MedicalNinja: Duloxetine SNRI Withdrawal/ Discontinuation

MedicalNinja

I have been taking Duloxetine 20mg for about a year, (switched from Paroxetine by doctor). I have always had bad side effects from this medication but when I ran out almost  a month ago I decided to try and quit once and for all, (I planned on quitting one day when I felt my symptoms have passed from my condition). I think I can manage now without  my meds but the discontinuation symptoms have been dreadful. I'm even less emotional than when I was on it, which is saying something.  I've gained weight since stopping my suppository I took along side it, (300mg Gabapentin, 10 mg Baclofen, 10mg Diazepam all in one). I have little to no sense drive. Even my ******** have tightened up as if I haven't gone through  puberty. And my gut has been feeling terrible, hard to eat and feel content after eating. These side effects are immoral and I wish I could seek justice for this but all I can do is quit the medication. It's been weeks and these God forsaken side effects still persists. I didn't want to have to get back on Duloxetine but I also don't want to be in discontinuation syndrome forever. Does anyone know how long until it might be gone from my system?

• ChessieCat changed the title to MedicalNinja: Duloxetine SNRI Withdrawal/ Discontinuation

Dear @MedicalNinja

welcome to SA. I am sorry you are going through this and are suffering. 

To help us better advise you, can you please create a signature with all of the drugs that you are taking and have been taking in the last couple of years. 

How to List Drug History in Signature - Introductions and updates - Surviving Antidepressants

Am I to understand that you have stopped both Duloxetine and a combination drug of gabapentin/baclofen/diazepam? It is the first time I am hearing of such a suppository and I am not able to find it online. Can you pls clarify. 

Since you have stopped these drugs recently, you can try reinstatement. You would start with a much smaller dose - a mg or so and then if you don't have an adverse reaction to it can updose if needed. Sometimes a small dose can help alleviate the withdrawal symptoms. You can read more about it here. 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

No one knows how long your specific withdrawal symptoms will last - it varies.  

Are We There Yet? How Long Is Withdrawal Going To Take? - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

Recovery is not linear but has times of respite and times of more severe symptoms. 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

What is happening in your brain? - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

You can go through the success stories thread and see how long it took various people to recover. There is a lot of variation by age, other stresses in life, how long one took the drugs, what other drugs were taken at the same time or before, how many times someone tried to quit before etc etc. 

Success stories: Recovery from psychiatric drug withdrawal - Surviving Antidepressants

Hope you feel some respite soon, 
OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

I'm certain the suppository is well out of my system by now after maybe 2 months and it did have its own withdrawal symptoms that seem to be gone. I do not take anything else, being a person of reason I would have stated anything else I was taking. I've been off everything for 2weeks+. My gut feels like I could throw up at anymoment for no good reason for example I ate nothing today, I don't feel hungry and I also feel like I could throw up any moment. Obviously no one knows how long for certain and yes everything varies but there is a such thing as an estimated time for my age,weight, gender, etc. I'm 24 I weight 150ibs I gained about 20ibs from these meds in the last 2 months or so. I'm male. Idk what it shows on my profile. If you guys can't give me an estimated time or rough guess, if you guys don't know about Duloxetine, or can't link me to someone's story, I don't have time to read every story on this website BTW, then you can't help.

@MedicalNinjawe are indeed unable to provide you with an estimate. Our goal here is to support people and we have provided you with information. We do not guess how long this could take. If you don't have time to read for yourself, then why do you think we should spend the time to read and suggest information for you? 

While I understand you are unhappy and angry (withdrawal symptoms) your tone is inappropriate.

You have not provided the information I have asked for or a history of drug use or considered the suggestion for reinstatement.

You are welcome to peruse the forums but unless you respect our volunteer time and efforts and cooperate with our requests, you are not going to receive much help from us. Your actions and behavior have consequences.

Hope you feel better soon.

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, MedicalNinja said:

I do not take anything else, being a person of reason I would have stated anything else I was taking.

It would be negligent of the SA staff if we did not ask if a member is taking anything that has not been mentioned.

32 minutes ago, MedicalNinja said:

I shouldn't have to be on a forum for my health.

And the same goes for every member on this forum.

if you guys don't know about Duloxetine

tips-for-tapering-off-duloxetine-cymbalta

or can't link me to someone's story, I don't have time to read every story on this website BTW, then you can't help.

You can do a site search in the Introduction forum for duloxetine and Cymbalta and you will find members taking this drug.

SA is staffed by a small number of unpaid peers, not (paid) medical professionals.  Because the site is very busy with a large number of members needing assistance, staff use their time wisely and direct members to where the information is on the site, instead of wasting our time repeating already available information.

There is a wealth of excellent information available on this site, and it is FREE!!!

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

13 hours ago, MedicalNinja said:

I shouldn't have to be on a forum for my health.

And you don't have to. We did not force you onto this forum. 
Anger, a neuro-emotion, is a common withdrawal symptom that we understand well. In your case it's directed at the wrong people who are trying to help you. You can choose to stew in it and miss your small window for reinstatement by throwing a tantrum or you can cooperate with us and get some help to find relief. You can feel this way for months or years, nobody knows so a healthy dose of acceptance will help carry you through this awful experience. 

This one is really up to you. 

OMW

• Administrator

@MedicalNinja you might have had adverse effects from your drugs, which would dissipate when you go off the drugs. That is an unusual cocktail in a suppository, 300mg Gabapentin, 10 mg Baclofen, 10mg Diazepam. Each drug has a different half-life. Baclofen and gabapentin would be completely metabolized in a couple of days. Diazepam has a much longer half-life and will be out of your body in 1.5 months.

Before you take any drug, you should read up about it on drugs.com so you can understand this yourself and not have to ask on social media about it.

However, withdrawal symptoms are not the type of adverse drug effect you get while taking a drug. They are not caused by the presence of the drug in your body, but the absence of a drug. It's possible you have withdrawal symptoms from Cymbalta or any prescribed psychotropic that you were taking daily for more than a month.

We need your drug history to continue this discussion. Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
30 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Before you take any drug, you should read up about it on drugs.com

And not just about individual drugs, but their interaction if you are taking more than one.

https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

https://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Because there is a vast array of withdrawal symptoms, you might not have attributed some of what you are experiencing to withdrawal.  I've sent you a PM telling you about my own experience.  Here is a list of possible withdrawal symptoms:

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

And I draw your attention to this information that is in Post #1 of the Reinstatement topic:

"According to what medicine knows about psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. All the papers about withdrawal symptoms allude to how symptoms usually resolve after reinstatement. This is considered a hallmark of withdrawal syndrome.

Some papers recommend resuming a partial dose of the drug rather than a full dose."

If you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms, generally the sooner reinstatement is made, the more chance there is of it working.  If you wish to know more about reinstatement please read Post #1.  There is wealth of information in that post.

• 2 months later...