UserMan1775: Having trouble reinstating Prozac, looking for advice

UserMan1775

Adding in members benzo tapering topic is here:  How would I do an ativan to klonopin crosstaper?

(mmt, 1/12/2022)

Hello,

My name is Dan

I was trying to get back on Prozac after having a relapse and/or perhaps strong post withdrawal symptoms last month, and for some reason it has been very difficult. I have been having odd symptoms I did not have when getting on Prozac years ago, and I think it might have something to do with incidents you all talk about on this forum.

I have been on and off Prozac since I was 16, it truly has helped me once I get on it, however, I think I may have stopped it too quickly this past time around and I am having difficulty understanding what is going on, for a medicine that agreed with me for the last 5 years.

I decided to get off of it under doctor supervision over a number of months, I have successfully tapered off Klonopin over the past few years and have been successfully off it completely since Feb of 2021.

Unlike Klonopin, which I knew I was dependent on from a doctor who gave it to me and did not share the full dependence potential, I knew I would be fine off of it. Prozac has actually helped my mental health, MDD, Anxiety, and panic disorder, all I had before starting, I know it is a different animal.

I had decided after this last stint of 5 years on Prozac, I was in a good remission and wanted to see if I could manage without it and get rid of those pesky sexual side effects, which I simply manage, but isn't the end of the world.

I had assumed 3 months would be enough for Prozac, as I cut down every month I felt fine, and less and less sexual side effects, which was the goal.

In September I was Fully off and every week sexual side effects went away and got back to 100%, which was great to see as I know some people still struggle after getting off it.

The problem was, the following month I started either relapsing or having some other withdrawal issue, as I know it does take 35 days for prozac to really be fully out of your system.

I spent the whole month trying to feel better, doing natural approaches, by November as I continued to get worse and could no longer function at work, I decided I gave it a try and it was time to get back on Prozac.

The doctor recommended I take 20mg for 2 weeks and then 40mg for 2 weeks.

Th first day I took 20mg, I was fine, however, the second day I took 20 I started getting an absolutely awful burning head feeling and tingling along with extreme anxiety etc.,

Doctor said to take it way down, go down to 5 mg Prozac, which I did for 2 weeks, and then 10 which I did for 2 weeks.

I recently tried to go up to 15, and had an absolutely awful time, and went back down to 10.

I read the symptoms people are having, and it sounds like exactly what is happening to me.  I should have never stopped Prozac as it was helping me, and I am so confused why I am having so many physical symptoms trying to get back on it.

When I get back up to 40, I hope this will go away as I read others have, but why is every time i go up, I am getting all these physical symptoms?

What is happening in the brain causing this? It does seem to get better the more days I am on the same dose, but every time I go up it seems to 'start again', if that makes sense.

I have not really been eating i have lost 25 pounds, and I cannot sleep and have other symptoms like my brain feels 'burny' and I get hot flashes and many other things.

Why is this occurring?

Zyprexa (Symbyax - Prozac + Zyprexa) 2010 - 2012 - Did classic doctor instructed 2 week taper, but was on lowest does and fortunately had very minimal issue. Maybe a week of feeling 'off' or so. Stayed on the Prozac though after.

Klonopin Mar 2013 - Feb 2021 - used .000 gram scale to cut pills did very slowly from 2017-2021, had no issues stopping after final dose that was sub .5mg diazepam equivalent (If anyone wants advice for tapering Klonopin with a gram scale, feel free to ask!)

Prozac 40MG for 5 years - 2016 - 2021 (Most recent after last break, been on cumulatively in my life 14 years all times combined)

Recent Issue:

Tapered gradually from 40MG down to 0MG from May 7th - Aug 18th

Felt fine through Oct 5th, slowly started getting depression, panic, and anxiety (Was original thing I was treated for)

Decided to go back on SSRI Nov 1st, reacted very bad to 20mg reinstatement

Took 5mg for 2 weeks, now 10mg for 2 weeks, looking for advice going forward, currently on 10mg and it is Dec 2nd

Edited by manymoretodays
added in benzo topic link at top, mmt

Klonopin Mar 2013 - Feb 2021 - used .000 gram scale to cut pills did very slowly from 2017-2021, had no issues stopping after final dose that was sub .5mg diazepam equivalent (If anyone wants advice for tapering Klonopin with a gram scale, feel free to ask!)

tapered off zyprexa twice over 2 weeks in my 20's, had little issue with that after about 3-4 years of use both times.

Prozac 40MG for 5 years - 2016 - 2021 (Total of 13 years of consecutive use)

(Most recent after last break, been on cumulatively in my life 14 years all times combined, 3 separate on/off occasions, all successful except most recent 3/4)

Recent Issue:  Tapered gradually from 40MG down to 0MG from May 7th - Aug 18th

Felt fine through Oct 5th, slowly started getting depression, panic, and anxiety (Was original thing I was treated for)

Decided to go back on SSRI Nov 1st, reacted very bad to 20mg reinstatement, day 1 was fine, day 2 had ADR. Doctor said to drop dosage.

Took 5mg for 2 weeks, 10mg for 2 weeks, still felt physically sick, could not take 20mg for more than 3 days, looking for advice going forward (ADR)

Not happy about it, but on 1.5mg 3x ativan and temazepam 15mg for sleep

(Was sleeping 2-3 hrs nightly prior to temazepam, was first thing that broke 2-3 hr then wide awake sleep cycle)

Main symptoms: headaches from certain foods and meds, sleep is broken, anxiety and agitation is extremely high, cortisol spike sensitive, bad in morning better at night, panic attacks, concentration is awful, focus is awful, anhedonia is awful, sensitive to light and noise, especially noise, extreme depression, intense bouts of fear, every looks and feels 'scary' at times, stress tolerance extremely low, have bouts of extreme anxiety, and bouts akathesia, and bouts extreme anticipatory anxiety over basic events/tasks. Nervous system is clearly crashed.

No Prozac for 249 days.

• ChessieCat changed the title to UserMan1775: Having trouble reinstating Prozac, looking for advice

Can I get this approved, it looks like it is still pending approval, let me know if I did anything wrong as I am a new member

tapered off zyprexa twice over 2 weeks in my 20's, had little issue with that after about 3-4 years of use both times.

(Most recent after last break, been on cumulatively in my life 14 years all times combined, 3 separate on/off occasions, all successful except most recent 3/4)

Decided to go back on SSRI Nov 1st, reacted very bad to 20mg reinstatement, day 1 was fine, day 2 had ADR. Doctor said to drop dosage.

Took 5mg for 2 weeks, 10mg for 2 weeks, still felt physically sick, could not take 20mg for more than 3 days, looking for advice going forward (ADR)

(Was sleeping 2-3 hrs nightly prior to temazepam, was first thing that broke 2-3 hr then wide awake sleep cycle)

Main symptoms: headaches from certain foods and meds, sleep is broken, anxiety and agitation is extremely high, cortisol spike sensitive, bad in morning better at night, panic attacks, concentration is awful, focus is awful, anhedonia is awful, sensitive to light and noise, especially noise, extreme depression, intense bouts of fear, every looks and feels 'scary' at times, stress tolerance extremely low, have bouts of extreme anxiety, and bouts akathesia, and bouts extreme anticipatory anxiety over basic events/tasks. Nervous system is clearly crashed.

No Prozac for 249 days.

Hello, Really looking for advice, should i stop or continue, if you wouldn't mind pls approving.

No Prozac for 249 days.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there UserMan1775 and welcome aboard,

We do at times get really busy here with new members, and so apologies for the delay in getting you started.  We do try to get new members going within the first 24 hours.  Sometimes it is just not possible.  Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for getting your signature done, and in the right place too!

How are you doing on the 10 mg of Prozac now?

On 12/3/2021 at 4:33 PM, UserMan1775 said:

Decided to go back on SSRI Nov 1st, reacted very bad to 20mg reinstatement

Took 5mg for 2 weeks, now 10mg for 2 weeks, looking for advice going forward, currently on 10mg and it is Dec 2nd

Have the symptoms noted on October 5th improved?

Any new symptoms?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal symptom checklist

Withdrawal symptoms do run the gamut, but you'll see many of the common ones, once you go to that link ^

What did the bad reaction to the 20 mg reinstatement look like?

It may be that you tapered a bit more quickly than your system could tolerate, hence the symptoms of WD(withdrawal).

We usually go with a more harm reduction model of tapering:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

It does look like you did wait a bit after you tapered your Klonopin, before tapering the Prozac........3 months, so that's good.

Were you experiencing any  Klonopin WD when you began tapering Prozac?

And you may be more sensitive to the higher doses of Prozac now too.  We often see a type of sensitization occur after repeatedly going on and off these kinds of drugs.

I'm not sure just how much you've perused the site yet, and so a couple more links to information that you will find helpful to understand just what might be going on now.

Tips for tapering Prozac

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Brain Remodelling

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions right here regarding your case and further tapering, give updates, communicate with staff and other members here, as well as keeping a record of your journey.

Welcome again. 

Love, peace, healing, and growth,
moderator manymoretodays (mmt)

p.s. no, you did not do anything wrong

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hello,

I don't feel great on the 10 mg, It was a struggle going from nothing to 5mg and then 5mg to 10mg, doctor tried to get me to 15 mg but it made me so sick i went back down to 10mg.

I have a really bizarre head is warm feeling and my sleep is COMPLETELY disrupted, i wish I had never gone back on prozac as at least I could sleep before in october, but the only reason I did it was all in October I kept getting these symptoms and started freaking out I was relapsing. I should have never stopped taking the 40MG I was on or at least waited a few years until I was in a better place to try in a more measure manner.

When I started the Prozac back up, on November 1st, the plan was 20mg for 2 weeks and 40 mg for 2 weeks. I think I triggered that kindling thing because immediately horrible tingling headache, sweating, loss of appetite, could not sleep and felt like i was going to die.

The problem is rather than stopping, and giving myself a few days for it to get out of my system, which I am starting to think I should have done. I have been taking the reduced dose 5mg for half the month and 10mg for the other half, and now I feel I am stuck in limbo and not sure what to do next.

I am working with a psychiatrist and I have explained all this to him, and he is honestly trying to help but not sure what to do, he is suggestion I try another SSRI and I know that may not be a good idea.

I have two questions, 1.) Would drastically reducing my dose to like say 1 mg a day be the solution? I just want to get rid of these side effects but if I stop cold I am worried I will get more depressed and feel worse. 2.) Would slowly going back up to 40 be the actual solution and then would I feel better once I get back up there? 3.) Any other suggestions? I am know I am a bit blessed being on prozac as a long half life SSRI, so I am really at a pivot point and looking for advice.

Doctor gives me as needed ativan but I am going to ask about adding low dose klonopin a day twice a day for the fear terror and panic, I don't mind being dependent on it again as long as I can get stable, I can always taper again in the future, I just can't live like this and the only relief i do get is the PRN ativan I take, but as most know klonopin is better choice as it lasts longer, and that is where I am.

I have MDD, anxiety disorder, and panic disorder all diagnosed before any medications in my system, so that is my underlying issues also.

ANY ADVICE IS SO APPRECIATED! I am supposed to talk to my doctor today, so anything will truly help.

No Prozac for 249 days.

On 12/6/2021 at 5:56 PM, manymoretodays said:

Answering Questions:

Thank you for getting your signature done, and in the right place too!

How are you doing on the 10 mg of Prozac now?

Not great, it feels like it still may be too much, when I went up to 15mg I totally flipped out, horrible sweating way worse sleep etc etc.,

Have the symptoms noted on October 5th improved?

Any new symptoms?

Last month it felt like a relapse, I was not really having physical symptoms, just getting more prevasive worry thoughts increase OCD, nervousness about everything, some tremors. I could still sleep and everything.

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal symptom checklist

Withdrawal symptoms do run the gamut, but you'll see many of the common ones, once you go to that link ^

What did the bad reaction to the 20 mg reinstatement look like?

But once I re-introduced the 20mg prozac everything got WAY worse, have a severe adverse reaction, super stimulated, could not sleep, super terrible tingly headache, felt like the electric shock thing but different, loss of appetite, pure fear, terror, trembling, sweating

I think I may have had that kindling reaction, I am terrified now if I will ever get better, I was WAY better in october just on nothing, maybe I should have just left it alone. But it is too late, I am where I am.

It may be that you tapered a bit more quickly than your system could tolerate, hence the symptoms of WD(withdrawal).

We usually go with a more harm reduction model of tapering:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

It does look like you did wait a bit after you tapered your Klonopin, before tapering the Prozac........3 months, so that's good.

Were you experiencing any  Klonopin WD when you began tapering Prozac?

Yeah I had 0 klonopin issues when I get off in feb, I was sub .5 diazpam equivalent when I got off and felt totally fine all the way til october.

And you may be more sensitive to the higher doses of Prozac now too.  We often see a type of sensitization occur after repeatedly going on and off these kinds of drugs.

Yes, I think that is what happened, I think I am having hypersensitization, I am not sure which, so I am really not sure what to do, what should I do here, should I go down or up I am just not sure where to go, I cant take these physical symptoms and the lack of sleep is driving me INSANE, if anyone could help me I would be so grateful on next step suggestions.

I'm not sure just how much you've perused the site yet, and so a couple more links to information that you will find helpful to understand just what might be going on now.

Tips for tapering Prozac

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Brain Remodelling

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions right here regarding your case and further tapering, give updates, communicate with staff and other members here, as well as keeping a record of your journey.

Welcome again. 

Love, peace, healing, and growth,
moderator manymoretodays (mmt)

p.s. no, you did not do anything wrong
Thank you, I just want to get back to normal, my doctor is very open is just not sure what to do next.

No Prozac for 249 days.

• Administrator

Welcome, @UserMan1775

On 12/3/2021 at 3:33 PM, UserMan1775 said:

The problem was, the following month I started either relapsing or having some other withdrawal issue, as I know it does take 35 days for prozac to really be fully out of your system.

What were the symptoms you had at this time? That would be October, correct?

On 12/3/2021 at 3:33 PM, UserMan1775 said:

Doctor said to take it way down, go down to 5 mg Prozac, which I did for 2 weeks, and then 10 which I did for 2 weeks.

How did you feel when you were taking 5mg?

When people have a history of going on and off drugs, and having adverse effects such as withdrawal symptoms, their nervous systems can become sensitized even to drugs and dosages they took before with no problems. It appears that when you went up to 20mg, 15mg,  or even 10mg, your system told you it was too much.

We often see this, and urge people to reinstate only very low doses to avoid triggering symptoms of kindling, which usually are over-activation, as you've described.

It's probable now that your nervous system is sensitized, you may be able to tolerate only 5mg Prozac (or less), and what the drug might be doing for you is keeping withdrawal symptoms somewhat at bay. With luck, if 5mg Prozac does not cause adverse effects, if you take it consistently for some months, your withdrawal symptoms will go away.

You may still have waves of withdrawal symptoms for months, see 

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

It's important not to mistake this for relapse, which is what doctors usually do. See

Papers on diagnosis of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

Dysautonomia (autonomic dysregulation)

Because of the sensitization, you may find that Prozac does not have the beneficial effect it did before. You may not be able to take "normal" dosages of any antidepressant again for years.

This is a site for going off psychiatric drugs. We can support you until you stabilize from withdrawal, but we don't treat "depression" or any psychiatric disorder here, or offer support for escalating dosages to a so-called "therapeutic" level. We urge our members to learn non-drug techniques, which are very useful to cope with withdrawal symptoms, to manage their "depression" or whatever.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I could have dealt with what was happening last month, had I known it was simply some residual withdrawal, getting back on Prozac made it much worse and like I said I feel stuck.

I worry WAY more about being stuck on drugs than being on nothing, I think I may have adjusted to 10mg.

Yes, no I am aware this website is not for treating mental health, I am just looking for guidance on the bizarre reaction I had and what to do next.

I will keep you posted, thank you!

No Prozac for 249 days.

• Administrator

Is this how you feel on 10mg?

15 hours ago, UserMan1775 said:

I have a really bizarre head is warm feeling and my sleep is COMPLETELY disrupted

If so, suggest you might go back to 5mg. Sleep disruption is not a beneficial effect of antidepressants.

Please let us know how you're doing. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

On 12/8/2021 at 11:13 PM, Altostrata said:

Is this how you feel on 10mg?

If so, suggest you might go back to 5mg. Sleep disruption is not a beneficial effect of antidepressants.

I will try that, the thing that is driving me nuts, is the first day I reinstated i started getting this odd head tingling feeling and my sleep was immediately disrupted, could only sleep every 2-3 hours and I worry I fried something in my brain and will never sleep normal again.

The day before I was literally sleeping fine, I am so scared I will never have a normal night sleep again, even when I get back off. I have only been re back on for a month.

I fear going CT thought cause I tried that since I had only been back on for a month for a few days and I got SEVERELY depressed.

I am so scared I would have never re-instated if I knew something like this could have happened, I was MUCH happier last month and at least I could sleep.

Right now I sleep like 9-12 12-2 2-3 and then 3-5, it is not restful sleep and it is like I cannot get into deep sleep, I am so scared I will never be able to normal sleep again.

No Prozac for 249 days.

I'm sorry you are going through this @UserMan1775. You have not had a bizarre reaction, but a common reaction to being given what was too high a dose of a psychoactive substance to a sensitized brain. The same thing happened to me and many others on the forum. Your brain will heal, and sleep will return, but it takes time.

For now the priority should be getting to a lower dose of Prozac, as Alto suggests. You took 10mg for two weeks so going back to 5mg now is not CT. See how you do on that reduction and then we can discuss reducing further.

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

1 hour ago, Kiasofia said:

I'm sorry you are going through this @UserMan1775. You have not had a bizarre reaction, but a common reaction to being given what was too high a dose of a psychoactive substance to a sensitized brain. The same thing happened to me and many others on the forum. Your brain will heal, and sleep will return, but it takes time.

For now the priority should be getting to a lower dose of Prozac, as Alto suggests. You took 10mg for two weeks so going back to 5mg now is not CT. See how you do on that reduction and then we can discuss reducing further.

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Hello,

Okay, I am so scared, I just took 5, I am terrified because the doctor has just been trying me on different drugs and nothing has worked, I am just so scared and he seems to be unsure about what is going on.

I should have stopped IMMEDIATELY when I had a bad reaction, I cannot believe i kept going forward thinking it would be better, I should have just stayed off like i was not feeling great last month but it made everything SO much worse.

I am so worried I will never be able to sleep again normal, i used to sleep through the night every night too.

Sincerely,

Daniel

No Prozac for 249 days.

I understand completely. I was in the same situation two years ago. Try to find comfort in the fact that you have found this forum and we are here to support you. This thread explains more about what happened to you:

Adverse reactions to an antidepressant within a few doses -- how long for recovery?

It is very understandable that you did not quit. Most doctors will say that it gets better, and just give it time. But even if you had quit immediately (I quit after a few days) I don't think these symptoms go away any sooner. The brain has had a shock and needs to settle down again regardless.

Can you update your signature with today's date and 5mg Prozac?

How often do you take ativan? Did you restart klonopin? Please update your signature with the information. Include dosage and how often you take ativan and/or klonopin.

Edited by Kiasofia
Added question

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg

51 minutes ago, Kiasofia said:

Can you update your signature with today's date and 5mg Prozac? No problem, just did it

How often do you take ativan? Did you restart klonopin? Please update your signature with the information. Include dosage and how often you take ativan and/or klonopin. I was taking .5 Ativan on average everything other day, for maybe the past month. I still am doing that and unsure if I am dependent, I might be slightly dependent on it cause I do get huge relief when I take it. I am not sure if I should try and stabalize on a low dose klonopin. At this point it may be a good idea but I am unsure, I am just so scared.

No Prozac for 249 days.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, UserMan1775 said:

I am terrified because the doctor has just been trying me on different drugs and nothing has worked, I am just so scared and he seems to be unsure about what is going on.

Not surprising, since doctors know virtually nothing about tapering and withdrawal. That is why this site exists.

Please let us know how you do on 5mg Prozac. It will take about 2 weeks for the dosage change to settle.

13 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Not surprising, since doctors know virtually nothing about tapering and withdrawal. That is why this site exists.

Please let us know how you do on 5mg Prozac. It will take about 2 weeks for the dosage change to settle.

Okay, today is the first day taking it but I actually feel a bit better this afternoon already.

I spoke with my doctor and showed him this website and explained what I think happened with limbic kindling and why I have such a bad reaction as I get higher, but feel better as I go lower. Along with other things I think may have happened .

He said it is absolutely possible, and I showed him different resources on here and showed him the study links with this also. He said I am not the first to show him this website and other similar websites, so sounds like other people he has seen have had these issues to at least some extent.

I am obviously hesitant to try anything but he said he wants to try my on something else other than an SSRI and I can stay on the 5mg of prozac for now that is fine with him, he said he thinks I have some type of mood disorder.

No Prozac for 249 days.

27 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

By The way, I wanted to thank you so much for all the kindness and help, you seem very busy on here and I truly appreciate you commenting and trying to help me!

No Prozac for 249 days.

4 minutes ago, UserMan1775 said:

he said he thinks I have some type of mood disorder.

One cannot diagnose a person who is having an adverse reaction. That is like diagnosing a drunk person. Please ignore this for now. In addition our brains are not fully formed until the age of 25 and we are hormonal messes in addition, trying to make sense of a chaotic world. No one should get any kind of label before they are well into adulthood and even then most mental states are episodic and not chronic. And drug treatment lessens the chance of a good outcome. Please do not try other psychiatric drugs in the future. The chances of your sensitive brain having a bad reaction are high.

Make sure to add to your signature: .5mg ativan every other day and the date you started taking it. Benzos can offer some relief from an adverse reaction, but they have their risks and should be taken at as low a dose as possible and as sparingly as possible. Why did your doctor prescribe ativan instead of klonopin? Why is your doctor advising adding in klonopin in addition to  ativan?

For the next two weeks, while stabilizing at 5mg, please do not add in any other drugs than Prozac and Ativan. It will make it hard to know what is going on.

Also do not drink alcohol, and ideally do not drink caffeine.

Hang in there❤️ One moment at a time.

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

I'm also new user to this forum, so I don't have any wisdom for you, but I wanted to pop in and say that I am going through something very similar. I also went off Prozac after being stable on it for many years, then started experiencing negative emotional effects that seemed to be from withdrawal. I tried to get back on 20 mg just like you, but my body completely rejected it—similar shaking, nausea, inability to eat like you describe. I also feel a great deal of regret for returning to the 20 mg dosage. I ended up panicking and getting off Prozac completely again (although I wouldn't recommend this; I was just doing the best I could with the medical advice I had available). All this to say, I relate to many parts of your story and will be reading along to see how you do. I hope you can figure out something that works for you and get some relief soon.

Celexa

January 2017–July 2017, 10mg (last dose, switched to Prozac)

Prozac

July 2017–October 2019, 10mg

October 2019–July 2021, 20mg (last dose, went off starting in June by taking 20mg every 2 days, then every 3 days)

10/18/2021–10/31/2021, 20mg (last dose, stopped CT)

Zoloft

12/1/2021–present, 12.5mg

• Administrator

You're welcome, @UserMan1775 

You're taking Ativan every other day? What dosage? This may be very important. You may be taking too much Prozac AND you may be having some adverse effects from Ativan.

Please keep daily notes of times o’clock you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. We need to know how you feel before and after taking each drug, and your symptoms in between. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time o’clock on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

You're welcome, @UserMan1775 

You're taking Ativan every other day? What dosage? This may be very important. You may be taking too much Prozac AND you may be having some adverse effects from Ativan.

Please keep daily notes of times o’clock you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. We need to know how you feel before and after taking each drug, and your symptoms in between. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time o’clock on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

Hello,

Yes, I was taking on average .5 every other day in the evening because it was the only thing bringing my relief. I had asked about taking klonopin though because i know it has a longer half life and thought it may bringing me more relief.

Even when I was on 5mg of prozac back when I dropped down, i still had this weird head burning sensation, along with other negative symptoms, it was just less.

When I would take/do take the ativan it would be the ONLY relief I would get in the day, that was the reaction I got from it. Calming, removed anxiety and fear etc.,

No Prozac for 249 days.

Hello,

I updated my signature, I wanted to try to go up to 20mg one more time to see if it agree with me, I have seen a lot of people who they felt better after going up a bit even thought it was hard.

It also keeps my depression at bay, if I go to low i get severely depressed.

Yesterday taking it, I did not have quite the bad reaction I had taking it at the beginning of the month, my head got hot and I was flush but it faded a way a lot quicker and I did not have the headache I used to have when trying it earlier either.

I will let you know how today dose effects.

No Prozac for 249 days.

• Administrator

Without the daily notes I requested, I cannot comment on your plans. Some of your symptoms may be from Ativan interdose withdrawal.

On 12/8/2021 at 8:13 PM, Altostrata said:

You have already found that, presently, higher doses cause insomnia. While you're pursuing a higher dosage of Prozac for your "depression", which also may be an adverse effect of Ativan, you be causing your own insomnia problem.

Hello,

Oh sorry, yes you were right I had a horrible reaction going up to 20 mg. The thing is I am so desperate and I know the doctors are going to just try all these other drugs, which I know will upset my brain even more. Even tylonel makes my head do all these buzzy weird things, They are going to want to put me on something strong, it is like damned if I take it damned if I don't.

Here was what happened:

Nov 1 - Nov 2 - Took 20MG for 2 days, had horrible reaction

Nov 3-13 Was on 5 MG even that felt bad, but doctor encouraged me to keep taking and symptoms would subside

Nov 13-23 Took 10MG was hard going up, still was sick everyday, was trying to push through

Nov 23-26 - went up to 15 mg - had horrible reaction.

Nov 26 - 30 - tried doing no pills got EXTREMELY depressed and sucidial throughts, was scared

dec 1-dec 10 - went back to 10mg thoughts went away less depressed but was still sick everyday

dec 11 - dec 14 - Tried 20mg one more time, got immensely sick.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM supposed to do, I went down to 5 at one point but even that was too much, i am so terrified all the time, I am so scared.

I just want someone to like rent me a hospital bed and watch me for a month, I was feeling bad last month in october, don't get me wrong but i would have NEVER restarted if I knew it would make me sick like this.

I am so scared, and i definitely have clinical anxiety and depression and panic attacks BEFORE all this, I am so scared, what do I do, does anyone have any advice?

I do take ativan 1-2x today but it is the ONLY thing that allows me to even function, without it Idk what I would be doing right now.

Any advice appreciated! It seems like ANY dose of prozac is making me sick, I am so scared,

No Prozac for 249 days.

17 minutes ago, UserMan1775 said:

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM supposed to do, I went down to 5 at one point but even that was too much, i am so terrified all the time, I am so scared.

I just want someone to like rent me a hospital bed and watch me for a month, I was feeling bad last month in october, don't get me wrong but i would have NEVER restarted if I knew it would make me sick like this.

I am so scared, and i definitely have clinical anxiety and depression and panic attacks BEFORE all this, I am so scared, what do I do, does anyone have any advice?

What you're saying here (especially about the hospital bed) could have been a direct quote from me last month. Here are the non–drug related things that helped me get through that level of terror:

• My family's support. During the very worst week of my withdrawal, my mom came to stay with me. I also found relief when visiting family over Thanksgiving. If you have any family members (or close friends) you trust, I would highly recommend leaning on them in any way you can. (Even if you think it might be too much bother! I was very hesitant to make my mom get on a plane to visit, but I was in a state where I just needed someone who calmed me down to be in the same room as me.)
  • Getting time off work if at all possible. This allowed me to stop freaking out about needing to be physically functional and allowed me to instead just lie down with my eyes closed and live moment-to-moment through what my body was throwing at me.

Let me preface this next bit with the fact that I am only one data point and don't speak from a position of any expertise with this. But I found that although trying to reinstate Prozac threw my body into chaos, starting on a tiny dose of Zoloft (12.5 mg) immediately began to cut the panic. I'm still dealing with physical issues and not remotely back to my old self, but it took me out of the 24/7 terror cycle starting on my very first day of taking it. I feel like this is something the mods should probably weigh in on since I know this is not a site for recommending that people get on new antidepressants, but I'm just very struck by the similarities in our stories and wanted to offer any chance of getting you to a point where you can think rationally and establish a baseline from which to heal.

Celexa

Prozac

October 2019–July 2021, 20mg (last dose, went off starting in June by taking 20mg every 2 days, then every 3 days)

Zoloft

Yes, i read your story and it is SO very similar to what happened to me, the thing that is so frustrating are there no doctors that can help people through this?

Like what about a brain neurologist or something that can provide some guidance, the psychiatrists just want to give me more drugs, so far the only thing I have been willing to do is retry prozac and take a small ativan dose, but they want to try seroquel.

Do not get me wrong, i understand the psychiatrists are trying to help, I just cant imagine in my case this is a good idea, you know?

I am so concerned. Fortunately, the effects from going up to 20mg the past 3 days are fading, i didn't take any today so my head is finally starting to feel better, what a mistake that was.

I simply do not know what to do.

No Prozac for 249 days.

I know what you mean, and I don’t know the solution but I feel your pain. I’ve seen many doctors over the past 2 months (psychiatrist, psychologist, multiple PCPs, urgent care, GI) and none could help me—none even came up with an accurate theory of what was happening. It was only when I found this site that I was able to understand and begin helping myself. I think doctors can only be one part of the solution and that we need to be proactive in looking for solutions ourselves at the same time (although that’s so hard when your brain is constantly hurting you).

I’m glad the bad effects of the 20 mg are fading. I’m hoping that you continue to get small bits of relief in the coming days.

Celexa

Prozac

Zoloft

12 minutes ago, West said:

I’m glad the bad effects of the 20 mg are fading. I’m hoping that you continue to get small bits of relief in the coming days.

Thank you very much, yeah last 20 mg i took it yesterday morning so like 36 hours ago and brain zapping and stinging along with the intense nausea is fading, still no appetite but at least the terrible nausea seems to be gone, so that is a plus and im OBV not taking it tomorrow at least until i figure out what to do, so hopefully will be able to eat lunch.

Sorry for the poor typing, I am just so upset. 

The worst is the sleep, every night is like 3 hrs then 2 hrs then 1 hr then 2 hrs, it is so awful.

I should have never hopped back on or NEVER stopped in the first place, this is a nightmare. I am so scared.

No Prozac for 249 days.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello @UserMan1775,

I’m a longtime member here, but have not been active much lately. I recently popped back in and happened on your story.

I am so sorry for what you’re going through. I honestly don’t know if it would have been the right thing for you to stay on the meds in the first place, since you mentioned you had been doing well on them before you ever quit. I don’t feel equipped to make a determination about that, and, for me, I still have my doubts about most psych med prescriptions, but I do try to stay open-minded that there are some people out there who really do need psych meds for longterm maintenance, and I try not to dismiss that. (However, I think those cases are much fewer and further between than doctors say they are, and it’s obvious that if/when the meds backfire, doctors are blazing clueless to help us.) 

But all that I wrote above is kind of meandering and is not the crux of what I want to say. I want to tell you that, from my own experience and from communicating with people in this site, this does get better. You WILL get better... and you will be able to sleep normally again someday, too :) 

Edited by WiggleIt
Typos, ew!

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

I'm so sorry @UserMan1775. The same thing happened to me and I was furious with myself that I ever quit. I was desperate to get back on somehow, but like you it wasn't possible. I didn't think I could become normal again without it either, so I believed I had truly destroyed my life by deciding to quit. I did stupid things trying to fix it. In retrospect what I needed was time. And to be given a safe space to heal without any additional drugs or damaging treatments. Unfortunately, asking for help from professionals can make things worse. They do not understand how these drugs work and how to maneuver them.

I was able to heal, despite getting "help" from professional, not because of it. I am now two years SSRI-free and grateful to not be as drugged as I was. The brain, especially a young brain, does repair from the damage if it is given a chance.

Keep it simple, slow and stable

Drug history

2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

4 hours ago, Kiasofia said:

I'm so sorry @UserMan1775. The same thing happened to me and I was furious with myself that I ever quit. I was desperate to get back on somehow, but like you it wasn't possible. I didn't think I could become normal again without it either, so I believed I had truly destroyed my life by deciding to quit. I did stupid things trying to fix it. In retrospect what I needed was time. And to be given a safe space to heal without any additional drugs or damaging treatments. Unfortunately, asking for help from professionals can make things worse. They do not understand how these drugs work and how to maneuver them.

I was able to heal, despite getting "help" from professional, not because of it. I am now two years SSRI-free and grateful to not be as drugged as I was. The brain, especially a young brain, does repair from the damage if it is given a chance.

Keep it simple, slow and stable

Hello,

I just don't know what to do next, i Can't seem to 'stablize' at any dose low or high, and if i don't take it i get suicidal thoughts, and if I do take it i get sick and a burning brain sensation and naesae which i have to wait out for it to go away.

The ativan twice a day is the only thing holding me together, i know it is not great to add benzos, but it is too late and it is holding me.

Idk what to do, any advice is welcome.

No Prozac for 249 days.

• Administrator

This is what I meant by daily notes:

On 12/10/2021 at 7:50 PM, Altostrata said:

We see cases like yours all the time. However, you may not wish to avail yourself of advice here.

4 hours ago, Altostrata said:

This is what I meant by daily notes:

We see cases like yours all the time. However, you may not wish to avail yourself of advice here.

Hello, Okay, I can try to start with this:

Dec 15th-16th:

8am woke up, felt nauseous

12 PM ate lunch and took 20mg prozac

3PM tingly burning head ache started

4PM took .5mg ativan, start to lose nausea and feel better

5PM get dinner

7PM Burning tingly headache gets worse

9PM try to start geeting ready for sleep/shower

1AM finally fall asleep

6AM slept waking up every 30 minutes, was awful burning headache is still there and awful

12PM ate lunch and took .5 ativan, feeling emotionally and physically awful

2PM start to feel immensely better once ativan kicks in, still have headache

3PM start nap with awful painful headache

9PM wake up and finally 34 hours uncomfortable headache subsided for the most part (happened identically last time i took 20mg)

Was that better? Sorry, I am just so upset, when I take 10mg I also get sick, but much less, same with 5mg, i feel sick on pretty much all doses, but less is less sick, but no dose has made me feel "good" for 6 weeks

No Prozac for 249 days.

• Moderator Emeritus

Catch me up here UserMan1775, if you don't mind.

You went up to 20 mg Prozac on the 12th of December?

Why?

You started ativan 0.5 mg in the am, and 0.5 in the pm when?

25 mg hydroxizine nightly since when?

And then, yes.....the notes I see above are a little better. 

I'd separate the days out, rather than run them from one day to the next when posting.

That's a good try and start to them though.

You could post all of todays notes or daily drug and symptom logs tomorrow,  16th of December.

And then if you have just been messing with ativan for a couple days now, just note it with a date and ? as needed,  in your signature if you can.  I realize you are feeling a bit upset and confused at the moment, so do your best with that. 
Here's the link for signature edits:  AccountSettings/signature

Then, on the Notes, or daily drug and symptom log,I don't see any hydroxyzine listed.

Do include all drugs, over the counter drugs, and any supplements in your Notes, by name, and dose.

Times on the left.  Drugs and symptoms on the right.

We want to see your symptom pattern before and after your drugs(and OTC's or supplements even)

Looks like you are in the States too, so get some rest, listen to calming music, or quiet sounds if needed, and wishing you sleep tonight, a restful awakening, and we can go with what you post tomorrow.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Mentor

Hello userman1775 and welcome! I’m sorry you are going through this. Most of use here have experienced what you are now. That’s why we are here. Thanks to SA I am doing better. 
You will get back to normal ! It’s gonna take sometime as in months. 
You have the best advice and support  in the world right here. 

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

Catch me up here UserMan1775, if you don't mind.

You went up to 20 mg Prozac on the 12th of December?

Why?

Dr Wanted to try one more time to make sure direct side effect from dose increase, very much confirmed. Since I was on this for 5 years before and fine.

You started ativan 0.5 mg in the am, and 0.5 in the pm when?

Was taking it every other day in november, started taking twice a day about a week ago due to just freaking out, i have extreme anxiety and panic disorder

25 mg hydroxizine nightly since when?

I don't really take this anymore

Edited by ChessieCat
extracted response from quote and added spacing

No Prozac for 249 days.