s1335: Celexa (citalopram)

s1335

Not sure if this belongs here but relating to Celexa (citalopram) I have tried many times to quit and have relapsed every time. Just recently I have tried again, but have realized another relapse which I am finding is the withdrawal symptoms.

As I have read about the length of time it might take to re grow the receptors I am thinking of just going back on the medication. Last time this happened (trying to taper) I had extreme panic attacks and depression/anxiety.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Lexapro 20mg 2001-2003 (tried to taper myself too quickly)

Back on Lexapro 40mg 2003-2006 (tried to taper...again)

On Celexa 20mg 2006-2008 (taper again)

Citalopram 40mg 2008-2012 (mid November tried to taper, things got worse)

Citalopram 20mg 2012 (late November)

Citalopram 20mg 2013 (January started to get a little better but sometime along the way stopped taking Citalopram and started losing track of everything)

Bad episode of lack of concentration and lost in thoughts, loss of sleep etc. Ended up in mental hospital for a week and was back on 20mg Citalopram and 5mg Olanzopine and 2mg Benztropine.

February 11 2013 Back on 40mg Citalopram and tapering Olanzopine to 2.5mg and Benztropine 1mg under Psychiatric care.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• s1335

• Altostrata

• tezza

• flower

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried many times to taper off of citalopram and have developed a brain fog, panic attacks, anxiety and depression.

This has happened again and I understand this is probably just withdrawal but I don't have the time or circumstances to recover and regain a normal brain. I am thinking of just going back onto the medication.

Any thoughts, suggestions or similar experiences?

Thank you.

Citalopram 20mg 2013 (January started to get a little better but sometime along the way stopped taking Citalopram and started losing track of everything)

Bad episode of lack of concentration and lost in thoughts, loss of sleep etc. Ended up in mental hospital for a week and was back on 20mg Citalopram and 5mg Olanzopine and 2mg Benztropine.

February 11 2013 Back on 40mg Citalopram and tapering Olanzopine to 2.5mg and Benztropine 1mg under Psychiatric care.

• Moderator Emeritus

First of all, I've moved your post to the Intro section which is where posts about your journey through antidepressant withdrawal go. If you continue to post, please locate your Intro and continue to post in this topic by clicking on "Add Reply" at the bottom of the page.

As for your concerns, I expect there are many of us who've considered going back on antidepressants on very bad days. I certainly have. However, knowing the long-term damage, emotional numbing, and shortened lifespan that are consequences of long-term antidepressant use has always stopped me cold.

If you'll read through some of the posts in the Intro section and also the Recovery Success Stories you'll find that tapering off, when done correctly, will not make you miserable. There are members on this forum who currently hold down jobs and take care of their families while tapering. If you insist on "tapering" rapidly, however, you will definitely feel the pain and be disabled to some extent during withdrawal.

This forum is all about getting off of antidepressants. If you choose to go this route, we'll be here to inform and support you. However, if you're looking for encouragement to stay on antidepressants, this isn't the place.

If you decide to fight the good fight, please tell us more about your antidepressant history. How long were you on Celexa and at what dose? How did you get off of it? How long has it been since you had your last dose?

Also, when you feel up to, please put your history in your signature, directions here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the post problem.

I have started my dosage back to 20 mg and hope to taper at a better rate this time around. Can someone please refer me to the best thread for a tapering schedule? Thank you.

• Administrator

Hello, s1335. Welcome to our community.

When did you last go completely off citalopram? How do you feel now that you've reinstated 20mg?

If you can stabilize (minimal withdrawal symptoms) at 20mg for a month or so, giving your nervous system time to recover, you can taper off later. Since your system has been sensitized, count on a taper of 10% or less per month.

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/300-important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum/ and

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2023-tips-for-tapering-off-celexa-citalopram/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome s1335,

I echo Alto and Jemima.

I have had many failed attempts at stopping/ too fast tapering. I think once sensitised you need to be much more careful. I consider myself very, very fortunate that i have always been able to reinstate and have my symptoms abate. It is very important not to go over the 10% every 3 - 4 weeks as the reductions can have a lag time (much the same way as the start up effects) - I think that is to do with the downstream effects they have.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Hi s...

I tapered Lexapro (similar to Celexa (citalopram) and it was the anxiety/depression that caused me the most harm.

In the Celexa taper, I am finding it easier. I can't do the slow taper others refer to. I did that with Lexapro and it took 2 years out of my life.

I drop in a larger amount with Celexa and wait a few months before doing it again. This method (so far :) ) seems to be okay. I am not suggesting you do this. This could change again with my next drop. We really never know.

If you feel that you can't do the taper right now, then don't. You don't owe anyone an explanation. It does take a toll and takes away a decent quality of life for alot of us.

If you read Strawberry's Posts on her taper (here on this site or in her blog), you may be able to follow her pattern of tapering which gives alot of people the least amount of agony.

You can taper for a period of time and then halt. Take a long break and feel better.

If you felt good at 20mgs. and think that you need to get back to that, then do so. I did that with Lexapro after my first tapering attempt. It was bad, my daughter was little, I had just gotten divorced and I needed to keep my wits about me.

You have choices. A word of caution....don't keep playing around with Celexa. Sometimes reinstating after upping and lowering doses over and over can render it ineffective.

Best Regards

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome aboard! You'll find excellent advice, information, and friendly, gentle support here at Surviving Antidepressants.org. I tapered off of Lexapro too fast last fall a year ago thanks to an ill-informed PCP (Primary Care Physician) and this site has been a godsend. I hope you find it as helpful as I have. :)

I had my last crumb of a tablet on December 14, 2011 and am just about done with withdrawal symptoms. I've actually been functioning fairly well since the end of July and I hope you find that encouraging.

You can read anyone's Intro by clicking on the link in the signature area at the bottom of posts, if a particular member piques your curiosity. (I entered a link for you. Dunno why it isn't showing up in all your posts). I found it helpful to read about others' struggles and triumphs and knowing that I wasn't alone.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Hello, s1335. Welcome to our community.

When did you last go completely off citalopram? How do you feel now that you've reinstated 20mg?

If you can stabilize (minimal withdrawal symptoms) at 20mg for a month or so, giving your nervous system time to recover, you can taper off later. Since your system has been sensitized, count on a taper of 10% or less per month.

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/300-important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum/ and

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2023-tips-for-tapering-off-celexa-citalopram/

Thank you all for the help. These are the same side effects that I experienced a couple of years ago when I did the same thing. I was feeling so great and tired if the medication ( like many others as I've seen) that I though it was not a big deal but that I'd go about it a bit slower than before.

Little did I know that I was experiencing the withdrawal symptoms as you have thankfully noted on this forum! I just thought in the past that it was because I NEEDED the medication physiologically which I am not convinced. So I kept going back on the medication.

Now I am in the same hole again. In fact my thinking is quite erratic and sorry for totally overlooking your questions. I have that symptom of disconnection from reality as others have mentioned on here. I just can't afford these symptoms right now.

I went completely off Citalopram 4 days ago, but I was alternating days and lowering doses as I saw fit :(.

I have been on Citalopram for a good 3 years on and off (40mg) so it's pretty set in my system. Before that I was on Lexapro 40mg but switched over due to cost.

Appreciate your help. I'll try the 10% taper though I am wondering if I shouldn't just get back to my original 40 mg dosage to get back to a normal state and then decrease? Would it be too much of a shock to my system?

Thank you again for your help and resources!

• Administrator

See if 20mg does the trick. No need to go all the way up if 20mg is sufficient to allay withdrawal symptoms. You'll have less to taper off.

Plan to stabilize for at least a month. Be very regular in your dosage, take it at the same time each day. Keep notes of your symptoms. Please let us know how you're doing, this is your topic to track your progress.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

And by the way I feel a little better since I reinstated the 20mg. Peggy, I have also been fortunate in the past when I've reinstated dosages to be freed of the withdrawal.

If the withdrawal was just the brain zaps I'd put up with it. But as I read on one of the links from another blog on this forum, the symptoms of anxiety and depression during the withdrawal are not like a normal persons experience in that the withdrawal brain state doesn't have the right tools to deal with the emotions..this is why is rather reinstate and then taper properly. Is that a good idea?

Thanks again for your help on the proper way of tapering Celexa (Citalopram).

Right now I am cutting the 40mg tablet in half where the score mark is for the time that I will be on the 20mg dosage. Is this ok to do?

After that would it be best to switch to the liquid? I saw the link for the weigh scale but how does that work with a solid pill? Do I need to crush it?

Thanks!

• Administrator

Cutting the pill in half for 20mg is fine for now.

When you want to taper more finely, you may wish to make a liquid. You would crush the entire 40mg tablet and make a liquid from that, or you may be able to get liquid citalopram with a prescription from the pharmacy.

• Moderator Emeritus

Right now I am cutting the 40mg tablet in half where the score mark is for the time that I will be on the 20mg dosage. Is this ok to do?

If you have a good pill cutter that will very easily do the trick and you can be quite certain you are getting the proper dosage of 20

As far as proceeding with the very slow taper, crushing and making a liquid is rather easy to do.

But it also comes in liquid form. Check here.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Thank you. I am having that deep sinking feeling in my chest and my voice is weak. Hard to gather my thoughts and feeling anxious during conversation.

How long should I try the 20mg before going back up to 40mg (which was my original dose)? I appreciate your advice. I have also began to feel quite shaky. Maybe that's just part of the adjustment phase? Thanks again!

If you have a good pill cutter that will very easily do the trick and you can be quite certain you are getting the proper dosage of 20

As far as proceeding with the very slow taper, crushing and making a liquid is rather easy to do.

But it also comes in liquid form. Check here.

Thank you for this. Could you also refer me to how to do this process?

• Administrator

Click the link under Check here.

When did that sinking feeling start?

Hard to say what you should do. It depends on how you're feeling. Keep notes.

The feeling started these past two days. I am also beginning to feel light headed and nervous.

• Administrator

What do you mean by nervous?

• Moderator Emeritus

s1335, i have found that once reinstating it would take up to 28 days to feel back to normal. Anxiety was always my worst symptom. The first few times i always went back up to my original dose. The last time though i only went a quarter of my original dose and it was still enough - it did take the 28 days though. I had some days where i felt better than others but it seems to take that long for the 'switch' to turn for me. If you can hang out on the 20mg for a couple of weeks before going higher you should have an indication of whether it will be enough.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi s1335 and welcome to the forum.

I know what you mean when you say you thought the withdrawal symptoms were just 'proof' that you need to be on the medication.

I've made several attempt to come off citalopram over the last 10 years, only to give up and reinstate because I figured my depression was coming back. I had no idea I was in withdrawal.

Give your body time to settle down on your current dose and only start the taper when you're feeling good again. There's no rush. After my last withdrawal episode I waited a whole year before considering tapering. Lucky for me I found this site.

Good luck with your journey.

Sonia

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Thank you all this has eased my mind. I will be patient on the 2mg. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

The nervous feeling is like a shaky feeling. I kind of feel like I have "butterflies" my stomach particularly in the mornings. I also feel like my head is filled with glue, though it seems to be improving.

I'll just keep the dosage consistent. So glad I found this site!

20mg rather :)

• Administrator

When do you take your dose? Do you get this shaky feeling before or after it?

I take my dose in the mornings at around 8 am. I feel somewhat shaky throughout the day. I seem to recall these symptoms in the past when I've tried to taper.

What usually happened was that I would search long and far as to what was causing this depression/anxiety not having any clue or rhyme or reason to it. Now I am so thankful to see that it has to be the withdrawal symptoms. It never made any sense before. I would blame all kinds of things or people for the symptoms I was experiencing.

Finally I would go back on my medication and sometime later things would just get better. I'd look back and think how strange the whole ordeal was.

I'm trying to remind myself of this, but I am still in a depressive/anxious haze. I feel weak and shaky and feel disconnected from others though I am continuing with work and social gatherings. Perhaps I'm still adjusting to the 20mg.

What I think happened was that after I tapered the 40mg by half each week (and every other day with 10mg eventually to ward off the brain shocks) I was doing pretty well and then after a series of some pretty stressful events my brain didn't have the proper seretonin to normally deal with what was happening. This is what led to the recent depressive/anxious funk.

Does this seem plausible? I remember having a lot of the same racing thoughts and worries the last time his happened, which probably relates to the withdrawal symptoms of not tapering slow enough. Thanks again for your thoughts and insights!

One more question was how long I should try the 20mg before increasing to 40mg if needed. Is there a normal cycle to when the medication shoul be regulated in the brain?

• Administrator

The 20mg dosage is just getting to steady state in your bloodstream now. If I were you, I'd give the 20mg a chance for another week at least.

I have been reading about other's experiences with the panic attacks in the mornings, etc. and now I can make sense out of the previous wd episode I had!

I don't have those (yet) but maybe I've reinstated my dose in time before that wave of symptoms could occur. I have been able to continue work, though my interactions with others feels like I always have a pat answer or that I'm not truly connecting with them, though I remember this to be the case before too.

I'm thankful to have found this site before it was too late! Has anyone had the slight panic in the mornings along with a sense if disconnection with the world as a result of Celexa WD?

As you've said Alto, I will continue another week on the 20 mg at a steady dose. I hope that my motivation can improve soon as I am a music composer! Plus I am traveling to see family soon too and would hate to be a zombie...thanks again for your forum!

The case before refers to when I was experiencing WD in the past.

Just a diary update that I am still experiencing anxiety in the mornings. Not quite the severe panic attacks that I had during the severe WD 2 years ago.

Still taking the 20mg steadily.

The main symptom today is being able to clearly communicate. Been feeling the butterflies again as if I am waiting to run a race or sing a solo. Quite a nervous feeling.

Just trying to remind myself that I am still adjusting to the dosage.

I am also taking vitamin D 2,000 IU each day. Would this be a problem?

Beginning to feel like I just want isolate myself. I am also worried that because I've started and stopped over the past 8 or so years that the medication might be rendered ineffective.

In the past before finding out about anti depressant WD, I would try to taper my dosages by half each week, and then after putting up with the WD for as long as I could I found myself back on the medication.

The only difference this time around is that I'm on 20mg instead of the usual 40mg. But from what I've read here I understand that it is very important to keep a stabile dosage rather than fluctuating it. Thank you again. I'm beginning to find it helpful to post these updates. If there is anything anyone else might be able to add that is much appreciated.

Hard to be patient with these symptoms! I don't feel like a normal person.

Been feeling like I am unable to make decisions and that I have to get things done right away...is this neuoro emotion?

Are these symptoms typical of WD?