LarryR: Head rushes 2 months after finishing Effexor taper

LarryR

Hi all,

I finished my Effexor taper about 2 months ago and have mostly recovered from the (heinous) withdrawal. I still get the occasional zap and headache, and my temper is terrible, but the worst symptoms are fading. However, over the last few days I've started getting major head rushes whenever I stand up, sometimes to the extent that my vision blurs for a few seconds. I'm in good shape, I eat well and work out regularly etc. so it's not a diet or fitness issue. Has anyone else experienced this symptom? I can't exactly explain why but it feels tied to the drugs and withdrawal as opposed to anything else.

Apologies if this is covered anywhere else - I did try searching the site and couldn't see anything.

Thanks,

Larry

Trazodone, citalopram, effexor survivor 

• ChessieCat changed the title to LarryR: Head rushes 2 months after finishing Effexor taper
  • Administrator

Welcome, @LarryR

How did you taper Effexor?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 6/4/2022 at 3:03 AM, LarryR said:

Hi all,

I finished my Effexor taper about 2 months ago and have mostly recovered from the (heinous) withdrawal. I still get the occasional zap and headache, and my temper is terrible, but the worst symptoms are fading. However, over the last few days I've started getting major head rushes whenever I stand up, sometimes to the extent that my vision blurs for a few seconds. I'm in good shape, I eat well and work out regularly etc. so it's not a diet or fitness issue. Has anyone else experienced this symptom? I can't exactly explain why but it feels tied to the drugs and withdrawal as opposed to anything else.

Apologies if this is covered anywhere else - I did try searching the site and couldn't see anything.

Thanks,

Larry

Hi @Larry

Sorry to hear you are going through a tough patch. You are in good hands here. 

How did you taper?

Sending you healing thoughts. 

NB

PREVIOUS

2018 Ativan 1mg Oct-Jan (CT), 2019 Effexor 75mg, Klonopin .25mg, Trazadone 75mg, Bridge to Prozac (?dose), 2020 Taper off all, 2021 Zoloft (?dose), Jan-May (CT @ Hospital), Remeron (?dose) Trazadone 75mg, Propanolol (?dose), Klonopin .50mg, Buspar (?dose),

2021 Prozac (?dose), Trazadone 75mg, Klonopin 2 times a day, 2021 August fast taper Trazadone  Prozac fast taper in August. August Lexapro 10mg

2022 January  Lexapro to 25mg, February FT to 10mg Lexapro over 6 weeks, Klonopin .25mg 2 times a day, May Effexor 35mg, June bridge from Effexor to 30mg Cymbalta. Held on Lexapro until November.

supplements  2023  Jan Probiotics stopped taking after two weeks ADR April 1k Iu Vitamin D W/ K stopped after a few days ADR. March 50mg Mag glycinate stopped after a week ADR

January 2023added an additional .25 mg Klonopin (.25 mg three times a day)

CURRENT

1/23-Present Klonopin .75mg divided into .25mg 3 times a day. 6:30am, 12:00pm, 6:30pm 

1/23Present Lexapro .101 mgpw - 8.08 mgai 8:00am

1/23-Present Estradiol .50mg 8:00am

1/23-Present 30mg Cymbalta 12:30pm

6/23 to present Holding no changes 7/4 reduced Lexapro to 7.92mg 7/31 7.84mg 8/7 7.76mg 7/14 7.60mg 10/1 7.44mg 10/28 7.36mg 2/1 7.12mg 2/14 7.04mg 3/5/24 6.88mg 3/12 6.80mg

Hi NB, I tapered a few mg at a time with the ball method, so I divided the number of balls in each pill by a half every 3 weeks approximately

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for answering Alto's question.

Please create your drug signature.  This is different from the information that you gave when you joined SA.

The drug signature appears below every post you make and allows us to see your drug history at a glance.  Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

It sounds like you tapered too fast. How tolerable or intolerable are your current symptoms?

Before further discussion, Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Altostrata, my symptoms are as described in the original post. The details of my taper are pretty irrelevant given how long its been since I completely stopped. It might have been too fast, but venlafaxine has a very short half-life so I don't think you can really make that judgement. I was just asking the community if they had experienced any symptoms similar to my own, that's all. If you didn't experience these symptoms yourself then please feel free to move on.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Larry,

As requested, we need to see dates and doses please.

What you may not realise is that Altostrata is the owner of this website and even though she may not have any "official" qualifications she actually has more knowledge about psychiatric drugs and how to get off them than a lot of the medical community has AS WELL AS first hand experience of a Paxil cold turkey which took her 11 years to fully recover from.  She has also written/been involved in writing research papers, including a very recent one:

Framer, A. (2021). What I have learnt from helping thousands of people to taper off antidepressants and other psychotropic medications. Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology. https://doi.org/10.1177/2045125321991274 (open access)

This interview is well worth listening to:

mad-in-america-surviving-antidepressants-an-interview-with-alto

SA is not only a tapering support website but aims to educate the medical community:

On 5/15/2011 at 5:22 AM, Altostrata said:

This site is also a research project. The personal stories on this site are documentation of an iatrogenic condition -- suffering caused by medical treatment -- that is almost always ignored, misdiagnosed, or denied by the medical establishment. Given the widespread prescription of antidepressants to tens of millions of people worldwide, withdrawal syndrome probably affects hundreds of thousands if not millions -- including newborns and children.

Antidepressant withdrawal syndrome can last weeks, months, or years. It can be distressing, debilitating, or even disabling. It may be adding to an increase in what is termed disabling mental illness.

With our documentation of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome, we hope to educate the medical establishment about this problem. Case studies are essential; they are evidence understood by doctors, the psychiatric industry, and government regulatory agencies. The have already informed numerous articles in major publications and scientific papers.

Our hope is, eventually, antidepressants and other psychiatric drugs will be prescribed rarely, and only in cases of extremely severe mental illness after less invasive treatments have been tried.

Please join Surviving Antidepressants in its mission to support, document, and educate about psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are experienced withdrawal symptoms from going off a drug too quickly then reinstatement of a small dose of the same drug might be an option:

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

This topic has links to tips for tapering various drugs which contain information about how to get non standard doses of the drug:

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

One Theory of Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome
What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Brain Remodelling
Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery
What is Happening in Your Brain

• Mentor
3 hours ago, LarryR said:

The details of my taper are pretty irrelevant

I think you’ll find that in order to give you help the extremely experienced mods will find the details of your taper completely relevant. If you give these details they will be in a position to help you / offer advice. They have probably seen every withdrawal symptom there is and only with full information can they help. 

Telling people who are giving up their time to help you to “move on” is not the most productive way to get the help you have asked for.

am not a medical professional. I provide information and make suggestions based on my own experience and SA guidelines. I am unable to respond to private messages. 

Mirtazepine 15mg Nov 2018 -April 2019  April - Sept 2019 Mirtazepine down to around 6mg - skipping days to taper

October 2019 - Dec 2019 unwell from failed taper including jumping about in doses 

15 December 2019 to 13 June 2021 15mg Mirtazepine 

14 June 2021 started brass monkey Slide.  
2021: 23 August 12.3mg, 28 October 11.1mg, 6 Dec 10mg

2022: 12 Feb 8.5, 25 Oct 4.5mg

2023: 16 Jan 3.6mg, 28 Sept 1.8mg

• Administrator

We have 17,000 members who have had symptoms similar to yours.