ami28: Meds to control pain, need to be done!

ami28

Hello, first post!

I came across this site through mad Googling about how to get off all of my meds. 

My story (will try to keep this succinct, bet I'm not successful 😀😞

I'm a full time Firefighter, for about 25 years now.

Regular, consistent, rugged wear and tear on my back led me to seek pain treatment options back in 2010 or so.

I started Oxycodone. I take it daily, it helps, I don't abuse it or take it inappropriately. 

I was also placed on Cymbalta 30 mg for radiating leg pain, increased to 60 mg shortly thereafter. 

I maintained that regimen for several years. Frankly, it made it possible for me to continue my career, as surgery is not an option while I'm active. For that, I'm grateful.

I started experiencing migraines a couple of years ago. My primary placed me on low dose amitriptyline (10 mg) for migraine prophylaxis. She warned me at the time to take it opposite the Cymbalta (take Cymbalta in AM and the Ami in PM, for example).

Just to round out my medication regimen, I also take Adderall 60 mg daily. I was diagnosed with ADD as an adult. Honestly, Adderall has been life changing for me. I only wish I had been diagnosed earlier in my life.

I'm here because of my pain. Over the past couple years, the Oxy has become less effective. I've been searching for help for the pain, as I "only" have 6 years to go until I'm of age to retire with full benefits.

I recently found an option that works well for me. Took it for about a week, was able to drop my Oxy use by 25% per day. Fully intended to wean myself from Oxy and continue with this new supplement.

Then - the fun began. I won't bore you with the details, but I basically ended up in mild/moderate serotonin syndrome. The new supplement was interacting with the Cymbalta (or the Amitriptyline? Or both?), and it was essentially not allowing the Cymbalta or Ami to be metabolized fast enough, causing a serotonin build up.

So..... I'm here because my initial goal of weaning off the Oxy has changed. I now want to wean from the Cymbalta and then the Ami, so that I do not suffer the serotonin effects from the supplement. Once I'm all done with that, I'll attack the Oxy.

Fun fact? Yes - I absolutely DID check with my Cymbalta prescriber before I began the supplement. She told me it was fine, no worries, go ahead. Took me a week of suffering until desperation had me googling until I found the interaction. Oh well.

So here I am. I have hope for the first time in years that the supplement will help my pain, but I can't take it the way I want to because of Cym and Ami. Gotta get off them.

Simple, right? Wow. My googling has given me new insight into this mess, and I found this site, so here I am.

I'm planning to taper by counting beads. I'm not planning to tell my provider (I guarantee you she's an advocate for fast taper, and will prescribe as such). I've read all the recommended ways to do this, and I have my plan. 

I have no idea if I'll be one of the lucky ones that can handle the taper more quickly or not. Hope so. But if not, I know that each reduction will put me closer to my goal.

I'm here to be accountable and to record my journey. I know I'm not alone in my reasons for taking these meds, that many chronic pain sufferers do the same. I don't have noticeable side effects from any of them (at least not until I introduced the new supplement). I don't take them for mental health concerns. 

Happy to answer questions. Hoping I'm doing this right. Feeling a little nervous. Counted and made my first batch of reduced pills, starting tomorrow.

Thank you for reading my decidedly NOT succinct story!

Edited by arbor

2010-present: 60 mg Cymbalta (back/leg pain)

Taper info: 9/3/21 50 mg

2010-present: 40 mg Oxycodone (back/leg pain)

Taper info: not truly tapering, don't need it as much as before, so only take 30 mg most days; planning to taper to 0 once off duloxetine

2019-present: 10 mg Amitriptyline (migraine prophylaxis)

Taper info: 9/3 0 mg; realized about 9/5 or so that I had forgotten to take it, I understand its not ideal, feel fine tho so not planning to reinstate

2019-present: 60 mg Adderall 

• arbor changed the title to ami28: Meds to control pain, need to be done!
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello @ami28,

Welcome to SA.

Thank you for filling out your signature.  Very helpful.

Chronic pain is truly challenging.  I'm sorry that on top of that you've had to go through serotonin syndrome.  I was diagnosed with that as well and know how awful it is.  Someday, maybe, the doctors will take an interest in what's really going on with their pills.

1 hour ago, ami28 said:

I'm planning to taper by counting beads.

You've probably already seen this link but I'll share it with you if it's useful:

Tips for tapering off duloxetine (Cymbalta)

Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

I also recommend these links:

Rate symptoms daily to track patterns and progress

Keep notes on paper

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

1 hour ago, ami28 said:

I'm here to be accountable and to record my journey.

This is your Introduction site where you can ask questions and connect with other members.

I'm glad you've found us.  Please let us know how you're doing.

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

I think I lied in my introduction. 

For years, I really haven't paid attention to my Cymbalta. I just take it. I don't really notice if I'm having side effects, etc.

I said above that I haven't had any side effects. I've spent alot of time reading today, and I think..... maybe I have.

Symptoms that over the years I've chalked up to my wonky sleep schedule (job is 24 hrs on, 48 hrs off), stress, getting older, maybe some ptsd from things I've seen and done, migraines, etc etc etc. 

Symptoms I never brought up to my provider because I just sucked it up and dealt with it.

But reading today? God. It's like reading a litany of the things that plague me daily. So I wonder..... what will I be like when I'm finally off cymbalta? How much of my life have I wasted feeling like sh!t?

2nd day of my first reduction. No symptoms. Feeling good.

Taper info: not truly tapering, don't need it as much as before, so only take 30 mg most days; planning to taper to 0 once off duloxetine

Taper info: 9/3 0 mg; realized about 9/5 or so that I had forgotten to take it, I understand its not ideal, feel fine tho so not planning to reinstate

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @ami28--Glad to hear your 2nd day is going ok.  Please go ahead and change your signature to show the reduction and date.  As far as the stoicism you've assumed around taking Cymbalta, I can sure relate to how I sucked things up and soldiered on while taking Zoloft and finally Prozac.  Still hard to believe that doctors continue to prescribe the way they are.  

All my best to you🌻

Arbor

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Update for accountability:

No WD symptoms, feeling good. Realize that may change, remaining vigilant.

Kinda walking around here on eggshells, if I'm honest. Waiting for shoe to drop and all that. 

But I'll take what I can get, no need to poke the bear or tempt fate.

Have a great evening.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the update.  Only thing I have to add is to avoid all stress.  Stress is to w/d what huckleberries are to the bear 😈!

Thinking of you,

Arbor