Taurine (L-taurine amino acid)

dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

I stopped taking taurine a few days ago, I've been taking it at night to help with sleep and I've found that it definitely helps and has improved my sleep quality. But I don't want to take it any more, I want to be able to sleep naturally. I'm also a little concerned that its effects are connected with GABA and I think I'm also trying to recover from benzo use, so taking taurine regularly might be delaying that recovery process, I don't know, but its a concern I've had for a while.

Since I stopped taking it, I've noticed a difference, but it hasn't been awful. I probably should have reduced the dose rather than just stop, to make for a smoother transition, but oh well, I did it now :mellow:

I still fall asleep fine, but my mind/brain seems to be more active through the night with more vivid dreams and frequent waking, but only slight waking, not completely. A positive change is that when I wake up in the morning, its not quite as 'painful' as it usually is, the transition seems smoother. I'm still getting my cortisol and adreneline effects, but they mainly effect my body, when taking taurine, my brain seems to have a harder time adjusting to the waking state in the morning, causing an unpleasant sensation of feeling like I'm still dreaming while being awake. That has stopped now.

Scientists close in on taurine's activity in the brain (Red Bull drinkers, take note)

Taurine is one of the most plentiful amino acids in the human brain, but neuroscientists are still puzzled by just how brain cells put it to use. Now, a team of researchers at Weill Cornell Medical College (WCMC) has uncovered a prime site of activity for the molecule, bringing them closer to solving that mystery.

"We have discovered that taurine is a strong activator of what are known as GABA [gamma-aminobutyric acid] receptors in a regulatory area of the brain called the thalamus," said study senior author Neil L. Harrison, professor of pharmacology and pharmacology in anesthesiology at WCMC. "We had discovered these receptors two years ago and showed that they interact with the neurotransmitter GABA -- the brain's key inhibitory transmitter -- that is also involved in brain development. It seems that taurine shares these receptors."....

"Scientists have long questioned whether taurine might act on an as-yet-undiscovered receptor of its own," said lead researcher Fan Jia, postdoctoral scientist in anesthesiology. "But after some recent work in our lab, we ended up zeroing in on this population of GABA receptors in the thalamus."

The thalamus, located deep in the brain's center, is involved in what neuroscientists call "behavioral state control," helping to regulate transitions between sleep and wakefulness, for example...

"We found that taurine is extraordinarily active on this population of GABA receptors in the thalamus," Harrison said. "It came as a bit of a surprise that the same receptor was used by both taurine and GABA. Nevertheless, finding taurine's receptor has been like discovering the 'missing link' in taurine biology."

Now, Harrison's group is trying to determine what taurine actually does in the brain; Harrison said that because GABA is important for forging new cell-to-cell connections in the developing brain, "and because taurine shares a receptor with GABA, it, too, may play a role in neurological development."...

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2008/02/scientists-close-taurines-activity-brain

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi petunia

I'm glad to hear you are sleeping ok without the taurine. I hope this continues for u and have good night sleep as we know sleep is so important to function properly. Take care pet

Hardy

Currently suffer extreme CFS, Lyme, adrenal fatigue, bad gut issues, reaction bad to mold basically etc home a lot. Can hardly walk all I get crash easily. 
I’m currently on mirtizapine 1.7mg and Reboxetine 0.4mg. I did a cut on reboxetine on the 19/4/20 around 11%. 
Also taking Ativan since January 2mg. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been waffling about taking taurine. As I've been seeking ways to reduce the Cortisol Spikes I invariably have been getting through my antidepressant withdrawal.  My main concern- is to make sure that I don't have another 'tolerance/addiction' to another supplement/drug.

A.K.A. another Benzo Withdrawal Hell. 

Yet I also desire a decent night's sleep once in a while.

I have a question: How are the long termers doing with Taurine? Take it every night? Or occasionally?  What are your results?

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

I've been waffling about taking taurine. As I've been seeking ways to reduce the Cortisol Spikes I invariably have been getting through my antidepressant withdrawal.  My main concern- is to make sure that I don't have another 'tolerance/addiction' to another supplement/drug.

A.K.A. another Benzo Withdrawal Hell. 

Yet I also desire a decent night's sleep once in a while.

I have a question: How are the long termers doing with Taurine? Take it every night? Or occasionally?  What are your results?

I took some Taurine before bed last night.  What a mistake.

It drove my blood pressure so high that it was difficult to breathe most of the night. And then- after it subsided, my Cortisol Spikes kick in. So even less sleep than 'normal'.

Right now if there was a Pharmaceutical Rep within arm's reach- ....

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

• 1 month later...

I seem to have emulated LexHex's experience with Taurine- at least so far. It's only been one day- but I will be monitoring this as it develops.

Taurine Day 4. I'm still just doing one 500mg tab a day in the morning. Monday was indeed stimulating. It's like I was buzzed. Tuesday- less so. Wednesday- was a bit of a downer. But I still had an appetite. This morning (Thursday) I feel different. Something about last night's sleep that I cannot put my finger onto.

My skin burn that's been almost constant for months is almost imperceptible this morning.

Taurine Day 8. No Cortisol Surge night #5.  How nice it is to get a halfway decent night's sleep. A wee bit of morning anxiety- which appears to be lessening as well. The constant skin burn- appears to have disappeared. 

The best solution I've found so far - 12.5mg dose of Atenolol every day. Completely kills the anxiety - the racing heart, the buzzing and the crazy feeling in the head. Best of all, it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier so less likely to cause sleep disturbances than with other beta blockers. Been almost 4 months one this med now and ZERO problems. If the 500mg of Taurine is working, just stay at that level. But adding Atenolol will likely take care of any remaining issues. Definitely talk to your doctor.

Short term low dose Klonopin use back in 2004
Acute, protracted withdrawal after discontinuing
Began Lexapro in 2005 to ease Benzo withdrawal
Took 2 years to stabilize
Rapid taper from Lexapro in July/August 2012
Return of anxiety, insomnia and cardiac issues
Failed reinstatement early August 2012
Acute withdrawal for 9 months; intermittent symptoms for another 6

Relief on February 9, 2014 after addition of Taurine

Almost complete remission of symptoms w/addition of 12.5mg Atenolol daily

Atenolol? Another Beta-blocker.  I'll pass. I want my body to heal.

• 2 months later...

I started Taurine last night and help with my palpitations and anxiety. I unfortunately have to take glaucoma drops that have been raising my heart beat. I'm not sure if I should take it in the day time because of increase of dose. I did 500 mg. Feeling more relaxed with exception that my digestion is off. I don't think this was related to the Taurine but to potato salad and an increase in Vitaminc C...slow learning. Anyone else has something to share about Taurine's effects?

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue

something I found on Taurine that i think it's helpful in light of the discussion here

restoreunity [dot] org taurine and panic attacks

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

• Moderator Emeritus

gn11 --  The link you posted recommends orthomolecular, i.e. very large, doses amino acids.

I'd be slacking as a moderator if I didn't warn that people in withdrawal have sensitized central nervous systems and need to be very, very cautious about adding supplements that have psycho-neuro-active effects. Although some people have found taurine a useful supplement there is always the risk that a person in withdrawal from these franken-psych drugs may be destabilized or destabilized further by taking even a small amount of such a substance.

The article states that people should consult an orthomolecular doctor. Very wise advice.

As with any vitamin, mineral, herb, supplement or magical gizmo, start at very small doses -- ¼ (or lower) of the lowest amount recommended on the container.  Then increment slowly over many weeks while paying attention to your symptoms and while making no other changes. not be able to reach an orthomolecular dose

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Okay, thanks! Alta recommended it for my palpitations as a possible help. It did help.  Yes, I'm very careful with this stuff myself. I only posted it because it was a forum specifically about Taurine.Again,  thanks for the warning.

With all due respect, I'm finding myself VERY skeptical about trusting much in the way what a Medical Doctor has to say anymore. It is worthy advice Scallywag- when it comes to trusting neuro-active substances. I'd include the Psychotropic Antidepressants in that skepticism.

As to the palpitations- it does reduce mine own quite a bit.

Well the Taurine has been helpful in reducing my heart palpitations. It doesn't and hasn't eliminated them...but it has reduced it something fierce.

yes, I wanted to join this discussion. I am very careful with this stuff but Alto suggested it and it helped me.  What has been your experience?

One thing I'd do is definitely make sure the source for your Taurine is legit, and preferably, make sure the company has a read-out on the purity of the product (COA). We want the supplement to actual contain Taurine, so my suggestion would be to use sources that prove this is the case - or at least go with company's that are essentially veterans to the supplement business; like Nature's Way & Solgar. NOW Foods is another big one, but their prices seem sketch.

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

• 3 weeks later...

is it ok to take taurine while on an antidepressant?

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• Moderator Emeritus

hi downton -- did you read this thread from the beginning? You'll find your answer.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• 1 month later...

Correct, taurine is supposed to be good for heart health and arrhythmia.

However, it can be stimulating at higher doses. The amount that will trigger this reaction varies from person to person. So more will not necessarily be better when it comes to taurine.

I'm going to try some taurine to try to calm my anxiety and hope it helps palpitations that have cropped up recently...that I didn't know could be related to w/d.

Current:

*Abt 1995, started fluoxetine 20 mg/day, later raised to 40 mg; *Abt 1997, started Klonopin ? mg/day

*Abt [??] started first, very slow Klon taper

*Sept 2016, Klon updosed; swapped fluox for duloxetine/lamotrigine/Seroquel (very small dose of last, for sleep) cocktail

*Early 2018, stopped Seroquel; *2020, started second Klon taper

*Abt July 2022, accidental 33% Klon cut, w/no updose; have been holding for 15 mos

*Mar 2023, abrupt lamotrigine cut from 75- to 50 mg/day; *May-June 2023, abrupt dulox cut from 90 mg- to 60 mg/day

*As of June 2023, taking lamotrigine 50 mg/day, duloxetine 60 mg/day, Klonopin .25 mg/day, metoprolol 50 mg/day, Eliquis 5 mg/day, levothyroxine 75 mcg/day

"Forget to remember; remember to forget."

Magnesium Glycinate is a good anti-arrhythmia supplement as well.

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

• Moderator Emeritus

SA's Magnesium topic.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hey, I been tested for amino acid blood, and it came in result of very low taurine range.  The metabloic doctor agree

https://www.rambam.org.il/Officials/Pages/GalitTal.aspx

He wirte in my blood test results this title

a report of taruine defeciny cause psycho problem in medical literature

low cu blood, psycho image

i post my blood test soon.

Edited by ChessieCat
Typed in ALL CAPS - I've retyped in lower case for ease of reading

• 1 month later...

Hi. I've just ordered a product that has Taurine. I experience severe heart palpitations, and GP prescribed beta blockers, however my body has a difficuilt time assimilating drugs, think it's due to Fibromyalgia and impaired liver function. Have had to discontinue the beta blocker and try manage with tranquilizers. My main concern are the cardiac symptoms.ie arrhythmias. Wake up with heart pounding, next comes the flip flopping sensation in my chest worsening into a sensation of my heart dropping. I'm obsessed at trying to find a cure for these debilitating symptoms. Recently stumbled across a thread regarding taurine and the effect ir has on palpitations. Just hope it helps

• Moderator Emeritus

Natalie, you wrote "I've just ordered a product that has Taurine."

Does the product contain only taurine? Or, is it a "complex" with other amino acids, herbals, nutrients?

• If the product contains only taurine, give it a go following the "Start low and go slow" rule.
  • If it's a complex, you might consider returning it unopened in exchange for a product that contains only taurine. 

If you get a negative reaction when taking a multiple ingredient complex, it's difficult to tell what is causing the issue.

scallywag's Introduction

Hi, the main ingredient is Taurine 1000mg and the balance of the ingredients is a mixture of magnesium and co enzyme Q10. I've heard thousands of testimonials from people who swear by this product. If it doesn't work for me then I will get a product that is purely Taurine....really hoping this works. Otherwise will keep on at my quest to beat this

• Mentor

Hi. I've just ordered a product that has Taurine. I experience severe heart palpitations, and GP prescribed beta blockers, however my body has a difficuilt time assimilating drugs, think it's due to Fibromyalgia and impaired liver function. Have had to discontinue the beta blocker and try manage with tranquilizers. My main concern are the cardiac symptoms.ie arrhythmias. Wake up with heart pounding, next comes the flip flopping sensation in my chest worsening into a sensation of my heart dropping. I'm obsessed at trying to find a cure for these debilitating symptoms. Recently stumbled across a thread regarding taurine and the effect ir has on palpitations. Just hope it helps

have you had an ekg done? you may have atrial fibrillation, it causes the flip flopping sensation. it's important that you see a cardiologist to get tested.

atrial fibrillation can be controlled (but supposedly rarely cured- I'm not so sure about that) however it needs to be diagnosed as some ppl have a high stroke risk with afib

i have afib but I have very specific triggers and as long as I avoid those triggers, I stay afib- free.

if I was going in and out afib, I would need to take anti coagulants as my stroke risk would be quite high.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

I have seen numerous cardiologists. Ekgs and ultrasounds are all normal. Seen a homeopath recently and my trigger seems to be excess epinephrine an over active thyroid and Epstein Barr virus. Looks as if it's not heart related only time will tell. What are your triggers? Did your Afib show on the EKGs?

Afib always shows on EKGs. What you are likely experiencing are ectopic beats which are completely normal in the face of excess sympathetic nervous system overstimulation. Lack of sleep, caffeine, sugar, stress, all contribute as does perimenopause (if you happen to be in that age range). If you are testing positive for hyperthyroid, you should have that treated before you take any supplements. Excess thyroid hormone can come from a variety of sources; the pituitary, hypothalamus or the thyroid gland itself. Talk to an endocrinologist. Get a definitive diagnosis and then go from there.

Short term low dose Klonopin use back in 2004
Acute, protracted withdrawal after discontinuing
Began Lexapro in 2005 to ease Benzo withdrawal
Took 2 years to stabilize
Rapid taper from Lexapro in July/August 2012
Return of anxiety, insomnia and cardiac issues
Failed reinstatement early August 2012
Acute withdrawal for 9 months; intermittent symptoms for another 6

Relief on February 9, 2014 after addition of Taurine

Almost complete remission of symptoms w/addition of 12.5mg Atenolol daily

• 5 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Wow. Glad this topic is here. I have some taurine powder in my collection of expensive supplements a (non-SSRI-withdrawal-understanding) naturopathic prescribed me during early withdrawal and was wondering about trying it now during my akathisia/rages. I don't feel it's worth it to risk it. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I'd like to report that I've started taking Taurine about 5 days ago after reading reports on this thread and others in this site. I took it mainly to improve morning anxiety and negative thoughts upon waking in the morning. I started with 500 mg. before sleep (along with magnesium)  and then added another 500 mg. in mid morning. 

I must say the results are very noticeable as of the the second day: I feel calmer, more stable, and the morning negative feel has really decreased.

I am really happy about it , though careful... I am aware of possible reverse effects, so I am monitoring my sensations carefully. 

Thanks everyone here for the helpful tips and info., hopes this post helps to understand more about Taurine effects.

2011 - Started Lexapro 10 mg. Did help with anxiety due to stressful circumstances

2012 (about 6 months later) - Taper for about 3 weeks, following Dr. instruction. Horrible WD symptoms, so

reinstated after about 3 months. (also Dr. instructions. ) No idea about protracted WDS

September 2012-November 2015 - Back to Lexapro 10 mg. which balanced the anxiety off. 

November 2015 - August 2016 - Gradual taper (10% at a time, then staying on new dose for three-four weeks).

Tapered for 9 months and it was ok. 

Last dose before I jumped off - about 1/25 mg. a week!

Then - Terrific WD symptoms. (Immediate, then protracted).

Spetmeber 2016 - Off meds 

Supplements: Fish oil, B complex, Magnesium

A week into taurine, In the beginning was really good, I got very enthused even. But since last two nights am not able to

fall asleep, and then when I do I keep waking up at the slightest sound, and waking up feeling I didn't rest at all. 

Then during the day - very sad and lack of energy. Now I wonder if it is related to the Taurine, whether I need more, or less..

Who knows? 

I feel like letting it go, and deal with whatever happens without supplements (though still taking Omega and mag)

Any ideas, suggestions? 

Thank you

2011 - Started Lexapro 10 mg. Did help with anxiety due to stressful circumstances

2012 (about 6 months later) - Taper for about 3 weeks, following Dr. instruction. Horrible WD symptoms, so

reinstated after about 3 months. (also Dr. instructions. ) No idea about protracted WDS

September 2012-November 2015 - Back to Lexapro 10 mg. which balanced the anxiety off. 

November 2015 - August 2016 - Gradual taper (10% at a time, then staying on new dose for three-four weeks).

Tapered for 9 months and it was ok. 

Last dose before I jumped off - about 1/25 mg. a week!

Then - Terrific WD symptoms. (Immediate, then protracted).

Spetmeber 2016 - Off meds 

Supplements: Fish oil, B complex, Magnesium

• 4 years later...

Any thoughts on using this while tapering sertraline or any other SSRI? Is it a bad idea?

Prozac: 2018/05 - 20mg, 2018/07 - 40mg

Zoloft: 2018/08 - 50mg, 2018/12 - 100mg, 2020/11 - 150mg, 2021/03/16 - 125mg

Xanax/Valium: Aug/18 - 0.5mg, Sep18 - 1.5mg (2.5mg in extreme cases), Oct/18- 1.25mg, Nov/18 - 1mg,Dec/18 - 0.75mg, Xanax + 5mg Valium, Apr/19 - .5mg X + 5mg V, Jul/19 - .25mg X + 5mg V, Dec/19 - .25mg X + 2.5mg V, Jan/20 - .125mg X + 2.5mgV, Apr/20 - 2.5mg V, May/20 - 1.25mg V, May/20 (end of the month) - 1.0mg V, Jun/20 - 0.75mg V, 03/08/2020 - 0.70, 24/08/2020 - 0.60, 22/09/2020 - 0.50, 06/10/2020 - 0.40, 03/11/2020 - 0.30

30/11/2020 - 1.25mg of V (Updose due to being unable to work)

Feb/21 - 2.5mg of V

• 4 months later...

Can I ask a question? I am withdrawing from geodon now. Geodon is dopamine Antagonist. I checked in the internet, it said taurine will raise the dopamine. If I take taurine, will it cause trouble?

Edited by ChessieCat
moved post back to topic

2014 high dose of Geodon 400mg.

Zoloft dose unknown 

2018 May Geodon 160mg Zoloft 200mg

2020  Geodon May 80mg July 120mg

Zoloft August 100mg 3 days later 0mg

2021 Geodon May 100mg June 80mg

August 15th 60mg

2022 March 49.8 mg May 30 mg

Aug 0 mg 

"If you're going through hell, keep going"

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Felix said:

Can I ask a question? I am withdrawing from geodon now. Geodon is dopamine Antagonist. I checked in the internet, it said taurine will raise the dopamine. If I take taurine, will it cause trouble?

I have responded in your Introduction topic here:

felix-trying-to-taper-off-geodon-please-help

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone still taking Taurine for anxiety?

Zoloft, November 2019.  I worked up to 50 mg and stayed there until 1 year later. I tapered for 3 months, which should consider to be cold turkey.
Tapering schedule:
Month 1: 37.5 mg

Month 2: 25 mg

Month 3: 12.5 mg

Month 4(Half the month): 6.75 mg
Month 4(Other half): 0 mg December 9, 2020

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy