clonazepam!!!! 

For fearfulness, or often called anxiety. 

Oh sumit, you were probably in WD from the Paxil.

Please see:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Also review:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This site exists because doctors are unaware of the greater safety of gradual dosage reduction, usually advise tapers that are too fast, do not sufficiently recognize withdrawal syndrome, and do not know what to do if it occurs.

According to the medical journal literature on antidepressant withdrawal syndrome, anyone who has been taking a drug for a month or more is at risk.

The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs. While it is not a guarantee you will have trouble-free withdrawal, we believe this conservative tapering method will cause harm to the fewest number of people.

WHAT ARE WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist (PDF)

Is it withdrawal or relapse? Or something else?

Delayed onset of withdrawal symptoms 

Anyway, if you ever would like to take a safer approach to tapering, why don't you let us know then.  None of us are going to endorse  a 50% taper of olanzapine or 25% taper now.  And help you continue with successive medications. 

It's also difficult to follow your information and you don't always attend to questions asked.

8 hours ago, sumit153 said:

Doctor told me that i can completely stop the medicine. Doctor make the dose 10 mg from 20 mg and given me one more new medicine.

Yes, the doctor will be glad to keep you medicated forever sumit153. 

Also, you don't need to tag, or post to the site founder, and one of the leading withdrawal experts.  That would be Altostrata.  Please have a little consideration.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

I'm just not sure if you are a good fit here sumit153.

Sorry.

mmt

And edited in, as I feel like such a meanie.  sumit153, if you were doing okay with the 15 mg olanzapine, and no other drugs........if it were me, I would hold there.  Review the olanzapine tapering topic as well.  I might work to do a smaller reduction, soon. 10%  of 15 mg would be a dose of 13.5 mg.   This would require you to understand and carry out tapering using non-standard doses.   As well as keep track of any new symptoms arising, that are due to WD.  We do have moderators and members who would be happy to help you with this.  We just want you to be safe buddy.

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

@sumit153 did you read this? Tips for tapering off olanzapine

This site exists because people cannot get advice about tapering psychiatric drugs from their doctors. We cannot tell you whether to follow your doctor's advice or go off the drug. You will have to make that decision yourself.

Please let us know if you have questions after you read Tips for tapering off olanzapine

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@sumit153hi and welcome to SA.  I'm in the process of tapering off olanzapine and duloxetine, antidepressant. I'm finding it much harder to taper off the olanzapine than the duloxetine, I alternative the reductions.  I lie through my teeth to the doctors so I can keep getting my prescription, today the doctor prescribed different doses for alternate days of my antidepressant, crazy if you ask me but I didn't argue as I got enough of the medication for my taper.  Last year my doctor gave me a fast taper off quetiapine, the withdrawals were awful but it made me realise doctors haven't a clue when it comes to discontinuation syndrome.  Only you can decide the way forward, I wish you well in your journey and keep reading/researching.

Ruby x

2003 - 2018 Started/stopped lithium, sodium valproate, fluoxetine, venlafaxine, seroxat, citalopram and many more that I can't remember. 2018 - 120 mg Duloxetine, 20 mg Olanzapine  2019  - 60 mg Duloxetine, 20 mg Olanzapine  Feb 2020 - Quetiapine - up to 200 mg slow release, 60 mg Duloxetine, Olanzapine to 10 mgu Aug 2020 - Tapered Quetiapine far too fast under GPs advice -  withdrawal symptoms included mood swings, insomnia, anxiety, dizziness (misdiagnosed BPPV), low blood pressure - 60 mg Duloxetine, 10 mg Olanzapine

4 Mar 2021 - failed taper to 5 mg Olanzapine 20 Mar 2021 -  reinstated 10 mg Olanzapine

19 Apr 2021 - 60 mg Duloxetine, 7.5 mg Olanzapine

24 June 2021 - 6.25mg olanzapine, 60mg duloxetine

22 July 2021 - 6.25mg Olanzapine, 50mg Duloxetine

10 August 2021 - 6.25 mg olanzapine, 40 mg Duloxetine

28 August 20216.25 Olanzapine35 mg Duloxetine - low mood/depression, insomnia withdrawal symptoms

26 August 2021 - 5 mg Nitrazepam , previously I took one 3 or 4 weeks ago;  7 October - 5 mg nitrazepam

Other meds/supplements:  solifinacin, loperimide, lutein/zeatheanin,, methyl cellulose, I also have nitrazepam, lorazepam, propranolol - I take rarely  

14 October 2021 stopped - magnesium oxide & B6, menopause tablet.  

5 Jan 2024 tapered duloxetine 40mg in days. trazedone 75mg.

14 Jan 2024 - 150mg trazedone, 7.5mg olanzapine, vit D, omega 3, simvastatin.  

• 4 months later...

Hi @Altostrata,

I take 15 mg olanzapine daily. I want to taper it but I cannot get low strength tablets. Can I taper 15 mg olanzapine to dust. The problem is small reduction will lead to big medicine decrease in 15 mg tablet. Please suggest what should I do?

• Moderator Emeritus

Post #1 of this topic explains the various ways to get non standard doses:

tips-for-tapering-off-zyprexa-olanzapine

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Is tapering of heavy dose tablet to dust is possible without getting low strength tablets.

5 hours ago, sumit153 said:

Is tapering of heavy dose tablet to dust is possible without getting low strength tablets.

Yes. Crush the tablet, then ideally either weigh it with precision scale or create a large volume suspension so that you can take fractions of it. Failing that you can create thin lines of crushed powder with a ruler and then take for example one tenth of it's length off (best to do with successive halvings of line due to uneven line thickness, thick in the middle and narrow at the ends, so removing 1/8 th by halving it 3 times can be a goal). Failing that you can cut the pill in half with a pill cutter, then cut off from one of the halfcircles for example one fifth, do not attempt it with a knife and be on the look out for brands with large diameter and flatter surfaces so the pill cutter can cut 1/5 th somewhat correctly. The latter methods may be too unprecise but are easy ways to get started. Receptor occupancy is less sensitive to small day to day variations at larger doses. You will have a long time before you need to condsider the benefits of a 2.5 mg tablet in the last stages, maybe you can get those later? The same goes with investing in a precision scale or wrapping your head around suspensions. If that seems impossible then the less precise methods can be a way to lower dosage. Your choice, just avoid cold turkeys and halvings (!) at all cost due to perceived complexity.

A week of oxazepam 10mg with 1 day of zopiclone 7.5mg and concurrent Zyprexa totalling: 10mg 25 days , 7.5mg 18 days, 5mg 14 days, 2.5mg 11 days,  10x0mg + 4x1mg. Very bad condition reinstated: zyprexa 7.5mg zopiclone 8.5mg, 25mg Propiomazine. Next day 5mg Z. Then 6 months taper to nothing but Zyprexa and 0.0mg again. 6 days 0mg. Reinstated 0.12mg x2 days. 23 june: 0.25mg. 29 june: 0.12mg. 8th and 9th july 2020 also tried 0.375mg Melatonin. 9 july 0.16mg. Made an error of judgement in august and was forced on various drugs in hospital mainly landing on: Abilify injections + pills for a daily total of 5-15 mg (for 2½ month) + zyprexa 3 days of 10mg mostly 2.5mg but started cheating. 14 oct 2020 only zyprexa and due to cheating earlier able to go 0.31mg! 30 oct 0.21mg, 13 nov 0.14mg, 28 nov 0.10mg, 14 dec 0.07mg, 04 jan 2021 0.035mg, 25 jan 0.017mg, 4 feb 2021 0.000 mg