Siderale : One year off meds, two months symptoms-free although I thought I'd never feel like myself again: I overcame Escitalopram withdrawal

• 2 weeks later...

Your story gives me a lot of hope. I’m very early in my Lex taper (only on day 5 at 9.75 mg). Yesterday and today have been worst so far (weird intermittent brain pains on right side of head and general fatigue). Think I’m gonna just park it at 9.75 for several weeks before thinking about dropping any more. I’m in no rush per se and have been on 10 mg for 8 years so if the taper takes 3 years so be it!!

Lexapro Summer 2014 - March 7th 2023 - 10 mg 1x day

2023 Lexapro tapering: 3/8 - reduced to 9.75 1x day, 3/20 - reduced to 9.5 mg 1x day

Supplements:

Prescription strength fish oil 4g, Vitamin B12 500mg, Folate 400mg, NAC, Vitamin D3 1,000 IU, Lions Mane 500mg, Tumeric 40 mcg, Magnesium 250mg

Past:

2012 - 2020
Trleptal 300 mg 3x a day

2012 - 2014

Cymbalta 30 mg 2x a day

Other medications (short-term and unknown dosages):
Strattera, Latuda, Lamictal (2010 - 2016)

It is great to read your story. I just started weaning off Lexapro and I really don't know what to expect. Doctor said I will be ok without it and that it will be easy to wean off, but up to now I am already having nausea and some other symptoms.

Oct 9, 2021: Lexapro 10mg, Ativan 1mg

Nov 15, 2021: Lexapro 15mg, Ativan 1mg

March 1, 2022: Lexapro 20mg

March 8, 2023: Lexapro 15 mg

March 29, 2023: Lexapro 10mg

April 19, 2023: Lexapro 5mg

May 15, 2023: Lexapro 0mg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Siderale, 

you are such an inspiration to me! I have read your story so many times, and it’s very helpful in my situation.
Was on Lexapro for nine months, max dose 25 mg, quit because I had terrible side effects. I was shocked to see that the side effects actually worsened when I quit. Tapered off for five weeks.

Been off Lexapro for five months and have nausea, headache, fatigue and flu-like symptoms. Its not an option for me to start with the medication again, because it didn’t help me in the first place, just making me sick.

Lexapro has become my worst nightmare, but reading your story really helps me in my belief of getting well!

Used Lexapro for nine months, maximum dose 25mg. Tapered down in five weeks; 25-15-10-5-0

On 3/13/2022 at 2:43 PM, siderale said:

Today marks one year I stopped antidepressants (Escitalopram). I have been completely symptom-free for 2 months as of March 2022, but the biggest improvement in symptoms came past month 6-7 into withdrawal, I would say last October (2021). I am aware that this is quite fast and that I was lucky, but nonetheless I wish to document my journey to give hope to everyone that's struggling, be it 2 weeks or 2 years in.

Because despite my WD being short, I 100% honestly started to believe I would never ever feel "normal", let alone feel like myself again.

Congratulations! I am struggling since over a year with Lexapro and don’t see an end! And I consider seriously to reinstate again but first I have to overcome the greatest fear I ever had in my life.😢 

18 years of Escitalopram/ Lexapro 

• since 2004 until December 2021 Escitalopram/ Lexapro
  • Jan 2004 until June 2004 10 mg Escitalopram 
  • July 2004 until March 2011 20 mg Escitalopram 
  • 2011 until 2016  10 mg Escitalopram
  • 2016 until Dec 2021  20 mg Escitalopram
  • Dec 2021 until end of Jan 2022  5-week taper of Escitalopram, 5mg less per week to 0 end of Jan 2022/ last doses 2,5 mg /1,25 mg

Trying to reinstate with Vortioxetin/Brintellix used instead of Escitalopram/ Lexapro! in June 2022 Vortioxetin 10mg only for about 2 days; the 5 mg for 2 weeks, then Stop because of the effects of worse symptoms ( dose to high !? ) 

Starting to reinstate Lexapro on March 25th, 2023 with 0,25 mg following 26th March 0,5 mg; since 2nd of April 1 mg liquid drop; in between again dose cut to 0,5 for 2 days; increased again on April 4 th to 1 mg until 23th April;  reduced dose 0,5 mg again on 24th April 23 - 30.04.23; reduced dose effective May 1st, 23 to 0,25 mg. 

currently supplements are Diasporal Magnesiumcitrat 300 mg and Doppelherz Omega 3 Fatty Acids 1400 mg EPA 285 mg/ DHA 190 mg , Multivitamine Fruit Juice La Vita 

On 3/23/2023 at 6:27 PM, jower964 said:

Hi Siderale, 

you are such an inspiration to me! I have read your story so many times, and it’s very helpful in my situation.
Was on Lexapro for nine months, max dose 25 mg, quit because I had terrible side effects. I was shocked to see that the side effects actually worsened when I quit. Tapered off for five weeks.

Been off Lexapro for five months and have nausea, headache, fatigue and flu-like symptoms. Its not an option for me to start with the medication again, because it didn’t help me in the first place, just making me sick.

Lexapro has become my worst nightmare, but reading your story really helps me in my belief of getting well!

I agree, It is the worst nightmare that ever exists! I was on it for 18 long yesrs, I can’t believe it😢 And since my withdrawal over a year ago, I have unbearable symptoms, which make my thinking to consider reinstating the drug and  taper again after the symptoms hopefully will get better. Best wishes to you! 

18 years of Escitalopram/ Lexapro 

• since 2004 until December 2021 Escitalopram/ Lexapro
  • Jan 2004 until June 2004 10 mg Escitalopram 
  • July 2004 until March 2011 20 mg Escitalopram 
  • 2011 until 2016  10 mg Escitalopram
  • 2016 until Dec 2021  20 mg Escitalopram
  • Dec 2021 until end of Jan 2022  5-week taper of Escitalopram, 5mg less per week to 0 end of Jan 2022/ last doses 2,5 mg /1,25 mg

Trying to reinstate with Vortioxetin/Brintellix used instead of Escitalopram/ Lexapro! in June 2022 Vortioxetin 10mg only for about 2 days; the 5 mg for 2 weeks, then Stop because of the effects of worse symptoms ( dose to high !? ) 

Starting to reinstate Lexapro on March 25th, 2023 with 0,25 mg following 26th March 0,5 mg; since 2nd of April 1 mg liquid drop; in between again dose cut to 0,5 for 2 days; increased again on April 4 th to 1 mg until 23th April;  reduced dose 0,5 mg again on 24th April 23 - 30.04.23; reduced dose effective May 1st, 23 to 0,25 mg. 

currently supplements are Diasporal Magnesiumcitrat 300 mg and Doppelherz Omega 3 Fatty Acids 1400 mg EPA 285 mg/ DHA 190 mg , Multivitamine Fruit Juice La Vita 

8 hours ago, Caesar65 said:

I agree, It is the worst nightmare that ever exists! I was on it for 18 long yesrs, I can’t believe it😢 And since my withdrawal over a year ago, I have unbearable symptoms, which make my thinking to consider reinstating the drug and  taper again after the symptoms hopefully will get better. Best wishes to you! 

Sorry to hear that, best wishes to you too!

Used Lexapro for nine months, maximum dose 25mg. Tapered down in five weeks; 25-15-10-5-0

• 2 weeks later...

@siderale I am so happy for you! Your story is so inspiring. I’m hopeful we’re on similar timelines, as I’m about to hit the 6 month mark and I feel as though I’ve turned a corner this week in terms of better sleep and slightly longer windows. 

my question is, when did you try coffee again? Alcohol? Did you start with a sip here and there or commit to a full cup/ pint?

1/21 Prescribed 3mg Lorazepam/ day. Fell dependent in 10 days. Attempted 2 CTs before getting smart and tapering over 10 months- .0625mg drop every 3-5 weeks. 
2/21 Prescribed 20mg Prozac/ day. 
11/21 Finally tapered off Lorazepam

1/22 unsuccessful Prozac taper (skipping days)

2/22 Reinstated at 20mg daily

5/22 Switch to liquid Prozac

6/22 Begin Prozac taper of .08mg every couple weeks

10/22 Finally tapered off Prozac. 3 AWFUL days of depression and sickness, then feel fabulous for a couple months. 
12/22 Begin windows and waves of depression, panic and hopelessness

6/23 Symptoms stopped worsening but are still present 

9/23 Having more good days than bad, symptoms drastically lessening

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 1:54 AM, CookiePretzel said:

my question is, when did you try coffee again? Alcohol? Did you start with a sip here and there or commit to a full cup/ pint?

Hi there! So to answer your question: I tried out coffee again quite early on, I'd say after 2 months, but it wasn't regular. When I really felt like "okay, I want to try, I miss the coffee taste!" then I would make myself an espresso.

My psychiatrist at the time advised me to try it out as I often said I missed the ritual of drinking my espresso, because I was convinced it would upset my already upset stomach further - although I never had issues with coffee in the first place. My psychiatrist (and he was right, but that is in my case, I am aware that coffee can trigger worse symptoms in some people!) rightfully told me that, similarly to continuing to go out even when feeling miserable and keeping my habits alive would probably help coping with symptoms better.

As for alcohol: 3-4 months after WD started I shared the occasional beer with my parents. I drank stronger alcohol at times but in small quantities, as in it wouldn't even make me tipsy even outside of WD, and remained very occasional and with family or close friends.

In both cases I did most of the time commit to the full cup or pint. It happened that I threw away the very end of my coffee cup because at one point the foam disgusted me for some reason (that I assume was linked to the meanderings of withdrawal!).

Better days are ahead. If you read this and are still struggling - hang in there. It'll be worth it. My success story: I recovered from Escitalopram withdrawal.

Aug 2017 - May 2018 -> Escitalopram 10 mg. 

Nov 2018 - Jan 2021 -> Escitalopram 10 mg. Feb 2021 - 5 mg.  Feb-March 2021 - 5 mg, one day out of two.

Since March 13th, 2021 -> Escitalopram 0 mg. Withdrawal appeared 1 week after last dose.

Profile image: Edward Robert Hughes' "Night"

On 3/13/2022 at 7:43 AM, siderale said:

Hello everyone! Here is my introduction topic.

Today marks one year I stopped antidepressants (Escitalopram). I have been completely symptom-free for 2 months as of March 2022, but the biggest improvement in symptoms came past month 6-7 into withdrawal, I would say last October (2021). I am aware that this is quite fast and that I was lucky, but nonetheless I wish to document my journey to give hope to everyone that's struggling, be it 2 weeks or 2 years in.

Because despite my WD being short, I 100% honestly started to believe I would never ever feel "normal", let alone feel like myself again.

My history with Escitalopram

I wanna preface this by stating that Escitalopram helped me immensely with my initial issues in the first place. I have always been anxious and I will always be anxious.

In August of 2017 however, I was put on Escitalopram 10mg when it spiraled out of control (I developed severe OCD and hypochondria (health anxiety)). Within 3 weeks, the medication allowed me to live a normal life again. As it was a success, in 2018 I stopped the medication (10mg to 5mg in june and then stopped completely). I had no withdrawal syndrome at all and spent a wonderful summer. I relapsed in October 2017 (it was OCD and not withdrawal, 100% sure), and was put back on Escitalopram 10mg in November 2018, following therapy along too.

I therefore followed therapy and stayed on Escitalopram 10mg for another 2 years and 2 months from Nov 2018, up until January 2021 when my psychiatrist and I both agreed to try and stop antidepressants again as I felt much more stable and able to live without its help.

From 10mg, the taper was: 5mg through Jan-Feb 2021, and then 5mg one day out of two through Feb-March, until I stopped mid-March 2021.

Through the taper, I did not notice any symptom save from fatigue, but to this day I'm unsure if it was the taper or just the season (I suffer greatly from seasonal lack of sunlight!!).

My withdrawal journey and symptoms

A few days after my last Escitalopram dose, around March 18th 2021, my anxiety ramped up for no reason. On days 7-10 I got GI symptoms, and thought I had a stomach flu (still unsure if it was the start of WD or stomach flu!). Then a couple days later, I awoke brutally a few hours after falling asleep to full-body tremors that scared me a lot, I never had this before. This moment, for me, marked the start of my WD journey, for when I woke up later again in the morning, I felt a dread I never felt before.

March-May of 2021 were atrocious. I believe it was the "acute" part of WD. I was feeling such a wide array of very physical and mental symptoms that I never had to deal with before, not even before medication when my mental issues were debilitating.

I woke up every single day drenched in anxiety, filled with INSANE dread the whole day. I had huge crying bouts and intrusive thoughts, feelings of very very intense despair and helplessness. Anxiety would usually alleviate in the evenings but I was exhausted due to how my body was in flight or fight mode the whole day. My "windows" lasted a few hours, or half a day at max.

My appetite was gone and I had nausea every single day on and off (else I would just not have any appetite) for a rough 4-6 months, which was one of the hardest things for me to deal with. I'm still undoing the damage of this extreme weight loss as I type this.

It is in June-July of 2021 that the physical symptoms were the hardest. I had full-body exhaustion, maybe due to the severe weight loss, I remember doing my things on auto-pilot. However, this is what helped me move forwards: even at my lowest, I was able to pull through and my body helped me move forwards despite feeling so crippled. In WD it became SO important to hold on such "reminders" and remember that I could trust myself and my body.

I also developed photophobia in June-July, which lasted for 1 month and a half. It was very very weird, I had unilateral sharp eye pain upon looking at anything bright. I cannot stress enough that I never had such symptoms before ever, never had migraines etc, and it remained something isolated as I didn't have photophobia since!!

In Sept-December of 2021 , I mentally felt at a much better place and much more confident in my ability to heal despite symptoms still being part of my everyday life: mostly because my appetite slowly, FINALLY came back.

On a daily basis, I had to deal with headaches still, pin and needles, derealisation, tough time focusing and dizzy spells that were quite scary. I was feeling off and/or derealisation, or anxious with some intrusive thoughts.

Mid-January of 2022, I realised I had no symptoms at all for a week and that my last wave was probably a few weeks ago already. Maybe a couple dizzy spells through the beginning of January, but they wore off.

Another week passed. And another... and a month... and here I am now, 2 months after what I consider to be my last symptoms, and one year after my last Escitalopram dose.

This forum, along with the resilience I built through the past years, allowed me to brunt the force of what is to this day the hardest thing I've gone through. I kept going on because I said to myself everyday that this will pass, that healing will happen. And it did.

It was slow at first. I was counting the good days, and at one point I stopped paying daily attention to how I was feeling, rather noticing the days where I felt off: they were getting rarer.

I kept track of all my symptoms in a journal, and looking back I cannot believe I experienced this whole list (I haven't listed everything here else this post would be even longer lol), it sounds absolutely mental, yet here I am, at the top of a mountain I wasn't expecting to have to climb. And what a hike it was.

What helped me with some of the symptoms?

To deal with nausea, I paid great attention to eat more often but in small amounts and drink a lot. My GP prescribed me proteinated fruit juice as well. I would eat "bland" foods such as unseasoned rice or pasta as it gives you energy and sustenance still. The days (or hours) where the nausea gave me a break, I tried to eat varied foods. I kept a very balanced diet, and didn't cut anything save from caffeine for 2 months (without changing from what I usually ate, as I feared this would destabilise me further).

When anhedonia hit me I just let the day pass, because sometimes "existing" is enough of an effort and it's okay; and I tried to not mull over the fact that even my hobbies didn't bring me joy. I tried to focus on the absolute smallest things that felt nice: the breeze from my ajar window, the feeling of fresh water as I washed my hands, the odd birds outside in the distance... It's a great habit to take, actually, to become a bit "contemplative". A shame I had to discover this when everything else felt bad, but better late than never.

A warm shower would usually help my anxiety and/or crying bouts. It is the simplest yet most efficient thing honestly now that I remember it. Restorative yoga was also helpful sometimes (I never tried yoga before WD and it is one good habit I took during my journey!)

Repeating to myself that things come and go, including the hardships. Radical acceptance was a great read (I ought to find the link to the specific post again, I'll edit this later).

And now...

I can now drink coffee/alcohol just like before (I never abused it!). I can focus on and write my thesis, read complicated theoretical books, hold a conversation without feeling alien, hell I'm even less shy than before, I eat in great amounts and I have almost put back all the weight I lost. I just feel... profoundly normal. Back in my shoes.

I think my outlook on life changed a bit. It became more optimistic, more appreciative mostly because I coped with the atrocious feelings of withdrawal by focusing on the small things (when you've got nothing else...); and/or repeating to myself what people said on this forum and what I came to learn as I progressed, which is that healing eventually happens and that good days and bad days will always alternate, even if sometimes one part overpowers the others. Eventually, it evens out, and it's worth it when you look back at what you've been through.

Thanks everyone on SurvivingAntidepressants for making this possible - with your support, your advice, your journeys. We'll all get there and I hope from the bottom of my heart that all of you feel the relief that I got the chance to feel very soon.

If you're struggling and reading this: you're insanely strong for having soldiered on every single difficult day in your life. I'm just an internet stranger, but I'm proud of you, and I want to promise you that better days are ahead.

Paxil 2008 20mg 2016 40mg feb 21 2022  20mg, feb 28 0mg April 23 20mg April 24 40mg April 26 20mg April 27 10mg April 28 0mg May 7 10mg May 17 0mg

Duloxitine Feb. 21, ‘22-30mg feb 28 60mg March 14 0mg April 21. 30mg April 26 60mg April 28 30mg am/60mg pm May 7 60mg am currently still on

Lexapro 2022 April 14 5 mg April 18 10m

April 21 0mg

Trazodone April 24 50mg 

Currently on 60mg dulox and 50mg Trazadone 

taking hydroxyzine and xanax as needed

Thanks for sharing! Gives all of us still in the thick of things, HOPE and ENCOURAGEMENT!!!

Paxil 2008 20mg 2016 40mg feb 21 2022  20mg, feb 28 0mg April 23 20mg April 24 40mg April 26 20mg April 27 10mg April 28 0mg May 7 10mg May 17 0mg

Duloxitine Feb. 21, ‘22-30mg feb 28 60mg March 14 0mg April 21. 30mg April 26 60mg April 28 30mg am/60mg pm May 7 60mg am currently still on

Lexapro 2022 April 14 5 mg April 18 10m

April 21 0mg

Trazodone April 24 50mg 

Currently on 60mg dulox and 50mg Trazadone 

taking hydroxyzine and xanax as needed

• 10 months later...

Hey everyone. So, today or tomorrow - can't remember when I took the last one exactly -, three (!!) years ago now I stopped Escitalopram. Time flies so fast.

I still feel as stable as ever. Withdrawal and its wide array of very real, very intense symptoms feels like a fever dream rather than a memory. I remember it acutely, but it seems so unreal to me to have been through it. Yet I know it is very much real, and I know many of you still deal with it.

Writing this little message to give all of you this positive update and to encourage you in your journey.

Don't lose hope. No matter how long it takes, whether it requires reinstating or straying away from any medication, changing your lifestyle or not, resting or exercising-- there are as many "recovery paths" as there are people experiencing withdrawal. You will feel good again.

Take care, everyone!

Better days are ahead. If you read this and are still struggling - hang in there. It'll be worth it. My success story: I recovered from Escitalopram withdrawal.

Aug 2017 - May 2018 -> Escitalopram 10 mg. 

Nov 2018 - Jan 2021 -> Escitalopram 10 mg. Feb 2021 - 5 mg.  Feb-March 2021 - 5 mg, one day out of two.

Since March 13th, 2021 -> Escitalopram 0 mg. Withdrawal appeared 1 week after last dose.

Profile image: Edward Robert Hughes' "Night"

You’re amazing @siderale

The fact you keep coming back and sharing your message of healing — prolonged healing — is more powerful than you can imagine. 

Thank you. I’m getting there as well, though not fully in the clear (still have some symptoms, still on a med I’d like to taper) and your words stick with me 1.5 years into my own journey. I look forward to someday also writing a “hey I made it, and I both have l: moved on and will never forget” post for myself and others. You’re an inspiration. 

May you continue having nice moments throughout the normal ups and down of life. Best wishes 

Alberto 

Sep 2019 - March 2022 Trintellix | 5mg > 10mg Oct 2019 > 20mg Jan 2021. Taper over 1-1.5months Feb-March 2022 (psychiatrist offered no real guidance)

2020 - July 2022 Gabapentin (on and off) | most recently took 300mg for a few days in July to offset body burning from Effexor 

2017 - 2022 Bupropion (on and off) | 75-150mg. Stopped cold turkey ~ Feb/March 2022

2021 - 2022 Apriprazole | 1mg end 2021 > 2mg 2022. Stopped cold turkey ~Feb/March 2022

May 18, 2022 - June 17, Rexulti | .5mg > 1mg May 27 > 2mg June 3 > 1mg June 10 > off June 17

June 24, 2022 -July 4, 2022 Effexor | 75mg > 37.5mg July 2 > off July 4 (problem drug)

June 2022 - 1 week Vyvanse | 30MG

End June - July 4 Methylphenidate Er | 18MG

------------------------------------------------------

2020 - now Levothyroxine | 75mg @ 6:30am

July 2022 - now Klonopin | .5mg @ 8:30am and .5mg @ 8:30pm (thanks @Frogie!) for Effexor/Lithium adverse reaction/withdrawal

April 2022 - Jan 12 2023 Lithium now 0mg | 300mg > 600mg May > 750mg June > 600mg July > 450mg August 22, 2022 > 300mg September 22, 2022 > 150mg October 22, 2022 > 75mg December 12, 2022 > 0mg January 12, 2023. | Migraine Vitamins: B2 400mg October 15, 2022 - Magnesium 100mg November 15, 2022 > 200mg Dec 3 > 400 mg Dec 15 - DHA+EPA (Trader Joe’s) 1200mg December 15, 2022 > 1800mg Dec 15

🥰🌞

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

• Mentor

@siderale  fantastic stuff. Great news and thanks for sharing 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so glad you are doing so well!  Thanks for coming back and letting us all know how well you are doing.  It gives hope to so many people here.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly