HelpNardilWD: Nardil Withdrawals

HelpNardilWD

I was in Nardil for 3 years and it stopped being very effective. I recently tapered down over the course of 4 months. The withdrawals are hell on earth. Is there anyone out there with any advice and/or has gotten through the withdrawals. Just about all the posts I’ve seen about this topic makes me think I'm going to be suffering from this for a while to say the least.

I’m 28

Been on all SSRIs over the past 10 years.

Been on klonopin infrequently over the years.

SRNI - Effexor (about 8 years ago).

Had shingles when I was 15.

Had nerve pain as a result.

Have been on lamictal for about 5 years.

Has helped significantly with nerve pain.

Nardil for last 4 years? 60mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to HelpNardilWD: Nardil Withdrawals

@HelpNardilWD

I'm very sorry to hear you are going through this, but glad you found us. We are all volunteers that have been through the same symptoms as you or are going through it right along with you.

This is your page where you will receive information, you can ask questions, comment on things, and meet other members going through this. We ask that each member only have one page so we can keep all your information in one place so it is easy to access.

First, can I ask you to please create a signature page.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

You have gone through a very fast taper and that is why you are experiencing so many withdrawal symptoms. SA suggests only tapering 10% a month and you did it in 4 months.

I'm going to post some links for you to read at your leisure. 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

One Theory of Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome

Brain Remodelling

Here is a link directly relating to Nardil:

damnnardil: Anyone on MAO's? Nardil? - Introductions and ...

3 KIS's Keep It Simple, Slow, Stable

We don'd suggest supplements here except 2. You could try one in a small amount and see it it helps. If you don't have a reaction, you could try the other in a small amount after a few days.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

Please read this like I said at your leisure. I'm sure you will have questions. Please reach out to us and we will be happy to help.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Thank you for the quick reply and best advice I’ve had so far. How would I go about restarting the taper process?

I’m 28

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi HelpNardilWD, and welcome from me too,

On 1/5/2022 at 3:18 PM, HelpNardilWD said:

Thank you for the quick reply and best advice I’ve had so far. How would I go about restarting the taper process?

I just copied your signature here to look at.

I’m 28

Are you on the Nardil now?

And Lamictal?

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24613-how-to-summarize-your-drug-history-in-your-signature/

As the signature is limited to 12 lines, we expect you will condense your drug history. The last few years usually will do.

FOR READABILITY, SHORT LINES ARE BEST.

• A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs
  • Include ALL drugs, doses, and dates (starting and stopping)
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years
  • Use actual dates or approximate dates (e.g. mid-June 2018) rather than relative time frames (e.g. 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months (e.g. "January" or "Jan" as 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as 9 Jan 2016 or 1 Sept 2016)
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses

Example:

2001–2002 paroxetine 
2003  citalopram 
2004  paroxetine
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to 2016 Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg

If you edit your signature, the new one replaces any prior signature. It will appear in your signature under all your posts, even your old posts. If you want to save the information in the old signature, copy it and save it in a file on your computer or in a post in your Introductions topic.

(As of 12/31/13: Signatures are limited to 12 lines of text.)

How to add or edit your signature

1. Click on this link to open the correct page in User Settings:
    Create Your Signature in "Account Settings"
    2017-June 12 update: link works on desktop, tablet and mobile phone versions

If you would go in and edit yours, and then just make sure to get dates, drugs, and dosages of any current drugs in there. 

That will help.  Don't forget to hit the SAVE button when you are done editing.

I'm not sure right now what you are on, or thinking about tapering.

Many thanks, and best,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you wondering about re-instating, rather than tapering??

I'm unclear about that at the moment.

So do edit your signature and clarify for me.  Thank you.

We don't have a Nardil tapering topic as yet.  Generally, the same principles would apply though.  And we can find more information too.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

^ explains more about our harm reduction model

And if you are considering a reinstatement, this topic is helpful too:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

just have a read through for now, and do let us know what symptoms of WD you might be experiencing, and also when you came off the Nardil too, if that is the case.  I see now, in your first post that you did come off the Nardil.  When was that?  And then how did you do your last fast taper off of it?

I did have a horrible WD(withdrawal) from that, Nardil,  way back in time, and didn't know it was WD, nor did my doctors unfortunately.

So.....happy to help.

Good to see you getting around the site a little already too.

Excellent.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
more

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Tapered over a period of 4 months and I just finished. My psychiatrist told me I only need to go down 15mg a week. I told him that didn’t sound right so I came down 15 mg every two weeks. 60mg was my original dose. What a nightmare this has been. It’s not the first time I’ve had an incompetent psychiatrist before 

I’m 28

• 8 months later...

Hi @HelpNardilWD,

I'm going through Nardil withdrawal as well. Could you clarify what your taper was like? It took four months -- did you make smaller decreases as time went on?

I'm having a lot of trouble making even the smallest changes. I've hit a wall at 1.75 tablets. I cannot decrease at all, even by an eighth of a tablet, without having severe withdrawal symptoms. I'm wondering how it was decreasing Nardil 15mg at a time after taking it for four years. I've taken it for just over three years.

Thank you.

Lexapro, Celexa, Parnate

April 2019 - Current:

Risperidone (Dec 2021): 1.25mg, Clonazepam (March 2022): 1.00mg, Lamotrigine: 200mg, Modafinil (April 2019): 50mg, Zolpidem (Jan 2019): 12.5mg, Nardil (varying dosages, from 45mg to 90mg)

Nardil Tapering log:

02/19/2022: 37.5mg, 05/17/2022: 41.5mg, 05/28/2022: 37.5mg, 06/07/2022: 33.75mg, 06/13/2022: 30mg, 06/18/2022: 27.5mg, 06/23/2022: 22.5mg, 07/09/2022: 27.5mg, 07/15/2022: 30mg, 07/30/2022: 26.25mg, 08/06/2022: 24.375mg 08/23/2022: 26.25mg, 08/28/2022: 24.375mg, 09/03: 26.25mg

Hi gollyned, 

I didn’t make smaller decreases as time went on but if I could go back I would taper much slower than I did. Instead of four months I would try to do it over the course of at least a year. For me the withdrawals were rough and lasted months but I eventually got through them. Hang in there my friend. 

I’m 28