mtnbkr

Flu shots and other vaccines

Light

I know someone a former member in the forum got hit by a vacciciene while she was in the middle of tapering. You are out for 11 yrs so it's very different I would hope. Have you had experience taking any other medications lately such as antibiotic, pain killer, vitamin etc? If so any reaction to those?

I typically don't take medications but have to avoid all meds that effect serotonin as they trigger severe serotonin syndrome-like symptoms. I have the same issue with antihistamines. There are a couple of foods believe it or not that do the same thing and i had a severe reaction that lasted two months this past summer. I've done fine with a few antibiotics but wouldn't touch fluroquinolones under any circumstances. NSAIDS neither help or hurt. I do have some sensitivities to some vitamins and exercise.

Light

Hi Light,

I have a very sensitive nervous system but when I was tapering, I had the same vaccine and didn't have any problems.  On the other hand, when I had conscious sedation in March for a tooth extraction, the hand in which the solution went into mysteriously shriveled up before the problem cleared up after two weeks.    And I had finished my taper in 2010.   So who knows?

How serious is the finger cut?   Did you need stitches?  If the cut was quite deep and you haven't had strange reactions to other substances, I might go ahead with it.

However, take your time in making a decision and don't feel pressured.  It is your body.

CS

The cut was deep enough that I couldn't stop the bleeding but no stitches were needed just a steristrip at urgent care. The glass was clean, right out of the dishwasher and I wrapped the finger in a clean towel before finding gauze.

There are about 30 cases of tetanus in the US each year and a significant portion of those are diabetic, IV drug users or older than me so the odds are quite low. In a study looking at cases over an 8 year period 24% of those had the full series of shots and still developed tetanus. Also, there is 100% chance that my damaged hypersensitive nervous system would be exposed to neurotoxins not to mention reactions to the vaccine itself.  So for now I am going to skip the shot. I may reconsider in the future if my CNS ever stabilizes. Thanks everyone for your input. 

Altostrata

I have never had any problems with vaccinations, other than a sore bump on the arm.

JanCarol

Kelly Brogan is not too keen on vaccines:

http://kellybroganmd.com/vaccines-fit-paleo-lifestyle/

she links to this:

https://leviquackenboss.wordpress.com/2015/01/03/there-is-no-anti-vaccination-movement/

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2013/11/27/a-shot-never-worth-taking-the-flu-vaccine-by-kelly-brogan-md/

Chris Kresser isn't pro vaccine, either.

These are 2 medical practitioners I respect.

I know that it is confusing, there is all the fuss about "anti-vaxxers" and how crazy they are but the fact is, if you are harmed by a vaccine, you cannot go to Civil Action Lawsuit, you must apply to a Special Vaccines Court (think $$$$$) and maybe you will get heard.  If you get heard, you might get a settlement.  The fact is, the large corporations are on the side of the vaccines.  

Maybe I'm a kooky anti-vaxxer, but if I were requested by my doctor, to get a set of vaccines, I would research how badly I needed them, and weigh risk v. reward.  I had vaccines to go into Thailand, I felt the risk was acceptable for that,   Like Alto, I only got a bump on the arm. (as far as I know)

I know that the information available is confusing, people on both sides of the issue are yelling and emotional, and it's kind of like diet - nobody agrees on what is right.  But I cannot believe that on the one side, Pharma companies are manufacturing and marketing all these harmful drugs, and on the other side, they are completely altruistic when it comes to vaccines.

I had a tetanus shot for a garden accident (rusty nail or fence, I think), before I started tapering.  I was sore for a few days.  I have seen articles that question the necessity of a tetanus shot, but cannot put my finger on them now, nor do I remember whether it was "bro-science" or something more valid.  I do know - I have never heard of anyone dying from tetanus, and perhaps that is due to the vaccines.

I do question the need for a diptheria & pertussis vaccine in addition to the tetanus one.  If you have a cut, why do you need a whooping cough booster vaccine?  That just doesn't make sense to me.  The whooping cough vaccine, in particular, is more problematic, and there are many claims that it is increasing cases of whooping cough in the vulnerable.  http://www.abc.net.au/health/thepulse/stories/2012/08/14/3567495.htm

I'm sorry, I don't have answers. Like all of these medical things, it's up to you to decide how much you will submit to, and weigh the risks against the benefits.  I'm hoping that I brought up some issues for you to explore.

Light

Yes, it's a confusing topic. You can find support for any viewpoint these days. I feel comfortable with my decision based on my rationale above. It doesn't make sense to me to ingest neurotoxins and a vaccine that is known to (rarely) cause serious neuro issues when I already have neuro issues. Not to mention all of my hypersensitivities.  I used to work in a neuropsych clinic where people where we saw people who had been seriously harmed. 

mollyminx

TDAP is fine. I had it last year for work, no side effects at all. The tiny amount of preservatives in it is basically harmless, anyone who tells you otherwise probably had a psychosomatic reaction, which is very common among those of us with high levels of anxiety, or they had a reaction to something else and are incorrectly attributing it to the TDAP. Truly negative side effects are extremely rare (read: <1 in 100,000 people). In any case, I'd take the tiny risk of an adverse reaction over the much larger risk of tetanus, which is quite nasty.

JanCarol

Topics merged:  "Issues With Vaccinations" started by Light.

carefulprayerful

I had a wave of symptoms starting about an hour after getting the flu shot.  The symptoms were mild and lasted a couple days.

ShiningLight

Had 4 strain flu shot today. Not even a hot flash in response. HF is my usual symptom of chemical hypersensitivity.

drugged

I had my flu shot this morning.  My arm is very sore and I have some flu-like symptoms.

I get the flu vaccine most every year.  I usually have a pretty sore arm and sometimes mild flu-like symptoms. Being as isolated as I am I could probably, for myself, skip the flu vaccine but what about other people I might encounter?  The last time I did get influenza (a year I missed the vaccine) I ended up with pneumonia and torn cartilage between a couple of ribs and my breastbone.  

I'll be somewhat paranoid about any and all drugs for the rest of my life most likely. Vaccines are a different creature all together IMHO.