Ab22517: Please help don’t know what to do

Ab22517

Was on lexapro for about 7 months at 20 mg.. all in the past month and a half I tapered off to nothing stopped for a week and started having muscle weakness and typical withdrawal symptoms .. on day 6 I started having ringing in ear and dizziness and brain for so I started back at 5 mg.. today is day 4 and I’m still feeling terrible what do I do 

2021- august 2023 / 13 different medications no tapering just direct switches longest one being 3 months

april-may - venlafaxine 37.5mg

may-July- desvenlafaxine

august 2023-now / nothing ( first time in two years) 

• getofflex changed the title to Ab22517: Please help don’t know what to do
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble after getting off the Lexapro.  

Can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why it is important to taper off very slowly and cautiously.

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

What is Happening in Your Brain

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Reinstating, which you have already done, is the only thing we know to lessen the withdrawal from psych drugs.  You got the WD symptoms from a too fast taper.  However, it takes a bare minimum of 7 days for the reinstatement to register in your system, and can take several weeks to a couple of months for it to fully settle.  The nervous system is highly complex, and it takes time for changes to take effect.  Please read this link about reinstatement. 

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

Are you feeling just as bad now as you did prior to the reinstatement, or are you a lot worse since the reinstatement?  

Please keep us posted.  You have come to the right place.  We have all been through what you are going through, and healing will happen, but it takes time and is very gradual.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 1 month later...

adverse reaction

I was on lexapro for 7 months and got tapered down to nothing about 2 months ago.. I went a week without any meds until withdrawals suddenly became unbearable.. so I started 2.5 back up for a week… I started experiencing ringing in the ear, lightheaded, dizzy.. I went up to 5 for two more weeks I started experiencing depersonalization, panic attacks, racing thoughts so I stopped the meds … today makes about 3 weeks since I haven’t had any meds … my doctor recommended that I should consider me being bi polar since I had a bad reaction to starting back (don’t think I’m bipolar) been on and off lexapro all my life… but for the past 2 months I’ve been dizzy, lightheaded and have had ringing in the ears .. I’m scared . 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

2021- august 2023 / 13 different medications no tapering just direct switches longest one being 3 months

may-July- desvenlafaxine

• Mentor

@Ab22517 welcome to SA! I’m sorry you are in a bad place now. We have been there that is why most of us are here.  Ive had the symptoms that you described it is no fun. 
It sounds like you are definitely having withdrawals. WD will definitely cause the symptoms you have listed and fear and anxiety . Like getofflex said the only way we know currently to lessen these WD symptoms is to reinstate a little bit of the drug. And then hold steady on same dose for several months.  

Yes Complex nervous system does not like change - start/stop or dose change. 
slow, steady, stable 

Agree most likely you are not bipolar! My dr told me same thing one time when I was in withdrawals. Freaked me out more! Unfortunately They do not know about withdrawals from these drugs. 

moderators will be able to suggest a reinstatement dose if you want to do that. They will need your drug history listed in your signature so they can help you. 

if you want to notify someone of your post just type @ and their name. And they will get back to you as soon as possible. 

hang in there! 

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Ab22517 said:

I went up to 5 for two more weeks I started experiencing depersonalization, panic attacks, racing thoughts so I stopped the meds … today makes about 3 weeks since I haven’t had any meds …

Did your symptoms get significantly worse after you reinstated the drug? What we need to figure out, is if you had an adverse reaction/kindling to the reinstatement you did. 

It would help a great deal if you could make your drug signature as requested above, in a very concise vertical list format, with only drug name, and dates and dosage of each increase or decrease.  List dose in mg please.  I can't really help you until I see details of what you've been doing with your drugs with specific dates, as best as you can remember.

How to List Drug History in Signature

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix for withdrawal from psych meds.  The keys to recovering are very big amounts of patience, and time.  

10 hours ago, Ab22517 said:

my doctor recommended that I should consider me being bi polar since I had a bad reaction to starting back (don’t think I’m bipolar) been on and off lexapro all my life

I would take this with a grain of salt. In fact, I would tend to doubt this very much.  I agree with what @Heathsaid.  I believe the vast majority of doctors are shamefully clueless about withdrawal.  I'll bet the next thing he/she will want to do it put you on an anti psychotic.  I certainly wouldn't go that route, if I were you.  AP's are nasty drugs.  

I'm sorry that you have been put in this situation.  Please stay active in this forum, and check it out here before you go on or off any more drugs.  So many people have gone through what you are going through, and there is lots of hope for you, as long as you are willing to take care of yourself properly.  

Please put all you questions and discussion of your personal situation in this thread here.  Thank you.  

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

Yes I had an adverse reaction to lexapro when I tried to reinstate. She actually did put me on an antipsychotic.. abilify I tried it for 3 days and felt like something wasn’t right so I stopped. I can’t put the dates because I don’t remember.. I tried to describe it as much as possible in the body area. I haven’t been on any meds in 3 weeks.  Today I just started Zoloft .. 25 mg 

may-July- desvenlafaxine

• Moderator Emeritus

Please make your drug signature as best you can even if you don’t remember exact dates.  You can guess the date or say something like early august. You need to do your part so we can help you. Did you read the links I supplied about jumping on and off drugs?  You have been doing a lot of drug switching which puts you at risk for more nervous system destabilization hence worse WD symptoms. 

Edited by getofflex

• Administrator

Hello, @Ab22517 What was your reaction to 5mg Lexapro?

How are you feeling now? What are your worst symptoms?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I’m going to do the drug signature later. It caused severe panic attacks when to the hospital twice with heart rate of 172, constant heart racing, depersonalization, lightheaded cotton feeling, irritable, racing thoughts, crying spells, loss of appetite, body jerks, spasms.. brain zaps

may-July- desvenlafaxine

• Administrator

That is too much Lexapro. You might do better with 0.50mg as a reinstatement, or 0.50mg of Lexapro's milder sibling, citalopram (Celexa). Ask your doctor for the prescription liquid.

We often see these very small amounts are helpful. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

She is putting me on buspar 

may-July- desvenlafaxine

My doctor told me to discontinue the lex because it was making me worse when I tried reinstating. I have been a mess ever since having bad reactions to everything. I have ringing in my ears, trouble concentrating, zoning out, major anxiety, blurred vision, feel disconnected.. I really feel like I’m stuck like this 

may-July- desvenlafaxine

On 10/5/2021 at 11:34 PM, Ab22517 said:

adverse reaction

I was on lexapro for 7 months and got tapered down to nothing about 2 months ago.. I went a week without any meds until withdrawals suddenly became unbearable.. so I started 2.5 back up for a week… I started experiencing ringing in the ear, lightheaded, dizzy.. I went up to 5 for two more weeks I started experiencing depersonalization, panic attacks, racing thoughts so I stopped the meds … today makes about 3 weeks since I haven’t had any meds … my doctor recommended that I should consider me being bi polar since I had a bad reaction to starting back (don’t think I’m bipolar) been on and off lexapro all my life… but for the past 2 months I’ve been dizzy, lightheaded and have had ringing in the ears .. I’m scared . 

Hi, I am sorry for what ur going through. I cannot advice u about reinstating or not , I am just a victim of short term use ADs, as u are, but please please do not believe ur doctor that ur bipolar… that will lead to another series of drugs and will make u worst. For some reason, psychiatrists have been taught in medical school that if a person reacts bad in ADs is because they are bipolar. This is wrong and unethical … just a perfect cover promoted by pharmaceutical companies so not to admit the severe adverse side effects ADs can have to people with sensitive serotonin symptoms. If u never had symptoms of being bipolar before drugs, then you are not bipolar, u are just in withdrawl.

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

Thank you! That’s exactly what I told her 

may-July- desvenlafaxine

• 1 year later...

I have been on and off medications for the past two years non stop. About 13 to be exact all of them caused me bad side effects. I never tapered always did a direct switch . Longest I’ve been on any med was 3 months.  

a couple months ago I was put on Effexor and had to stop because I developed tics and I constantly felt like I was filled with energy, and I had vision issues. I was on in for a month switched to pristiq was on that for a month and stopped due to bad side effects. Dizziness, more depression , extreme fatigue. 

I have been off all medication for the first time in 2 years for 55 days.  I’m having mood swings not as severe as I’m the beginning, head pressure that comes and goes, dizziness, prickly skin sensations, twitching, brain tingles ( which I developed while taking Effexor and hasn’t gone away), ear fullness, jaw clenching,nausea, dp/dr ( gotten slightly better), been having afterimages 24/7 for 3 weeks. Sometimes I feel optimistic and sometimes I feel like I’m not going to get better. Some of the symptoms I had when first stopping did go away. 

Any advice would be nice I’m miserable and I don’t remember what life was like before meds so I’m not sure of my baseline..  depression has gotten a little better since stopping these meds though. 

I have access to some Effexor but not pristiq, my doctor thinks it would be harmful for me to try any more meds which I agree but someone mentioned maybe reinstating I don’t want to do it really but I tried this today. I opened the effexor capsule and took out 5 beads and took them. Still feel the same. 

may-July- desvenlafaxine

….

may-July- desvenlafaxine

• Administrator

Hello, @Ab22517

This is your Introductions topic. Please add updates to this topic.

On 9/15/2023 at 8:47 AM, Ab22517 said:

I have been off all medication for the first time in 2 years for 55 days.  I’m having mood swings not as severe as I’m the beginning, head pressure that comes and goes, dizziness, prickly skin sensations, twitching, brain tingles ( which I developed while taking Effexor and hasn’t gone away), ear fullness, jaw clenching,nausea, dp/dr ( gotten slightly better), been having afterimages 24/7 for 3 weeks. 

It appears you have withdrawal syndrome from going off venlafaxine or desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) -- they are very close relatives.

On 9/15/2023 at 8:47 AM, Ab22517 said:

Some of the symptoms I had when first stopping did go away. 

Which symptoms went away? How has your sleep pattern changed in the last month?

I had S thoughts, severe itching in my head, racing thoughts ( still have but not as bad ) My head pressure is so bad right now & my ears feel full . This happens everyday. Is this withdrawal as well? Like my head feels so full and floaty. I’m not sure how to edit the introduction. I really don’t know how to work this site. Do you have any recommendation? 

may-July- desvenlafaxine

Hello @Ab22517

I'm sorry you're dealing with these symptoms right now. All of them, including head and ear pressure are very common in withdrawal.

You might find the below topic helpful.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

• Mentor
1 hour ago, Ab22517 said:

I’m not sure how to edit the introduction. I really don’t know how to work this site. Do you have any recommendation?

Hi @Ab22517, Your "introductions topic" is basically your personal "thread" where all your posts go.  It's nothing that needs to be edited.  The name of yours is Ab22517: Please help don’t know what to do.

Anytime you want to make a post you will put it in your "thread."  Hope that makes sense and helps!

Catina 

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

@Catina7 I tried to figure it out I still don’t get it lol. 

may-July- desvenlafaxine

@MedRN do you think a should do a reinstatement or just wait it out? 

may-July- desvenlafaxine

@Ab22517

It sounds like you've been on a rollercoaster of medications, so it's likely hard for you to know what your baseline is. 

If you're already having symptoms dropping away, this might be a good thing. How bad do you consider your symptoms to be? Are they tolerable? - these are things you might want to consider. Reinstatement isn't a guarantee that symptoms will go away. While some will have their symptoms alleviated very quickly, others will take some time to stabilize and unfortunately, no one can predict that for you.

Have you read through the thread on reinstatement?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

This one might also help:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/#comment-183

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

You’re right I don’t remember what my baseline is. Which is very scary I feel I don’t even know who I am literally. I don’t even feel like I’m here. The world seems scary and I just don’t know that I belong. It’s a really weird feeling. I’m scared. I did read it, I don’t think I should reinstate. I have felt this way for a long time. I do remember though before all the medications. I didn’t feel like I wasn’t present . I also didn’t have these severe mood swings . I just want my life back. 2 years I have been fighting to get “me” back. I feel like I’m going crazy. I must say though, there are times when I don’t feel like this. It’s rare though. 

may-July- desvenlafaxine

Yes, these drugs do some crazy things to us for sure!

Sounds like you might also be experiencing DP/DR.

This topic might help:

Please let us know if you have any questions.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was having severe emotional responses from withdrawal so my doctor put me on 5mg of Prozac (been of pristiq for two months). I’ve been on for about five days. I’m unable to cry now as to where I was having crying spells everyday. My anxiety is still high and I’m also still having a lot of physical symptoms from the withdrawal… what do you think? Should I keep going.. 

may-July- desvenlafaxine

@Ab22517

Unfortunately, we cannot advise about whether or not you should keep going with a new drug. This site is strictly for coming off medications, but please be aware that going on and off drugs can be quite destabilizing to an already sensitized nervous system. 

On 9/19/2023 at 6:25 PM, Ab22517 said:

You’re right I don’t remember what my baseline is

On 9/19/2023 at 6:25 PM, Ab22517 said:

I just want my life back. 2 years I have been fighting to get “me” back

You posted these comments a couple weeks back. You might ask yourself if staying on the new drug will help you find your baseline, or get your life back. 

Have you had a look through all the resources on the site? They might help you make a decision. 

Best of luck,

MedRN

That’s a good way to put it. I’d say I just feel like I’m in in my own little world, non existent. Everything around me looks off and the world seems scary. I’ve never had to endure anything of this nature in my life this is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to go through. If I make it to the other side I know that im capable of doing anything. I wish you well and hope you continue to heal . 

may-July- desvenlafaxine