JaneCleaver: Off klonopin, on zoloft

JaneCleaver

I was taken off klonopin while hospitalized in July of this year. July 19th to be exact, cold turkey. I had been on klonopin and before that ativan for 30 years. It was prescribed for anxiety disorder. While hospitalized. I was put on 200 mg. of zoloft. I did not know at the time that zoloft also has a withdrawal syndrome. Now I am faced with yet another withdrawal to go through. I'm wondering if, since I've only been on it a couple months, if it would be easier to taper off now then later, when my body is used to it.

Edited by tezza
Added member name to title

200mgs of Zoloft? That is highest dose. I can not imagine being put on that high. Did they even give you a starting dose? Someone will be along to help you taper. Best of luck!

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

2.1 years off of medication. 

"If I walk away, don't hate me. I've got to see where the pain will take me.

I found no angels...I found myself."

• Administrator

Welcome, JaneC.

Here's our topic for tapering Zoloft http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

Although you've been on it for only a couple of months -- at an excessive dosage -- it's impossible to predict if you can taper quickly off it. If I were you, I'd start with at 10% decrease and see how it goes. If it's easy, you might be able to make a reduction faster. A lot of people find they can get about half-way down and then need to slow down the taper.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.