Burning sensations from withdrawal -- skin, mouth, head, elsewhere

peggy

On 2/18/2021 at 7:01 PM, dadtobe said:

@saimshah Unfortunately it's just a symptom of withdrawal that will get better with time. I also have the burning. It's improved from when I initially had it, but it still comes back for a week or 2 at a time. 

How much time it took for you to improve ? How are you now ?

2013-2021 Lexapro 20mg

10-21 started lexapro tapering

3-22 lexapro free
5-22 started to get paresthesia all over body mainly in legs , numbness, tingling, stinging sensations 

6-22 neurologist started me on Lyrica 25mg twice a day to see if it helps with the paresthesia, got a nerve conduction test which was negative

6-22 neurologist suggested quitting lyrica as it isnt seem to be helping, and reinstating 5mg lexapro to see if it helps with the symptoms, thinking of starting lower at 2.5mg

6-13-22 stopped lyrica by doctor order (only took it 4 days )

6-14-22 reinstated 2.5mg lexapro

6-15-22 neurologist added 10mg amitriptyline to try and help with paresthesia sensory symptoms

6-22-22 updose to 5mg lexapro (bad reaction, paresthesia got worse, back to 2.5mg next day)

6-27-22 went to see a new internal doctor, per symptoms (lack of appetite that had been going on for almost a month, the paresthesia, and gi problems), told me to suspend everything i was taking and take new low dose combination drug (Adepsique) 5mg amitriptyline/ 1.5mg Diazepam / 1mg Perphenazine and 40mg Propranolol for daytime sinus tachycardia

@Pepms My burning was a combination of Benzo withdrawal and probably Lexapro. For me, it varied throughout my withdrawal. I still deal with it 18 months off now, but I had severe burning where it hurt to even sit on the couch. It severe burning stopped at around month 10 or so. It literally stopped over night for me where it never got that bad again. Now it's just a noticeable itch / very mild burn, usually more noticeable when I'm stressed. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time to go away. I'm hoping it'll be completely gone in another 6 months or so.

5/24 - Started .5mg - 1 Klonopin as needed - 7/20 - Started Lexapro 5mg (still on Klonopin) - 7/27 - Lexapro 10mg - 8/5 - Started tapering Klonopin stabilizing on a daily dose of .25mg - 8/17 - Jumped at .065 (fast taper... but it seemed to work)

8/17 - Lexapro to 9mg (time to get rid of the next drug..) - 8/29 - Lexapro to 6.5mg from 9mg (probably too fast but I had only been on Lexapro for a month so I felt like I could get away with it), 9/8-9/13 - Had alcohol all week sporadically (1 to 2 drinks) because I was feeling so much better. I tested with 1 drink, got away with it, and just kind of got excited.. ugh 

9/13 - Lexapro was down to 2.78mg (so 8/29-9/13 6.5 to 2.78mg) way too fast I know. 9/14 - Had a dentist appointment, received probably Lidocaine - Had mild anxiety in the afternoon after Novocaine wore off - 9/15 - Feels like I'm starting back into acute benzo withdrawal, 9/16 - Definitely very back into acute something, feels like Benzo withdrawal with severe burning sensation on skin, doing laps around the house. 

9/17 - Updosed Lexapro to 3.9mg 

9/19 - Updosed Lexapro more to 4.46mg

9/21-9/22 - reinstated Klonopin for 2 days .03125 mg 

9/26-10/16 - reinstated Klonopin again .03125 mg-.046875mg 

9/29-12/1 - reinstated Klonopin again - 03215mg-.065mg Klonopin

12/1 - 0 Klonopin

3/2 - .67mg Lexapro - Having a terrible month

3/12 - 0 Lexapro - advised it may actually be causing adverse side effects

• 2 months later...

I have been suffering so much from burning brain and body, since I CT'ed sertraline 1.5 years ago. In the last months, I feel that it is ecen getting worse. Anyone who can relate?

Zopiclone: Summer 2016 - July 1st 2021. 3.75-7.5 mg. Stopped cold turkey.

Sertraline: Sep 2018 - Dec 2019. Max dose 100 mg. Tapered over the last 6 months.

Sertraline: Oct 1st 2020 - Mar 1st 2021. 25 mg. Stopped cold turkey.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hope42

I've experienced various burning parts of me. The first was in my upper spine. This then reduced for a few months and has now come back in another part of my spine. 

I'm experiencing the burning brain most of the time to different levels of severity. Everything fluctuates so much. I'm beginning to understand that fluctuation is key in the healing from this experience. I was expecting linear improvement and got very dismayed when I seemed to jump back to old symptoms months later but from this site and from others I'm in touch with I'm learning that recovering from what is CNS/brain injury jumps forward and then back with frequency.

My feet also burn particularly the toes, most of the time.  I find that lying down seems to make all burning worse. 

This is reported by many people and it made me very scared to begin with. Now I try to look at it as healing nerve endings, likening it to the itching of a scar healing. I do know people who experience this burning/stinging all over their bodies pretty constantly. I use an icepack on my head when the burning is at its worst there. 

I have found the symptoms and tips section on this site very helpful. 

1998 Citalopram for depression and anxiety can't remember dose - 

1999 Paroxetine (seroxat) for continuing depression and anxiety can't remember dose

2001 spring Ct'd off Paroxetine as was feeling remarkably better by GP - this escalated into a 2 month mania, concluded with a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder

2001 Summer put on Lithium 800mg and Venlafaxine 150mg a day

2001-2010 - went through cycles of increasingly severe depression/anxiety/short hypermanic phases, PRN Diazepam added and PRN Zopiclone, tried Lamotrigine, Sodium Valproate, Seroquel and Carbamazepine as alternatives to Lithium, all had worse side effects than Lithium, diagnosed with Endometriosis, PMDD - 

2011-2020 - many attempts to stop meds, some large increases to Venlafaxine as mood became more unstable and physical health declined

2019 Chemical Menopause, then hysterectomy - have been taking some sort of hormone treatment since I was 17, also antiemetics

2020 began to reduce Lithium myself

2021 began to reduce Venlafaxine myself and stopped using Diazepam and Zopiclone

2021 Sept 1st - stopped Venlafaxine - experienced 3 month feeling great

2022 January - began to experience severe burning sensations in spine, then rapid decline into withdrawal/PAWS/Toxic Encephalopathy 

Thank you du much🙏

Sertraline: Sep 2018 - Dec 2019. Max dose 100 mg. Tapered over the last 6 months.

• 4 weeks later...

Cold showers and cytokine suppress by Life Extension

In the first four months my brain was on fire.  Cold showers really made a difference.  They also help manage emotional symptoms without meds.  They aren't easy but if start off hot and then cool it down and use that setting (under 68 degrees for a few minutes) then aim for a minute at the coldest setting (build up to this over time, start with ten seconds or just your hands and feet.  Whenever my symptom flair I am back in the shower.  If symptoms are really bad it may take a few days to see much difference but you wil

Recent 2018 Zoloft 150mg  (20 years taking at various times, no real issues before stopping)

2019 Risperdal one month low dose (forget amount) stopped bad reaction

2019 Remeron 7.5 mg sleep  (discontinued in mid 2019) on for six months (tapered for a few weeks)

Zoloft 100 mg Summer 2020/Zoloft 75 mg Summer 2021

Zoloft 50 mg November 2021/ Zoloft 25 mg First two weeks January 2022: Reinstated 50 mgJanuary Last week)

Crash in February - on and off doses as doctors conflicted over serotonin syndrome/withdrawal - stopped all for two week & resumed:\

Other drugs tried in hospitals (Abilify, 1mg, 1 dose, Zyprexa 1 dose 1mg, Klonopin .25 4 doses in 2 hospitalizations)

March 1 titrated Zoloft up from 0 to 65 from February to Early May

Severe vision problems at 65 mg (improved depression)

Taper to 55 6/15, 45mg 7/15/ 35mg 8/1, 25mg 8/15, 10 mg, 8/31 OFF 9/2022 Omg  Improved with drops from August to September - November crash ONE dose Zoloft 3mg 11/17 - worsened symptoms - Remain off Zoloft

Mirtazapine -3.5 mg six weeks mid march to end april, occasionally for sleep

Supplements: Fish oil, magnesium, lions mane, cytokine suppress, MCT Oil

I'll be darned.  I just never thought of a cold shower or ice pack.   So glad to get these suggestions!

I am not a doctor and do not offer any medical advice, only my own experience.  Consult your physician.

2011-2015 tapered off 300MG of Effexor.  Back in the Paxil Progress days.  No rebound.   

2005-2021:  450 mg Bupropion XL Daily

2021 Buporopion May 450mg/June 400mg/July 375mg/Aug 10th 360mg/

2021 Dec - 150mg IR, 3x day = 450mg Bup, Heritage manufacturer-yellow color pill. 

2022 May 3 - 3 x 150mg IR Bup, Avet brand(pharmacist said they merged with Heritage-orange color) -migraines

REINSTATED-BACK TO MY LAST STABLE DOSE/TIME RELEASE

2022 June 5 - switched back to 3 x 150mg XL one time per day= 450 mg total Bup-Apotex brand

CURRENT TAPER 2022 Aug 31 - 450MG to 412MG IR Bup//Sep. 28, 2022: 412mg to 375mg//Oct 26, 2022: 375mg to 365 mg//Nov 21, 2022: 365mg to 327mg//Dec 27, 2022: 327 mg to 290 mg//Dec 31, 2022:  290mg to 262mg//Jan 28, 2023:  262mg to 190mg//Feb. 19, 2023:  190mg to 140mg//Mar. 18, '23:  140mg to 100mg//

I would really hope to hear from some of those that have had this horrible symptom of burning feet/legs and that it has resolved for.  I've been dealing with this for a month now and it is truly horrible. Super scary, giving me anxiety due to it being so painful and disturbing and also since googling this symptom is all bad news, chronic progressive neuropathy etc. 
It's affecting everything, sleep, relaxation, work. I can't think with this burning/ice sensation (it varies between too hot and too cold feeling and pain). I had a few better days and thought I was ok but now it's been back for weeks without a single days break, in fact I believe it's getting worse even though I have not tapered any more for months. I have it all day, every day, the first thing I feel or think in the morning when I wake, it wakes me at night. Last thing I try to shake to fall asleep. Does reinstating a higher dose help? 

Aug 2011 - June 2013 - 10mg escitalopram
June - October 2013 attempted to taper off escitalopram, GAD returned on lower dose, tapered back up.
Late 2013-June 2016 10mg Escitalopram
Mid 2016 aprox 6 months (including taper up and down) on 15 mg escitalopram during life crisis due to death in close family
Late 2016-June 2021 10m mg escitalopram
June 2021 - 5 mg escitalopram stayed on this dose an entire year, no WD symptoms
30 June 2022 - 4 mg escitalopram, no WD symptoms
23 July 2022 - 2,5 mg escitalopram, holding indefinitely.
7 January 2023 - 3,2 mg escitalopram. Went through major life crisis that has threw me into crippling anxiety and depression. Stabilising here for the foreseeable future.

3 hours ago, Taperstruggles said:

I would really hope to hear from some of those that have had this horrible symptom of burning feet/legs and that it has resolved for.  I've been dealing with this for a month now and it is truly horrible. Super scary, giving me anxiety due to it being so painful and disturbing and also since googling this symptom is all bad news, chronic progressive neuropathy etc. 
It's affecting everything, sleep, relaxation, work. I can't think with this burning/ice sensation (it varies between too hot and too cold feeling and pain). I had a few better days and thought I was ok but now it's been back for weeks without a single days break, in fact I believe it's getting worse even though I have not tapered any more for months. I have it all day, every day, the first thing I feel or think in the morning when I wake, it wakes me at night. Last thing I try to shake to fall asleep. Does reinstating a higher dose help? 

Hi from your drug signature it looks like you made a big drop of escitalopram back in July.  This has likely been too much for your nervous system, causing those symptoms.  It might pass on its own or if its becoming too much, you could consider going up a small amount maybe to 3mg? Read the thread on reinstating on here if you haven't already. 

• August 2004:  Citalopram 20mg for "postnatal anxiety".  
  • May-Sept 2011:  Adverse reaction to the contraceptive pill, causing severe anxiety and panic.  Was switched from 7 years on Citalopram to Lofepramine briefly, then Mirtazapine 30mg.  Was an anxious, depressed, suicidal wreck and got misdiagnosed with GAD by a psychiatrist.  I now realise my symptoms were all medication related, as opposed to so-called psychiatric diagnosis.
  • October 2011:  Pregabalin 450mg and propranolol 40mg TID added by psychiatrist. 
  • Feb 2013: Tapered off pregabalin 450mg; stopped propranolol.
  • July 2013: Switched from Mirtazapine 30mg to Cipralex 10mg in a two-week cross titration, which caused horrific withdrawal symptoms lasting months.
  • April 2015: Increased to 15mg Cipralex. 
  • 2017:  Was treated by a clinical psychologist for medication-related trauma and slowly tapered down to 2mg Cipralex over the next four years. 
  • December 2021: Switched from Cipralex tablets to drops to facilitate further tapering; this caused withdrawal reaction lasting approx 6 weeks. 
  • May 2022: Experienced severe withdrawal reaction after inadvertently taking expired drops.  
  • 3rd June 2022: Reinstated 2mg Cipralex drops. Stabilisation hindered by drinking alcohol socially; didn't realise impact of this. Nil alcohol since September 2022.
  • Supplements: Cycling Magnesium, Omega 3, Evening Primrose, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Vitamin B Complex, Zinc, Ashwagandha, Sage.  Had been taking these prior to withdrawal incident.
  • Feb 2023:  Relatively stable and aiming to hold on 2mg Cipralex and with a view to tapering down in 2024.  Tapered off Ashwagandha.

On 10/6/2022 at 12:55 AM, conkaia said:

Hi from your drug signature it looks like you made a big drop of escitalopram back in July.  This has likely been too much for your nervous system, causing those symptoms.  It might pass on its own or if its becoming too much, you could consider going up a small amount maybe to 3mg? Read the thread on reinstating on here if you haven't already. 

Yes I did consider that as soon as my symptoms kicked in more than a month ago, I asked on the forums then if I should consider going up bit was advised not to. I've understood that reinstatement is best done as soon as possible after taper? and that doing it now after many months have past could lead to more issues so I'm screed to go down that route. I wouldn't mind going up if I could be sure I wouldn't run into problems, but alas, no one can give me that guarantee. 

Aug 2011 - June 2013 - 10mg escitalopram
June - October 2013 attempted to taper off escitalopram, GAD returned on lower dose, tapered back up.
Late 2013-June 2016 10mg Escitalopram
Mid 2016 aprox 6 months (including taper up and down) on 15 mg escitalopram during life crisis due to death in close family
Late 2016-June 2021 10m mg escitalopram
June 2021 - 5 mg escitalopram stayed on this dose an entire year, no WD symptoms
30 June 2022 - 4 mg escitalopram, no WD symptoms
23 July 2022 - 2,5 mg escitalopram, holding indefinitely.
7 January 2023 - 3,2 mg escitalopram. Went through major life crisis that has threw me into crippling anxiety and depression. Stabilising here for the foreseeable future.

15 hours ago, Taperstruggles said:

Yes I did consider that as soon as my symptoms kicked in more than a month ago, I asked on the forums then if I should consider going up bit was advised not to. I've understood that reinstatement is best done as soon as possible after taper? and that doing it now after many months have past could lead to more issues so I'm screed to go down that route. I wouldn't mind going up if I could be sure I wouldn't run into problems, but alas, no one can give me that guarantee. 

Yes the sooner after drop the better. It’s a hard one as any change at all could destabilise you further. Having said that, you could reinstate a tiny bit extra, like to 2.6mg and see if you got any relief from that. You’re right, unfortunately there’s no way of knowing for sure what to do for the best. I hope it passes for you soon. 

• August 2004:  Citalopram 20mg for "postnatal anxiety".  
  • May-Sept 2011:  Adverse reaction to the contraceptive pill, causing severe anxiety and panic.  Was switched from 7 years on Citalopram to Lofepramine briefly, then Mirtazapine 30mg.  Was an anxious, depressed, suicidal wreck and got misdiagnosed with GAD by a psychiatrist.  I now realise my symptoms were all medication related, as opposed to so-called psychiatric diagnosis.
  • October 2011:  Pregabalin 450mg and propranolol 40mg TID added by psychiatrist. 
  • Feb 2013: Tapered off pregabalin 450mg; stopped propranolol.
  • July 2013: Switched from Mirtazapine 30mg to Cipralex 10mg in a two-week cross titration, which caused horrific withdrawal symptoms lasting months.
  • April 2015: Increased to 15mg Cipralex. 
  • 2017:  Was treated by a clinical psychologist for medication-related trauma and slowly tapered down to 2mg Cipralex over the next four years. 
  • December 2021: Switched from Cipralex tablets to drops to facilitate further tapering; this caused withdrawal reaction lasting approx 6 weeks. 
  • May 2022: Experienced severe withdrawal reaction after inadvertently taking expired drops.  
  • 3rd June 2022: Reinstated 2mg Cipralex drops. Stabilisation hindered by drinking alcohol socially; didn't realise impact of this. Nil alcohol since September 2022.
  • Supplements: Cycling Magnesium, Omega 3, Evening Primrose, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Vitamin B Complex, Zinc, Ashwagandha, Sage.  Had been taking these prior to withdrawal incident.
  • Feb 2023:  Relatively stable and aiming to hold on 2mg Cipralex and with a view to tapering down in 2024.  Tapered off Ashwagandha.

• 4 months later...

I am in about week 9 of Buspar withdrawals all symptoms have subsided. The only thing that seems to be lingering is the blurry eye sight and brain burning. Has anyone experienced the "brain burning" and does it go away? What causes it also?

November 25: Buspar 5mg 3x per day became very ill from side effects....Dec 6th- 16th doctor fast tapered 2.5mg every 3-4 days..... Dec 17th ER doctor Cold turkey at 5mg. Withdrawals Dec19th-current

• Altostrata changed the title to "Burning" sensations while you're taking the drug
  • 1 month later...

I had the burning while I was taking Sertraline, and still have it. How are you feeling now?

• 4 months later...

It's been a long time since I've posted. I know when I was sick I basically searched the forums a ton to find similar cases to mine and a lot of times when people were feeling better (at least that was my hope), they'd completely drop off this site. So I just wanted to briefly come back and say I'm doing a ton better, although I'm not "healed" in the sense that I feel like I have the same joy in life as I did prior to taking Klonopin / Lexapro, I still have hyper sensitivity to stress that causes catastrophic thinking, but I'm not pacing the house like a madman anymore and I get over it in a day or two with good sleep. I feel like I'm closer towards the end of this journey now than the beginning, but I still probably have 15% or so to go which I know will probably be another year or two. There was a time when I thought I'd never get better and I had the thoughts I'm not allowed to talk about here because the physical pain was so intense for so many months I never thought it'd end, but it did.

My severe burning skin left me after about a year off the meds, and was replaced by what I'd probably call severe psychomotor agitation for another year and a half along with what I would describe as the same symptoms as fibromyalgia (which I started to think I had) but that went away too, maybe 8 months ago.  All this alongside major insomnia, sleeping maybe 5-6 hours of broken sleep a night. My Apple watch was super useful in seeing my improvements, tracking months where I walked less, seeing my resting heart rate increase for months at a time, to now being back to where it was prior to starting withdrawal.

Insomnia was my last major symptom. I was sleeping 4-6 hours a night broken up until a few months ago. I stopped sleeping in the same room as my wife for over 3 years, which was pretty sad, because I couldn't sleep. I was so fatigued by 1PM in the afternoon, I literally couldn't do anything the rest of the day. I couldn't plan trips, because I feared I wouldn't sleep and I'd be tired by 1PM. I tried taking sleeping meds occasionally, like zzzquil, but most of the time I ended up feeling a lot worse when they didn't work, which was most of the time. I ended up buying a book on Insomnia called "Say goodnight to insomnia" and started reading it when I couldn't sleep, which was super useful. After finding the book, which practices some form CBT for sleep I think, I found a local sleep psychologist who practiced this. We journaled my sleep and spoke once a week. I kid you not, after working with the psychologist within 4 weeks, I was able to sleep almost as much as I wanted to again. My mentally towards sleep was to try and spend as much time in bed as possible to try and get as much sleep as possible. I was trying to go to bed very early, at like 8pm, to maximize the amount of broken sleep I could possibly get by the next morning. This would just have me taking a few hours to fall asleep, and then waking up at like 1-2AM for 3+ hours, and then maybe getting another hour of sleep if I was lucky. The sleep psych, had me contract my time in bed. He made me go to bed very late (midnight) and get up at 7am. They also cut me off from all stimulating electronics an hour before bed, and told me to read a really boring book during that hour. We did this for a couple weeks, which was hell, since I hadn't used an alarm clock for years, but eventually I somehow started to instantly fall asleep within 5 or 10 minutes of my head hitting the pillow at midnight, versus rolling around for hours. A week or two later, I started sleeping through the night and my sleep was no longer as broken. After getting to where I pretty much no longer had broken sleep, we expanded my sleep schedule outwards by 15 minutes a week. While I'm still not 100% perfect every night, the afternoon fatigue and brain fog went away. I don't think this sleep stuff would have worked early on even if I wanted it to, but I think because I've spent 3+ years healing, I was finally to the point where something like this could work. 

Anyway, I wish everyone best of luck, if anyone stumbles upon this and wants to reach out, feel free to PM me. I don't really use this site anymore but I thought about it today and realized I should probably go back and say something. 

5/24 - Started .5mg - 1 Klonopin as needed - 7/20 - Started Lexapro 5mg (still on Klonopin) - 7/27 - Lexapro 10mg - 8/5 - Started tapering Klonopin stabilizing on a daily dose of .25mg - 8/17 - Jumped at .065 (fast taper... but it seemed to work)

8/17 - Lexapro to 9mg (time to get rid of the next drug..) - 8/29 - Lexapro to 6.5mg from 9mg (probably too fast but I had only been on Lexapro for a month so I felt like I could get away with it), 9/8-9/13 - Had alcohol all week sporadically (1 to 2 drinks) because I was feeling so much better. I tested with 1 drink, got away with it, and just kind of got excited.. ugh 

9/13 - Lexapro was down to 2.78mg (so 8/29-9/13 6.5 to 2.78mg) way too fast I know. 9/14 - Had a dentist appointment, received probably Lidocaine - Had mild anxiety in the afternoon after Novocaine wore off - 9/15 - Feels like I'm starting back into acute benzo withdrawal, 9/16 - Definitely very back into acute something, feels like Benzo withdrawal with severe burning sensation on skin, doing laps around the house. 

12/1 - 0 Klonopin

On 4/5/2023 at 10:11 AM, Hope42 said:

I had the burning while I was taking Sertraline, and still have it. How are you feeling now?

My burning is basically gone. I can feel skin sensations but they aren't the relentless burning that I used to have.

12/1 - 0 Klonopin

I have had burning feet for almost 5 years since the withdrawal from trazadone. I'm hoping that one day it might go but have accepted this is how life is now.  It does make a difference - I cannot wear shoes or socks as warmth makes it worse and I have to use ice slippers at night, getting up 4 or 5 times to swap them with others from the freezer. It is nothing compared to the hell I've been through in the past........and I consider myself fortunate compared to what so many others go through. I have only been off gabapentin for a year though - prescribed to help the burning (!) but after reading David Healey's articles on his RisK website, I realised that might also be stopping any recovery. 

Survivor of 20+ years labelled with 'treatment resistant depression'

1994-2002 - 33 different medications, various combos, various dosages. Slow taper off venlafaxine

2002 off all medication until 2005

Trazadone  2005 -2018 tapered from 300mg to 30mg before stopping too quickly

Zolpidem 2006 -2016

Venlafaxine 2006 - 2017 tapered very slowly from 600mg to zero

Flupentixol  2007 -2009 

To treat burning pain in feet - protracted withdrawal:-

Amitriptyline 2020-2022 reduced before stopping

Gabapentin 2018-2023 reduced before stopping

February 2023 NO MEDICATION, living and thriving

21 hours ago, dadtobe said:

My burning is basically gone. I can feel skin sensations but they aren't the relentless burning that I used to have.

Sorry trying to reply to you dadtobe........thankyou for your post and that's really interesting about sleep, so will try and reply to that directly. 

1994-2002 - 33 different medications, various combos, various dosages. Slow taper off venlafaxine

Zolpidem 2006 -2016

Flupentixol  2007 -2009 

21 hours ago, dadtobe said:

It's been a long time since I've posted. I know when I was sick I basically searched the forums a ton to find similar cases to mine and a lot of times when people were feeling better (at least that was my hope), they'd completely drop off this site. So I just wanted to briefly come back and say I'm doing a ton better, although I'm not "healed" in the sense that I feel like I have the same joy in life as I did prior to taking Klonopin / Lexapro, I still have hyper sensitivity to stress that causes catastrophic thinking, but I'm not pacing the house like a madman anymore and I get over it in a day or two with good sleep. I feel like I'm closer towards the end of this journey now than the beginning, but I still probably have 15% or so to go which I know will probably be another year or two. There was a time when I thought I'd never get better and I had the thoughts I'm not allowed to talk about here because the physical pain was so intense for so many months I never thought it'd end, but it did.

My severe burning skin left me after about a year off the meds, and was replaced by what I'd probably call severe psychomotor agitation for another year and a half along with what I would describe as the same symptoms as fibromyalgia (which I started to think I had) but that went away too, maybe 8 months ago.  All this alongside major insomnia, sleeping maybe 5-6 hours of broken sleep a night. My Apple watch was super useful in seeing my improvements, tracking months where I walked less, seeing my resting heart rate increase for months at a time, to now being back to where it was prior to starting withdrawal.

Insomnia was my last major symptom. I was sleeping 4-6 hours a night broken up until a few months ago. I stopped sleeping in the same room as my wife for over 3 years, which was pretty sad, because I couldn't sleep. I was so fatigued by 1PM in the afternoon, I literally couldn't do anything the rest of the day. I couldn't plan trips, because I feared I wouldn't sleep and I'd be tired by 1PM. I tried taking sleeping meds occasionally, like zzzquil, but most of the time I ended up feeling a lot worse when they didn't work, which was most of the time. I ended up buying a book on Insomnia called "Say goodnight to insomnia" and started reading it when I couldn't sleep, which was super useful. After finding the book, which practices some form CBT for sleep I think, I found a local sleep psychologist who practiced this. We journaled my sleep and spoke once a week. I kid you not, after working with the psychologist within 4 weeks, I was able to sleep almost as much as I wanted to again. My mentally towards sleep was to try and spend as much time in bed as possible to try and get as much sleep as possible. I was trying to go to bed very early, at like 8pm, to maximize the amount of broken sleep I could possibly get by the next morning. This would just have me taking a few hours to fall asleep, and then waking up at like 1-2AM for 3+ hours, and then maybe getting another hour of sleep if I was lucky. The sleep psych, had me contract my time in bed. He made me go to bed very late (midnight) and get up at 7am. They also cut me off from all stimulating electronics an hour before bed, and told me to read a really boring book during that hour. We did this for a couple weeks, which was hell, since I hadn't used an alarm clock for years, but eventually I somehow started to instantly fall asleep within 5 or 10 minutes of my head hitting the pillow at midnight, versus rolling around for hours. A week or two later, I started sleeping through the night and my sleep was no longer as broken. After getting to where I pretty much no longer had broken sleep, we expanded my sleep schedule outwards by 15 minutes a week. While I'm still not 100% perfect every night, the afternoon fatigue and brain fog went away. I don't think this sleep stuff would have worked early on even if I wanted it to, but I think because I've spent 3+ years healing, I was finally to the point where something like this could work. 

Anyway, I wish everyone best of luck, if anyone stumbles upon this and wants to reach out, feel free to PM me. I don't really use this site anymore but I thought about it today and realized I should probably go back and say something. 

I find your sleep experience very interesting. I did that on my own (didn't think of finding someone to help) but just by doing a forced wake up at 06:30  every day- the earliest I have to get up to make it to work. It was terrible at first and then got better as I got used to it and I slept better. Sadly, I then fell out of the habit after a holiday but despite the waking with the burning feet thing, I do still sleep better than before the early waking time. I have also learnt not to go to bed too early ie make sure I am really tired. It helps so much. But thankyou - maybe I need to go back to the discipline of the alarm clock!

Zolpidem 2006 -2016

Flupentixol  2007 -2009 

SLEEPING!  I cannot untangle the effects of insomnia from depression. Which comes first?  What causes the other?

Currently I'm sleeping well so mood pretty "normal". 

For people who want help with how to get their sleep on track and who can't afford to see a psychologist please check out the insomnia program on Australian website This Way Up. It's excellent for educating yourself about how to tackle chronic sleep problems

https://thiswayup.org.au/

Another thing for women round 50 years old who have disrupted sleep: hormone replacement therapy may change your life :)

37.5 effexor XR commenced approx 2004

Commenced taper October 2019 as recommended by this site. It worked! 

NO DRUGS October 2021-April 2022.

Commenced 25mg Valdoxan April 2022 (deterioration of mood/sleep from about Dec 2021)- happy to be on this for now.

• 1 month later...

Burning sensations and nerves

Do y’all experience burning in your brain and nerve burning and not being able to handle anything stressful at all ???

Edited by manymoretodays
added title

I started with Paxil 20 mg at 14 for GAD and SAD. At 22 1/3 or 23 still on Paxil but the 20mg wasn’t doing anything so the primary care doctor switched me to Zoloft without weening me off and it sent me into this spiral of in and out of the er and inpatient where I was thrown med after med at me like celexa, cymbalta, trazadone, ambien, seroquil, klonopin, Effexor, xanex, beta blocker, etc. Eventually landed on Effexor and klonopin in 2010.  I was on the klonopin for nine years at .5 mg, got off for two years then from trying to get off Effexor and being thrown into withdrawals there I got back on klonopin for four months and it was hell on earth trying to get off after mixing klonopin and Effexor with cbd oil and having a reaction. I was then poly drugged again after that with hydroxizene, remeron, Zyprexa, Prozac, beta blocker, depakote, tradazone, another benzo as well and I can’t remember the rest, i have them written down somewhere. I am now just on Effexor 187.5 mg IR. I switched from ER to IR per my doctor at free range psychiatry in June. I have been off benzos for a year now and Zyprexa one year. I have been off hydroxyizine since March I think. I’m on severely supplements and vitamins but again just on Effexor IR tabs 187.5 mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

@SheenaI merged your new post/topic with a similar one that may partially answer your question.  Post also in your own Introduction topic.

Great if you search first, before starting new topics in S and SC.  We have so many topics now.  Help us keep them organized.

How to do a site search on survivingantidepressants.org

Read, browse this whole topic from the beginning and you may find just what you need I hope.  You'll see some related topics in the first post too.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Yep, this was my life for a couple of years post jump. I couldn't handle any stress, my skin would burn for weeks on end any time I had stress. It eventually goes away, but it takes time. 

I was a short-termer, so slightly different, but like you I think it was a mix of going off Klonopin (Benzos) and Anti-depressants, or some combination of both that caused this. 

12/1 - 0 Klonopin

On 8/11/2023 at 8:08 PM, Cat1W said:

I find your sleep experience very interesting. I did that on my own (didn't think of finding someone to help) but just by doing a forced wake up at 06:30  every day- the earliest I have to get up to make it to work. It was terrible at first and then got better as I got used to it and I slept better. Sadly, I then fell out of the habit after a holiday but despite the waking with the burning feet thing, I do still sleep better than before the early waking time. I have also learnt not to go to bed too early ie make sure I am really tired. It helps so much. But thankyou - maybe I need to go back to the discipline of the alarm clock!

100%, I feel like I've fallen out of the rhythm already. Sleep has improved greatly, but I feel like I need to go back and do another cycle of the sleep deprivation and really try to get myself on a schedule. The discipline is tough! 

12/1 - 0 Klonopin

i just started to have burning finger tips and parts of my palm , almost 3 years out from a adverse reaction , good to know this is normal for healing 

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

• 4 months later...

I guess I am kind of an outlier here. My burning sensations, which I attribute to discontinuing mirtazapine 11 months ago, are mostly on my head, eyes and behind the eyes. I also do experience burning on other areas but nothing too serious or distressing. My eyes specially are almost constantly burning bad.

It seems that, on the other hand, suffering from this after 11 months is nothing unusual.

Still, together with inner tension, activation and terror. It is exhausting. Looking forward to a 2024 of healing.

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy