6ofclubs19: On Lexapro for 6+ yrs, considering weaning off soon

6ofclubs19

Hello,

47F currently on 20mg Lexapro, have taken 10-20mg the past 6+ years for anxiety. I’ve tried weaning off a few times over the course of those 6 years, but life circumstances always arose that made me go back up on my dose, or start up again. 

I got 100% sober in 2015 from pot and alcohol and haven’t relapsed. Don’t want to go back to that life.

I’m in a really good spot in my life right now to talk to my Dr about trying to wean off again. He’s been my Dr the past 5 years, so he knows me pretty well. How I’m in a good spot: came out of the closet at 40, been married 3 years, my job of 15 years is in a really good groove, I exercise and meditate regularly, don’t have any bad people in my life, have a great sober network of friends. Physically/spiritually/mentally stable.

Been doing a bunch of reading about tapering down. Want to talk to my Dr about liquid Lexapro to go down in 10% increments, but not sure if that’s available in the US.

I am considering the method of tapering down one day a week to 18mg for one week (keeping my 20mg the other 6 days), then taking 18mg 2 days a week the following week (keeping my 20mg for 5 days), etc etc, then keeping 18mg 7 days a week for 6-8 weeks. Does this sound too slow? 

I also plan to track my mood either on a physical journal or an app. 

I plan on telling lots of friends and family what I’m doing so I can have them in my supper circle, if I haven’t mentioned it already. 

I am terrified of the withdrawal effects. But I want to try again, to taper off completely and use all my coping skills I’ve been using these past 6 years, so I will be able to stay off Lexapro for good.

I’m tired of the side effects. Constantly craving carbs, sexual side effects, you know what I’m talking about.

But I’m also aware that I may never be able to completely come off them. And that will be okay. I’m open to that possibility. 

I think in the past when I tried to taper down, I did it too quickly, and the effects were too difficult to handle. I’m so grateful for this site to help me in this process. 

• 2015 - 2022: Lexapro 10-20mg, tried to taper off 3 or 4 times during this time period.
  • 2018 - 2020: 100mg Trazodone (at night for sleep)
  • Around mid-2020: tapered off Trazodone (took 2 or 3 months)
  • June 2020 - March 2023: 10mg Doxepin at night for sleep (stopped cold turkey 8 March 2023)
  • Current supplements/Rx: Fish Oil, B-Complex, Biotin, Vit C, Ca/Mg/Zn, D3, Evening Primrose, Loratadine, Valtrex, Beet root extract.
  • Since October 2021 PRN 0.25mg Xanax ~8 times a year for panic/stress.

2022 Lexapro: started at 20 mg, ended at 10mg with 10% drop every 6 weeks.

2023 Lexapro: 3 Jan 9.75mg - 22 April 5mg (2.5% drop every week); held 5mg April - Aug; 21 August 4.88mg - 31 Dec 3.01mg (2.5% drop every week).

2024 Lexapro: 7 Jan 2.94mg, 14 Jan 2.86mg, 19 Jan 2.79mg, 26 Jan 2.72mg, 28 Jan 2.66mg; 2 Feb 2.59, 5 Feb 2.5mg (10 week hold); 12 April 2.46mg.

• ChessieCat changed the title to 6ofclubs19: On Lexapro for 6+ yrs, considering weaning off soon

After reading more on this subject on SA, I am thinking going back and forth on a dose is ill-advised. The more you know!

I see that my original post hasn’t been approved yet by an admin, it’s Xmas day so I totally understand! Thanks to the admins and other members of this site for all you do. Hope it’s ok I’m replying to my own post.

• 2015 - 2022: Lexapro 10-20mg, tried to taper off 3 or 4 times during this time period.
  • June 2020 - March 2023: 10mg Doxepin at night for sleep (stopped cold turkey 8 March 2023)
  • Current supplements/Rx: Fish Oil, B-Complex, Biotin, Vit C, Ca/Mg/Zn, D3, Evening Primrose, Loratadine, Valtrex, Beet root extract.

2023 Lexapro: 3 Jan 9.75mg - 22 April 5mg (2.5% drop every week); held 5mg April - Aug; 21 August 4.88mg - 31 Dec 3.01mg (2.5% drop every week).

2024 Lexapro: 7 Jan 2.94mg, 14 Jan 2.86mg, 19 Jan 2.79mg, 26 Jan 2.72mg, 28 Jan 2.66mg; 2 Feb 2.59, 5 Feb 2.5mg (10 week hold); 12 April 2.46mg.

Hi @6ofclubs19

I'm sorry you are going through what you are going through, but so glad you found SA. We are a site that members can reach our to other members that are all volunteers going through what you are going through or have gone through what you are.

This is your page to be able to ask questions, make comments and meet members. We ask that each member only have one page so we can keep everything in one place so it's easily accessible to whomever may need to look at it.

currently on 20mg Lexapro, have taken 10-20mg the past 6+ years for anxiety. I’ve tried weaning off a few times over the course of those 6 years, but life circumstances always arose that made me go back up on my dose, or start up again. 

I can understand this completely I was on Lexapro for 20+ years before I went off. It's hard to taper off of, but it can be done.

I got 100% sober in 2015 from pot and alcohol and haven’t relapsed. Don’t want to go back to that life.

Congratulations! That is a huge feat in in itself.

I’m in a really good spot in my life right now to talk to my Dr about trying to wean off again. He’s been my Dr the past 5 years, so he knows me pretty well. How I’m in a good spot: came out of the closet at 40, been married 3 years, my job of 15 years is in a really good groove, I exercise and meditate regularly, don’t have any bad people in my life, have a great sober network of friends. Physically/spiritually/mentally stable.

It sounds like you are really ready to do this now and you have a great support system which helps so much when you are going through something of this nature. That they will all understand and support you is really great. There aren't a lot of people that have such a great support system that as you.

Want to talk to my Dr about liquid Lexapro to go down in 10% increments, but not sure if that’s available in the US.

It is available in liquid for in the US. That is what I used to do my taper and it made it so much easier.

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

I am considering the method of tapering down one day a week to 18mg for one week (keeping my 20mg the other 6 days), then taking 18mg 2 days a week the following week (keeping my 20mg for 5 days), etc etc, then keeping 18mg 7 days a week for 6-8 weeks. Does this sound too slow? 

We do not suggest skipping doses to taper for psych meds.  This tends to cause uneven amounts of the drug in our blood stream, which tends to destabilize our nervous systems, and cause very uncomfortable symptoms, which can take a long time to resolve.  If you do the liquid, it will be easy to reduce by very small amounts, and take very small amounts.  

never-skip-doses-to-taper

But I’m also aware that I may never be able to completely come off them. And that will be okay. I’m open to that possibility. 

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to come off of the lexapro. You just have to take it slow.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Withdrawal Normal Description

Brass Monkey Slide

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

Preparing to Taper

I also plan to track my mood either on a physical journal or an app. 

Keep Notes on Paper

We don't suggest supplements on the site except 2. You might try one at a time in a small amount and wait an few days before trying the other to make sure you have no reactions.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

I think I've given you quite a bit to read and prepare yourself. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out  to us.

Good Luck!

Take care,

Frogie xx

Edited by ChessieCat
corrected skipping doses link

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

On 12/25/2021 at 11:35 PM, 6ofclubs19 said:

After reading more on this subject on SA, I am thinking going back and forth on a dose is ill-advised. The more you know!

I see that my original post hasn’t been approved yet by an admin, it’s Xmas day so I totally understand! Thanks to the admins and other members of this site for all you do. Hope it’s ok I’m replying to my own post.

I gave you some information on this in the introduction page I wrote to you🙂

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

• Moderator Emeritus
On 12/26/2021 at 11:20 PM, Frogie said:

never-skip-doses-to-taper

@6ofclubs19  Please note that I have changed the link for skipping doses.

And hello and welcome from me too,

Here are some more links which you might find helpful:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Non-drug techniques to cope

Post #1 of this topic explains how to get non standard doses:

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Please create your drug signature following this instructions.  And remember to update it whenever you make a change so that we can see your drug history at a glance.  Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hello @Frogie & @ChessieCat, Thank you so much for the replies. I have been doing a bit of reading and really appreciate all the information that has been gathered here on SA.

I haven't spoken to my Dr yet about tapering down my Lexapro, but plan to give him a call today to make an appt.

I updated my signature, hope it looks OK and is clear. Any editing input is welcome.

I typed up all the Rx and supplements I am taking right now, here is the list just so I have it down, as of 12/29/21:

20mg Lexapro (2015 - present)

10mg Doxepin (mid 2020 - present)

5mg Amlodipine (2018 - present)

Loratadine 10mg (Claritin) (2013 - present)

Valtrex 500mg (2000 - present)

Bonifide Serenol (Bee Pollen 624mg, Royal Jelly 24mg, 1000mg Chromium) (Recommended by my OBGYN for perimenopausal PMS) September 2021 - present

Nature's Base Turmeric/Ginger blend (700mg turmeric root powder, 500mg apple cider vinegar powder, 100mg turmeric root extract, 90mg ginger root powder, 10mg Bioperine Black Pepper Extract, 5mg Hawthorn Berry Powder) (January 2021 - present)

1000mg Fish Oil (EPA 683mg, DHA 252mg, other Omega-3 65mg) (2000 - present)

B-Complex (2000 - present)

Niacin 500mg (January 2021 - present)

Biotin 1000mcg (January 2016 - present)

Vit C 1000mg (2000 - present

Ca/Mg/Zn (D3 5mcg, Calcium 333mg, Magnesium 133mcg, Zinc 5mg) (September 2021 - present)

D3 (400IU) (September 2021 - present)

Primrose 1300mg (September 2021 - present)

I drink 1 cup green tea in morning (1 teabag steeped 3 minutes)

Edited by 6ofclubs19
Added daily caffeine consumption amount.

• Moderator Emeritus
30 minutes ago, 6ofclubs19 said:

20mg Lexapro (2015 - present)

10mg Doxepin (mid 2020 - present)

Q:  Did the same doctor put you on both of these drugs?

If yes than that is extremely concerning.  You might consider changing to a different doctor or at the very least be more proactive with what the doctor is suggesting.  The following is my reason for saying this:

From Medscape Drug Interaction Checker

Serious - Use Alternative

• escitalopram + doxepin

escitalopram and doxepin both increase serotonin levels. Avoid or Use Alternate Drug.

• doxepin + escitalopram

doxepin and escitalopram both increase QTc interval. Avoid or Use Alternate Drug.

When talking with your doctor you will need to be calm and state clearly what you want.  I suggest that you do not ask but tell them, in a polite but firm why, what you want to do.  However, some members do not even tell their doctor that they are tapering, unless they need to ask for a particular prescription for dose/liquid.  The most important thing is to be able to get your prescription for the long term.  Remember that what the doctor prescribes affects you, not them.  My suggestion is to plan what you want to say, write it down and rehearse it.  If the doctor makes a suggestion that you do not want to follow you can say that you will think about it, or say that you would like to be careful and try your own way first.  There is a printable in Post #1 of the following topic about withdrawal.

See:

how-to-talk-to-a-doctor-about-tapering-and-withdrawal-what-to-expect

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

2 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Q:  Did the same doctor put you on both of these drugs?

@ChessieCat Yes, the same Dr prescribed Lexapro and Doxepin, he said nothing about any sort of interaction. Geez. I clicked on the link for Medscape, thanks for the link and needles to say it is definitely surprising & very concerning to me that I could get high serotonin levels. I don't have any symptoms now, thankfully.

Thank you for the info about talking to my Dr, I read it a few days ago, but I will definitely read it again before I talk to my Dr. I made an appointment for January 3rd, that's the soonest I can talk to him. I will plan what I want to say and rehearse it too, I always make a list of what I want to say to all my Drs, so any advice I will add to my toolbelt. I've talked to him before about getting off, and he's been OK with it. But I've never been successful. When I've asked him before about getting off and if there will be any side effects, he just blows it off and says I'll be fine with just tapering down but doesn't provide any specifics.

Also wanted to add that I need to talk to my Dr about getting Rx for liquid lexapro to help w/tapering.

Edited by 6ofclubs19
liquid Lexapro

• Moderator Emeritus

You are welcome.

That is really good to hear that he is okay about you tapering off.  Because of that, it would be silly to change doctors 😉.  You might even be able to teach him how to get patients off their drug safely.  My doctor knew I was tapering and was happy for me to just do it my way.  Which reminds me, I must remember to let him know that I am now off completely.

If you have tried tapering off before and it has been too quickly and you have had withdrawal symptoms, then you now know better about how to do it.  Remember that the no more than 10% reduction about every 4 weeks is only a guide, not a rule.  The thing to go by is your symptoms.  If you have withdrawal symptoms you hold for longer until they resolve.  Some members find that there are particular doses that they have more difficulty getting past (no specific dose) and some find that the lower their dose gets the slower they need to go, reducing less and/or holding longer.

It is better to hold for longer than to continue tapering when you still have withdrawal symptoms.  This also applies if you are sick or going through additional stressors, and even if you go on a holiday:

Stability

WDnormal

Moderator brassmonkey has written more about WDnormal in his Success Story:

tao-of-the-brassmonkey

@Thelongestroadhome Thank you for your words of encouragement. Yes I am in zero rush, so slow & steady sounds like a good plan. I’ll update more after my Dr appt January 3rd. 

@ChessieCat @Frogie Hello again 🙂 Hope y'all had a nice Xmas and a happy new year to you as well. 2022 here we come!

I  wrote down some calculations of 10% taper from my current 20mg Lexapro, just to start. I really like math, so I just need some help getting pointed in the right direction. I know I have some time to figure this all out, so I'm grateful for this site so I can get some help. I bought a 0.001g scale but I don't know when it will arrive. I am going to purchase some 00 pill capsules. I'm on the 20mg pill right now. If I do a 10% decrease every, say, 4 weeks (just an estimate, for conversation's sake), that means it will take well over 2 years to taper down. I am OK with this if it means getting off Lexapro.

A few non-pressing questions: How much does a Lexapro 20mg pill weigh? For my first taper, do I calculate 10% of the weight of the 20mg Lexapro pill, then subtract that from the original weight? Do I add "filler" to it when I get closer to the end of my taper? What kind of "filler"? Then if I add that, how do I do the math to calculate a 10% drop to get the mg that I calculated on the attached picture? I do understand that the mg amounts circled in red can't really be calculated with a scale, right? Maybe I am over thinking this. I am so sorry to be rambling here. 

I have an appointment January 3rd, 2022 with my psychiatrist and I'm going to ask him for an Rx for liquid Lexapro. I also plan to ask him about the tapering schedule, which I'm sure he'll just tell me whatever I want to do is fine. I've always been 100% transparent with him about everything.

LexaproTaper123021_2.jpg

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, 6ofclubs19 said:

How much does a Lexapro 20mg pill weigh? For my first taper, do I calculate 10% of the weight of the 20mg Lexapro pill, then subtract that from the original weight? Do I add "filler" to it when I get closer to the end of my taper? What kind of "filler"?

Brassmonkey explained how to do it to this member the other day.  He has used the numbers that the member provided so look at the posts preceding his post to get the context:

tania-45mg-mirtazapine-tapering

And here is SA's topic:

using-a-scale-to-weigh-and-measure-doses

@ChessieCat Thanx got it! 🤩

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Just wanted to write an update.

I had my appt with my psychiatrist 1/3/22 and it was over the phone. It was a total of 10 minutes. I told him I was thinking about tapering down/off Lexapro and he said that was fine, which I knew he wasn't going to have a problem with it. I told him I wanted to take a year or more to taper down, and he was like you don't really need to take that long. I can get you off Lexapro in 2 weeks. (😳Compared to other drugs of its class, it's really not that strong. I tried to tell him that it is actually a stronger drug but he didn't really listen to me. I know I was supposed to tell him more information about it, to try to "teach" him about this drug, but it is really hard for me to talk to Drs. I clam up and just get into survival mode: getting off the Lexapro. I asked him for liquid Lexapro, and he said it's not available, at least not in Texas. He did give me am Rx for Lexapro 5mg pills, so I got that filled last week from the pharmacy. He told me I can take however long I want to take to taper down/off. He was like, I know for sure we can definitely get you to a lower dose, and then let's see about getting you off of it. He is actually very understanding and cool. I hope in our next meeting I can tell him what I've learned about Lexapro here on this site. I know you guys suggested to me to write everything down to tell him, and I didn't. That's on me.

So, getting to tapering down. I purchased all the equipment to make my own capsules. The 00 empty capsules, the Gemini-20 scale from AWS (.001mg), a back-up scale Smart Weigh mg jewelry scale (.001mg), lab utensils (long thin spatulas and tiny spoons), and a pill crusher. I spent over $100. I was ready! I sat down with the intention of making a week's worth of pills, adhering to the @brassmonkey slide. I had done the calculations on an excel spreadsheet that I created myself because for some reason I couldn't download the one from this site, maybe because I am in the US. No problem, I am great with excel and enjoy tinkering around with math and labwork. I've taken math classes up to differential equations, and organic chemistry for chemical engineering majors (in the 90s), so math and lab work is not foreign to me at all. Although I do admit I am out of practice. I did watch all the videos on here about how best to do it, tips and tricks, etc.

Well you guys, it was REALLY HARD to fill those capsules with the exact amounts. I had two scales, so I double-weighed everything to make sure it was accurate. I had my capsules and was ready to try it. I have tiny hands, so I handled all the equipment and capsules well. I took the 1st DIY capsule on Thursday 1/6/22,  and it was not good. It was like a rush of the Lexapro in my system for the morning and part of the afternoon, I felt kinda high, and then sort-of crashed towards the end of the day. I began to doubt my lab skills. I had read about on this site that if you are taking the pill version and you switch to capsules/crushed version, the release of the drug into your system is different, so you may have a different reaction to your Lexapro. Boy, were they right! It kinda scared me, and I threw away the other 6 pills, because I didn't trust myself with the measurements. Plus the thought of 1 or even 2 years of making my own capsules every week or month, it was not sounding like a great endeavor.

I tried with the DIY capsules, and I failed y'all!

So Thursday I went back to my 20mg pill, and am going to continue this for the next week or so. It was only Thursday 1/6/22  that I felt off, and Friday 1/7/22 I felt completely fine. I still want to give myself a good week to "level out" on the 20mg.

New plan:

My plan a week or so from now is to get as close as I can with a 10% taper with cutting pills, and take those for as long as I need to feel "leveled out". So for the 1st taper, that means 18mg, which I can get to 17.5mg with 1/2 a 20mg pill (10g), a 5mg pill, and 1/2 a 5mg pill (2.5): 10mg + 5 mg + 2.5mg = 17.5mg. After that, I will go to 15mg. I'll just cut the pills as best I can to get close to a 10% drop. And see how that goes. If not, I'll need to look into acclimating myself to the capsules BEFORE I taper down with the capsules.

Whew, I know this is a lot to read and if you're still here, thank you so much for reading and for your support. I feel really good about tapering down still, I'm not in any hurry, and it makes me feel so good knowing I have this website to turn to.

I'll write more in a week or so.

@Frogie @ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus

That is great news that he is willing to provide what you need (that is available) and for you to taper at your own rate.

If he keeps on with the "I can get you off in x amount of time", sort of agree with him and say "yes, that might be possible but I would prefer to do it slowly".

Even though our desire is to teach our doctor, it is not urgent to do this and might seem argumentative/stubborn to him.  It is more important to get your tapering established and keep withdrawal symptoms at a minimum, and keep your stress down too.  Perhaps later on you could mention any withdrawal symptoms you experience and say something like "I'm glad that I am tapering slowly and I don't reduce again until the withdrawal symptoms have eased".  Make it more of a telling him your experiences than trying to train him.  Teaching by "osmosis". 😉

I hope those ideas are useful.

3 hours ago, 6ofclubs19 said:

I had my appt with my psychiatrist 1/3/22 and it was over the phone. It was a total of 10 minutes. I told him I was thinking about tapering down/off Lexapro and he said that was fine, which I knew he wasn't going to have a problem with it. I told him I wanted to take a year or more to taper down, and he was like you don't really need to take that long. I can get you off Lexapro in 2 weeks. (😳Compared to other drugs of its class, it's really not that strong. I tried to tell him that it is actually a stronger drug but he didn't really listen to me. I know I was supposed to tell him more information about it, to try to "teach" him about this drug, but it is really hard for me to talk to Drs. I clam up and just get into survival mode: getting off the Lexapro.

That is great that you were able to express your feelings to him and he listened. Sometimes it is hard to talk to them, I clam up too. But it sounds like overall it went very well.

I asked him for liquid Lexapro, and he said it's not available, at least not in Texas.

It is widely available in the US. Maybe he wasn't aware of it's availability. I took in a piece that I printed off and showed my Dr. Then he was more than happy to prescribe it to me.  This is the information I gave my dr (I found it on this site). Although mine was manufactured by Campher. You might check with him again as it is so easy to taper off of the liquid.

Liquid Lexapro
NDC Code 0456-2101-08 <-- this is the order code
Package Description 240 mL in 1 BOTTLE
Proprietary Name Lexapro
Non Proprietary Name ESCITALOPRAM OXALATE
Dosage Form Name LIQUID
Labeler Name Forest Laboratories, Inc.
Substance Name ESCITALOPRAM OXALATE
Strength Number 5
Strength Unit mg/5mL

I tried with the DIY capsules, and I failed y'all!

You did not fail! It is difficult to get the hang of it. If you would like me to tell you exactly how I did it with my Xanax I would be happy to write it in another message so you can refer to it. I used parchment paper to pour the powder into the capsules. You are going to lose a little of the powder when you pour it in but it's so minuscule it won't hurt you at all.

My plan a week or so from now is to get as close as I can with a 10% taper with cutting pills, and take those for as long as I need to feel "leveled out". So for the 1st taper, that means 18mg, which I can get to 17.5mg with 1/2 a 20mg pill (10g), a 5mg pill, and 1/2 a 5mg pill (2.5): 10mg + 5 mg + 2.5mg = 17.5mg. After that, I will go to 15mg. I'll just cut the pills as best I can to get close to a 10% drop. And see how that goes. If not, I'll need to look into acclimating myself to the capsules BEFORE I taper down with the capsules.

We suggest not cutting or shaving the tablets because the active ingredient is not distributed in the tablets evenly.

Whew, I know this is a lot to read and if you're still here, thank you so much for reading and for your support. 

We are here anytime you need us.

It sounds like you have a good plan and you are prepared.

Thank you @ChessieCat for the feedback. 

@Frogie, I sent the Lexapro liquid info to my Dr. Will wait to hear what he says. I also contacted a compounding pharmacy that I've used for other things before (ENT stuff).

16 hours ago, Frogie said:

If you would like me to tell you exactly how I did it with my Xanax I would be happy to write it in another message so you can refer to it. 

Yes, I would really appreciate this. Another person's perspective would probably be helpful. And no rush, I am going to be on 20mg for the next week. I may just need to give it another go instead of just giving up. 

Thanks so much to this site. You are all angels. 💜

@6ofclubs19

I hope the dr will prescribe the liquid. It is so much easier to taper off of.

But here are directions on how to use the scale and weigh the tablets:

1.  Take 10 tablets and weigh them to get your baseline weight. If you stay with the same manufacture you won't have to weigh to get a baseline weight again. You will keep that weight as your baseline through your whole taper as long as you don't change manufacturer's.  10 of my Xanax tablets weighed 1.50 grams. Then divide that number into 10. So the average weight of one of my Xanax tablets was 150 grams (.150 mg).

2. Crush the 10 tablets and if you are doing a 10% taper, take that baseline number (mine was .150 mg) and take 10% off that number. So mine would have been .135 mg. I weighed it until the scale said 135. Just make sure there is no moving air (an air conditioner or heating vent) near the scale or it will go "wonky". Don't bump the table. Just try and keep the scale as still as you can.

3.  I took parchment paper and folded it so I had a crease in in. I poured the powder into the crease and then poured it into the capsule. I know people that take a post it note and fold it to get a crease. Just something to pour the powder into the capsule.

You might lose a little of the powder, but it is so minuscule it won't hurt you. I weighed out enough for a week.

The next week I did the same thing, taking 10% off the last number (135), so it would have been 121.5.

I hope this makes sense for you. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions you may have.

Edited by Frogie

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to whoever is reading this. 😘

I tried to get the liquid from my Dr and he said that it would cost thousands of dollars.

I then spoke with the pharmacists at 2 compounding/specialty pharmacies (I live in a very large city in the US that has everything) and one of them didn't have it, and the other didn't have it as well but told me that all normal pharmacies like Walgreens and CVS have it.

So I called my CVS and they said the did have it in generic form, but the lady didn't sound like she really knew what she was talking about. It sounded like she was looking at my current Rx of 20mg pills. They were very busy at the time and I just didn't feel like pursuing the subject further. 

I called my Dr and left a message telling him that I decided to not taper off Lexapro, and to continue my Rx as normal.

I also spoke to several good friends in my life, and they were like, we've seen you off Lexapro. It's not pretty. Don't get off your Lexapro. Hahahaha and we all had a good laugh. This was like Friday 3 weeks ago, January 14th.

Then I started thinking about it again. My Dr had previously said we might not be able to get you totally off Lexapro, but we can definitely get you down. He has basically told me over the years I've known him that he is fine with me going down if it feels OK.

I haven't talked to anyone else since that Friday 3 weeks ago about it. I didn't know what to do.

Then Sunday 1/16/22 when I was putting together my pills for the week (I take a bunch, see my signature LOL) and I just decided then and there to give myself a lower dose of Lexapro. For each day, I put in 1/2 a 20mg pill, a 5 mg pill, and another 1/2 5 mg pill = 17.5mg. I have a pill cutter that's pretty accurate. I know the advice on this sub has been do not cut pills, but the crushing/weighing route just didn't work for me at this time. So I have been taking 17.5mg for 2 weeks now.

Week 1 on 17.5mg wasn't pretty. January 16-22, 2022 was hard. I was also PMSing, which was probably not the best decision to start tapering when I'm PMSing, but I did it. Plus, I haven't been going to many AA/AlAnon meeting lately due to life stuff. AA meetings are life for me, and really keep me in check with things. And I've been bitchy to my family members which causes me emotional pain. I need to go back to the basics of AA/AlAnon, which I did this week. My symptoms were basically me feeling sad and paranoid in my head. Nothing physical and no brain zaps or anything. Basically like really bad PMS, which I'm thinking the lowering of my dose just exacerbated the PMS. I'm 47, my ovaries are dying, but still cranking out that egg once a month.

Week 2 on 17.5mg was much better. January 23rd to today the 29th. Recommitting to AlAnon/AA principles in my head is such a godsend. Deciding ahead of time that I can't control the actions of anyone in my house really helps me not have expectations of people, which helps me not have resentments. There is a saying in AA that is something like, "Expectations are just resentments waiting to happen". So so true. 

Week 3 on 17.5mg hasn't happened yet LOL. I plan to stay on 17.5mg for 4 more weeks. Then I plan to go down to 15mg. 

I don't know if I'm going to tell anyone I've changed my mind and started tapering down. My gut tells me I should talk about it to friends and family, like I was going to do before. It's hard, y'all. This whole process is just difficult. Thanks for listening and being there for me. Even if I don't get any comments, if at least 1 person reads this and gets something out of it, then great. Peace and serenity and compassion to myself and others, I keep reminding myself of this.

• Administrator

It's much easier to taper with a liquid. You can use a 5mg tablet and the rest in liquid, for example, to make up a dose.

6 hours ago, 6ofclubs19 said:

So I called my CVS and they said the did have it in generic form

Generic escitalopram liquid is widely available in the US, see https://www.goodrx.com/lexapro?dosage=5mg-5ml&form=oral-solution&label_override=escitalopram&quantity=300&sort_type=popularity

These people may be able to order it for you at a reduced price https://honeybeehealth.com

We advise a 10% per month taper, at least to start. See Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor

@6ofclubs19

Hello!

I use liquid from Walgreens very helpful. They had to order it at first but now they keep it there for me. So much easier to tapper with prescription liquid! 

cvs or Walgreens can give you an estimate of cost for liquid with and without insurance before you buy it. Then decide if you want it and Then tell your dr . 

I did cut pills until I could get the liquid and I stayed real close to 10% range with pill cutter. My dr prescribed me 3 - 5 mg pills because nobody makes a 15 mg pill. He did this for me because he knew I was cutting. Even though he doesn’t want me totally off this lexapro. You can get closer to 10% a month with 5 mg pills. But you can only go so far. And not as accurate as liquid. 
With that said the best is to get that liquid! 
If you get liquid don’t forget to slowly transition over. 

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

@Heath

Nice to meet you and thanks for the advice. It gives me some motivation to have a convo with my Dr and request the liquid again. I’ve got like this mind block when it comes to talking to Drs haha.

I’m understanding, from reading on here, that it’s at the lower doses where it’s the most difficult to taper down. And having the liquid makes it easier to go down from say 2.5mg to 2.3mg.

Take care!

• Administrator
4 hours ago, 6ofclubs19 said:

I’ve got like this mind block when it comes to talking to Drs haha.

Everybody does. See How to talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal? What to expect?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostrata Thank you so much. You are doing the Lord’s work helping all of us out. The link you sent has some great advice. Especially the part about telling my Dr I’m hypersensitive and need the liquid Lexapro when I get down to the smaller doses below 5mg. 
Also, telling him that I want to try going to a lower dose instead of getting off altogether. Because therapeutically they have to support the idea of the lowest therapeutic dose.

Just an update, I’m on week 3 of 17.5mg Lexapro. I need to update my signature.

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, 6ofclubs19 said:

You are doing the Lord’s work helping all of us out.

She is actually doing the work (free) that medical professionals (who get highly paid) should be doing.

@ChessieCat Yes I definitely know that and didn't mean anything wrong by that saying. Sorry if that came off sounding rude, it's a saying here in Texas when you really really appreciate what someone is doing for you when you know they don't get much in return. You may or may not know that, so I don't want to sound daft. I am truly grateful @Altostrata and ChessieCat. Just wanted to make sure I didn't offend!!

That being said, yes the doctors and psychiatrists should definitely be in the know and helping me taper in a way that doesn't harm my CNS!!

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm aware of the expression and wasn't referring to that per se.

My comment (between the lines) was that Alto shouldn't be having to do what she does (and at no charge to the members) but it should be the medical community doing it, who get paid a huge amount and are supposedly meant to be helping people, not harming them.

I've been a member of SA since October 2015 and I have seen some member here who are on a combination of drugs which have a major interaction, and this can easily be checked by any layperson by looking it up on the internet, so why can't a doctor do that.  I have also seen horrific drug cocktails and/or drug changes.  For example, members who are trying to bridge from one drug to another but their doctor keeps them on the first drug too long and they ended up having to taper both drugs slowly.  Another example is my doctor wanting to start me on statin, Metformin and change diet all at the same time.  I refused, saying you don't have more than one variable.  Three months of low carb diet and I have reversed my diabetes and reduced my cholesterol to almost normal.  She's a young doctor and I am hoping that she has learned a lot from what I did/what happened to me and will be trying diet first.

That explanation and background will hopefully make my comment easier to interpret.

• Mentor

@6ofclubs19

I found this tapering calculator here on SA. Another way to keep things simple. Check it out it may help! Taperoff.co

http://www.taperoff.co/

2013-2018 merry go round

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

It’s Saturday 2/5/22 and tomorrow is the last day of week 3 on 17.5mg Lexapro. I’ve been doing great. It doesn’t feel any different than being on 20mg.

I plan to stay on 17.5mg at least another week. Originally I said I’d stay for 6 weeks, but I’m feeling pretty good.

Just wanted to give a quick update.

Hello, today is day 27 on 17.5mg Lexapro. Tomorrow will be the last day of week 4. It's Friday night. After work I went to a Zoom AA meeting and now I'm winding down for the night.

Week 4 has been harder than week 2 and 3, but not as hard as week 1. Earlier this week, like around Wednesday/Thursday, I experienced a lot of "neuro emotions", as they say. Just out of the blue started up the stinkin' thinkin' and really spun into a dark hole for about 24 hours. Then this morning it let up after I had my morning tea. I'm pretty much feeling normal again.

Also I've been giving myself the space to experience whatever emotions come my way, and just let them exist in their own space instead of fighting them. I imagine myself practicing for what it will be like for the next year, or however long it takes me to get off Lexapro. Or at least to a lower dose. If I want to be off, then I'm going to have to be able to experience these emotions, let them have their own life, and know that they aren't in control of me, and I don't always have to act on them in a negative way.

This week I went on a walk, I did yoga, downloaded some new music and listened to it, wrote in my journal, made some progress on some projects at work, a bunch of positive things so I can be proactive about feeling good, happy, serene, accepting, grounded, etc. I can decide ahead of time what my attitude will be.

Oh, and also I may be PMS-ing this week, so that factors into my mood. I believe I will stay on 17.5mg another 2 weeks.

Started week 5 of 17.5mg Lexapro on Sunday.

I've been eating so much junk food and have gained about 5 pounds this past week! 

I got a really great haircut on Saturday that I'm happy with. And today I received a great review from my boss.

Haven't had any bad moods lately since the beginning of last week, week 4.

Watching a documentary with my wife in bed for Valentine's day. 

One more week of 17.5mg Lexapro, then I'll go down to 15mg. That's a 14% taper down. I'm still cutting pills: 3/4 of a 20mg pill and 1/2 of a 5mg pill.

Feeling pretty good still. This week hasn't been much different than the 20mg.

I plan on staying on 15mg for 6 weeks. I plan to cut the 20mg pill twice and take 1/2 a pill + 1/4 of a pill.

I made a pretty big breakthrough this week after a minor tiff with my wife. The kitchen seems to be my "trigger area", and I become a control freak when my family doesn't "follow the rules". It's really painful emotionally for me because my wife and I get into this PTSD cycle: I get triggered, then she gets triggered, and then it's a big mess. Then 30 minutes later we sort it out. We love each other deeply and always want to work it out. It's a gift to be able to work on my trauma with her in real time. Then a day or so later, I was driving in my car thinking about the whole thing and the concept of how my "higher power" (or whatever you want to call it, god, the universe, etc) is keen to the idea of me having serenity. This "thing" with my ptsd and the kitchen is just one big opportunity for me to work on things. Yes, I've thought of this over and over a million times, but not in this exact way. It's a different perspective, having the HP by my side. I don't mean to sound religious or preachy. The visualization I have is like this bug crunchy cracker-like thing living in my body, like a plane of drywall or something, that's connected to my ptsd in the kitchen. It's a light tan color. And it's slowly crumbling and being blown away as I work on this. Cue the serenity that my HP "wants" me to have, and subsequently I feel such self-compassion, understanding, love for myself. And this translates being able to get to a lower dose on my Lexapro, as I got on Lexapro in the first place due to my PTSD responses to stuff. 

Wow @6ofclubs19, your self awareness is inspiring. And so crucial in getting off these drugs and truly healing.

I wish you all the best with your next drop x

Sertraline (Lustral):  2014. Sept 50mg. Oct 100mg. Dec 150mg. 2015-2019. 150mg. 2019  Apr-May 0mg. Beg May 150mg. End May 100mg. Late June 125mg. Late Aug 100mg. 2020 Jan 75mg. April 50mg.

2022  50mg. 1Jan 45mg. 1Feb 40.5mg. Water T24Feb 39.5mg. 3Mar 38.5mg. 18Mar 38mg. 25Mar 37.5mg. 22Apr 37mg. 5May 36.5mg. 18May 36mg. 1Jun 35.3mg. 15Jun 34.5mg.  30Jun 34mg. 15Jul 33.5mg. 22Jul 33mg. 5Aug 32.5mg. 19Aug 32mg. 1Sept 31.5mg. 1Oct 31mg.  27 Oct 30.5. 16 Nov 30mg. 30 Nov 29.5mg. 14 Dec 29mg

2023. 2 Jan 28.5mg. 6 Feb 28mg. 10 Mar 27.5mg. 1 Apr 26.5mg. 1 May 26mg. 1 Jun 25.5mg. 1 Jul 25mg. 1 Aug 24.5mg. 17 Aug 24mg. 5 Sept 23.5mg. 9 Oct 23mg.

Desogestrel:  2014 -  present:  

Supplements Magnesium. 400mcg  Vitamin D. 10mcg.  Multivit/min. 1 tab. B Complex

Certirizine:   2022 May 10mg. Dec 20mg. 2023. 15mg.

Omeprazole.:  2016 20mg. 2022  20mg.  15Jan 15mg. 9Feb 10mg. 25Feb 6.5mg. 15Mar 3mg. 3Apr 1.5mg.  15Apr 0mg   2023. 20mg. 15 Sept 15mg.

• Mentor

@6ofclubs19 Glad you are feeling pretty good!  I would suggest not doing a 14% taper.

my last pill cut was 11%. And ended up with nuero emotions. I held for about 6 months after that. 

With me several times that feel good is usually not long lasting after a bigger cut.  The feel good may yo-yo to the feel bad . The cns is trying to find its neutral place it wants to be at. So when we cut to much it gets to going to one extreme to another. And I usually don’t see it for days or weeks. It’s a delayed reaction. 

Did you talk to pharmacy about cost and availability for liquid? 
And then tell dr ? 

I cannot stress this enough- hold until you get that liquid.
Or make your on. Or can you weigh. 

If you must taper with cutting pill from 17.5. And you are going to do it anyway. I’m am gonna only say this to save you heartache and discomfort. I am no dr. This is only my experience.
This is what I did I cut that 5 mg in 1/4s.  With a real good cutter. You could taper to 16.25 mg. That would be a much safer at 7.2%. 
I would be on a urgent mission to get that liquid ! 
take care👍

2013-2018 merry go round

@Heath Thanks for the reply and I know you are right about getting on "an urgent mission to get that liquid." So, I've just sent an email through to my Dr to request the liquid lexapro again. I even included in the email a link to the pharmacy's website's liquid lexapro page. I just googled it, it was really easy to find.

@Blossom71 Thank you for your kind words. I don't always have that kind of insight into my brain, so it was nice to get it on the page. 

More to come!

I emailed my Dr's office on Sunday night and he put the order through to the pharmacy on Monday. It took them 2 days to order the liquid Lexapro, and today I picked it up! It was only $12 for 120ml. The Rx is 5mg/5ml, which means 1mg Lexapro per 1ml, right? Well, the instructions from my Dr say to take 4ml a day. I originally requested enough liquid so I could take 20mg a day to get used to the new liquid vs pills, so maybe he thinks that it's 5mg Lexapro per 1ml? I just picked up the Rx tonight after business hours, so I haven't asked him about it yet. Plus I need to verify with the pharmacy what exactly was given to me. But it does say 5mg/5ml on the bottle. It just doesn't add up. Also, the Dr wants me to do a follow-up in 3 weeks.

But at any rate, despite all the unknowns above, I got the liquid Lexapro. I reached a major milestone just asking my Dr for the Rx in the first place. More later.