Recovery International: Peer-led CBT support groups

06450m

I am the CT Leader for the peer to peer support group of Recovery International. We are an 76 yr. old group that practises cognitive behavioral therapy as started by Dr. A. Low of Chicago as an aftercare program. I have been contacted by a person using the Point of Return program, their medical staff has been recomending our support group to go along with the Point of Return program. I have felt uncomfortable as the Recovery Headquarters have no knowledge of this program. Recovery has nothing to do with medication tapering. Medication discussion is not a part of the Recovery International Method. Some members are on medications, some mention side effects, but that is not our focus. We offer face to face meetings and telephone meetings to anyone who has symptoms of depression, anger, anxiety, OCD and eating disorders and finds that those symptoms are distressing. We learn how to decrease stress and handle the everyday issues with the Recovery International Method. We have never been a replacement for medical care. We do not have views on mental health diagnosies. We have no views on religious or spiritual issues. We have no opinions on medications. We do not diagnose or cure any behavioral issues.

For more information, Recovery International has an informative website.

Thank you

• Administrator

Here is our policy on Point of Return http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1371-no-recommendations-for-commercial-programs-to-assist-withdrawal/

Why are you posting this here? It seems to me you need to contact Point of Return.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Information about the support group Recovery International has been posted here just a brief description of the group. We just want to inform those who are trying to taper off medications that we can only offer our services as a support group. We are not part of any program that deals with decreasing medications. WE are available in face to face meetings and telephone meetings. 

Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

uh...okay. Good for you. Not sure why you're telling us, we're not associated with you in any way and we don't refer people to you. It would make sense if you did work with tapering, then I could see why you'd want to have a post here. I'm not sure why we would need a list of every support group in the world that doesn't address med tapering. It's not like that's rare. Seems like a waste of our space.

We're not affiliated in any way with those Point of Return people so posting here isn't going to get a message to them.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Information about the support group Recovery International has been posted here just a brief description of the group. We just want to inform those who are trying to taper off medications that we can only offer our services as a support group. We are not part of any program that deals with decreasing medications. WE are available in face to face meetings and telephone meetings. 

Thanks

LOL

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Here's Recovery International https://www.lowselfhelpsystems.org/

From a press release http://www.recoveryinternational.org/press/

In our groups, people train one another on the use of the cognitive-behavioral training system developed by neuropsychiatrist Abraham Low, MD. These cognitive-behavioral techniques are a simple set of living skills used to change negative thoughts and behaviors; changes in negative attitudes and beliefs follow.

Our peer-to-peer groups and self-help training system have been empowering people to lead peaceful, productive lives for nearly 75 years. To find a group in your area, connect to a telephone or online chat group, or learn about our self-help tools and how they change lives for the better, visit www.LowSelfHelpSystems.org or call 866-221-0302.

It appears to be a non-profit organization but I couldn't find a financial statement to see what companies are supporting it. (This is unusual.) The site is sponsored by an electronics company. The site sells stuff.

I guess since it's peer-led CBT practice and doesn't demand money from people who attend its meetings, it's a good thing. I'm retitling this so it can be found as a support resource.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy