Altostrata

☼ About Altostrata -- withdrawal syndrome since 2004

SolarPlexus

Hello @Altostrata I'm new to this site and just read your post. Thank you so much for your compassion and efforts to expose the corruption of the psychopharmaceutical industry that is wreaking havoc on our lives. Thank you so much for this forum which is a lifeline for so many of us. You mention in your post that in late 2007 you found a psychiatrist in San Francisco who treats withdrawal syndrome and that he aided in your recovery. Can you please tell me the name of the doctor or any others you could recommend? Thank you so much in advance 🙏 

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Summer 2018: tapered down by 2.5 mg every few weeks

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.   

Felisbela
On 2/12/2020 at 12:41 PM, SolarPlexus said:

Hello @Altostrata I'm new to this site and just read your post. Thank you so much for your compassion and efforts to expose the corruption of the psychopharmaceutical industry that is wreaking havoc on our lives. Thank you so much for this forum which is a lifeline for so many of us. You mention in your post that in late 2007 you found a psychiatrist in San Francisco who treats withdrawal syndrome and that he aided in your recovery. Can you please tell me the name of the doctor or any others you could recommend? Thank you so much in advance 🙏 

Well done Altostrata, for introducing your website for people who are suffering from withdrawals symptoms, from those evil drugs and for giving hope to others, thank you, God bless you 🙏

• 13th of August 2019 started to take 20 mg citalopram
  • 😀24th of August 2019 down to 10mg stopped citalopram altogether on the 30th of August 2019

Short term citalopram

MollyMac

Gosh, that is moving. Thank you for sharing and putting a hand out to lift others to safety. 

On Cymbalta for 10 years after PND.  Original dose of 60mg was far too high.  Tapered down over years. 

Finally off October 2018

150mg Prolonged Release Wellbutrin for 3.5 years till now. 

Starting tapering journey off Wellbutrin May 2020. Beginning by cutting Prolonged release tablet into 4 quarters to take at different times in the day.  Relieved to be finally doing this, but nervous! 

In Ireland there is ZERO knowledge on how to taper off Wellbutrin. Doctors provide no advice except to alternate days. 

Gussy

Just watched the clip. Great to be able to put a face to The Mighty Altostrata. I share lots of wd stuff on my own f.b page. Would you mind if I shared this? I've never heard of brain zaps being thought of as similar to epilepsy. I know you're a smart cookie so I think I might be kind of stupid for asking this but I must ask anyway. Are you saying brain zaps are like epilepsy from a very knowledgeable standpoint? I found it really interesting. Also, what you said about being sensitive to other drugs I must agree with. At the dentist a few years ago I was meant to have 4 shots of anaesthetic for what I was having done and had to abort after 1. I was still in withdrawal pretty well and it just made tears flood from my eyes and brought my emotions back to the worst of it for some time, it took me about 15 minutes to recover from that anaesthetic. Luckily I could do what I had to do at the dentist without the rest.

Gussy

On effexor for at least 11 years. Last few years going through ivf treatment dose has ranged from 150-200mg. Mainly 150 though. Tapered from about 175mg mid jan 2017 to zero mid april 2017. 2&1/2 months of straight hell. Getting there now though.

ChessieCat
38 minutes ago, Gussy said:

I've never heard of brain zaps being thought of as similar to epilepsy.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-superhuman-mind/201710/what-causes-brain-zaps

Being very patient.  I'll get there - slowly.  ETA mid 2021

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 17 Oct 2020:  Pristiq 0.56 mg (compounded + liquid)

My tapering program

My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

madmert9

I watched your video.You're a strong and brave woman.It's great to know that there are some people like you in this doomed planet.I couldn't catch the train 'cause it was too late for me when i realized that i was dealing with withdrawal.But I'm sure that this website will be helpful for people who are suffering from this problem.And I hope I will be healed one day.

2012 - 2016

Sertraline (50 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (After CT I had my first mania attack.)

2016 - 2017

Sertraline (50 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (After CT I had my second mania attack.)

October 2017 - January 2018

Sertraline (50 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (After CT I had a movement problem)

March 2018 - April 2018

Bupropion (150 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (My movement problems were resolved but I became angrier than usual while I was using them)

April 2018 - July 2018

Prozac (20 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (After I CT'ed because of different problems which were related to my vision and finger jerks my movement problem came back.)

September 2020 - ...

I'm on Sertraline (50 mg) + Aripiprazole (2.5 mg).

arbor

Dear Altostrata, The support of SA has given me the heart and will to keep going in the face of SSRI withdrawal.  Dramatic as it sounds, I owe you my sanity and belief in humanity.  Even though I was late in finding SA, thanks to you, I ultimately didn't have to go through this alone.  I hope that you feel your own needs are addressed, even as you have addressed so incredibly much for all who visit SA.  I am in awe of what you have given.  Thank you.

And more thanks,

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 

SolarPlexus
On 9/20/2020 at 8:31 PM, arbor said:

Dear Altostrata, The support of SA has given me the heart and will to keep going in the face of SSRI withdrawal.  Dramatic as it sounds, I owe you my sanity and belief in humanity.  Even though I was late in finding SA, thanks to you, I ultimately didn't have to go through this alone.  I hope that you feel your own needs are addressed, even as you have addressed so incredibly much for all who visit SA.  I am in awe of what you have given.  Thank you.

And more thanks,

Arbor

I agree with you Arbor. Altostrata is a saint. This website has literally saved my life. I'm still in withdrawal and without this website I wouldn't have had the wisdom and strength to keep holding on. Thank you Altostrata for your incredible nobility. 

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Summer 2018: tapered down by 2.5 mg every few weeks

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.   

MollyMac

Agreed. I wish this site and Alto and the kind others who helped me could get some funding. I don't have the words to say how grateful I am to Alto (and Manymoredays) for coming to my aid, for making me feel heard, and cared about, but mainly - for GIVING THE RIGHT ADVICE! Huge appreciation and respect to you. xxx

On Cymbalta for 10 years after PND.  Original dose of 60mg was far too high.  Tapered down over years. 

Finally off October 2018

150mg Prolonged Release Wellbutrin for 3.5 years till now. 

Starting tapering journey off Wellbutrin May 2020. Beginning by cutting Prolonged release tablet into 4 quarters to take at different times in the day.  Relieved to be finally doing this, but nervous! 

In Ireland there is ZERO knowledge on how to taper off Wellbutrin. Doctors provide no advice except to alternate days. 

purple

Yes, many many thanks to Alto and the moderators and this community too! Really glad I found my way here.

October 2017 - zoloft/sertraline 25mg, switched to lexapro/escitalopram 10mg

April 2018 - tapered off escitalopram over ~1mo

October 2018 - a few days of super new antidepressant (trintellix)

November 2018 - back on escitalopram, fast increase from 10mg to 20mg

January 2020 - tapered off escitalopram over ~2-3 mo

8/27/2020 - back on escitalopram 10mg 😩

9/18/2020 - escitalopram 5mg for 3 days

9/22/2020 - holding on escitalopram 10mg

ChessieCat

Altostrata's PSSD recovery

Posted in the PSSD Post-SSRI topic:

23 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Spruce, I think it's obvious that my recovery from PSSD was gradual, becoming ever closer to normal over 9 years. As I'm menopausal, it's not like it was when I started Paxil about 20 years ago now.

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 17 Oct 2020:  Pristiq 0.56 mg (compounded + liquid)

My tapering program

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

Altostrata
22 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

You know, Spruce, you don't suddenly snap back from any post-acute withdrawal symptoms. Like other symptoms, my recovery from PSSD was gradual. At about 4 years, genital anesthesia had dissipated and I had weak orgasms. I could have enjoyed a sexual relationship then, except I had much worse ongoing problems from PAWS. Sexual sensation improved over the next 5 years, as did other PAWS symptoms. Meanwhile, I kept getting older. At what point would you say I recovered from PSSD?

Please note that while I was recovering from PSSD, I did not have it in my head that it was permanent. I presumed it would change, like all my other PAWS symptoms.

If you look in the Introductions section for the PSSD tag, you will see a number of people who have recovered from that and from PGAD. It would be interesting to synthesize the arc of recovery from these cases.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

ChessieCat

Altostrata's depersonalization and  PSSD recovery

On 2/9/2014 at 6:12 AM, Altostrata said:

Recovery from withdrawal syndrome is so gradual and so unlike healing from anything else we're used to. Symptoms come in waves, change, and mutate into other symptoms.

This is confusing and discouraging. It seems we're going nowhere.

Yet, often when you look back on where you were 6 months ago, you can see there's been progress in healing. (Reading your Intro topic when you're discouraged can remind you of this.)

For example, I had intense depersonalization for several years. Early on, there were a few occasions where I did not even recognize the street where I lived for decades. One of these happened while I was driving. It was terrifying. But it did pass in a few minutes.

Gradually, over time, the sense of depersonalization gradually dissipated, like dark clouds getting lighter and lighter. Then, there was the day when I realized I felt fully present! What a great feeling that was.

Something similar happened with post-SSRI sexual dysfunction (PSSD). AT first, I felt complete genital anesthesia. In the first year, feeling gradually came back. Over the following years, sexual response gradually came back. Orgasm was absent, then faint, then intermittent. Now it's restored to close to normal, and libido is present (though not like it was; I'm menopausal).

There were many other symptoms that faded in the same way.

Edited by ChessieCat

My tapering program