GrannyHS: tapering from Pregabalin for 20 months

GrannyHS

Hi. I have been tapering for about 20 months now. Have got down to 14mg twice daily, so was really sad to see the fb group close. I just need the reassurance of knowing there is help on hand when I feel like the taper is never going to end. My legs at night are so sore  and want to know who else gets this. Like a tight vice grabbing my muscles. Muscles have got to mush as well. Sleeping a huge problem because legs are so painful. 
Pregabalin truly is the devils dug isn’t it! 
Hope everyone’s taper is going along without too many w/d things. 

• Altostrata changed the title to GrannyHS: Tapering from pregabalin for 20 months
  • Administrator

Welcome, @GrannyHS

I moved your post here to start your own Introductions topic. This is your case history, you can add posts about your tapering progress or any questions here.

What times o'clock do you take your drugs, with their dosages? When did the leg pain start?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...

When to jump!

Lots of different opinions I know, but when is it assumed “safe” to jump off Pregabalin (Lyrica)? I have sort of decided to get right down to 2 mg, but just wondered how people got on jumping off a bit higher. I am at 24mg a day now. Only real w/d symptoms that I get now are the awful leg and muscle pain at night. Oh and of course insomnia 🥱🥱🥱🥱

I do miss the old fb group, hope you are all good. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added intro topic title before merging with existing topic
  • Moderator Emeritus

As requested by Altostrata, please create your drug signature.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

tips-for-tapering-pregabalin-lyrica

when-to-end-the-taper-and-jump-to-zero

@MerryJayneFriday Are you able to provide any suggestions regarding the final dose of pregablin?  Thanks.

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

22 hours ago, GrannyHS said:

When to jump!

Lots of different opinions I know, but when is it assumed “safe” to jump off Pregabalin (Lyrica)? I have sort of decided to get right down to 2 mg, but just wondered how people got on jumping off a bit higher. I am at 24mg a day now. Only real w/d symptoms that I get now are the awful leg and muscle pain at night. Oh and of course insomnia 🥱🥱🥱🥱

I do miss the old fb group, hope you are all good. 

I am still at 410mg (down from 600mg) after 5 month taper, so not as close as you are. I just wanted to say congratulations on almost being done! You give me hope for sure. My brain still isn't healed 18 months after being cold turkeyed off a benzo, so I am taking it slow. If I could get to where you are in 20 months, I'd be so excited. I think I could take most things, but the mental stuff is hard. When you find and answer and jump, I will be following and remember for when I hopefully do it a few years down the road!

• 2 months later...

Almost there! Pregabalin be gone.

Hi all. I am from the Survivors fb site,

which I miss greatly. Well I have got down to 12mg a day from 150mg. Taken almost 2 years but I will get to the end ! 
Could some one give me any thoughts on when to take the final leap to freedom? I am just so sick fed up with the daily grind of titrating and wondering what to expect when I get to the end. It has seemed a lifetime on Pregab, and it never did a damned thing for the pain it was prescribed for. I seem to meet more people on a weekly basis who are newly prescribed - which is shocking. 
Thanks in advance. 
Hazel 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic
  • ChessieCat changed the title to GrannyHS: tapering from Pregabalin for 20 months
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Granny

I've asked the other staff for their assistance about the last dose of Pregabalin.

Please create your drug signature following these instructions.  Please state the dates and doses for every reduction so that we can see your taper rate.  Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Should probably say tapering off Pregabalin! I taper 2 mg every 2 weeks. I have been doing this for a long time now , as I found the 2mg drop was manageable. 
when I first started to taper a doc said 25mg drop is fine, then a week later same again! Damn near killed me. I played around with how much to drop until I got to where I am now. Titration is second nature now, but boy did I struggle with it to begin with! 

• Moderator Emeritus

@MerryJayneFriday Are you available to assist Granny please?  Thanks.

• Administrator
On 6/25/2022 at 7:02 PM, GrannyHS said:

Should probably say tapering off Pregabalin! I taper 2 mg every 2 weeks. I have been doing this for a long time now , as I found the 2mg drop was manageable. 
when I first started to taper a doc said 25mg drop is fine, then a week later same again! Damn near killed me. I played around with how much to drop until I got to where I am now. Titration is second nature now, but boy did I struggle with it to begin with! 

@GrannyHS if you are now getting withdrawal symptoms from a decrease, a decrease of 2mg every 2 weeks (4mg/month) is too fast. As you get lower in dosage, a 4mg/month decrease becomes a steeper and steeper drop. For example, if you are taking 40mg pregabalin, a 4mg/month decrease is only 10%. If you are taking 14mg pregabalin, a 4mg/month decrease is a 28.6% drop. 

We recommend tapering by small steps of 10% per month (5% every 2 weeks). A 10% decrease in 14mg pregabalin would be 1.4mg, bringing your daily dose to 12.6mg. 

We don't know what you're taking now because you didn't say. If we knew, we would be more specific.

Also, we need to see your signature with your drug history to understand your situation.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.