BrightStar

BrightStar

Hello, all. New here. I hope that I read the instructions for posting correctly. I am actually very shy about posting anything about myself, but it does seem to be more or less mandatory. I normally prefer to browse...

I am not sure what to say that won't turn into a Google/anti-privacy nightmare, so I will just recount my most recent story, I suppose, with little background:

I have been extremely depressed, from a lifetime of one horrible event spiraling into another. The latest one (I can't mention it, or I may be sued), really messed me up. This is a very recent event. Anyway, my regular doc put me on Fetzima... I wasn't sure I wanted to take it, but he had samples. Also, I have been on everything else. I also have a longstanding hx with Doxepin. I told him that I didn't want to take the Fetzima until I'd reduced some of the Doxepin-- thinking that Serotonin Syndrome might be responsible for my inability to tolerate most other AD's, esp., SNRI's. He agreed. I knew about the 10 % rule from my reading in the past, but conveniently forgot about it; or just didn't know how to deal with a new situation like this? Also, have never been able to figure out syringes, pipettes, and the like. So anyway, I stopped taking 10 mg. of a 20 mg. dose of Doxepin-- which I've been on along with concomittant meds for some 25 years (I'm old  <g>-- can't get the emoticon to work...), and began the lowest dose of Fetzima (20 mg.). I began to sweat profusely... I mean to the point of having to sponge myself off with vinegar and water, every couple of hours. My brain felt good, but the rest of me felt overheated, and extremely dehydrated. (Did I add that I'm on multiple meds? No one knows what to give me, anymore). I was also extremely nauseated on the Fetzima; could only eat toast and jelly.  (I thought it was just my GERD acting up, but since I've stopped it, I can eat again). I called the pharmacist, and asked if she thought it were still Serotonin Syndrome -- since I was still on 10 mg. of Doxepin-- or was it the drug itself, or what? She said she thought it was the drug itself (Fetzima, that is). I asked how long these symptoms last? She said that for some, they never go away!!! I thought to myself, "That is completely unacceptable". I lasted for another day... then had to go out and function; realized that I couldn't go out and ride the bus to see yet another doctor in 90 degree heat, sweating like this! So I stopped taking the Fetzima. Immediately, I felt wonderful; as though I'd been reborn. Didn't know if it was because I stopped the drug, or because some of it was still in my system, but without the side effects? I also felt deliciously cool, as though my body were learning how to sweat normally, again! But the next day, I crashed. I thought, "Now what? I don't want to go back to a full dose of Doxepin! I want to re-learn how to sweat normally!" (This may seem like a small thing, but as one ages and/or is in the throes of menopause, one cannot metabolize drugs as a youngster. I am often so hot even with the AC on fullblast, that I just want to die).

So I went to see yet another doc, that day; told him the story... he said I was tachycardic (he didn't use that word, but that's what he meant), and to contact the first doc. The first doc, however, is now on vacation! I left a msg. with the office staff.

Also, towards the wee hours of the morn, I began to get what I call "tonic/clonic" movements --because I could never get the two terms straight, from before, when I used to detox on other meds. Anyway for me, it has to do with my feet, calves, arms and hands clenching...sometimes, even my back arching. (I have a long hx of trying to detox from various meds-- usually unsuccessfully; too much to go into for this forum and for my own privacy, I think.)

So I did a lot of reading on here an on other sites; I thought I'd better take a bit more of the Doxepin; that I was coming off too quickly. Oh and also, I kept taking my pulse, but I think my heart rate has slowed down, considerably. No one told me to go to the ER, and I feel OK, now... anyway, I broke open one of the caps, and took another 5 mg. of the stuff . I didn't use any equipment-- just opened it, estimated, and took it, straight. The next day, my w/d symptoms were mostly gone (that would have been yesterday, I think). However now, I am VERY DEPRESSED! 

I have also used a low dose of SAM-e successfully in the past, not daily, but every week or two  (except that it gives me a stomach ache). I am tempted to do so again, but want to wait a day or so until more stabilized. Though actually, I just may take it tomorrow, since it's been awhile since I have last taken any, and because I think that may help. NB: I only take about a 100 mg. every week or two.  Mostly, I just wait for a day in which I don't have a lot of GERD or in which I don't have a migraine, because it's been my experience that SAM-e may aggravate both conditions, unfortunately.

Glad to be here... any place run by a cat avatar has to be groovy! :-} I Please someone edit/correct my spelling of "concomittant" ? Thanks. Not sure if this goes into "intro" or "taper" section? maybe both? I cannot separate/reduce the content, I don't think.

I'm sure this is way too long! Sorry. Hard to explain what I've been going thru. Thanks, BrightStar

(Currently on 15 mg. Doxepin-- the only "psych" med, actually, given to me for t i-- and too many other meds to list). Just came off three days out of hell on 20 mg. Fetzima.

PS. I just realized that I forgot to mention that I'd been on an SSRI-- PAXIL-- for about 15 years. Gained a lot of weight on it, but it did make me feel more mellow. However when I hit menopause :blush:  (got the emoticon to work!) it worsened my migraines to ER level, constantly. I then tried tapering myself-- long before I had read anything on the subject. I successful tapered from 10 mg. to 5 mg. by alternating doses (I know from reading on here that that's not recommended, but it did work for me-- maybe because it was a small dose?) My doctors said what I was doing was fine, so I finally just went off of it, over a couple of weeks; discovered SAM-e by accident -- I thought it was a vitamin! I discovered at first that most of my fibromyalgia pain disappeared! However later on, if I took too much, it made me "hypo-manic".

Just went off Fetzima for three days; currently, tapering Doxepin (20 mg, was at 15, now 18 mg.), which I've been on for about 30 years. Was also on Paxil, many years ago, for about 15 years. Did a slow taper; no known w/d symptoms. Taking small amounts of other meds and supplements, as well (too many to list: sorry!) Contact me, if interested. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you're okay going off Fetzima (whatever that is, new one to me) after only three days on. I wouldn't be alarmed if you feel a bit unstable for a while but if you only took it for three days you don't need to taper, it would be of no advantage.

I can't say a lot about the rest of it since I don't know enough about all the meds you're on and your history with those.

If you're not wanting to taper off Doxepin, you can probably stay on the 15 for a while then go back up to the 20 mg. (I'm a little unclear on what you're looking for here, as far as advice etc...)

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hi, Platinum Star,

Thanks for responding to me. UPDATE: I found last night that I still had symptoms with 15 mg., so I applied to 10 % rule, and took it back up to 18 % (with broken capsule... OK, I wouldn't recommend that method to everyone, but it's all I have available to me, right now.)

I feel much better, today! Will try to continue to slow- taper off Doxepin.

Fetzima is a new SNRI. It's for real: I'm not making this stuff up.

Like everyone else, I guess I just wanted SUPPORT? I have been thru hell, for the past week!

Thanks,

BrightStar

Just went off Fetzima for three days; currently, tapering Doxepin (20 mg, was at 15, now 18 mg.), which I've been on for about 30 years. Was also on Paxil, many years ago, for about 15 years. Did a slow taper; no known w/d symptoms. Taking small amounts of other meds and supplements, as well (too many to list: sorry!) Contact me, if interested. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Brightstar,

I think you had a reaction to the combination of Doxepin and Fetzima, there is a major interaction warning:

interaction-3-big.png

doxepin ↔ levomilnacipran

Applies to: doxepin, Fetzima (levomilnacipran)

Talk to your doctor before using doxepin together with levomilnacipran. Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=935-0,3483-16273

Its good you recognized this and stopped taking the Fetzima

Here is some information which may help with your Doxepin taper, Tips for Tapering off Doxepin:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3914-tips-for-tapering-doxepin-sinequan-zonalon/

I'm glad you are feeling better now, welcome to our site, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here, have a look around and do keep us updated on your progress.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Welcome, BrightStar.

You may be experiencing other drug interactions, please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic.

Paxil itself can cause a lot of problems interacting with other drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'm having a heck of a time finding "response" on here, to individual posts. It could be my computer settings: I don't know.

So this is both for Petu and for Altostrata; sorry I couldn't figure out how to do it individually!

I knew about the Serotonin Syndrome, and tried to point it out to my doctor. Both my doc and my pharmacist, though, think the doses aren't high enough to matter; but I know that I'm sensitive, and that they DO matter! I agree with you, that it may have been a combo thing.

As for posting all my drugs and checking the interactions; maybe someday! Just don't have the time, right now; also, it's a moot point, because I can only go off one drug at a time, anyway. However, I have quit all the SS interaction drugs. I am not trying to be evasive: just taking too many to list and research (again), right now, for this forum.  Also, I don't see anyone else here listing every single drug they take-- or do they only take Antidpressants? Maybe I missed all that.

Also, I guess I am feeling too private to list all my drugs (they are all legal, but still; since this can be Googled, I'd rather not.)

I took some SAM-e, a few days ago... theoretically, it's a SS interaction drug, too. But it sure helped! I only take 100 mg., occasionally. Brought me out of depression; was hard on my stomach (maybe because I took it as recommended without food, but I should have taken it with food!) Then last night, I tried only 15 mg. Doxepin... had gone back up to 18mg., for awhile... wanted to see what would happen, again, with 15 mg. I am trying to get my sweating down to normal.  For some odd reason, I went to sleep early, then slept 10 hrs! Now, I am lethargic (I had taken SAM-e days ago, so I don't think it's that); more like high ragweed in the air? Migraine aura? Hmm.

As for the PAXIL, that was YEARS ago; I listed it, just to be follow instructions re: AD, but frankly, it's just not an issue, now. It made my migraines worse, so I went off of it, after having been on it for some 15 years. Had no issues, but tapered it naturally, without having read much about that: just common sense.

If you're just dying to know my other drugs, I will list categories: mostly asthma/allergy meds; some pain- killers. Some herbs. Some sleep meds. Very low-dose Ativan.  I am aware of any and all side effects. No triptans! (I have rare form of migraine, and so, cannot take them, anyway). I also have fibromyalgia, GERD, and DPSS.

Thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the update BrightStar,

If you want to respond to individual posts, click the 'multiquote' button at the bottom of each post you want to include in your reply, when you have 'collected' the ones you want, you can then click the reply to (number of) posts option and they will appear in the reply window.  If you only want to quote a part of the post, you can delete the rest in the reply window.

Its fine if you don't want to list all your current medications, but you are here for support and I assume suggestions or advice about how to safely get off your psyche drugs, the more details we have about anything which may be effecting your nervous system, the better the advice we can offer.

I took some SAM-e, a few days ago... theoretically, it's a SS interaction drug, too. But it sure helped! I only take 100 mg., occasionally. Brought me out of depression; was hard on my stomach (maybe because I took it as recommended without food, but I should have taken it with food!) Then last night, I tried only 15 mg. Doxepin... had gone back up to 18mg., for awhile... wanted to see what would happen, again, with 15 mg. I am trying to get my sweating down to normal. 

2.c. Do not jump around in dosage. For most drugs, it takes about 4 days for the change to fully register in your system. Unless you have an IMMEDIATE bad reaction, wait at least 4-7 days to see how the change affects you. (If you have an immediate bad reaction, go back to the dosage you were taking before.)

Increased sweating can be a withdrawal symptom and suggests a destabilized nervous system, making random changes to drugs and supplements can cause more problems. We recommend taking the same medications at the same dose at the same time every day.  You only have one nervous system, its best to protect it rather than run experiments on it.

Please read through our basic tapering advice here:  Keep it simple, slow and stable

Feel free to write whenever you want, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes