Razzle

Water - Staying Hydrated

Razzle

I don’t want to make too many posts but I wanted to alert everyone to water. I did a lot of research on this and also talked with a researcher on this at GerogeTown medical school. Hydration is critical to brain health and healing. If the brain senses a deficit it releases antihistamines and adrenalin - not good for healing.

Dr. Modoc said we need 1/2 ounce per pound of body weight of pure water to maintain basic functions. If you Google hydration and brain you will see all the research. Since starting this I had a lymph gland that had been swollen for 13 months go away - skin wrinkles went away and hopefully my brain is happier.

NoMeaning25

I've never been someone that liked water. I would occasionally have a glass while on paxil, but that's about it. I did drink other fluids though and did feel thirst.

Since withdrawal i don't feel thirsty at all. Nothing at all. I try to force myself to drink at least something but i just struggle. If i intake 1L of fluids a day its a lot. Really this is a big problem for me.

Anyone else experience this? Obviously I'm dehydrated, my urine is dark in colour and my throat feels irritated all day, but struggling extremely with drinking anything.

Will this get better or should i be concerned its something else? How do i force myself to drink water if it makes me feel sick?

Also, i still have the frequent urination... it has never left me. I pee out much more than i take in.

Liver, kidney, TSH, T4, CBC all normal...

GiaK

try having a large bottle near you and sip all day...small sips all day...every 5 minutes or something take a sip. If you make that a practice you'll end up drinking enough. 

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

I do the sips of water all day even though I am not thirsty. I think it helps the healing process. You don't say if you have seen a doctor for your problem or I didn't read it in your thread. I found that when I stopped all the diet soda and went to plain water it was a struggle but I kept at it and it is a little easier over time to do it.

GiaK

here some food for thought and encouragement to drink:

Dehydration Influences Mood, Cognition
By RICK NAUERT PHD Senior News Editor
Reviewed by John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on February 20, 2012

Dehydration-Influences-Our-Mood-SS.jpgWhile most understand that dehydration can have medical complications, a new study shows that even mild dehydration can influence mood, energy levels and the ability to think clearly.

Regrettably, we often use thirst as an indicator for when we need to drink — a response that experts say is too late to avoid many of the detrimental effects of dehydration.

In two recent studies, researchers at the University of Connecticut’s Human Performance Laboratory discovered the mental, mood and cognitive downside of even mild dehydration.

Investigators determined that it didn’t matter if a person had just walked for 40 minutes on a treadmill or was sitting at rest – the adverse effects from mild dehydration were the same.

Mild dehydration is defined as an approximately 1.5 percent loss in normal water volume in the body.

The take home message is that individuals need to stay hydrated at all times, not just during exercise, extreme heat or exertion.

“Our thirst sensation doesn’t really appear until we are 1 [percent] or 2 percent dehydrated. By then dehydration is already setting in and starting to impact how our mind and body perform,” says Lawrence E. Armstrong, one of the studies’ lead scientists and an international expert on hydration.

The importance for everyone to stay hydrated is a message that needs to be promoted.

“Dehydration affects all people, and staying properly hydrated is just as important for those who work all day at a computer as it is for marathon runners, who can lose up to 8 percent of their body weight as water when they compete.”

In the study, separate groups of young women and men were tested. Twenty-five women with an average age of 23 took part in one study. The men’s group consisted of 26 men with an average age of 20.

All of the participants were healthy, active individuals, who were neither high-performance athletes nor sedentary — typically exercising for 30 to 60 minutes per day.

Each participant took part in three evaluations that were separated by 28 days. All of the participants walked on a treadmill to induce dehydration, and all of the subjects were hydrated the evening before the evaluations commenced.

As part of the evaluation, the subjects were put through a battery of cognitive tests that measured vigilance, concentration, reaction time, learning, memory, and reasoning. The results were compared against a separate series of tests when the individuals were not dehydrated.

The young women experienced mild dehydration which caused headaches, fatigue, and difficulty concentrating. They also perceived tasks as more difficult when slightly dehydrated, although there was no substantive reduction in their cognitive abilities.

The research findings are published in The Journal of Nutrition.

In the tests involving the young men, mild dehydration caused some difficulty with mental tasks, particularly in the areas of vigilance and working memory, according to the results of the second UConn study.

While the young men also experienced fatigue, tension, and anxietywhen mildly dehydrated, adverse changes in mood and symptoms were “substantially greater in females than in males, both at rest and during exercise,” according to the study. The men’s study was published in the British Journal of Nutrition.

“Even mild dehydration that can occur during the course of our ordinary daily activities can degrade how we are feeling – especially for women, who appear to be more susceptible to the adverse effects of low levels of dehydration than men,” says Harris Lieberman, one of the studies’ co-authors.

“In both sexes these adverse mood changes may limit the motivation required to engage in even moderate aerobic exercise. Mild dehydration may also interfere with other daily activities, even when there is no physical demand component present.”

Investigators are uncertain why women and men are so adversely affected by mild dehydration. One possibility is that neurons in the brain detect dehydration. These neurons may then signal parts of the brain regulating mood.

This process could be part of an ancient warning system protecting humans from more dire consequences, and alerting them to the need for water to survive.

In order to stay properly hydrated, experts like Armstrong recommend that individuals drink eight, 8-ounce glasses of water a day, which is approximately equivalent to about 2 liters of water.

People can check their hydration status by monitoring the color of their urine. Urine should be a very pale yellow in individuals who are properly hydrated.

Urine that is dark yellow or tan in color indicates greater dehydration. Proper hydration is particularly important for high-risk groups, such as the elderly, people with diabetes, and children.

Altostrata

Be sure to drink at least 1L of water a day, in divided portions. Dehydration is not good for any part of your body, including your nervous system.

WiggleIt

I guess this might be the best place to post the following info, but mods can move it if I've put it in the wrong place.

I've noticed that if I don't drink enough water, I am more prone to night sweats and confusion. Confusion is a sign if dehydration. Sweating and diarrhea are also signs of dehydration.

Just want to encourage all to make sure and drink water to see if it helps some symptoms, because I feel that water helps me be less confused, less prone to night sweats, and less prone to diarrhea.

LostInTheWoods

I tend more to not drinking little water than much of it. When anxiety or WD symptoms take in, I gravitate between the two extremes: some days I'm thirsty and have to have a glass of water near me to keep my mouth and throat hydrated, some other days I can keep a glass of water near full next to me and I only drink it because I make myself do it. So far haven't feel effects that I would associate with dehydration, but I'll keep drinking water just to be sure.

Mort81

I drink a ton of water but still find myself dehydrated. Only before I go to bed and during sleep do I feel this way. I had this problem while on meds. I probably drink 2-3 liters a day. I have watched salt intake and coffee. It has sprung up way more in the last month. Very odd and really has affected my quality of sleep and mood

Mort81

I think it may be a body temperature thing too. I can be perfect temperature but as soon as I get tired and sleep my mouth gets dry and im taking off clothes and chugging water. I set the temperature in my place very cool and I have fans. Maybe my body is working overtime to correct itself. I don't know what else.

Junglechicken

Wondering if anyone else has noticed that they have to drink a lot of water or similar to stay well hydrated.

Mornings I always wake up very de-hydrated (yes I'm paranoid enough to check the colour of my urine) and its always dark.

I continue checking it throughout the day - I turned all the heaters down in the holiday cottage we are temporarily renting to reduce the effects, but was still de-hydrated.

Haven't gone the electrolyte route yet but wonder if this might help.

JC

KarenB

Merged similar topics.

nick1990

Personally - I drink about 6-8 L a day. Sometimes more. It is so vital to keep incredibly hydrated. As is diet.

gn11

I have been having problems with mild dehydration and some times I had it more severe. My glaucoma meds have this side affect as well. I try to drink water most of the day but at times I forget or is not possible.    I am wondering whether using a higher dose plus being summer time has increased my need for water. I am now doing water with electrolytes more often has something to do with the increase of palpitations. I just read that palpitations is a sign of dehydration. Anybody know how to make electrolyte water? Bottles are expensive plus not environmentally sound. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12344-gn11-wd-symptoms-appearing-at-5mg-due-to-cortisol-dysfunction-after-eye-surgery/

gn11

sorry poor editing...I have heart palpitations with the increased dose of Celexa. I just read that dehydration is a cause for palpitations which is what I've been experiencing.

scallywag

gn - Several years ago, I purchased an electrolyte powder for the same reason as you -- I didn't like the waste of the bottles containing mostly water. I think I picked it up at a GNC outlet; it might be worth a search on their website or a phone call to one in the nearest mall.

icequeen

Ever since I quit the antidepressant, I have been retaining water. I have had edema in legs, lungs and face. I am never thirsty but when I do drink, I have to go to the bathroom straight away. Everyone seems to react differently to quitting antidepressants. There seems to be different kinds of syndromes. 

mustafa

I couldnt get all the posts here and understand them but, water was always a problem in withdrawals, when I spend alot of time fasting and become thirsty and then I drink, I was feeling very full and felt my stomach was about to explode and this was increasing the severity of synptomts in a terrifying way.

I dont know but I know a technique in our books and tgis technique was by my prophet mohamed( iam muslim and mentioned this because some people will want to know where I got this technique from); the technique is to drink water at three stages.

Drink a little and then have a breath( 2 seconds for time), then have another some, then have the 2 sec breath and finally drink as u want.

I really found this technique very helpful for me if I dont want to eat but want to only drink that my stomach was at all ok and not full.

It also helped me have enough amount of food completing the day actively.

It helped to drink enough amount of water.

I dont know also if in the forum here allowed to talk about religious thoughts @Altostrata but ine technique helped me heal faster was to expose water to Quran(  you can assume it like a type of music), when I did this and drank the water, I felt my head pressure is getting lighter.

I dont know, this is all the information I have.

Altostrata

Hello, @mustafa The place to talk about religious thoughts is our Finding meaning forum.