Pdmd136: Withdrawal vs reinstatement fail?

Pdmd136

Hello. I was on Paxil 10mg & switched to fluoxetine 10mg for menopause symptoms. Fluoxetine just replaced Paxil, not weaned. I felt awful thinking it was the fluoxetine (not realizing it was Paxil withdrawal) & stupidly stopped all medication less than 2 weeks later. In a few days I felt better than I’ve felt in years. 3 months later I started with bad anxiety followed by shaking, feeling hot, head felt like it was being squeezed. My therapist recommended 1mg of fluoxetine or 1mg of Paxil. I went to my primary doctor & saw the NP who said my symptoms were too severe to be helped by 1mg so started 5mg of Paxil. 1st night I had anxiety & trouble sleeping so took 1/2 of a 0.25mg Xanax. 2nd night I had insomnia, awake until 3:30 am - it wasn’t anxiety, it was just insomnia.  Yesterday was my 3rd dose of 5mg of Paxil. Phone call to NP for something not addictive & safe with Paxil use for sleep. He recommended Tylenol PM or Benadryl. I saw on Benadryl that it can make some hyper & was too scared to take it. I was able to sleep on & off without it. Today I feel head pressure, nervous, arm tingling, left bicep twitching, foggy, fatigued.  I can’t tell if this is withdrawal symptoms still or if I am having reinstatement symptoms from starting at too high of a dose after being off Paxil for almost 4 months. I’m afraid to take another dose & I’m afraid to drop it now that I’ve been on 5mg for 3 days. 

Paxil 20mg 1996 - 2000 (d/c’d for pregnancy 1998 then restarted)

Celexa 20mg 2000-2014

Paxil 20mg 2014-2019

Paxil 10mg 2019- 5/21.

Fluoxetine 10mg 5/21 x2 weeks only.

Stopped all med abruptly 6/21.

Bad withdrawal started 9/21.

Paxil 5mg 9/21 x3 days.

Paxil 2.5mg few days.

Paxil 1.25mg 2-3weeks.

Paxil 1mg since.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Pdmd136: Withdrawal vs reinstatement fail?
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Pdmd136

The NP was wrong. If I were you, I'd stop taking Paxil and take 1mg fluoxetine. It may take several weeks for this to take full effect. Please let us know how you are doing.

How often do you take Xanax?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

3 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, @Pdmd136

The NP was wrong. If I were you, I'd stop taking Paxil and take 1mg fluoxetine. It may take several weeks for this to take full effect. Please let us know how you are doing.

How often do you take Xanax?

I only took 1/2 of a 0.25mg tablet 2 nights in a row. I’m afraid of taking meds now & afraid of addiction. The NP suggested Benadryl for sleep but the box says it can cause excitablilty so I’m afraid to. I just saw my asthma dr who said to take half a Xanax an hour before bed bcuz I need sleep or I’ll be more prone to anxiety.  My therapist suggested a local pharmacy that turns pills into liquid in order to take 1mg but I think I need an RX.  I have Paxil 10mg scored tablets at home and fluoxetine 10mg capsules at home.

I appreciate your help so much.

Celexa 20mg 2000-2014

Paxil 20mg 2014-2019

Paxil 10mg 2019- 5/21.

Paxil 5mg 9/21 x3 days.

Paxil 2.5mg few days.

Paxil 1.25mg 2-3weeks.

Paxil 1mg since.

• Administrator

Yes, Xanax is an anti-anxiety drug. If you take it regularly, you are likely to become physiologically dependent on it, which will cause additional complications for you, with interdose withdrawal, paradoxical reactions, and difficulty going off.

However, people love it for its soothing effect. It's your decision whether you want to get involved with it.

It is possible a proper reinstatement of low-dose fluoxetine would substantially reduce your Paxil withdrawal symptoms.

Yes, you need a prescription for fluoxetine liquid. This topic explains how to make your own liquid. Tips for tapering off fluoxetine (Prozac)

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

I have been taking approximately 1.25mg of paroxetine for the past few weeks & had been incredibly better. Nighttime I still had some vibration & nervous feeling but much more tolerable. I did not have access to liquid so have been cutting a 10mg tablet in 8ths (rounded edges make for improper dosing) & taking 1 piece a day at 6:00pm. I got a psychiatrist to prescribe liquid paroxetine & a pharmacy made me 1.25mg per 1 ML of liquid. I took 1 ML one week ago & had a horrible night, not as bad as when withdrawal first started but close to that. I have gone back to 1/8 of a 10mg tablet for the past 6 nights  & am slightly better but not as good as I was before I took the liquid. I don’t know what to do at this point. Any suggestions?

Celexa 20mg 2000-2014

Paxil 20mg 2014-2019

Paxil 10mg 2019- 5/21.

Paxil 5mg 9/21 x3 days.

Paxil 2.5mg few days.

Paxil 1.25mg 2-3weeks.

Paxil 1mg since.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Reinstatement of Paxil for Paxil withdrawal will also reduce the symptoms. It appears that this is what happened.

If you feel comfortable on 1.25mg Paxil, if I were you, I'd continue to take it consistently at the same time each day until you're well past the withdrawal symptoms. Then you might start tapering by very, very small amounts. See Tips for tapering off paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat)

• Moderator Emeritus
38 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Then you might start tapering by very, very small amounts.

Brassmonkey was taking Paxil up until about 3.5 years ago.  He developed a slower taper which ended up being named after him: 

the-brassmonkey-slide-method-of-micro-tapering

This is his Success story:

tao-of-the-brassmonkey

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 9/14/2021 at 3:15 PM, Altostrata said:

Yes, Xanax is an anti-anxiety drug. If you take it regularly, you are likely to become physiologically dependent on it, which will cause additional complications for you, with interdose withdrawal, paradoxical reactions, and difficulty going off.

However, people love it for its soothing effect. It's your decision whether you want to get involved with it.

It is possible a proper reinstatement of low-dose fluoxetine would substantially reduce your Paxil withdrawal symptoms.

Yes, you need a prescription for fluoxetine liquid. This topic explains how to make your own liquid. Tips for tapering off fluoxetine (Prozac)

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

On 11/20/2021 at 1:19 AM, Altostrata said:

Reinstatement of Paxil for Paxil withdrawal will also reduce the symptoms. It appears that this is what happened.

If you feel comfortable on 1.25mg Paxil, if I were you, I'd continue to take it consistently at the same time each day until you're well past the withdrawal symptoms. Then you might start tapering by very, very small amounts. See Tips for tapering off paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat)

1.25 mg was too much. I’ve been taking closer to 1 mg by ingesting the rounded ‘corners’ of a 10 mg tablet after cutting it into 8ths. I had the pharmacist show me on a dropper how to get 1 mg of the liquid Paroxetine she made for me. I ingested the liquid at 1 mg 2 nights in a row & both nights (and the following mornings) I had increased symptoms. The next 2 nights I went back to the pill form at 1 mg & still am having the increased symptoms.  The pharmacist assured me the liquid & pill form are the same thing. Is it normal to react to the liquid after only having the pill form? And If I stay on the 1 mg of the pill form, Will my body adjust back to it or do the symptoms mean I am on a wrong dose?

Thank you VERY much for any advice/help. 

Celexa 20mg 2000-2014

Paxil 20mg 2014-2019

Paxil 10mg 2019- 5/21.

Paxil 5mg 9/21 x3 days.

Paxil 2.5mg few days.

Paxil 1.25mg 2-3weeks.

Paxil 1mg since.

• Administrator

Which symptoms increased when you switched to liquid, when did they appear? How do you feel before and after you take a dose?

The liquid is the same as the tablet except the drug in the liquid may be absorbed faster. If you think you're getting symptoms from that, you can put your liquid dose in an empty gelatin capsule, cap it again, and take it in the capsule.

It may take a few days for your system to get accustomed to the liquid dosing.

17 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Which symptoms increased when you switched to liquid, when did they appear? How do you feel before and after you take a dose?

The liquid is the same as the tablet except the drug in the liquid may be absorbed faster. If you think you're getting symptoms from that, you can put your liquid dose in an empty gelatin capsule, cap it again, and take it in the capsule.

It may take a few days for your system to get accustomed to the liquid dosing.

Thank you. The symptoms I get start 30-120 minutes after taking the paroxetine. They are: feeling of vibration inside my body especially arms, head squeezing or pressure, tinnitus on & off, nervousness, feeling of cold sensation inside my arms, body shaking. There are times the symptoms start about an hour before a dose as well.  Since I am taking the oral pill pieces again the past few days it has gotten better but not 100%. The best I’ve felt since withdrawal started in September is 90% which I have been so grateful for after reading stories on this site. I am also having menopause symptoms & I don’t know how to tell what is withdrawal & what is menopause. I’d like to go back in another med (not Paxil & something easier to get off) to help with the depression & lack of interest in most things & lack of joy. My youngest is 10 years old & is always asking me what’s wrong - I’m not happy like I used to be, I look upset all the time. This is not me. 

Celexa 20mg 2000-2014

Paxil 20mg 2014-2019

Paxil 10mg 2019- 5/21.

Paxil 5mg 9/21 x3 days.

Paxil 2.5mg few days.

Paxil 1.25mg 2-3weeks.

Paxil 1mg since.