Susu: New Here In Need of Help!

susu

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are going to take three doses you might want to spread them out a bit more

Please finalise your decision on what/how you are going to take your medication and then stick to it so that you can monitor the effects and stabalise your neurological system.

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• susu

• Altostrata

• Jemima

• Skyler

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

You could try taking ginger (as a tea perhaps) to deal with the nause. This, in turn, might help your appetite

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

You mentioned yesterday that you had a cold. Perhaps you are actually coming down with a virus or flu. There seem to be a lot of "bugs" going around right now. I know it isn't fair, but we can actually get "normal" illnesses like flu and colds when we're in withdrawal. :(

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

The depression is what is really bad. I don't know what to tell people now. I have been sick now for quite some time and I'm not improving much. As far as they are concerned I'm sure they think I just need to get a better attitude. My husband surely doesn't understand any of this. He has been quite patient.

I'm suppose to go back and volunteer in a week, but don't know if I'll be able to volunteer even a few hours. My moods are so unstable, generally I'm better late in the day. My life has a lot of depressing factors in it right now and that definitely doesn't help my situation. The lack of family and friends is a disadvantage too. Well, I do have a dog and cat and that pretty much accept me as I am. Thank God for that!

on SSRI's/benzo for 25 years plus, recently pull off them too suddenly by Pysc nurse

last year was switched from lexapro, zoloft, viibryd,paxil. Got sick trying to go back

on. My system is messed up and is hypersensitive. Nausea, anxiety Quit clonipin and take .5mg ativan.1xday So withdrew from klonopin and SSRI.

Off SSRI for 2 mos.

Take 50mg. trazodone for sleep along with melatonin

12/26 -liquid paxil 2mg.

12/29 1mg ativan

“I could tell you my adventures—beginning from this morning,” said Alice a little timidly; “but it’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

• Moderator Emeritus

Dalsaan, I take Levsin sometimes for spasms and I take prilosec for stomach. Recovering from stomach ulcer

Are these drugs prescribed or over-the-counter? How often do you take the Prilosec? How long have you been taking each drug?

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

The depression is what is really bad. I don't know what to tell people now. I have been sick now for quite some time and I'm not improving much. As far as they are concerned I'm sure they think I just need to get a better attitude. My husband surely doesn't understand any of this. He has been quite patient.

I tell people who are interested (you'll be surprised at how many won't ask what was wrong) that I had a severe adverse reaction to some prescription drugs that made me sick for a long time. And it's the truth. For people who just ask how I'm doing without wanting to know details, I tell them I'm not 100%, but getting better.

As for the depression, just hang in there. You've only been back on Paxil for five days and back on Ativan for not quite three days, and you did miss a dose. It takes longer than a few days to get stabilized. The fact that you're feeling somewhat better already is promising.

I'm suppose to go back and volunteer in a week, but don't know if I'll be able to volunteer even a few hours. My moods are so unstable, generally I'm better late in the day. My life has a lot of depressing factors in it right now and that definitely doesn't help my situation. The lack of family and friends is a disadvantage too. Well, I do have a dog and cat and that pretty much accept me as I am. Thank God for that!

If you can manage a few hours of volunteer work, it's wonderful for taking your mind off your troubles. I help to serve a meal in a soup kitchen once a week and we're so busy there's no time at all to dwell on myself. Plus it's a good way to make friends.

And yes, animals are especially wonderful companions at times like these.

Hang in there, and best wishes for healing in the New Year.

thx Jemima for your advice. My depression has been the absolute worst today. I can't clean my home and can barely care for myself. Boo hoo

Both stomach meds are prescription. Per Dr. I now take prilosec otc and am reducing to every other day. The levsin is prn.

I can't even tell I'm taking the Ativan. The suntheanine helps more, go figure?

God Bless you all and Have a Happy New Year.

Love Susan

on SSRI's/benzo for 25 years plus, recently pull off them too suddenly by Pysc nurse

last year was switched from lexapro, zoloft, viibryd,paxil. Got sick trying to go back

on. My system is messed up and is hypersensitive. Nausea, anxiety Quit clonipin and take .5mg ativan.1xday So withdrew from klonopin and SSRI.

Off SSRI for 2 mos.

12/26 -liquid paxil 2mg.

12/29 1mg ativan

“I could tell you my adventures—beginning from this morning,” said Alice a little timidly; “but it’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

• Moderator Emeritus

thx Jemima for your advice. My depression has been the absolute worst today. I can't clean my home and can barely care for myself. Boo hoo.

You may be feeling bad because of the missed dose of Ativan at bedtime. Please remember to take it tonight.

Both stomach meds are prescription. Per Dr. I now take prilosec otc and am reducing to every other day. The levsin is prn.

Thanks for the clear answer. It helps us get a better idea of what might be affecting your moods.

I can't even tell I'm taking the Ativan. The suntheanine helps more, go figure?

Stay the course. It may take several weeks for you stabilize. You "sound" a lot better already: calmer and more clear in your responses.

God Bless you all and Have a Happy New Year.

Love Susan

Thank you. I'll take all the blessings I can get. :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!!

Unfortunately I've spent today battling nausea. I made fresh ginger tea and it did not help. I am underweight already. I have to stop losing and try to gain. I drink a protein drink made with soy or almond milk. I also eat avocados and bananas and most everything else that's healthy. My husband tried to make me drink a milkshake today and I couldn't do it. It was nasty.

Any suggestions? Thx again Susan

Off SSRI for 2 mos.

12/26 -liquid paxil 2mg.

12/29 1mg ativan

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what to tell you about the nausea, but you might want to call the doctor who treats your ulcer and let him know that you're having a problem.

Other than that, how are you feeling? (If all you can think of right now is the nausea, ignore my question).

I like the Alice in Wonderland quote in your signature. Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass is one of my all-time favorite books. I never get tired of it.

thx for asking Jemima, I am very depressed and wonder how anyone can live with being this depressed, in bed and nonfunctional. I know I shouldn't think about medicine as being the answer, but I don't enjoy looking forward to another day of this depression. When you are this depressed and not feeling well physically things begin to look pretty hopeless. Especially when it's day after day. I really think I might need to increase an antidepressant to see if it would keep me from feeling like "what's the use of living". I know I'm trying to stablize on meds. Maybe I will get through this rough patch and be on better ground soon.

thx 4 listening.

Off SSRI for 2 mos.

12/26 -liquid paxil 2mg.

12/29 1mg ativan

• Moderator Emeritus

Give it another two weeks or so. If you're still feeling really depressed, an updose might be in order. I wish that we had some tried-and-true guidelines that fit everbody, but if you've ever tried "one size fits all" clothing, you know that people just can't be shoved into one big, general mold.

From my point of view, you're doing much better already. Your posts are a lot more clear, and you're giving straight answers to questions we ask. You seem a lot more balanced and calm.

Going through this process of getting off antidepressants is a long, long walk. Please be patient and treasure every little bit of progress.

;) Patience and remember to breathe. Thankyou Jemima for your encouragement! I think a lot of my health issues and finances increase my depression/anxiety. I also don't have insurance. Hopefully I will feel better in a couple of months and can start taking care of my other health issues.

Later, Susu

Off SSRI for 2 mos.

12/26 -liquid paxil 2mg.

12/29 1mg ativan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Susu

How much ativan have you been taking and at what time?

Dalsaan, I've been taking 25ml ativan - 8, 1, 6

My depression is really bad and I am pretty much nonfunctional. At this level of depression it is impossible for me to do anything except sit. I try to dress and do some chores, but the depression is so unbearable I end up in the bed again. I feel I am getting desperate.

Off SSRI for 2 mos.

12/26 -liquid paxil 2mg.

12/29 1mg ativan

• Moderator Emeritus

Dalsaan, I've been taking 25ml ativan - 8, 1, 6

My depression is really bad and I am pretty much nonfunctional. At this level of depression it is impossible for me to do anything except sit. I try to dress and do some chores, but the depression is so unbearable I end up in the bed again. I feel I am getting desperate.

Are you skipping the bedtime dose? That could be causing depression because you end up going without the drug for twelve or more hours, plenty of time to get inter-dose withdrawal and wake up with symptoms. It's really important to take all of your doses and take them as evenly spaced as possible.

• Moderator Emeritus

Susu, i don't have much to add that others haven't already said, except to hang in there - it will get better.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

Well, I'm at my wits end. I know it's a crapshoot, but I think I might need to increase my A/d. I'm too suicidal. I'm suppose to go for counseling at the free clinic 2morrow. I've cancelled a whole month. I'm concerned about getting there. All I know is that I can't stay at this level of depression. It is a nightmare and I can't help but to think about it. :(

Off SSRI for 2 mos.

12/26 -liquid paxil 2mg.

12/29 1mg ativan

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you skipping the bedtime dose of Ativan?

yes, I was. My depression is bad during the day. If that will help the depression I will take it. I don't think it will help my depression though. My depression is excrutiatingly bad. Could you ask Alto about my A/D. I really need help in that regards. I am not doing well at all. I can't stay like this

Off SSRI for 2 mos.

12/26 -liquid paxil 2mg.

12/29 1mg ativan

• Moderator Emeritus

Skipping doses of Ativan can cause depression or make it worse.

You are likely having withdrawal symptoms during the day because you're going without the Ativan 12 hours or more at night. This causes withdrawal symptoms to flare up. Considering that you're having problems sleeping, I would think that the bedtime Ativan dose would be important to you.

I've contacted Alto and Dalsaan for their opinions on whether or not an increase in Paxil might help, but I haven't heard back from them yet. It might help, it might not, it might make your depression and sleeplessness even worse. Reinstatement is always a gamble as are increases in dosage.

Honestly, it's nearly impossible to figure out what's causing your depression when you keep changing the Ativan dose. I really have no idea what to do at this point.

I wrote a nice reply but it got lost. Ativan never did help with sleep or calming me down. I took it to help me focus. If that makes sense. I guess I relied on clonopin to help me sleep and calm down.

I will take the night ativan and continue with the 2mg paxil.

Nausea is down and also eary morning anxiety is down.

thank you for all your help. I appreciate it very much, Jemima!

Off SSRI for 2 mos.

12/26 -liquid paxil 2mg.

12/29 1mg ativan

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better, and I hope you make it to that counseling session. Counseling really can help, much more so than drugs in the long run.

Well, I did make it for counseling at the free clinic. The first part was all about me taking the neurontin the nurse prescribed and why I was not taking it if it seemed to help.. And then the lecture about taking it because I might be better than ever on it. And I'm a like a diabetic that needs to be on drugs.

My anxiety is off the charts and I really need to be able to function. At least I got out for 2 hours.. Now severely depressed and anxious still.

I wish I had more positive news to report. I am just very low and feeling hopeless about the whole thing.

Maybe I should take more paxil and see if it helps with anxiety/depression?

Off SSRI for 2 mos.

12/26 -liquid paxil 2mg.

12/29 1mg ativan

I need help!

Off SSRI for 2 mos.

12/26 -liquid paxil 2mg.

12/29 1mg ativan

• Administrator

Susu, your depression may be a side effect of the benzodiazepines or some other medication, or an interaction of medications.

It may be made worse by changes in your medications. It may be a result of Paxil withdrawal, too.

It's impossible to tell what will resolve it.

Depression can be a side effect of Neurontin, see FDA prescribing information here http://www.drugs.com/pro/neurontin.html

Check for drug interactions here http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

If the nurse gave you Neurontin for your depression or withdrawal symptoms, it is unlikely to help. Rather than that nurse, you need to talk to a physician with specialized knowledge of psychiatric drugs -- a psychiatrist.

Even so, a psychiatrist may not understand you are having withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

It is not the neurontin I only took a few tablets 2-3 weeks ago.

Also, I am thinking of increasing my paxil to see if this helps. I know it is a crap shoot. But I need to do something ASAP. I only ocassionally take Levsin for stomach cramps. I can only figure it is paxil w/d. Should I increase in 2mg amounts? I think trying another A/D would be stupid. I also think taking the neurontin that was prescribed for me to be stupid. The paxil increase seems to be the lesser of two evils.

Thank you again, Alto, for your care, patience and guidance! Susan

Off SSRI for 2 mos.

12/26 -liquid paxil 2mg.

12/29 1mg ativan

• Administrator

It's up to you, Susu. Whatever you do, be careful and keep notes.

Check for drug interactions among any of your medications here http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

If I decide to increase the paxil, shouldn't I slowly increase it though?

Off SSRI for 2 mos.

12/26 -liquid paxil 2mg.

12/29 1mg ativan

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes if you decide to increase do it gradually then wait for a while (at least a couple of weeks) to see if it works

Another dumb move by ME. I tried to increase paxil yesterday by 2mg. and anxiety and insomnia went up. My body can't seem to handle SSRi's now at all. I will just have to accept that I will more or less have to stay home and ride this out. I will continue to cancel everything. I guess I will say I had a bad reaction to medicine and it will take months to get over. My husband doesn't understand this. None of my friends do.

How do you explain this kind of W/d to the Dr. I do see a pyschiatrist on Jan.31st. Right now I'm considered probably medically non-compliant because I haven't taken the medicine prescribed from the clinic. State and federal systems are very hard to deal with.

If i am still in withdrawals from the klonopin i took at bedtime a couple of months ago, how long will it be til the w/d from that stabilizes??

Do people really recover from this and have some kind of life again? Will I be able to smile again and have some joy? :unsure:

Thank you so much for bearing with me through this.

Off SSRI for 2 mos.

12/26 -liquid paxil 2mg.

12/29 1mg ativan

• Administrator

Tell the doctor you are suffering severe withdrawal symptoms from dropping Klonopin and Paxil. Don't be surprised if he or she doesn't understand.

Will you suffer some kind of punishment for being non-compliant?

They just frown on not complying with what they recommend. I don't think they can refuse to see me. Anyway, I will try to think positive about seeing this new Dr. He is suppose to be a lot better than the nurse I saw.

I know you think we shouldn't do supplements, but would you recommend Seriphos or Lactium,like Women's antistress by Swanson? I have heard you say that they helped. Thanks, Susan

Off SSRI for 2 mos.

12/26 -liquid paxil 2mg.

12/29 1mg ativan

• Moderator Emeritus

They just frown on not complying with what they recommend. I don't think they can refuse to see me. Anyway, I will try to think positive about seeing this new Dr. He is suppose to be a lot better than the nurse I saw.

I know you think we shouldn't do supplements, but would you recommend Seriphos or Lactium, like Women's antistress by Swanson? I have heard you say that they helped. Thanks, Susan

Your body chemistry and your nervous system are already destabilized from updosing your Paxil. Adding anything else will probably just make things worse.

Well, I am keeping the paxil at 2mg, I had awful night, high anxiety!

GOOD NEWS ---- I am having I guess what is called a window cause for more than an hour I have not felt w/d pains, and can breathe and think.. I got out of bed and walked on treadmill 15 min. I emptied the dishwasher and listened to music and enjoyed it. WOW WOW This just came out of nowhere. I don't think that updose last night could have done this. Do you, Jemima?

I have found that when I went to the counselor, I got extremely stressed and it affected the whole day. I'm just going to be careful how long I expose myself to situations that stress me which is basically everything outside my house.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying this break no matter how short it is. It will give me hope that I can get better.

:)

Off SSRI for 2 mos.

12/26 -liquid paxil 2mg.

12/29 1mg ativan

• Administrator

Susu, can you use search? If you put Lactium in the search box at the upper right of the page, you will see discussions about this, and many other supplements you might be interested in.