crybaby: sertraline withdrawal symptoms

crybaby

Hi folks.

I have been lurking here for months and have appreciated the vicarious support I have enjoyed.

I had my last dose of sertraline in June and it is now November and I am still experiencing significant withdrawal effects. I was hoping that I could just 'grin and bear it' and avoid going back on the drug, but now I am considering going back and doing a much slower taper. The withdrawal is limiting my ability to function every day, and it impacts my family and friends too.

Any advice you can provide regarding how much sertraline I should go back on would be appreciated - here is some detail of my recent history:

In February 2021 I started a taper from 200 mg daily on my doctor's advice at 50mg/week steps.

This caused some withdrawal, so I slowed to a 25 mg taper. Eventually in June I had my last 25 mg dose... except for 50 mg I took once in early September as a bit of an experiment/attempt to find relief.

Since then I have had lots of different withdrawal effects, many of which disappeared after a month or two. Currently I have the following withdrawal symptoms every day: diarrhea, crying, anger/agitation, memory loss and the 'afternoon crash'.

Thanks

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

2009 - 2020 - various SSRIs including Webutrin, Abilfy, Citalopram, Escitalopram, Seroquel  and Celexa off-and-on.

2020 - 200mg sertraline daily

2021 - Feb started taper in 50 mg steps... feb 1 150mg, feb 15 100mg, mar 1 50mg, apr 1 25mg

2021 - May 1 withdrawal started so began 50,50,25 pattern until may 31. Jun 1 to 5 50,25 pattern. Jun 6 to 9 25mg. Jun 10 50mg. Jun 11 to 17 25mg

2021 - Jun 18 to Sep 1 0mg

2021 - Sep 2 50mg single dose

2021 - Sep 3 to present 0mg

2021 - Nov 27 attempting reinstatement with 1mg. Nov 29 stopped reinstatement attempt due to unpleasant effects.

2022 Jan - WD symptoms continue

• ChessieCat changed the title to crybaby: sertraline withdrawal symptoms
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello crybaby and welcome (properly) to SA,

Ah the quick taper and the dreaded withdrawal symptoms.  Unfortunately an all too common story which we hear too often here at SA.

It is good that you recognised that you were/are getting withdrawal symptoms.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Q:  How did you feel when you took the 50mg in September?  I realise it was only 1 dose, but did it make you feel worse, improvement, or no different?

I am asking this question because we need to know what sort of reaction you had to it after 3 months of no sertraline.  What was the reason you stopped after one dose?  Did you just stop it because you got scared?

It takes about 4 days for a dose to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the blood.  BUT, for me, when I had bad withdrawal symptoms and got to the stage that I was unable to type, when I increased my dose (and updose after a 50% reduction for 2 weeks) after only 4 hours the cog fog started to life and I was able to type again.

Q:  Are you interested in trying reinstatement of sertraline?

Please carefully read Post #1 of this topic and let us know if you would like to reinstate.  If yes, we can suggest a dose for you to try.  Please note that it will be a small amount.  And after being off the drug for a while I usually suggest trying a very small amount as a test to see how you react.  If there is no issue then a small increase can be made.

about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms

Post #1 of this topic explains how to get non standard doses:

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

Thank you for creating your drug signature.  However, we need you to add the dates and doses for sertraline so we can easily see the reductions/increases you made.  Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature
Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only 1.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions about your own situation and where you can journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story.

Please remember to update your drug signature whenever you make a change so that it remains current.  This saves the mods time because we can see the information at a glance and we don't have to read back through posts to get the information.  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

ChessieCat, Thanks for your reply! I have updated my signature, hopefully this has the proper info in it now. As you will see my taper became a bit of a mess and I eventually just quit the Sertraline in mid-June after about one week on 25mg (the lowest does of the capsules that I was prescribed). 

On 11/24/2021 at 6:52 PM, ChessieCat said:

Q:  How did you feel when you took the 50mg in September?  I realise it was only 1 dose, but did it make you feel worse, improvement, or no different?

When I took the single 50mg dose in September I had been felling confused about whether I was experiencing withdrawal effects, or if I might be in a relapse of depression. I was finding the sadness and irritability pretty overwhelming and was becoming confused. 50mg had been the last does I was on that was mostly free from withdrawal effects. After I took the dose, in a relatively short period of time (hours, not sure how many) I felt remarkably better. The mental symptoms were gone, and I was convinced I was not in a relapse. I did not continue on the 50mg dose because I never really intended to... I was just trying to prove that I was not depressed again.

I have been very scared of going back on the Sertraline. While I was on it (and other SSRIs) I felt very lethargic, had very low productivity and quite a bit of fatigue. I spent most of my time on the couch. However, in contrast once I was tapering I found that I had a lot of energy and my productivity sky-rocketed. I would like to point out here that in the ten years or so that I have been on-and-off of antidepressants (I think I have been prescribed most of SSRIs available) I have never found that they made a noticeable difference to me. Why take them, you might ask? Well, it was because my GP, Psychiatrists, and Naturopath all thought that they could help me. I went with the flow hoping for some improvement, however small, and to be cooperative with the professionals who were treating me. This is the first time I have ever experienced withdrawal symptoms of this magnitude or duration, so usually there was no obvious price to pay for taking the medication

On 11/24/2021 at 6:52 PM, ChessieCat said:

Q:  Are you interested in trying reinstatement of sertraline?

Yes I am. I have some 25mg capsules left over from my last prescription and understand how to create a liquid from these. I think Sertraline is not a time-release drug, so this should be ok. 

I am really hoping that a small dose of Sertraline will end my withdrawal symptoms, but not put me back on the couch. I guess there is only one way to find out. Hopefully I have provided enough information here and in my signature for you to be able to recommend a dose for me to try reinstatement with.

Thanks again for your support.

2009 - 2020 - various SSRIs including Webutrin, Abilfy, Citalopram, Escitalopram, Seroquel  and Celexa off-and-on.

2021 - Feb started taper in 50 mg steps... feb 1 150mg, feb 15 100mg, mar 1 50mg, apr 1 25mg

2021 - May 1 withdrawal started so began 50,50,25 pattern until may 31. Jun 1 to 5 50,25 pattern. Jun 6 to 9 25mg. Jun 10 50mg. Jun 11 to 17 25mg

2021 - Nov 27 attempting reinstatement with 1mg. Nov 29 stopped reinstatement attempt due to unpleasant effects.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you.  You have provided a really good summary of your situation and it is very helpful.  And the signature is good too. 😊

We have SA members who have gone on and off their drug/s multiple times in the past with no issues and then suddenly they get issues.  This is because the effect is cumulative and one day it catches up with them.

Please note that the idea of reinstatement is not to get rid of withdrawal symptoms completely.  The aim is to bring the withdrawal symptoms to a bearable level.

The fact that you did feel improvement when you took that one dose in September is a good sign.  However, because it has now been 3 months since that event, caution about the dose is needed.  And other than the 1 dose of 50mg you have been off the drug since mid June 2021.

My suggestion would be to try 1mg to see how you react to the drug.  If you feel concerned about it, then try 0.5mg or even 0.25mg.  It is up to you.  If you are concerned it is better to take less so that you are less anxious about the process.  If you have no bad effects then after one week you could increase the dose to 2mg (if you started at 1mg) and then wait another week.  It is better to increase gradually than to risk taking too much.  The idea is to reinstate the lowest dose possible (lowest effective dose) and it will depend on how sensitised your system has become and also how much your brain has adapted since being off the drug.  And the less drug you reinstate the less you have to taper off. 

You will need to try to stay as calm as possible during this process so that you don't add anxiety into the mix.  Please keep daily notes for yourself during this time noting what symptoms worsen/improve.  This helps to be more objective and you might be able to see improvement in the notes that you don't feel.

Once you reach a dose that you consider appropriate, you will need to hold on that dose for several months and then reassess.  You might have to hold for longer.  It is better to hold for longer than to start tapering too soon.  Please read the following two posts which explain with withdrawal normal is:

WDnormal

tao-of-the-brassmonkey

When it comes time to taper, you might consider doing a test reduction of 2.5% of the current dose instead of the full 10% reduction.  This will give you an idea of whether you are able to start tapering.

I hope you find this information helpful.  But if you have any questions, please ask them.  It is better to ask a question, even if it seems minor or silly to you, instead of worrying over it. 😉  What you are going through is new to you so it can be a bit overwhelming.  I know it was for me; I had extreme cog fog and was trying learn about what was happening to me so I could make an informed decision.  And because when we get here most of us are experiencing withdrawal symptoms, it can be even more so.

You might also find it helpful to learn about SA's founder's experience:

about-altostrata-11-years-of-protracted-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome

This podcast is well worth listening to:

On 3/17/2011 at 1:50 AM, Altostrata said:

mad-in-america-surviving-antidepressants-an-interview-with-alto - audio and transcript

This podcast is an interview with Altostrata (SA's founder) and she talks about her own research and withdrawal experience and why she started this website after she was unable to get help from the medical professionals for her Paxil withdrawal symptoms. 

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks so much ChessieCat! I have made 25mg of sertraline solution with a 25mg capsule and started a 1 mg dose. The powder is clumping a little bit, but when I shake it really hard it seems to become more diffused and evenly distributed in the water. I noticed that the pill container says 'do not chew or crush'. Are you sure that all sertraline capsules can be used to make a solution? 

I have a diary that I have been using to track my progress, so I'll continue to use that to record the effects of the reinstatement, and then update this thread as needed.

I watched/listened to a lot of the material on Altostrata that you provided with my spouse. Very helpful! 

Now to update my signature.

Thanks again!

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, crybaby said:

I noticed that the pill container says 'do not chew or crush'.

So did mine.  For Pristiq.  But I got mine compounded and I even used the contents of the compounded capsule to make a liquid.  And managed to get off them.

Q:  Are you able to get tablets instead of capsules?

If you can, then my suggestion would be to get those when you can.  But keep doing what you are doing for now.  If you cannot get tablets and down the track you notice some fluctations in your symptoms then it might be due to inconsistent dosing.  We can then try to work out if there is a better way to make the liquid.

Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

ChessieCat... I checked online at it appears that Sertraline (Zoloft) is available in tablet form. I will check with the pharmacy tomorrow to see if they can provide me some on the prescription I have most recently from my doctor. If not, then I will have to make an appointment with my GP to see if he will prescribe me some. I would like to avoid seeing the GP right now due to his condescending attitude, but if I must I will. He is usually booking out a few weeks in advance though so I might be stuck with what I have in the short term.

I am sure I got something in the two 1mg doses I have taken so far due to the increased withdrawal symptoms I am experiencing.  I am getting insomnia, the beginnings of restless leg, and increased gagging - all symptoms that went away for me previously. I have some generalized body aches and lethargy, but I also have had a bad cold for a few days and that might be the cause of those symptoms. I was very careful with the mixing, shaking and administration of the dose, so I think I have been consistent in what I have been taking.

I am surprised at how much my body is reacting to 1 mg.  Given the increase in withdrawal symptoms do you think it would it make sense for me to try going down to a 0.5mg dose tomorrow?

Many thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, crybaby said:

Given the increase in withdrawal symptoms

Withdrawal symptoms occur when reducing or stopping a drug.  Adverse reaction / side effects happen after taking the drug.

I am getting insomnia, the beginnings of restless leg, and increased gagging - all symptoms that went away for me previously.

Q:  When did you have these?  Was it whilst you were taking the drug?  Or after you reduced/stopped it?

I am surprised at how much my body is reacting to 1 mg.  Given the increase in withdrawal symptoms do you think it would it make sense for me to try going down to a 0.5mg dose tomorrow?

If you had these symptoms before when taking the drug then I think it would be better to stop taking it completely.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am getting insomnia, the beginnings of restless leg, and increased gagging - all symptoms that went away for me previously.

Q:  When did they go away?

6 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Q:  When did you have these?  Was it whilst you were taking the drug?  Or after you reduced/stopped it?

The insomnia, restless leg and gagging were withdrawal symptoms that I had previously while tapering.

6 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Q:  When did they go away?

Unfortunately, I don't have a record  of when these symptoms stopped, but I think it was a couple of weeks after I had my last dose in June.

• Moderator Emeritus

If those symptoms stopped AFTER stopping the drug, then they were most probably a withdrawal symptoms.

You say that you have had a cold.  You might also be a bit stressed and concerned about restarting the drug.  Both of them may have increased the stress on your system and withdrawal symptoms often worsen when this happens so it might not be the reinstatement causing them.  We have members here whose withdrawal symptoms increase when they do too much exercise or even when they go away on a holiday that they want to go on.

If those symptoms stopped AFTER stopping the drug, then they were most probably a withdrawal symptoms.

You say that you have had a cold.  You might also be a bit stressed and concerned about restarting the drug.  Both of them may have increased the stress on your system and withdrawal symptoms often worsen when this happens so it might not be the reinstatement causing them.  We have members here whose withdrawal symptoms increase when they do too much exercise or even when they go away on a holiday that they want to go on.

I am pretty sure they are withdrawal symptoms that returned as I tried reinstatement.

Given the severity of my body's response from taking just 1mg for two days, I stopped reinstatement yesterday. 

The insomnia, restless leg and gagging stopped.

So now I am back where I was. I am looking for ways to manage the symptoms I still have (and have had for several months).

First I am going to try more exercise... it always helps me mentally. I am also going to research more here on SA to see what other find helpful for managing emotional and physical withdrawal symptoms, and then experiment to see if they help me also.

Thanks for your help ChessieCat!

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your drug signature.  Thank you.

7 hours ago, crybaby said:

First I am going to try more exercise... it always helps me mentally.

I suggest that you do gentle exercise, and if you haven't been doing any recently to start slowly and work up gradually.  Some members find that overdoing the exercise can worsen their symptoms.

Non-drug techniques to cope

Non-drug techniques for dealing with physical pain

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

Some members find taking magnesium and omega 3 helpful.  Only start one at a time and try a small amount first to see how you respond to it.  Usually the benefits of Omega 3 supplements are NOT felt.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

Thanks so much ChessieCat! 

I appreciate your heads up regarding exercise. I'll go slowly at first.

Also, the information that you provided in the links is just what I need.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I have been exercising regularly since my last post: gentle walking 20-30 minutes a day at first, and then last week I started hiking some of the more hilly and longer trails. The exercise feels good physically, and has been helping my mood also I think.

Unfortunately my family is getting fed up with me. Yesterday my son put me in my place, my daughter (who came home for xmas) is avoiding contact with me, and my wife has told me that she is totally fed up... Not sure what I'm going to do about it, but obviously it feels pretty lousy and lonely.

My mom told me to “suck it up” and my sister told me to “get into the Christmas spirit”.   Family can really not understand at times.  I’m so sorry.
 I have an extremely understanding girlfriend that I am blessed with.  My two sons who live with me are understanding as well.  I can’t imagine not having that support.  You got this.  Find people that are compassionate.  Even if it’s on these message boards.  

2010 - 2018 Zoloft 75 mg 2019 Zoloft 50mg 2019 Zoloft 25 mg

2020 Zoloft 12.5mg

2020 Switched July 6, 2020 to Lexapro 10 mg  Nov 10, 2020 5 mg 

2021 Feb 2, 2021 2.5 mg until July 24, 2021 (Date quit)

2021 Lexapro .5 mg Reinstatement Aug 18, 2021 

2021 Lexapro .42 mg Nov 16, 2021

2021 Lexapro .35 mg Dec 1, 2021

2021 Lexapro .5 mg updose Dec 11, 2021

2022 Lexapro 1.0 mg updose March 15, 2022

2022 Quit Lexapro March 19, 2022

My husband told me I am selfish and a mother always puts her kids well being first even if she is sick. He is right I guess but he doesn’t know how disable can depersonalization and Akathisia can render a person…I had to ignore his comments and focus on surviving another day In the hopes of recovering one day and giving back to my kids the mother they had before this Zoloft tragedy. I am sorry your family members cannot understand either this inhuman AD triggered torture. Stay strong …. 

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

Thanks for the words of support guys! Hang in there yourselves!

After a couple of days of abject despair and suicidal ideation (I never do it, but my mind goes there when I feel terrible) I talked it over with my spouse and we concluded that:

- the stress of xmas, covid, work, loss of routine and caring for elderly parents finally caught up with us and eliminated the support I usually receive. 

- the neuro emotions (anger and sadness) that I have been experiencing have become more intense and frequent. This results in me seeking validation and support (basically talking too much) and exhausting those around me.

During the course of my withdrawal I have been overwhelmed by sadness triggered by external events. Most notably:

1.  the news of the death of so many indigenous children in residential schools

2. the destruction of the environment (including: climate change, mass extinction, and the death of the oceans)

3. The impact of farming practices on animal welfare.

I can not overstate how profound an effect these things have had on me. I find myself crying on a daily basis... hell, I even bawled over the death of our xmas tree!

Long ago I stopped consuming the news or social media to try and avoid triggers, but they still find me. I do a lot of research to understand what I can do to make a difference in these areas, and that just drives everyone around me nuts because I always talk about what I have learned ad nauseam. My daughter says that if she didn't know about the withdrawl I am experiencing,  she would think I have a personality disorder. 

Now I am over my latest crisis, but I still don't feel very safe because I  can not regulate my emotions normally.

Regarding physical symptoms I still experience some diarrhea and heartburn each day, but over the last week the afternoon crash has almost disappeared. 

In spite of the continued symptoms I am carrying on. I exercise daily and remain busy. I can (outwardly at least) appear normal and productive.

• 1 month later...

Update... the daily exercise stopped in late January due to the inclement weather. I will resume as soon as possible. Before I stopped I found I could even do some running without increasing WD symptoms.

Mentally I have been doing pretty good: not much sadness, and I have been trying to rein-in my talkativeniveness and catch myself before I go on for too long in a subject. I have to police myself very hard not to be irritable though especially when driving.

I have been quite productive working on music and also keeping up with work and other responsibilities. 

On Feb 8 I came down with a cold. Since then I have been experiencing more intense physical WD symptoms.  Specifically, any physical exertion makes me start gagging (I never actually vomit) and the 'crash' that I experience each  afternoon has started very early each day and is more intense. I hope this will resolve soon.

• Moderator Emeritus
28 minutes ago, crybaby said:

the daily exercise stopped in late January due to the inclement weather. I will resume as soon as possible. Before I stopped I found I could even do some running without increasing WD symptoms.

I suggest that you don't try to resume where you left off.  It would be better to ease back in gradually.

• 6 months later...

It has been a long time since I have updated this thread, so I will try to include the pertinent info from the past 6 months in a journal form.

- March 2022 - I went to naturopath for help. He suggested supplements to improve my gut health, as I was having extra trouble from taking tums for so long. These helped a little, but as of Sept I still have some diarrhea, stomach upset and heartburn. He suggested 5 HTP might help with the afternoon crash, but it did not.

- I am still smoking weed daily to manage the afternoon crash. Without it I have to go to bed.

- 9 headaches this month. Stopped drinking my 1 pint of beer each day to see if that was the cause, but it was not.

- emotionally triggered several days at the start of the month - was

very difficult.

- several very early crashes on 23, 24 and 26.

- left forearm and wrist pain starts. New Inflammation symptom??

April 2022 Update

- after stopping beer at the end of last month did not resolve the nausea and headaches, I decided to stop all supplements the Naturopath suggested. Two for gut, plus vitamin D and B 12. Resumed 1 beer a day. By the middle of the month the nausea and headaches were gone.

- pain in left forearm continues

- March 22 I felt Great! March 24 - 27 felt depressed and 'Wrong'.  Tried 5 HTP in larger 100 mg dose, but stomach upset ensued. By the 29th I was mentally better.

- some time in March I started walking regularly again.

May 2022 Uodate

- early in the month the forearm pain improved

- resumed eating meat a couple of times a week. 

- stopped taking vitamin D again on the 13th. Not sure when I resumed, but didn't take it for long.

- some bad emotional trigger events early in the month, and low energy from the 11th to 13th was accompanied by a week of bad headaches.

- Felt great from the 18th to the 24th!

June 2022 Update

- afternoon crash continues as before. Weed continues to help.

- emotional disregulation continues

- I was back on tums for heartburn, but stomach aches so bad I had to stop taking them. Stomach resolved in a few days.

- knee became very sore on the 6th, continued to the 16th.

July 2022 Uodate

- Went to NYC and managed knee pain by walking slowly with lots of breaks.

- emotional disregulation difficult aat times on the trip.

- still smoking weed to resolve afternoon crash

Got COVID 19 (probably Omichron BA 5) on 6th. Symptoms continue for weeks, much longer than for other people.

August 2022 Update

- Afternoon crash, heartburn and emotional disregulation continues.

- Got COVID again on the 16th. My COVID symptoms continue through the rest of the month.

- Start 20 mg CBD (chocolate) on the 28th.

September 2022 Update

- on the 1st up to 40 mg CBD until package gone. Not sure but it might have helped with the sore knee, but not with withdrawal symptoms.

- tried a Zinlori (Naturopath) to help with COVID stomach symptoms, but insomnia ensued so stopped after one dose.

- COVID sucking all of my energy.

- worked too hard physically on the 14th, and needed two days to recover.

- still walking regularly

- eating meat a few times a week.

- body weight constant

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, crybaby said:

Resumed 1 beer a day.

alcohol-wine-and-beer

and

On 7/6/2020 at 5:50 AM, brassmonkey said:

Drinking alcohol is a major factor in excellent recoveries getting derailed.  We just had a case of a member who has been drug free for several years with an excellent recovery underway.  They had a couple of drinks over the weekend and tripped off their symptoms all over again.  Luckily, it cleared in a few days, but that is not always the case.

• 2 weeks later...

September 2022 continued...

- on the 20th I found that drinking 1 beer gave me an 'inflamed' head and neck. Very uncomfortable. Stopped all alcohol on the 21st. 

- also on the 20th I started 1 Zinlori again for heartburn.

- headaches started on the 20th again. Took 1 extra strength Advil on 22, 22, 24.

- on 22nd I tried to restart Magnesium, but stopped two days later as headaches continued

- on 25 - 28 I tried not smoking weed, but afternion crash was too much to bear without it. Slight headache each day.

- on 29 I had a better day. No headache.

- on 30 restless leg started again. Slight headache is back.

- some time in the last 2 weeks of the month (18-30) I noticed that the sadness was less. Is the emotional disregulation going away?

- Could the Zinlori be causing the headaches?

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, crybaby said:

Could the Zinlori be causing the headaches?

SA does not provide general medical advice.  I suggest you do you own research on the internet (not SA) on the possible side effects of Zinlori.  Use the search term:  zinlori side effects headache

6 hours ago, crybaby said:

headaches started on the 20th again.

If you start something then get a bad effect and you stop it and it goes away or eases and then it happens again when you take it the next time then there is stronger evidence that it might be the supplement.  You will need to be your own detective.  Perhaps stop taking it for a while and try it again.

• 1 month later...

October Update... A lot happened this month.

1st - stopped smoking weed in the pm to alleviate crash. CBD didn't seem to make a difference so not taking more. Stopped eating meat again. Removed processed food from my diet.

2nd to 20th - slight headache and nausea every day continuing from September 

5th - started 150mg Magnesium again. Productivity rising, especially in evening, assume due to stopping weed.

6th - Naturopath ordered cortisol test as my symptoms resemble Adrenal Withdrawal. Also suggested removing gluten from diet.

7th - Stopped eating gluten

9th - started vitamin D again

10th - breakthrough conversation with our daughter resolves long standing tension whenever she returns home from university. 

12th - blood tests for cortisol am and pm

18th - first phone call with social worker. She reccomends quiet time twice a day, continue walking daily

19th - start of daily quiet time x 2  listening to music

20th - had 1 beer and no negative reaction.

26th - started waking up at 4 am every day. Very productive! feeling much better!

28th - back to Naturopath for blood test results. Cortisol is 266 in am and 225 in pm. Should be 400-500 in am! Adrenal glands are pooped out, but not from stress. Suggests Ashwaganda twice daily and working on lowering stress in my life, although it is already low.

30th - start Ashwagandha powder 1 tsp twice daily.

31st - very active and productive. Running from one thing to another. Bad crash in pm. 

Summary

Stopping weed, daily quiet times and removing gluten and processed foods all seem to have had positive benefits. I am now losing 1 lb a week without effort. My productivity is accelerating and I am feeling generally better most days.. Although it is very early, the 4 am wakeup time feels good and I go to bed earlier to compensate. The cortisol test result was a relief because it put a more specific label on my symptoms. I am incorporating most of the diet and lifestyle changes recommended for dealing with Adrenal Fatigue. I now feel like I have some hope that November will be a much better month.

• 9 months later...

It has been a long tome since I have reported an update...

Since november 2022 to the present August 2023 my symptoms have been:

1. Daily crash - headache and eye pain/photo sensitivity, onset usually in the afternoon

2. Poor stress response - lacking the rational and reasonable manner I used to have when responding to stressful events. Is this generalized  anxiety?

3. Irritability - symptom, or has 30 months of being sick every day just exhausted all of my patience?

4. Periods of insomnia

5. Weakened immune response - I get COVID frequently and for 4 to 6 weeks at a time.

6. Inflammation in left wrist and right hand finger joints

7. Fatigue - not sure whether SSRI WD induced or long COVID... Since February I have had significant fatigue on a daily basis. It can become extreme and make me bed-ridden for days.

8. Heartburn - on a daily basis

9. Gluten sensitivity - not sure if SSRI WD or COVID. Eating gluten causes throat constriction, bloating amd nausea.