Phil

Inpatient center, clinic, or retreat for detox, rehab, recovery?

akakoom

i like that idea

Altostrata

merged similar topics.

akakoom

guys gettng off antidepressants need peer support too

alex

My mom was suggesting that it would be great to get a group of females together who are going through antidepressant withdrawal and go somewhere tropical and cheap, like the dominican republic, to recover together and offer peer support. Its hard when loved ones dont understand. Would anyone be interested?

Come to Costa Rica.... ;)

westcoast

Your mom is in good company. This went up a couple of days ago.

http://www.madinamerica.com/2015/04/sunrise-center-place-adults-recover-psychiatric-drugs/

Psychotropic withdrawal just isn't in the playbook of ordinary recovery facilities or other mental health programs. It is in a universe where nothing conventional applies. Can't blame them, of course. Can't blame us, either, for not wanting to be "helped" within the system that didn't work very well,for us in the first place.

Regarding the gender question. I think some would like a same-sex retreat, others would prefer mixed, and then there are more than two gender identities to consider.

btdt

What a wonderful idea for those well enough to go!!!!!!!!!!!!  For those who are not a caravan to pick them up where they can all have silent blacked out rooms just to be a part of it... to know they are there.

And we will charge it all to Big Pharma... :)  

I am sure they could write it off... and I want to go to a good place since they are paying to one of the places in Hawaii they send the doctors to learn about their wonder drugs. 

nycdreamer

I think we should get a group together, seriously. That Sunrise Center looks interesting. It's free? We really need a place to go and be supportive of one another to get through this!

btdt

I think we should get a group together, seriously. That Sunrise Center looks interesting. It's free? We really need a place to go and be supportive of one another to get through this!

Do you have a link for that?

RubyTuesday

sign me up!!!

oh, but wait: I have no money. still waiting for my disability.

but seriously, I once made some phone calls looking for a free rehab for psych meds.

one lady was very rude to me. she told me to talk to my doctor. I said, very rapidly "actually I am talking to my doctor but thank you so much for the information CLICK."

after I got off the phone I screamed at the wall:

"you would have been nicer to me if I was a meth head!!!"

ShellyHart22

Has anyone tried inpatient rehab for anti depressant withdrawal? I may have a family member willing to pay for me to go to a 90 day inpatient rehab. I don't know how I can be away from my girlies (6 and 4 years old) for 90 days!!!! :(

BUT I don't know how I can continue to allow them to live in a hostile, toxic environment that I am creating with my drug-induced insanity!

So, I'm curious if anyone thinks this would even be worth it? We all know that it is unlikely that ANY physician will understand about antidepressant withdrawal, but, I can't hold my life together while ensuring these symptoms!

Fresh

Hi Shelley , I think if you read through the posts above , you'll see that no-one sees inpatient detox. as a solution.

"Well, if you want an institutional experience with a near-cold turkey by doctors who don't have a clue about withdrawal syndrome, followed by heavy medication to deal with withdrawal, go for it."

Mort81

Dont do it. It will a major shock to an ultra sensitive system. I did a minor homeopathic liver and kidneys detox. Took a supplement for 2 months. It was not good at all. During Withdrawal you need to avoid anything like this. Most of us who didn't find this site right away usually try a bunch of different things to try and stop the heavy symptoms. Most of time its extremely counter productive

LuiB

I am looking for a place to help me with getting off drugs and attaining full health. (i.e. incorporates exercise, yoga, meditation, acupuncture etc.)

Similar to being hospitalised at a mental health hospital, where many of us were introduced or had drugs/meds reinforced upon us, I am looking for something that does the same with an undivided attention on the patient/client and counselling that is more 'holistic' in nature.

That is, targeting mind-body-spirit.

Spiritual retreat centres come close to this segment, however, is not targeted towards helping you get off and stay off the 'meds'.

They could be located anywhere in the world, preferably Canada or Europe. Canada is because I live here and Europe because due to my criminal record, I think it would be difficult to enter The States.

Your thoughts on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Altostrata

Wouldn't that be lovely!

If there are any philanthropists reading this, contact me -- let's start such a thing in a nice location in Europe and another in North America.

Gato123

Did this ever go anywhere?

LuiB
On 2/9/2019 at 2:36 AM, Altostrata said:

Wouldn't that be lovely!

If there are any philanthropists reading this, contact me -- let's start such a thing in a nice location in Europe and another in North America.

Yes, starting this up is a necessity, Altostrata.

A GoFundMe.com project?

bubbles

It would take years, wouldn’t it? To get off psych meds? At least, it’s taking me years. I’m not sure I’d want to be an inpatient for that long!

ChessieCat

I think it could be that members want somewhere to go for a short while to get started and be able to get follow up face to face support.

bubbles
4 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I think it could be that members want somewhere to go for a short while to get started and be able to get follow up face to face support.

:)

DrugfreeProf

Don't go to Alternative to Meds in Sedona, Arizona.

GiaK
25 minutes ago, DrugfreeProf said:

Don't go to Alternative to Meds in Sedona, Arizona.

What was your experience of alternatives to meds in Sedona?

I've heard of a spectrum of experiences from having gone to alternative to meds from quite a lot of different people at this point. I think it's appropriate for some people but not for those with really long term and extreme outstanding issues.

DrugfreeProf

Link to postGia, take a look at the report I did on my daughter's experience at Alternative to Meds.  It's on Lex1992's thread dated somewhere around August 2016.  (Added:  Link to post).  No, they clearly do not know what they are doing when it comes to PAWS.  And they "withdraw" people from antidepressants (my daughter had already been off for five-six months and was in horrible protracted withdrawal when she arrived) in two months or less using massive doses of different supplements, exercise, and group therapy.  Whom do you know who can go off of, and recover from, antidepressants in two months or less time?

Edited by ChessieCat
added link to mentioned post

GiaK

Oh I'm so sorry you had that experience. Thank you for sharing. I will take a look at the report.