SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Sudden fear, terror, panic, anxiety, or sensory overload from withdrawal

squirrel

I just read this in a brochure of a Marriage and Family Therapist and found it interesting:

"Anxiety is a mood condition that occurs without an identifiable triggering stimulus. As such, it is distinguished from fear, which occurs in the presence of an observed threat. Additionally, fear is related to the specific behaviors of escape and avoidance, whereas anxiety is the result of threats that are perceived to be uncontrollable or unavoidable."

Just sharing...not implying that it is accurate or not.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

This speaks volumes

What medication do I take for anxiety?

Sunday, January 27th, 2008

This is a question I get asked a lot. Anyone who knows me and my views will know I am not a fan of them. Not just because I believe recovery comes from within, but also the wrong medication is given to sufferers. I know of around 30 different medications handed out for anxiety. This is because people can get wrongly diagnosed and also because the patient comes back and tells them it is not helping, so they shift them on to something else. No other condition has so many different medications to treat it, maybe the answer lies away from tablets then!

I was given seroxat to treat my anxiety, which is mainly an anti depressant. Did it make me feel better? No, I wanted answers to what was wrong with me, that would have helped far better. I got a lot of side effects and decided to come off them. I was also handed out beta blockers, these were suppose to slow my heart rate down. Again I never mentioned my heart raced, it rarely did, I suffered with chronic anxiety and this did nothing to help. Again I decided to come off them and find my own answers, I just felt until I had some answers to the way I felt, medication was never going to be the answer.

I had someone last week say they went to the doctors and explained their symptoms, the reply was to just stare at them and hand out some tablets. This is exactly what I went through. The doctor just looked confused, if he did not know then it must be serious. Going back to the lady who went to see the doctor, back she went and stated the tablets were not helping at all. His answer was to double the dosage, again they did not help and she felt more bewildered than ever, falsely believing that she was the only one in the world to feel like this. She got in touch with me after reading my book and said it helped far more then any medication. An explanation to how we are feeling always does, it takes so much fear and worry out of the equation, the very thing that keeps anxiety and panic alive.

The only time I would see a place for medication for anxiety would be that the sufferer finds something that takes the edge of the way they feel and are given the correct advice along side it. Medication without an explanation is just a crutch. I never wanted a crutch or something that could bring other problems, I wanted to come through naturally.

I am not a doctor and don’t claim to be. Some people do find a little relief with medication, but far more I come across don’t. That is always a personal choice. My advice though is always to educate yourself, knowledge is always power with anxiety. It is the very thing that got me home and not some tablet.

The main reason for this post is that it pains me to read emails asking what medication they should try, some have been on medication for many years and have not found any peace, swapping and changing every year. I tell them the answer does not lie on an outside cure, but a cure from within. I have yet to meet anyone who had recovered solely through medication and I don’t believe I ever will.

For more help and advice visit my main site www.anxietynomore.co.uk

For more information about my book ‘At last a life’ visit

www.anxietynomore.co.uk/the_book.html

Posted in Anxiety and Medication | 11 Comments »

You are currently browsing the archives for the Anxiety and Medication category.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

I'm almost 6 months out from my last Cymbalta. The last few days the fear has

been overwhelming, impossible to get away from. Fear of nothing at all, just a

feeling of fear and terror. I'm tapering a beta blocker so I don't know if that

is contributing to it or not. I feel terror just lying in my bed doing nothing,

afraid of what, I don't know..maybe fear of losing control. Please tell me this

will end. Trying to hang on.

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

HI Lundeliz;I am sorry you are going through this hell.

Yes, it WILL get better.I know because I've been there.

6 months off is not much for AD withdrawal.On the contrary. it could be the pits...

You wont loose control;you don't know how strong you are until you have to be strong.

Again, I'm telling you this, for my own experience.22 months after my last dose of Effexor, terror days are very much over for me.

I am not out of the woods, but definitely better.

Hang in there, it will get better.

Hugs, A.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• 2 weeks later...

I am three weeks into xyprexa withdrawal and I have anxiety that is worsening and depression. I am afraid of everything now. I wasn't like this before. But, I feel like I maybe can't do this.... Even though I never felt myself on the medication. Can anyone help? Is this just me?

The anxiety I'm experiencing following Asenapine discontinuation (also an AAP similar to zyprexa) is beyond words and is the craziest sensation imaginable. There isn't much physically i.e. no racing heart, no lump in the throat or sweaty palms; it is all inside my head like my brain waves have been amplified 1000x, it is this constant hyper CNS  agitation. Everything scares me, even the simplest of tasks seem excruciatingly hard to perform. So I absolutely promise it's not just you.

Past use of Pritiq, Escitalopram, Lithium and Valproate. All ceased with no withdrawal experienced. 

07/2013- Started 10mg Asenapine (Saphris) an AAP 

01/2014- Given 2 week taper by doc

02/2014- Experienced absolutely excruciating anxiety and insomnia

02/2014- Tried reinstating at 5mg but had akathisia attack that hospitalised me

03/2014- Prescribed Doxepin and then Mirtazapine and Diazapam for 'agitated depression'

04/2014 - New Psychiatrist. Willing to empower me to get drug free. Started 50mg Chlorpromazine as an alternative to reinstating Asenapine. Rapidly tapered off the Doxepin and Mirtazapine.

Currently: 45mg Chlorpromazine, 2.5mg Diazapam. 

Supplements: Fish oil, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Magnesium

I’m on week 14 I think from stopping citalophram. Started taking it October 2012 after going on holiday. Prior to the holiday I felt anxious in trains/cinema/lecture halls places I felt I couldn’t get out of easily. Therefore when I sat on a plane for 5 hours I was bad, although not bad enough to have a panic attack, instead I used alcohol to cope. Which I did the whole holiday and the constant hangover made me worse. All in all I came back a quivering wreck and went on meds. Anyway came off them (20mg) did a week of 10mg then a week of 10mg nothing 10mg nothing then a week of 10 nothing nothing 10 nothing nothing. Not much of a taper when I researched afterwards.

Anyway, I understand waves and windows, and the lack of research on withdrawal is horrendous. I’ve booked a 4 day trip to Gibralter, my friend lives there and I’m petrified. I know it’s association between now and my last holiday which was negative. I have windows of positivity that it will be great then I’m a wreck the next wave. I’d love to think I’m withdrawing still, it would be so comforting. I go Gibralter on 9/6/14 :) eeeeeek but I will get through it. It’s only a feeling and feelings don’t kill you. Sending love and hope you all get happiness xx

Was on citalopram 20mg from October 2012 til the end of march 2014. I tapered off by doing 1 week of 10mg then a week of 10 nothing 10 nothing then a week of 10 nothing nothing. This was at the gp's advice.

• 2 months later...

It pains me somewhat to post to a thread that Tim (rest his soul) so recently posted to, but I offer a link to a page on a website that helped me break down and understand the issue of my panic attacks. There isn't anything incredibly new or novel there (although the concept of "adding a second fear" was new to me, and it helped when I consciously worked to avoid that) but since it helped me, I offer it to others.

http://www.anxietyandstress.com/dealingwihpanicattacks.html

04/2013 diagnoses: severe insomnia, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, agoraphobia. PTSD (my diagnosis)

Original scripts: 30 mg mirtazapine (Remeron) (1x day), 75 mg Bupropion HCL (Wellbutrin) (2x day), and 0.5 lorazepam (1x day or as needed)

05/05/14: Onset of acute Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms after haphazard "taper" of 6-8 wks.

05/10/14: Joined this site.

05/11/14: Reinstated approx. 25 mg Wellbutrin (1x day)

05/14/14: Switched to 12.5 mg Wellbutrin (2x day)

06/28/14: Changed lorazepam dosing to .25 mg 2x a day - seems to be reducing anxiety flare-ups

07/28/14: Dosing Wellbutrin in a (home made) solution form 12.5 mg (2x day) 08/15/14: Remeron 28 25.2 22.7 20.5 18.5 16.7 15.1 13.6 mg (home made) solution

05/16/15: Have been dosing lorazepam at .5 mg in the morning, .25 mg in the afternoon, and .25 mg at bedtime. Anxiety has increased somewhat, possibly due to tolerance.

• 5 months later...

I'm currently back on a low dose of Prozac and preparing myself for a year-long taper. The issue I present tonight is one of fear. When I was suffering from full-blown withdrawal before my reinstatement I would experience fear from seemingly another planet - the sort of fear that eats away the soul. I'm not being melodramatic - this fear would come from nowhere and rip apart any hope or sense of certainty I had in anything. The complete and total fear was by far the worst symptom of withdrawal and the one I most dread when I begin to taper. Because the fear is so overwhelming and I have not found any reliable way to curtail it, I am wondering if anyone here has found methods to treat or manage it, because I am sure other people have dealt with this as well.

Feb 7th, 2008 - Prozac at 60mg and Zoloft at 25mg (the end result of five or more years of tinkering trying in vain to reduce my OCD symptoms.) 

Jan 19th, 2010 - Prozac at 60mg and Zoloft at 125mg. By this time I started experiencing muted orgasm and tinnitus. Decided to taper down meds.

May 25th, 2010 - Prozac at 60mg and Zoloft at 37.5mg.

Feb 4th, 2011 - Lexapro at 10mg (after hospital visit during my first withdrawal period. I tapered too fast bit didn't know it at the time.)

Feb 24th, 2011 - Prozac at 40mg with 0.25mg Xanax as needed (Prozac sucks but Lexapro was worse. Lesser of two evils, I guess.) 

Apr 12th, 2012 - Prozac at 60mg and Zoloft at 25mg with Buspar 10mg as needed for sleep (Buspar's the kids' gloves version of Xanax.) 

Jul 18th, 2013 - Prozac still at 60mg (my main B) and no longer taking the Zoloft.)

Mar 5th, 2014 - After months of mounting doubt about the prospects of life-long medication, decided to taper Prozac. Unfortunately, I didn't understand the dangers of SSRI discontinuation syndrome so my taper was only over a period of two months. 

Dec 16th, 2014 - Back on a low dose (20mg) of Prozac to stabilize.

Nov 11th, 2015 - After a nearly year long taper, I took my final 1mg dose of Prozac on my birthday. Finally, I'm SSRI-free. It's a good feeling, though my troubles remain. 

No I'm afraid not.. But I do understand, I think. I described it a pure terror..maybe with a slow taper you can avoid this..

Best of luck.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

We have a topic on it here:

Fear and anxiety in withdrawal *broken link, topics merged

And we have many topics about withdrawal-induced anxiety in the Symptoms and Self-care forum. See

http://survivinganti...sleep-problems/

Edited by Petunia
added note

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Emotional freedom technique, I wonder if this would help. I will report back with progress.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

• 3 weeks later...

any ideas about this drug - is it better option for sleep than benzos or seroquel? (I'm not asking for myself, a friend is in trouble with sleep). 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

I, personally take Hydrox at night for help with sleep and anxiety.   It has been a great help to me,  and I have not had 1 panic attack since I have been taking it.   It can be prescribed as needed for anxiety.

Cymbalta 30 mg  September 2014

Cymbalta 60 mg  December 2014

Daily:    Fish oil,  Vitamin D,   B Complex

Significant weight gain,  lethargic and cost has lead me to want to discontinue use of Cymbalta.

Today I've been overcome with terror. I've suffered from this for 6 years on/off. I don't know if it is iatrogenic or if it was as a result of the intense meditation practice I had been using at this time as a desperate means of escape. I cannot find any way to deal with this. Normal techniques do not work - it is not anxiety nor fear 'of' anything. All consuming terror. When this happens, I feel that nothing in life matters, like this terror is beyond life itself.

I found this: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~parkx032/CY-AX.html

I will maybe see if I can get in touch with someone who deals with this.

Anyone else relate? What, if anything, has helped.

I am sorry you are suffering J; yes, I can relate.

The first year, I was overwhelmed with severe, extreme terror most of the time.

I really don't know how I survived.But I did, and I'm glad.The terror days are gone for good.

The ONLY thing that makes us better is TIME.

Don't do anything intense right now.

Be patient,take good care of you, and wait....

Sending good vibes all the way from tropical paradise to Inverness....

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know if it is iatrogenic or if it was as a result of the intense meditation practice I had been using at this time as a desperate means of escape.

Perhaps it doesn't matter what the cause is.  It could be a complex combination of several factors.  Before I found this site, the only potential perspectives I had for my terror was a spiritual one and a mental illness one....and no support.  But then, coming here, I learned that it may also be, or might only be iatrogenic.  I've now abandoned the illness perspective, but I'm still not certain of anything. 

When it comes to terror, I've learned that the only way out is through.  Breathing through it, allowing it to be in my body, knowing that I am not my body, but the awareness in which my body exists.

I read the link you posted, I thought it was a good description of the difference between psychological based fear and physical/energetic based fear, unfortunately it didn't offer any suggestions about what to do about it.

This reply probably belongs in the finding meaning section, but you posted here, so I'm replying here.  I googled 'terror after spiritual awakening' and a few helpful looking links came up.  Adyashanti talks about fear accompanying at least one kind of awakening and after the shift, it needs to be integrated...

...Or awakening can happen on the gut level—the fear-based “clench” of self can let go to the sense of “no-self.”

It can happen on more than one level at a time; it can happen in any order—and it can so disorder and frighten the individual that he or she wants to “go back to sleep.” And something like that can happen, temporarily, perhaps even permanently. Adya refers to “spiritual shipwrecks”-- the result of awakenings not carried through the process of adapting to the shift in identity. That shift entails an altered relationship to life.

http://awakenetwork.org/forum/105-reading-listening-and-viewing-recommendations/9365-qualities-of-awakening-adyashanti#13693

The way I've been managing the terror I've been experiencing for the last several years is by knowing that its a process which will eventually burn itself out one way or another, leaving me in a freer and more peaceful state.  So when it comes (up), I do the best I can to allow it, to be aware of it and to let it be here, and eventually it goes away, for a while.  I focus on not allowing thoughts to attach to it.  If my mind starts to make frightening stories about what this sensation means, then I brush the thoughts away and refocus on my breath.

My withdrawal perspective:  My nervous system is in a state of chaos from the effects of drugs, its over sensitized and sometimes these neuro-emotions arise and they feel overwhelming.  But they can't harm me and are a sign that my brain and nervous system are healing.  I will do my best to remain calm and accepting, knowing that I am healing every day.

My spiritual perspective:  This human body is the host for a spiritually evolving being.  Awakening takes place on different levels, one being the physical.  In order for this body/mind to adapt to the higher frequency of an expanding spirit, conditioning (deeply unconscious belief structures) need to dissolve and be let go of.  This process can arouse a lot of fear as the mind/ego tries to remain in control. But I am not this mind/body/ego and its fear cannot harm me.

I've been dealing with fear/terror since the end of 2010.  It started slowly and then built in intensity and I would say it peaked for a while at the end of 2011 and again through much of 2013.  But last year (2014) its intensity started to decrease and continues to do so.

I agree with Alex that time is needed, and finding a way to understand and accept what's happening is just as important. 

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Petunia, it seems from your sig that the onset of your terror was when you started the ADHD meds. I began having terror after being on those for a few months, then stopping. Wondering if they did something to my brain. I am a lot better now but pretty sure my days are colored by vague dread. I don't remember what I used to feel like, actually.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

• Moderator Emeritus

Petunia, it seems from your sig that the onset of your terror was when you started the ADHD meds.

Its really hard to know because I had so many different things going on, along with drug changes and a lot of stress in my life.  I'm sure they added to the chaos going on in my brain, but its hard to know what was withdrawal from Lexapro or adverse effects from stimulants. 

I'm so glad your terror has gone for now Joannad, I hope it stays away.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Today I've been overcome with terror. I've suffered from this for 6 years on/off. I don't know if it is iatrogenic or if it was as a result of the intense meditation practice I had been using at this time as a desperate means of escape. I cannot find any way to deal with this. Normal techniques do not work - it is not anxiety nor fear 'of' anything. All consuming terror. When this happens, I feel that nothing in life matters, like this terror is beyond life itself.

I found this: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~parkx032/CY-AX.html

I will maybe see if I can get in touch with someone who deals with this.

Anyone else relate? What, if anything, has helped.

I remember once when I went for a meditation it increased my anxiety...i think it was because my concentration was more inward. I find it more useful in times like this to get involved with something external...i prefer mindful observing of something external as opposed to concentrating on myself...sometimes even lyig down in the morning increases my anxieties...when I get up and start being involved with the outside world I tend to get better...

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

• 1 month later...

I believe I have read that fear can be a WD symptom. I am almost 6 months off Lexapro. I have had anxiety throughout this process but recently an overwhelming sense of fear has plagued me. Sometimes it's rational but most of the time it's not. It then proceeds to increase my anxiety and it becomes a terrible combo. It then seems to manifest into sadness and makes me emotional about situations and past events that really seem silly. Has anyone here experienced this? 

I am going to try magnesium again and see if that will help. I tried it about 4 months off and it made me a little more stimulated. Thanks in advance.

Lexapro from October 2012-October 2014

10mg from Oct 2012-Feb 201320mg from Feb 2013-June 201310mg from July 2013-April 2014
Began taper via liquid Lexapro from April 2014-September 2014(Roughly 6 month taper)---0.00 on Oct 1 2014--WD began in December 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reinstated to 10mg - 10mg Tablet October 15, 2015 - Stable by Mid-January, 2016

2016 - 9mg 3/26/16....8mg 5/11/16....7mg 7/05/16....6mg 8/26/16....5mg 10/31/16

2017 - 4mg 3/06/17....3mg 6/24/17....2mg 9/07/17...1.25mg 10/21/17....1mg 11/04/2017

2018 - 0.75mg 1/21/18....0.5mg 2/18/18....0.25mg 3/13/18....0.125mg 3/27/18....0.000 4/9/18

Supplements - 15B probiotic on and off. Usually helps w/ mood but sometimes is too activating.

I have discovered fear is a huge problem for me with my withdrawal. I have fear about things that are way beyond my control like illness and death involving me and those I love as well as living daily with fear of my own withdrawal symptoms and issues I am having or may have in the future. Never had this till I started coming off this poison. 

40 years old and have been on 20 mg of Paxil for the last 19 years. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to quit over the years.01/2015 Was tapering using liquid Paxil. MD has prescribed 1 ml = 2mg taper every two weeks or once withdrawal symptoms at that dose subside. Reduced from 20 to 10 mg using this method and at 10 mg severe withdrawal set in. 1.5 months of pure hell. Found SA, learned what was happening, and reinstated to 20 mg. After a month of severe symptoms recovered with the reinstatement. Fish oil - Multi Vitamin - Pro-biotic, amino-acid/B Vitamin supplement every day. Magnesium as needed.08/09/15 - 18 mg - 09/08/15 - 16.4 mg - 10/10/15 - 15 mg - 01/02/16 - 13.6 mg 02/15/16 - 12.0 mg - Bad symptom flare up 40 days into drop - Dizziness, panic/anxiety, overheating (esp at night), low appetite, headache, insomnia with bizarre dreams, internal shaking. 04/16/16 - 11mg - 7/17/16 - 10 mg holding.....

Yes to all of the above! It's horrible..

I'm scared of everything..just living is scary..so I try to be in the moment but derealisation makes even that scary!

HELL YEAH! Fear was a huge w/d symptom for me.

Check out my personality change thread as a result of w/d http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8607-personality-changes-during-wd-whos-had-them/

I had so many weird symptoms. You know what herb kinda helps with fear? It sounds weird but I'm going to just throw it out there. It's called Stinging nettles. Give it a shot. It's known to reduce "fear".

trintellix 1 mg and rexulti .5mg

Thank yo for bringing this up. I've been in a bit of a funk, ok, a lot of funk, for a little while now and couldn't quite put my finger on it. I think that Fear fits better than the other notions I've had. Of course they all play together to create a monster but I believe fear to be at the root of many of my more difficult times. Also, thank you for the reminder of stinging nettles. Nettle tea is fantastic and has many health benefits of which I cannot remember at the moment. 

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

Thank yo for bringing this up. I've been in a bit of a funk, ok, a lot of funk, for a little while now and couldn't quite put my finger on it. I think that Fear fits better than the other notions I've had. Of course they all play together to create a monster but I believe fear to be at the root of many of my more difficult times. Also, thank you for the reminder of stinging nettles. Nettle tea is fantastic and has many health benefits of which I cannot remember at the moment. 

No problem. I noticed that singing nettles (a good reputable brand) will actually reduce fear, tension and anxiety. It does detox the body and mind. It can help allergies and those who have post nasal drip (it clears mucus). It also gives you energy.

I feel very fearful also.I have so much fear that I will never feel like myself again,be able to accomplish my goals, and give my kids the best I can. I just joined this site and reading all this stuff is making me more scared! Can someone direct me to some stories or threads about anyone who is on the othetside of Ad use and Wd? I feel good that everyone is so open and supportive, and that its not just me alone in this, but I think my fears would be lessened if I read about someone who got through this and turned their life around,and ended up a better person. I hope you feel better????

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi all ,     I lived with deep fears too during my big withdrawal last year , and many periods before that.

There was also a specific sense of dread.   

Has anyone else felt that?

Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Yep fresh..horrible horrible dread..like everything has a frightening feel to it..like normal things..is just terrifying..also a different thing of terror..like being terrified just to be living.

Glad your past that xx

I'm slowly tapering paxil and fear is a big one for me. Fear is one manifestation of anxiety for me.  Crazy irrational fear of anything and everything, but of course, it seems completely rational in the moment to me.

March 2013-June 2015 reduced from 40mg to 18.5mg paxil. In mid June 2015, switched to Zoloft 50mg. (was on paxil approx 20 years)

Hi all ,     I lived with deep fears too during my big withdrawal last year , and many periods before that.

There was also a specific sense of dread.   

Has anyone else felt that?

Fresh

YES, fear is often due to anxiety or uncertainty. I've experienced more fear these past years that probably in my entire life especially 3 months after stopping the SNRI CT. I was having daily panic attacks, extreme dizziness. I couldn't function. I'm better than I was but believe I have a month to three months until the w/d is over.

• 2 weeks later...

I have talked about this in my personal intro but do others experience this? It does seem to come and go, but, I worry about EVERYTHING! Some stuff is legitimate, and those worries make me feel like my world is crashing down. The other worries, ones that I know are irrational, still seem to make me so anxious.

I then seem to obsess about these worries and think about them non stop. It's awful.

Anyone else experience this?

Lexapro from October 2012-October 2014

10mg from Oct 2012-Feb 201320mg from Feb 2013-June 201310mg from July 2013-April 2014
Began taper via liquid Lexapro from April 2014-September 2014(Roughly 6 month taper)---0.00 on Oct 1 2014--WD began in December 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reinstated to 10mg - 10mg Tablet October 15, 2015 - Stable by Mid-January, 2016

2016 - 9mg 3/26/16....8mg 5/11/16....7mg 7/05/16....6mg 8/26/16....5mg 10/31/16

2017 - 4mg 3/06/17....3mg 6/24/17....2mg 9/07/17...1.25mg 10/21/17....1mg 11/04/2017

2018 - 0.75mg 1/21/18....0.5mg 2/18/18....0.25mg 3/13/18....0.125mg 3/27/18....0.000 4/9/18

Supplements - 15B probiotic on and off. Usually helps w/ mood but sometimes is too activating.

I can relate to this. The most superficial things I will have to logically go through in my head and try to convince myself that I am worrying, getting anxious about this unessrially. It will sometimes get to the stage where I will write down to try and justify and convince myself that I do need to be worried about the particular thing.

2013-July 1st Citalopram 20mg ()

2013-August 19th ended Citalopram cold turkey

med free.  (Took them for 7 weeks)

When I was a child, I spoke as a child,

I understood as a child, I thought as a child;

But when I became a man,

I put my childish things away.

- 1 Corinthians 13:11

A lot of the time it will resolve around my insomnia, I can sleep fine if I'm not worried. But I have to be entirely comfadble with all my family members in the household. The littlest upset or dispute will have me rapidly spiralling downwards Into a great unnatural suffocating depression, like a great empty feeling of lost. Or an extreme body anxity where I'll start shaking. Which will ultimately keep me up at night. I'll openly admit I've become a doormat now to some extent and will go out of my way to avoid confrontations. It's lethal to me otherwise.

2013-July 1st Citalopram 20mg ()

2013-August 19th ended Citalopram cold turkey

med free.  (Took them for 7 weeks)

When I was a child, I spoke as a child,

I understood as a child, I thought as a child;

But when I became a man,

I put my childish things away.

- 1 Corinthians 13:11

TREATING ANXIETY SAFELY & EFFECTIVELY link:
Thought this might be good education for those of us about to undergo a taper, in withdrawal, or post-withdrawal:
http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/54028-treating-anxiety-safely-effectively/

MEDS SUMMARY:

1) Valium: 10mg avg prn from 09-06-14 to 10-20-14
2) Xanax: 0.75mg avg prn from from 09-19-14 to 10-16-14
3) Lexapro: 5mg q.d. from 10-06-14 to 10-16-14
4) switched immediately to Clonazepam: 0.5mg average/day for 2 weeks (10-17-24-10-30-14); titrated to 1mg (0.5mg bid) on 10-31-14 to present; started microtaper @ .625% (.0031250mg x 2) from 08-09-15 to 08-15-15; .800% (.0038750mg x 2) from 08-16-15 to present; destabilized 08-19-15 (due to change from original tablet); reinstated, on day 54, and have tapered a total of 14% as of 09-30-15 with zero symptoms (knock on wood)!
5) Lamictal: 100mg q.d. from 10-23-14 to 12-04-14; started tapering 12-05-14, 25mg every 2 weeks; destabilized 01-15-14; reinstated 01-22-15 at 25mg q.d. from 01-24-15 to 02-19-15; cut approx. 3-4mg every 5-10 days until 03-22-15, then cut 2mg every 5-6 days until 05-12-15; holding at 4mg q.d. from 05-13-15 to present.
Detailed Analysis - Lamictal history: https://app.box.com/s/rnermghleue9aemyhd57l1a00gsk2i4u

6) Also taking meds for blood pressure (Coreg @ 6.25mg b.i.d. and Losartan @ 50mg b.i.d.) + for blood clot I had back in 2012 (Xarelto @ 10mg) + for hypothyroidism (Armour Thyroid @ 1grain q.d.)

HISTORY & SUPPLEMENT LIST: https://app.box.com/s/mc9mch8za2lbizgs9z8j4mzhz2oswn8l

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy