Fizz: Prozac cold turkey withdrawal

Fizz

Thanks a million Iggy! So grateful for that, have just received your pm. How was your day today, I hope you weren't going through it too much. Sending lots of hugs. Xxxxxxx

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fizz

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• basildev

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for asking, very bad all day with a tiny bit of mild respite now, bad akathisia, oh its bad.

let us know everything you find out about the anesthetic. explore every avenue, is it certain now that you need the hysterectomy? 

damaged by citalopram - severe suffering for 3 years now...no improvement

akathsiia, pgad, dp/dr, terror, and so SO many more daily

severly disabled and lost everything

Wish I could help you Iggy, make you feel better. Glad you've had a bit of respite anyhow. We have to take that sort of thing when we can get it. Will post as to how I get on, the op is looking likely, this bleeding is all the time since March. I just keep praying to God for a miracle that it might just sort itself out. How happy and relieved I would be. Miracles do happen, maybe for you and I. Thinking of you. Hugs. Xxxxxxxxx

Hi there Fizz,

I have been reading your posts with interest as I have been having some similar bleeding problems, although not as heavy as you or for as long.  I have had 3 weeks straight of what I'd describe as moderate but consistent bleeding and it doesn't appear to be letting up any time soon.  I have a doctor's appointment in July to evaluate what might be going on.  My body has been quite "out of whack" the last few months with withdrawal symptoms so wonder if my hormones are just all screwed up.  I was wondering if you have had any negative effects from the progesterone you are taking?  I am assuming that is going to be offered to me as well to help stop this bleeding but am scared it might make my depression symptoms worse.  What has your experience been so far with this?  I am really sorry you are going through this awful bleeding - as I said mine has not been for as long nor has it been as heavy but very annoying nonetheless so I can only imagine what you are going through.  You seem to be handling it really well, Fizz and I hope you get some relief soon!

Michele

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

Wantrelief, I can't believe you're having this aswell, though on a lesser scale, what the hell is going on? So sorry for you cos it's horrible. Yet my hormones were tested, don't look out or menopausal. Have been on Norethisterone 3 x15mg daily for a couple of weeks now. Will have to try and reduce next week, see if it's a disaster. Initially I felt rough, hot, sweaty, not as bad after a few days. Seems to make me more exhausted. It's take them or bleed heavily and be back in hospital. Oh, my hair is coming out, hoping you won't get this if you do have them! Thinking of you, keep posting, I pray for you to feel better. How are you this morning? Hugs and hugs. Xxxxxxx

Thanks for the info.  I know - this bleeding thing is so weird.  It sounds like they found something on your ultrasound that would explain your bleeding (adenomyosis?)  I haven't had any tests yet but am certain will be going through the same as you - biopsy, ultrasound, etc.  You seem to be doing really well despite everything you've been through with WD and now this endless bleeding.  I hope the reduction goes smoothly - please keep us posted.  Hang in there, Fizz!

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

Well, doing as well as I can, trying to keep a sense of normality! My eldest kid did point out the bald patch on the top of my head just now, thanks a lot! You may even be offered the Mirena coil, I don't know. Found this hard to tolerate for the first couple of weeks, had fever, chills and nausea, but it's still in man! Lets all keep riding this out, ay. Hugs, healing ones. Xxxxxxxxx

We'll call that a positive. You've been so strong!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I agree with Meimei - your strength is inspiring and you can even maintain a sense of humor through all of this! 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, tried to cut the progesterone down to one 5mg tablet a day, from three. A bloody disaster, literally! Started losing lots of blood again, so have started to increase again this morning. Hope and pray that they work again and start slowing it down. Even if I can get through the kids summer holiday on maybe 2 a day, they finish school next week. Hysterectomy is looking more likely than ever, will speak to my doc about the perils of staying on this med too long. Plus, the falling hair problem is real bad, have just been looking online to order a wig, cos it doesn't look like it's gonna stop coming out! One thing after another ay. Hugs. Xxxxxx

did your bleeding slow down Fizz? sorry you keep getting one problem after another... i really hope you will get a break soon...

hugs and healing thoughts to you...

Abir

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

Thanks abir, still bleeding quite bad. Have gone back on full strength for the Progesterone tablets, hopefully they'll help again! Sorry for being a bit graphic, but first thing in the morning when I need a poo, the bleeding is worse! This makes me thing that maybe one of the doctors is right, she said the uterus is well enlarged and up against the bowel. (Hope you're not reading and having your breakfast! ). Hoping it will slow enough today to get the kids down to the beach. Have hosp apptment on Weds when I can tell them everything anyhow. It's just not right to bleed since before Easter, ay. Hope everyone gets through their day okay. Hugs. Xxxxxxxxx

yes, hopefully they will help again... loosing so much blood must be making your body so weak... is your doctor always watching your iron, b12 levels and whatever other minerals/vitamins are needed to replenish your blood?

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:

• Moderator Emeritus

Fizz,

you poor thing! I'm so sorry you're still suffering.

Sending healing hugs your way xx

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Thank you abir and basildev! The tablets do seem to be helping again! Will see what the outcome of the hospital apptment is tomorrow. I would happily stay on these tablets to avoid surgery, but I don't think this will be recommended. Okay they make you sweat like mad, even more tired and possibly bald, still, to avoid the knife! Am getting regular blood checks, still taking iron but supplementing vitamins heightens my symptoms unfortunately. Lets keep going for it. Hugs. Xxxxxxxx

• 1 month later...

how are you doing Fizz??

reinstating AD:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, haven't been on for a while cos I was making it through the summer hols with the kids, didn't do too badly. Still on the Norethisterone, when I try to cut down bleeding starts again unfortunately. Another hosp apptment next week. They are pushing for an endometrial ablation with gen anaesthetic. Going to tell them that I'd rather die from taking the Progesterone 15mg than go through that, see what they say. Had a reaction to an over the counter sinus rinse kit the other day so I know how sensitive I am. It was a powder of sodium chloride and sodium bicarbonate that you mixed with water and squirted up your nose. Straight away I had such a rev of symptoms, vibrating, spaced out, anxiety, etc. I do not want any procedure done, the slightest little thing sets me off. However I need to have teeth scaled and cleaned next Sat, dreading it cos I need numbing injections, have asked for the ones they use if you're pregnant. Been struggling along basically, average 3 to 4 hours sleep. Going to order matt samets book now, want to read about his recovery. Hugs. Xxxxxxxxxx

A wave hit on Saturday night. I'm finding that anxiety, inner vibrations, exhaustion, low mood, DR, etc, are all worse. Disappointing again when things were levelling out a bit. Tomorrow I shall insist I stay on the Progesterone, have managed to cut down to about 3mg, three times a day. Going any lower means bleeding. I could no way face an ablation or hysterectomy, I'm too sensitized and afraid. Desperate to ask this question, will healing still be able to take place whilst I'm on the Progesterone? I'm praying that it will. Hugs to everyone. Xxxxxxxx

• Administrator

Stabilizing is the key to healing your nervous system. If you can take that progesterone regimen consistently, that will help.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Alto! I will insist on continuing the hormones when I go this afternoon. It's definitely damage limitation at the moment and I couldn't handle any sort of hospital procedure. I had an awful evening last night. I was trying to use a freeze treatment on the two painful verrucas on my left foot. The contents of the can poured onto my legs and feet! I tried to wash it off straight away but the numbness and tingling persisted all night. It has worn off a little this morning. However it sent me into a real panic, what a disaster. I'm hoping it will wear off cos it's really worrying me. I am now going to cancel the dentist appointments for cleaning and a small filling. Definitely want to leave well alone and not have anything done. So pleased for a reply, didn't think I was going to get one! Sending hugs. Xxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, my birthday today! Feel rough and exhausted, will get out and just make the best of it, resting in between. This time next year hoping for much more improvement ay! No celebratory drinks, just orange juice for me and a banana instead of cake! Xxxxxxxxxxx

Happy birthday..... :unsure:

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Thank you Alex! I did feel a bit conspicuous when we went for a cup of tea this afternoon and I had to lie against the chair with my eyes shut! What the hell, I just don't care what other people think, the fatigue just slams you and you've got to rest. Looking forward to feeling better next birthday. Xxxxxxxx

• 3 months later...

This morning I am horrified, outraged, have to vent. Let me explain. I'm at the end of my third year protracted after 20 years Prozac then a c/t. (The doctor said I didn't need it, no advice on weaning or withdrawal). Still symptomatic with constant exhaustion, inner vibrations, very little sleep, anxiety, hypersensitive to meds and foods. Struggling through yet looking forward to Xmas with partner and 3 very excited kids! Things are improving very slowly for me as for many others. Okay, I have just received a letter in the post. My lovely little nine year old boy is quiet and shy, has some difficulty concentrating at school and following instructions. Other than that he's a fantastic normal child. He's had two assessments to see if there were ways we could help at home, memory games, etc. Now, this letter this morning is for an appointment at the Paedeatric Medicine Clinic, to discuss what medications are on offer. He's nine. I am speechless, shocked, so angry. What do others think? This is criminal, what is going on? I am so angry I am seething. Even if I hadn't been going through this withdrawal experience I would be outraged. Lost for words on this one. Please give me your opinions. Xxxxxxx

explore every option you have before meds, i was put on at 12-13 and i regret not having a say or being able to learn about these things before deciding to go on. sorry to interrupt but could you explain what your adverse reaction was when reinstating? 

2000-2001 10mg Paxil
2001-2012 75mg effexor
2012-2013 37.5mg effexor
c/t effexor early oct, prozac for 10mg 7-8 days, off all meds until reinstating effexor 37.5mg nov 12th

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear Fizz,

I read your incredible story today! It's amazing what you've survived. What happened with the bleeding??? Hope you are better now.

Regarding your son, it just confirms what we know all to well: western medcine has turned into pharma retail outlets.

I wouldn't fret about it. just disregard it although they deserve to hear a piece of your much more informed mind than theirs.

We all go through some hicupps while growing up but pharma again doesn't want to miss an opportunity to cash in on what is natural albeit painful part of being human.

Continuing love and support you're giving to your son is the best medicine. At the age of 9 any other 'therapy' might be too intrusive. Maybe something is stressing him in his environment? I'm very reluctant to say this but it can't have been easy for him to see his mom suffer although you did more than possible not to show it.

Maybe just talking things through with him. As you get better,he will to. Maybe he will always be on the sensitive side but the world needs us,the sensitive kind as well ;)

lots of love,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Now, this letter this morning is for an appointment at the Paedeatric Medicine Clinic, to discuss what medications are on offer. He's nine. I am speechless, shocked, so angry. What do others think? This is criminal, what is going on? I am so angry I am seething. Even if I hadn't been going through this withdrawal experience I would be outraged. Lost for words on this one. Please give me your opinions. Xxxxxxx

Hi Fizz,

Here is my opinion.  This is what I would do.  Explore with your son, and perhaps a good child psychologist if there is anything which may be causing the problem, past trauma, current worries, unhelpful ways of thinking about things etc.

Then if there is nothing significant there, I would just accept that this is his personality and help him learn how to make 'the world' work best for who he is by helping him to discover the kinds of things he enjoys and is naturally good at.  Maybe he is more suited to a career path which doesn't require intense concentration and following someone else's instructions. But realistically, he is nine years old, all of his skills are going to improve with time and practice.

Maybe something like taking up a martial art class would help in a way he would enjoy, those are supposed to be good for building up concentration skills along with self confidence.

With what I now know about these brain changing drugs, I would never give them to my child, unless it was a matter of life at risk.  I don't know what the laws are there, if you can be forced to medicate your child, if this is what you are asking, perhaps someone else can advise you.

Petu

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for your replies, sorry that I've not posted in a while but have been struggling with all the usual stuff to do for and with the kids, etc. Yes, I will be asking lots of questions at my sons apptment, I'm guessing that it is just to explore options, discuss behaviour. Both myself and partner see no reason for medicating. Xxxxx

Help! A separate post. This week has seen the worst wave for ages, it grew and grew. The last few nights have felt almost back to acute with akathisia, panic, tripping, pain, horrific anxiety, palpitations, muscle twitching, skin crawling and the rest, plus hardly any sleep. What have I done differently or is it a bad wave? Two things, i ate alot of natural yogurt and raw carrot, trying to be healthy. Then I had a gynae apptment where I was advised to cut back on the progesterone (norethisterone 5mg) I've been taking since last June, to see if the Mirena coil is working and stopping the massive bleeding problem I have had. So I was on just over half a 5 mg tablet, 3 times a day and have cut to a half, 3 times a day. Would this be whats doing it? Yet I've cut before from one whole tablet, 3 daily, down to half in a short space, weeks, had no problem apart from the bleeding returning so I had to go back up to 3/4. There was no worsening of symptoms. Incidentally, at the moment even the slightest bleeding overrides my nervous system so I feel like death if it happens, with mega panic, can't function. Thus I've been staying on these tablets, just had spotting now and again. Fatigue has been worse on them but it was very bad anyway. Other than that I seemed to be fairly stable until now. Asking for help please, I've just been cutting with a normal knife too, I'm clueless about tapering. Could the Prog be causing this awful setback? Also I'm very confused, after a horrific panic ridden night, feeling like in early withdrawal, I had a really good day. Went out with a friend and we didn't stop laughing. Though the anxiety, vibrating, electric feeling in back of neck etc was all still there. So sorry I haven't been posting words of encouragement to others and now I'm asking for help. Hugs to everyone. Xxxxxxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like the progesterone cut was too much. Progesterone has a strong effect on the nervous system and neurotransmitters. 

I would recommend:

Getting a scale so you can measure your doses more accurately.

Going back to the amount you were taking before, stabilizing, and then going with a smaller reduction (for example, reduce only one of your three doses per day, not all three) and see what happens.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks so much Rhi, can you get the scales online? Would it be better to fractionally reduce all 3 daily doses by same amount, to maintain stability. So worried about having to stay on the Prog, say if bleeding starts again, I know it works on GABA receptors. Scared I won't heal on it. Oh well. We will all keep on going ay. Xxxxxxx

Help again! I've been looking online, eBay, for scales or pill cutters. Haven't a clue about this, some of the digital ones say they go from 0.01g but are for jewellery and herb. What? The pill cutters just seem to halve a tablet so it's easier to swallow. What do people use, please can I have some advice. Thanks everyone. Xxxxxxxxxx

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Alto. In a really bad way at the moment, things have been getting worse. Another all nighter last night. No way could I sleep with the adrenaline, palpitations, twitching, jerking and continuous looping song from kids tv in my head. So I lay awake all night. Back on the amount of Progesterone I was on before. I think it is making me very ill. Read that after 8 months you can start to feel terrible on it. But no way can I tolerate the bleeding and pain I had when I cut down. A surgical procedure would finish me off, I'm so sick and exhausted. Also, I have every single symptom of ME, down to the last one. Reckon I have ME and a damaged nervous system both. Going to doctors at lunchtime. I would appreciate ANY words of encouragement, feel like back in acute at the moment. Virtual hugs. Xxxxxxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fizz,

I'm sorry you are feeling bad again, sleepless nights are awful and make everything else so much worse.  I couldn't tolerate progesterone, I needed it as part of HRT, but being in withdrawal makes me sensitive to everything.

I hope your doctors appointment went well.  Do let us know.

Hugs

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes