Satch: Seroquel and Remeron Help!

Satch

Thanks for responding. I'm scared too. How much would you cut. I know I'm getting td.

Klonopin 2mg 2000-2005 Tapered off without bad symptoms

Ativan 1mg 2007-2010 Tapered with moderate problems

Klonopin 16 total mgs in Jan and Feb 2014 - got dependent and foolishly updosed by bad doctor to 1.25mg for 4 weeks.  Then horrific detox and placed on Neurontin 100mg, bid, Propanolol 40mg prn, Seroquel 100mg qhs and Remeron 15mg qhs.  Quickly dropped Neurontin and Propanolol.   Stuck on other two meds and still having strong symptoms from klonopin cold turkey.  Want someday to be med free and healed again

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Satch

• tgirl

• Altostrata

• chicken

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Satch,

How are you holding up?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Frustrated. Was finally starting to get a little reprieve from klonopin withdrawal and then bam weird seroquel symptoms.

Klonopin 16 total mgs in Jan and Feb 2014 - got dependent and foolishly updosed by bad doctor to 1.25mg for 4 weeks.  Then horrific detox and placed on Neurontin 100mg, bid, Propanolol 40mg prn, Seroquel 100mg qhs and Remeron 15mg qhs.  Quickly dropped Neurontin and Propanolol.   Stuck on other two meds and still having strong symptoms from klonopin cold turkey.  Want someday to be med free and healed again

It will get better!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

How you doing Satch,

I hope your holding on.

Merry Christmas

Tina

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Thanks Tina. I hope you're ok too.

Just wanted to say hey...

I've read your thread, and I am in a similar situation.

Im 5 months into a CT from AD and now having reaction to Benzo and may have to taper. :(

What have u decided about the Seroquel?

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Start a slow taper.

I hope it works out for you.

How are u?

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

I'm horribly depressed and hopeless. This is the most horrible long lasting experience a human can endure.

I completely agree.

Have u started your taper?

Tried to cut and got worse. I'm trapped.

• Moderator Emeritus

What did you cut, how much, and when?  When you say it got worse, what do you mean?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I cut 6.25mg. Woke next day with increased anxiety. Still having lots of benzo we symptoms. Just unsure if I'm ready but I want off the seroquel bad.

I also noticed, if this is even possible, that when I went from one 100mg tab to 4x25mg tabs that I also felt some withdrawal.

Help from a educated mod please. I'm very scared and hopeless.

Also I'm starting to think I'm not going to be able to keep working. What should I do yo survive.

Thanks for your quick response. I've been on both for eight months. Remeron at 15 and seroquel at. 100 mg. the Seroquels side effects freak me out much more. If I had a choice is be off both but that's not going to happen anytime soon. With this info what's your recommendation.

• Administrator

Such discussion is best done in your Intro topic, Satch, with all your history there.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

Satch, I moved your post here. Please put such questions in this topic, your Intro topic.

As you can see, your entire history is important in answering your question.

Re-reading your topic -- which I highly encourage you to do, too -- I see we've been over and over the same question.

Yes, you could taper the Seroquel part-way, hold, then taper the Remeron.

Well, exactly how bad do you feel? Reducing any of your drugs is probably going to rock the boat more and make you feel worse.

Reduce when you feel you can handle a little boat-rocking.

I can't tell you when that will be. You'll have to listen to your body.

Doc gave me 25mg pills. I'm going to try a 6.25mg cut. Is this a safe amount.

If you are taking 100mg of seroquel you should be fine with a 6.25 cut Satch, it is under the 10% 

that we normally advise. Make sure to hold for a few weeks before making another cut and hopefully you will

be ok. I think it would be better to wait until you have stabilised from the k c/t but if you feel that it is the seoquel 

that is making you sick then you should start to feel better as you taper as side effects are usually dose related.

If you feel worse then you should not go any lower until you have stabilised.

I've been on seroquel 100mg after a brutal klonopin detox for eight months. Just recently my teeth are starting to move and my tongue feels weird. Is it possible this low of a dose could already be causing tardive dyskinesia.

Satch, I'm concerned that this is an adverse effect of the Seroquel. If I were you, I'd reduce it. That's just my personal opinion.

If you go to the hospital, it's likely they'll give you a benzo or another drug for this symptom.

I cut 6.25mg. Woke next day with increased anxiety. Still having lots of benzo we symptoms. Just unsure if I'm ready but I want off the seroquel bad.

I also noticed, if this is even possible, that when I went from one 100mg tab to 4x25mg tabs that I also felt some withdrawal.

So, have you reduced the Seroquel by 6.25mg?

As you can see, we warned you you might have some symptoms from reducing either of your drugs. If you want to do this, you will have to be patient and not get frightened when you get symptoms.

It's likely you will get some kind of odd feelings from reducing Seroquel. With any luck, they will last a week or two. If they last longer, you will know that a 6.25mg decrease is too much for your nervous system right now. You could decrease by a smaller amount or wait until you are feeling more stable.

Decreasing Seroquel or Remeron and dealing with potential withdrawal symptoms is your choice. You cannot take less Seroquel without decreasing it.

Whenever you get scared about making a decision, please re-read this topic rather than posting the same question here and other places.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I'm sorry to be repetitive. Just clearly scared. I think I want to get meds compounded to give me feeling of more control. From your experience does switching to a liquid compound cause sby issues. Thanks. I actually reread the whole thing yesterday. I'm just pretty pathetic and needy right now.

• Administrator

Some people feel the switch to a liquid, others do not.

Did you reduce by 6.25mg or not???

No I did one day got scared and went back to 100.

• Administrator

Well, maybe you should get a liquid so you can tip-toe off.

Please put further questions in your Intro topic -- this topic -- after reading it first, because a lot of questions are already answered here.

You got it. Sorry. Just a mess. Just honestly constantly looking for reassurance this is solvable.

• Administrator

It's solvable, you just have to get comfortable with a method.

Thanks. I'm seeing a neurologist Monday. Maybe he can write a compound script.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hope the neurologist helps with the scripts Satch,let us know how you get on. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing shrink Friday.  Will finally ask for compound.  I am thinking of using compound for two weeks at 100mg and then trying a 2.5% drop.  Does that seem to make sense. 

Satch,

How did it go with the neurologist?

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

I didn;t see the neurologist.  Seeing shrink Friday.  Really want to try a compound of the Seroquel.

Chicken it seems you needed an antipsychotic to get off of the Remeron.  How hard was it to get off of the Zyprexa?  Do you think I should eliminate the Remeron first and then the Seroquel next.

Chicken it seems you needed an antipsychotic to get off of the Remeron.  How hard was it to get off of the Zyprexa?  Do you think I should eliminate the Remeron first and then the Seroquel next.

I'm speaking only for myself here as everyone is different and my situation is different from yours.

Some time back I was on tranxene, seroquel and Remeron. I went off the Seroquel first, then the tranxene and Remeron last. I didn't have any trouble with the tranxene and seroquel tapers. Looking back after the whole experience, I believe I would have stopped the Remeron first, but as they say hind sight is 20/20.

This time, I tapered the zyprexa first, then the tranxene. I had no trouble with them. I am tapering the Pamelor last.

I know they say to do the AD first. I tapered the antipsychotics first because I think they are the most harmful to the brain, but that's just my opinion. It may turn out that my AD will be the hardest and I may have wished I had tapered it first. I don't know.

It seems that some have a hard time with APs and ADs but my experience is that I can get off APs much easier than AD's. I don't know why. I tried benzos several times throughout my life and never had trouble with them. I saved the AD for last this time because I feel it may be the hard one for me and the longest taper so I wanted to be off the easiest ones first so I wouldn't be taking them too long.

It's hard for me to tell you which one to eliminate first. I would try to figure out which one is causing you the most trouble and do that one first but from what I've read Remeron seems to be a very hard one to get off of. It seems that it's either really easy for some people and really hard for some people. Never inbetween. It's impossible to determine in advance which one is going to be the hardest.

For myself, looking back, If I had to go over again with it all, I would have tapered the Remeron first.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

Thanks for your well thought out response. I got a compound script for the seroquel because my doc and I agree the less exposure to an AP the better.

Also, has anyone used a compound script before?  Alto said some people struggle with the change in delivery system.  Also, anyone had a compound of Seroquel before.

THanks again friends.

Satch that's great your doctor gave you a compound script.

My doctor would not do it when I was on the Remeron. I've never tried liquid seroquel but I am making a liquid out of the pamelor I'm taking now. I haven't noticed any problems with the new delivery system.

If I were you, I would take it and see how it goes. If it doesn't work you may could try measuring the pill with a jewelers scale. I believe there is a thread on here somewhere about the scales if you ever need it.

March 2017 DRUG FREE

I just read your thread, and just wanted to wish you good luck. I can't offer much help as I'm currently on Prozac. Went off 10mg cold turkey and it's the worst ive ever felt. Everything you've felt about being trapped, and not being sure if you'll make it, or just be any other psych story, I, and many others on here feel it too. It's scary but I know you'll push through. Good luck.

Sorry if this is long, but I don't know what else to turn to. 

I was seeing as psychiatrist when I was 14-15,  I'm now 19. She put me on Prozac which I started at 10mg, then went up to 20mg, then 30. I only did 30 for a few weeks, then went down to 20, and was on 10 for the last 2 years or so.

I haven't seen a psychiatrist in years as she was horrible. Instead, my family doctor, whose also not the greatest (also says I need to stay on meds for life as my brain 'needs' it) prescribes the same 10mg every time so that's what I've been on.  However, I've recently come to the conclusion that I don't want to depend on medication, and on around December 15 2014 (can't remember the exact date), I decided to stop taking medication, without consulting my doctor. Seeing as it was only 10mg, I didn't think it would make much difference. I also cut off caffeine a couple of weeks after I stopped my medication as I heard it can worsen anxiety.

Since then, about 2-3 weeks after stopping my Prozac, I began to have horrible headaches everyday, panic attacks, and waking up throughout the night and not falling asleep due to anxous thoughts. The headaches cause my anxiety attacks as I worry they (the headaches) won't disappear seeing as I've had them for nearly 3 weeks. Before taking Prozac, I never had issues with this. I had MILD anxiety, but the reason I went on Prozac to begin with was only for depression. 

I'm not sure how to handle this withdrawl right now as it's turning out to be one the lowest points in my life. I'm scared, and not sure what to do anymore. I'm on a waiting list for a psychiatrist as my old one was a child and youth psychiatrist. January 22: Began taking Natural Calm magnesium 

January 23 - Reinstated back onto the 10mg of Prozac 

Thanks for the encouragement, hope you continue to heal and get some relief.