iquit

Hello everyone!!!

I am iquit... formerly wanting2quit on PP.  WOW... how good does that feel to be able to have that "wanting to" in the past!  FINALLY!!!  My journey with SSRIs began back in 2002, and ended for good on May 19th, 2014.  A lot changed in my life that day... a very serious car accident that left me hospitalized, AND letting go of Lexapro (I was finally down to 1 mg anyway), as I was advised not to take it along with the many pain meds they were pumping into me after my surgery.  Out of tragedy comes triumph, and I'm here to prove it.  It has not been an easy road, and still isn't, but the path gets a bit clearer every day. 

For those who don't know, I am a 39 year old female, going on 25, and the mother two amazing creatures.  I'm also the wife to a pretty amazing guy.  I have luckily remained very active and involved during my SSRI use and WD, mainly by pulling the wool over a lot of people's heads in my day to day life. ;)  I am ready to start living my life to the fullest, and not just playing the part.  Still working on this one, but it's getting there!

I will try to post a decent signature, as I had an in depth one on PP, but sadly, that is lost.  I admit I have read through posts here in the past which have come up through google searches, and the people and information here both seem amazing! 

Started Paxil 10 mg., in 2002 for pre-wedding jitters.  Yes, you read that right, but I have always been an anxious person.

Paxil on and off until 2006, when I became pregnant with my second child.  Quick wean, almost CT.  Had severe PP anxiety after she was born, and was put on 10 mg Lexapro.  I now recognize that this was actually Paxil w/d.

Started weaning off Lexapro in 2011.  10 mg to 5 mg, and held there for about a year.  Experienced protracted w/d in 2012, and began to take it nice and slow from there.

Last dose of Lexapo: 5/18/2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi iquit, welcome to SA Looks like you are a success story, maybe one day you will post your story in 

our success stories section when you are out of the woods, it's great to see someone who has got there 

and getting their life back.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi iquit! LOVE the new name! LoL

13 years of Ssri's - celexa, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft

2 fast tapers and 2 cold turkeys over the years

Psych med free since September 4th 2011 - fast tapered then CT'd 12.5 mg of Zoloft

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

• Administrator

Welcome, iquit.

I think I remember you from pp? Good to see you here, and that you're doing so well.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks all!  Altostrata, I definitely remember your name from PP!  What an amazing forum you have here!

imac, glad you like the name! ;)

mammP, I consider myself a success story in the works!  It was a long, hard road to get here, but I'm here!  Third time was a charm for me, and even then, it started off rough.  About two years ago, I went from 10 mg down to 5.  I was actually okay until about six months after that, and all hell broke lose.  I then did 10% tapers with liquid, every 4-6 weeks, and sometimes stretched it out longer than that.  I dropped off at 1 mg due to my car accident, which I wouldn't necessarily recommend.

Started Paxil 10 mg., in 2002 for pre-wedding jitters.  Yes, you read that right, but I have always been an anxious person.

Paxil on and off until 2006, when I became pregnant with my second child.  Quick wean, almost CT.  Had severe PP anxiety after she was born, and was put on 10 mg Lexapro.  I now recognize that this was actually Paxil w/d.

Started weaning off Lexapro in 2011.  10 mg to 5 mg, and held there for about a year.  Experienced protracted w/d in 2012, and began to take it nice and slow from there.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's right, I remember joking with you about changing your name to 'Wanted2QuitAndDid'.  Iquit is a bit shorter though!

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• 1 month later...

Hello, hello!!!  I'm trying to get used to this format on SA, and using this as a journal.  I just have to remember about this thread, then find it, then post! ;)

Well... I'm here!  Eight months off as of 1/19/2015.  Eight months seems like such a long and short time all at once.  The holidays were a bit rough for me this year (I usually LOVE them), and I had a good bought of the flu and then a sinus infection earlier in January, so I'm feeling a little out of sorts. 

Since I have recovered from the flu though, my fatigue has gotten a lot better!  Honestly, I was kind of worried about it.  I still feel though like I should be and should be doing so much more... getting the house back in order, enjoying the good weather we are having, starting to exercise!!!  My dizziness/vertigo keeps me from doing some of those things, and it is VERY frustrating.  I posted about it in another thread in symptoms.

I can honestly say though, other than that, I feel like I really don't have many w/d issues.  Sure, I have anxiety from time to time, I am still a little moodier than usual, and sometimes will get a good old fashioned panic attack, but those things really are SO much better than they have been in the past.  I feel like this darned constant dizziness/lightheadedness/vertigo crap though is hanging a cloud over everything.  If I could wake up one day and it could be gone, I would seriously be hanging from the ceiling and dancing around, I would be SO happy.

I also feel like I have a shorter fuse socially than I did before.  I love to be around people.  But, I find now that it can be draining.  THis is hard, because I feel like I'm torn.  I want to be really social again, but I don't because it just seems overwhelming sometimes.  For example, a friend is having a super bowl party at her new house.  It was going to be my family, hers, and two more families.  Even with that, I was thinking it will be fun, but it's a lot of people.  Now, she is making it an open house and 12 families are invited!  That was when I had to tell her I wouldn't be there.  The old me would have loved that situation, but the new me is like "no thank you".  Then again though, I don't know how much of that has to do with w/d, or the fact that I'm almost 40 and don't enjoy big ragers like I used to! ;)

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Wonderful to hear you're recovering so well. I expect you'll see more recovery in a little while. Give it time - some things heal faster than others, and sometimes you hit plateaus with some symptoms then have them start improving again.

If you want to go to social events before you feel fully ready for all the commotion and/or sensory input, some things that have helped some people have been to just go for a little while, or to attend but go out periodically for short walks or the like. You can explain to the hosts beforehand that you need to take "breaks" now and then so they won't be worried or offended. No need to go into detail or to explain about withdrawal, if they're not aware of your condition. You can just say you're tired from a chronic condition but that it's not contagious or anything to be alarmed about. Or you can just say it's because of unrelated circumstances in your life but that you'll enjoy being around everyone but in shorter increments of time than usual.

(I've actually needed to do things like that all my life. Not always, but much as I love people, I always need to be alone at times, sometimes more than others. True friends understand. Or at least accept it...!)

btw, I've finally realized it's really helpful to bookmark my Intro/Updates topic. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but it's handy to do that!

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Thanks for the replies Alto and Brandy!  It's always reassuring to hear that someone thinks you are doing well, as often times in this experience, you feel like there is no end to the suffering in sight.   I think that is why a journal helps too, so we can really see those peaks and valleys.  Brandy, thank you for the tip to bookmark!  I just bookmarked this thread, and discovered if I put my name in the search function, it will pull up all of the  threads I have posted on.  Cool!  Other than that, I am still pretty clueless, but I'll get the hang of it!

As much as I hate to admit it, I do think part of this dizziness is attributed to anxiety.  Not all of it, but some.  I have noticed in situations where I am anxious, the dizziness really ramps up a notch.  For example, I am PTA president at my children's school, and three times a year, I have to hold a general meeting.  The second of the year was last night, and I hated every moment.  I hated the first one too.  I did NOT want to go, I did NOT want to speak and I just wanted it over with.  For some reason, I have this fear that I am going to pass out in from of everyone.  And the whole meeting, I was so lightheaded and dizzy.  I didn't feel better until I got home and in bed.  

My husband told me last night that he hates to see me so worked up over those meetings, and have I always hated being in front of people?  This made me really sad, because I realized he never knew the old me who loved being in front of people.  I was in pageants for god's sake!  And, I used to speak in front of people all of the time for a living.  Now, I absolutely despise it, and it weighs on me.  Will I ever get the old me back, or at least a version of it?

Overall, I do think I am doing well, but sometimes I wonder if I am trying to fool myself into thinking that by focusing on the positive, and not the negative.  His remark last night made me realize just how much I have changed.

Brandy, great advice about the social aspects of this too.  I have noticed that when I am out, I often make one or two trips to the bathroom.  Not because I need to use the bathroom, but just because I need a moment away and it calms me.  I feel like such an introvert now, and I used to be such an extrovert.  This is another things that weighs heavily on me.  I used to be the person who had their weekends PACKED full of stuff to do and people to see.  If I didn't have any plans, I would panic because the thought of just staying home by myself was unbearable.  I don't know who that person is anymore!  I hope she comes back too though, she was so much fun... not a care in the world. 

Alto, I will check out the threads you posted... thank you!  I did take my first fish oil last weekend, and it gave me a headache.  I took one again during the week though, and did well with it.  I am only taking half of the recommended dosage on the bottle, and sporadically at that because I wanted to see if it would affect me negatively at all.  I think I need to take it on a regular basis though.  I am SO bad with remembering to take vitamins and supplements.  The only medicine I would ever remember to take faithfully was SSRIs, because I would always take them right before bed.

Songbird, nice to see you here!!!  Glad you like the new name! ;)

Hi iquit-- sounds like you're as busy as ever.  It also sounds like you have improved a lot too.  Distraction is one of the best things there is during WD, it really takes your mind off of everything else.  I'm a space case today due to allergies, so I can't think of much to say, but take care.

(((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks for the replies Alto and Brandy! It's always reassuring to hear that someone thinks you are doing well, as often times in this experience, you feel like there is no end to the suffering in sight. I think that is why a journal helps too, so we can really see those peaks and valleys. Brandy, thank you for the tip to bookmark! I just bookmarked this thread, and discovered if I put my name in the search function, it will pull up all of the threads I have posted on. Cool! Other than that, I am still pretty clueless, but I'll get the hang of it!

As much as I hate to admit it, I do think part of this dizziness is attributed to anxiety. Not all of it, but some. I have noticed in situations where I am anxious, the dizziness really ramps up a notch. For example, I am PTA president at my children's school, and three times a year, I have to hold a general meeting. The second of the year was last night, and I hated every moment. I hated the first one too. I did NOT want to go, I did NOT want to speak and I just wanted it over with. For some reason, I have this fear that I am going to pass out in from of everyone. And the whole meeting, I was so lightheaded and dizzy. I didn't feel better until I got home and in bed.

My husband told me last night that he hates to see me so worked up over those meetings, and have I always hated being in front of people? This made me really sad, because I realized he never knew the old me who loved being in front of people. I was in pageants for god's sake! And, I used to speak in front of people all of the time for a living. Now, I absolutely despise it, and it weighs on me. Will I ever get the old me back, or at least a version of it?

Overall, I do think I am doing well, but sometimes I wonder if I am trying to fool myself into thinking that by focusing on the positive, and not the negative. His remark last night made me realize just how much I have changed.

Brandy, great advice about the social aspects of this too. I have noticed that when I am out, I often make one or two trips to the bathroom. Not because I need to use the bathroom, but just because I need a moment away and it calms me. I feel like such an introvert now, and I used to be such an extrovert. This is another things that weighs heavily on me. I used to be the person who had their weekends PACKED full of stuff to do and people to see. If I didn't have any plans, I would panic because the thought of just staying home by myself was unbearable. I don't know who that person is anymore! I hope she comes back too though, she was so much fun... not a care in the world.

Alto, I will check out the threads you posted... thank you! I did take my first fish oil last weekend, and it gave me a headache. I took one again during the week though, and did well with it. I am only taking half of the recommended dosage on the bottle, and sporadically at that because I wanted to see if it would affect me negatively at all. I think I need to take it on a regular basis though. I am SO bad with remembering to take vitamins and supplements. The only medicine I would ever remember to take faithfully was SSRIs, because I would always take them right before bed.

I have the same things weighing on me heavily. I too used to be a complete extrovert and now feel like the opposite. Although I still don't have issues presenting In public etc ( I had to at work all the time - I just don't like it anymore) but honestly in waves my anxiety was through the roof. Even sitting at my desk. My heart was palpitating and racing and wonky all the time and the dizziness was bad in those waves. Whether I was working from home, sitting at my desk or facilitating meetings etc. The meetings made me really anxious but because I knew I wasn't well at all, not because I had to present. Do you think this could be the issue with you too? I'm proud that you got through last night. Whether it was anxiety ridden or not. You pushed through. Give yourself a pat on the back.

I feel like WD has changed me into an introvert and not because of anxiety ( I haven't had anxiety at all in months) but because I now have a very different outlook on life and certain things. I now enjoy time with myself and being bored and alone even. ( I can always find something to do) whereas before if I was not embedded in the middle of a social situation I thought I'd go crazy. LoL

I just bought new omegas a couple of weeks ago. I'm waiting for my current head symotoms to subside then my plan too was to take one every few days to see how I react and eventually take it everyday. Let me know how this works for you?

Thinking of you, as always!! Xx

Psych med free since September 4th 2011 - fast tapered then CT'd 12.5 mg of Zoloft

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

Thank you, imac!  It is nice, but not nice that you can relate.  I wish none of us could relate to this crap, but it is nice to not feel so alone in it.

A lot of what you say makes sense... maybe I am feeling extra anxiety because of how bad I already feel.  And, the introvert versus extrovert feelings, I can totally relate to!!!

I find now as well that when I do have these periods of intense anxiety and stress, it is absolutely exhausting.  Like, I could sleep for days exhausting.  It's tough.

Hey Brass!  If you see this, I hope you are feeling better.  My allergies are starting to pick up too.  Doesn't help that it is in the 70s all week... in FEBRUARY!  Crazy.  Looks like we may be in for a long allergy season this year.

I was just reading up on a few things.  I definitely think I am experiencing some dysautonomia in withdraw.  I think this could explain some of the dizziness.  And, it could explain why I usually feel better on SSRIs, as they are used to treat dysautonomia.  What a vicious cycle!  However, I have read today that gluten could make dysautonomia symptoms worse, AND one of the symptoms of a gluten intolerance is dizziness!  Hmm... could I be on to something?  Maybe?  I eat a TON of gluten, and have never really thought twice about it.

I think I may attempt a gluten free diet for a couple of weeks and see how I feel.  Has anyone else experimented with removing gluten during withdraw?

Hey Brass! If you see this, I hope you are feeling better. My allergies are starting to pick up too. Doesn't help that it is in the 70s all week... in FEBRUARY! Crazy. Looks like we may be in for a long allergy season this year.

I was just reading up on a few things. I definitely think I am experiencing some dysautonomia in withdraw. I think this could explain some of the dizziness. And, it could explain why I usually feel better on SSRIs, as they are used to treat dysautonomia. What a vicious cycle! However, I have read today that gluten could make dysautonomia symptoms worse, AND one of the symptoms of a gluten intolerance is dizziness! Hmm... could I be on to something? Maybe? I eat a TON of gluten, and have never really thought twice about it.

I think I may attempt a gluten free diet for a couple of weeks and see how I feel. Has anyone else experimented with removing gluten during withdraw?

Hi iquit,

I am gluten free and have been for 90% of my WD. I did fall off the wagon for a month around Christmas time but have been gf again since end of December. I was gf all through acute and tbh I did not have a less severe experience because of it; however, since I'm no longer in acute I find that being gf does help a little. I still experience a lot of dizziness ( it's definately dysotanomia) but the brain fog and thick headedness improves a lot without gluten making the head stuff a lot less frightening. It also alleviates a lot of palps ( I know youve had issues with that too). I say go for it and try a gluten free diet. It's a BIG adjustment and you may feel like there is nothing you can eat for a while but in reality, it forces you to eat much healthier ( just stay away from gf products and eat more while foods) Id also suggest to do it for a good 6 weeks. It takes A LONG time for your body to rid the gluten and affects. Sometimes months but you will feel healthier overall, I bet. Let me know if you have any questions ( we talk offline so just reach out me to) on foods etc.

― Mahatma Gandhi

Hope yours stick to being allergies, mine ended up being the flu.  On the mend now.  It's warm enough here that I am starting to prepare the garden, some years I can get the tomatoes in about now and keep them going until early October.  I know of several people who have tried the gluten fee thing with mixed results, it helped some, didn't do a thing for others.  I gotten the dizzies on and off through out my taper but it always tied back to a blood pressure thing.  Hope the new diet helps.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 3 weeks later...

Still here... a day before my 9 months free of SSRIs anniversary!  Still amazing how time drags, but then I feel like I was just here yesterday posting about 8 months off. NINE MONTHS.  I remember not too long ago when two months felt like it would never come.  I'm doing about the same... maybe a bit better, but it's been a rollercoaster or a month, and I find myself very short fused, and emotional.  I still need to schedule my second surgery for my arm due to the car accident, and I can not even put into words how much I DON'T want to do it.  It's looming over me though, and I know I will feel so much better when it is done.  I also had some female testing done recently, and thought I got the green light that all is well, but apparently, it may not be, and I have an appointment with a surgeon on Monday.  This is coupled with the news that a dear friend's daughter was diagnosed with leukemia this month, and my other friend's mom passed away from a very, very short two month battle with lung cancer.  What a month.  What a freaking month.  I am still struggling with the dizziness issues too, but am trying REALLY hard to make friends with it, and just take it for what I assume it is... a very annoying symptom, but hopefully nothing that can harm me.

Here's the bright side though... I am not huddled in a corner weeping, or in a panic with my heart racing 24/7, or wide awake every night unable to rest.  Do I feel great?  No.  But I am not letting these things bring my life to a halt like they used to.  In fact, I'm not sure if it's even me not allowing them to... they just aren't.  I have realized that life goes on with or without you... even through tapering and w/d, and you just kind of go along with it if you want to survive, and be one with this world.  One second, one minute, one hour, one day at a time.  That's it.  This way, it all seems doable.  Some days more than others. admittedly so. 

Is this progress?  Hm... it may be!

It's official... 9 months off today!!! WOOT WOOT!!!

Congratulations Iquit! And thank you for posting, because your success is very encouraging to the rest of us. And I hope you feel proud of it, because it is not easy to keep on keeping on and it sounds like you are living life as best you can and handling it. I have a 5th grade son and am a PTO chair, but cannot EVEN imagine doing the job you are doing! That requires a LOT of interface with other people, kudos to you! I am currently struggling with finding meaning ways to get out and about, and motivating myself to do it. I am afraid to commit because I never know how I am going to feel, but I think that fear also keeps me isolated and lonely. I think it's probably a common theme here, none of us feel even close to out best so we tend to shy away from anything social so we miss out on the energy that those interactions might give us, and the cycle goes on. But thank you for posting, it's an inspiration to me and I need that right now! Best wishes to you as you get on with your life! :-)

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

Way to go iquit.  Not long and it will be a full year.  Sounds like you've had a month that would bring most people to their knees, but you've made it through okay.  Hopefully it will all start to sort itself out pretty soon.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))

• Administrator

Congratulations, iquit. I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic. Please let us know how you're doing!

Ohhh... I get a symbol???  So exciting!  What does it mean? ;)

Prestorb, I wish I knew you IRL!  Our fifth graders could hang out together and we could chat!  I know exactly what you mean by being afraid to commit.  I feel the same way.  Right now, I am actually trying not to commit unless it is something I know I absolutely have to do, or really want to do, even though I may not feel like it.  It helps.  I am trying not to waste energy on stress on things I don't have to do, but feel like I should. 

I gave up Facebook for Lent... NOT an easy task for me, as it is much easier for me to cruise that and be "social" that way right now, than face to face.  So far it's been good though, as it forces me to actually call people (yikes!) or see them in person!  I do feel a bit though like I am going to miss some major news or something though during Lent, but I'm sure the world will keep spinning!  Feeling this way proves to me that it was probably a good thing to give up!

I have a lot of upcoming meetings and medical appointments this week, which I am quite nervous about.  I'll be happy when the week is over!  Anxiety really kicks the dizziness up a notch for me as well, so I am trying to stay hydrated, take my vitamins, etc.  Onward and upward!

• Administrator

The "here comes the sun" symbol is an experiment -- recognizing you're on your way to recovery.

Cool!!!

Realized yesterday that half the battle of getting off the meds is coming to terms with the fact that I have to deal with the anxiety.  I have always been an anxious person, and went into detail about it on PP.  I had never experienced anxiety like I did when doing off meds, which is a whole other beast.  But... my original anxious personality is still alive and well!  And, I need to start taking care of myself, and stop blaming everything on withdraw.  If I only drink 30 oz. of water in a day and nothing else, and feel like I am going to pass out, chances are it's probably not withdraw, it's me not taking proper care of myself! ;)

I had to meet with my lawyer yesterday, and a casualty claims specialist from my insurance company, which I am suing, to try to get them to pay all of my medical bills since the accident wasn't my fault.  Funny how no one wants to be responsible for $200,000 worth of medical bills, even when you are insured and "should" have the coverage!  I did not want to go to this meeting.  I hate dredging back through the details of that horrible day, and it causes me severe anxiety.  Especially when I know that someone is sizing me up the whole time.  Luckily, the claims specialist was extremely nice,.  And, I think the meeting went well.  However, I was in such a state for the hour long meeting that I was as stiff as a statue.  I was dizzy and lightheaded for the rest of the day, and my whole body was sore, and still is from tensing up like that!  I could barely feel my legs when I stood up after the meeting, and today they are very sore.  I was afraid I was going to pass out the whole time. In fact, whenever I am in public now, I am afraid I am going to pass out.  I am sure some of my dizziness and vertigo attributes to withdraw.  But I am really wondering how much of it is in my head.  Well, it's ALL in my head, but how much is lack of chemicals, and how much is my own doing.  Can someone please tell me?  Thanks! ;)

THESE things, my friends, are what I need to get a grip on and should start dealing with now.

Exactly the way you described yourself is me exactly. The funny part us we are close in our signature for withdrawing off lexapro. I gave been off sine the end of April 2014. I had to meet with a lawyer yesterday and I felt exactly like you. The next day which is today I feel awful. I just want to feel normal again, what normal is I have no idea but hopefully will figure it out.

I started ssris around 2000 sorry I cant remember exactly everything and when but i will try

Paxil from about 2000-2004 from 10 mg right up to 40 mg felt like it wasnt working

THen I have been on Celexa from 2004-2007, then well butrin and abilify was thrown in somewhere up until 2010

tried to c/t off celexa a few times could do it..

went on Cymbalta from about 2010-2012 then had gastric bypass surgery so i wasnt absorbing it very well

2012-2014 went back to celexa then slowing between july 2013 and april 2014 weaned about 1 mg a month

last dose taken was April 2014 And havent really felt that bad at all.. until recently 9 months out and wanted to start college i think this sent me into a wave...i suffered 2 strokes in the small part of my brain in around 2010 but they arent exactly sure when by the time we found them. I had c/t off my meds at that time and was given a triple dose of birth control pill to take for a few months ( so we think that could have caused them)..

Canadagirl, I am so sorry.  Safety in numbers though, right?

You took the words out of my mouth as well... I want to just wake up one day and feel normal, if even for a day.  Would I know it if I felt it though? ;)

You would absolutely know. I've had it for days and weeks now. There's a big distinction between WD "stuff" and real life "stuff". We just tend to forget because where we are sitting has been our new "us" for so long. Plus I find in WD our neuro everything exacerbates all our old stuff.

I'm sorry Youre having such a crappy time lately, iquit ( and everyone else here). I find that as we heal and are still in the healing phase, any type of stress can rev up our CNS. Sadly. I hope it goes away at some point. I have heard many say this is the one thing that can go on for a while. It would be nice for us to be able to get on with our lives!!

― Mahatma Gandhi

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I just have to remember about this thread, then find it, then post! ;)

You can find your own threads by clicking on "My Content" and then on the left click "Only Topics".

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Here I am again!  I hit 10 months off on 3/19.  Withdraw hasn't been worse, and dare I say, might be a tad bit better.  And by tad, I mean microscopic, but I'll take it!  I try to remind myself every day that it's not a race.

I have some stressful times coming up with big fundraisers at school, a trip out of town for spring break, my daughter's first communion, AND we may be moving out of the house we've been in for 12 years and into a new one within the next couple of months too.  We are actually in escrow for the new house, and are getting inspections done, etc. this week.  I must be a serious glutton for punishment with all of this going on, but it's life, and life doesn't stop!

My lawsuit is coming to a close this week as well.  What a huge relief.  Apparently during the meeting I referred to in a previous post, I "knocked it out of the park" according to my lawyer, and my insurance representative called the very next day to offer up the full settlement.  To say I was flabbergasted is an understatement.  My lawyer said he only puts clients in front of the people they are suing out of the courtroom 1% of the time if that, because it almost always makes the case worse instead of better.  But he said I come across so well put together and am so well spoken that he knew as soon as the insurance representative met me, she would realize what a huge mistake it would be for them to take it to court and have me testify in front of a jury.  What I think is hilarious is that I see myself TOTALLY opposite of how he described me.  I mean, I was so worked up I couldn't breathe, and it took me days to recover from that meeting.  Goes to show that this really is a silent struggle.

I got a reminder today and yesterday that this process is so not linear. Lots of anxiety over everything going on. Sometimes I wish I could say to life "please hold for s few days while I rest!!!"

Ain't that the truth iquit? Amen.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow. Eleven months off as of 4/19. I remember not too long ago when that date seemed SO far away, and it has already passed! Ok dealing with a little bit of stress as the year anniversary of my car accident is also coming up. I'm hoping to be too busy to really pay it too much attention though. withdraw symptoms have been hard to asses lately due to a few things: it's starting to heat up (I don't do well in the heat, and it's regularly in the 100 teens-twenties here in the summer), I've been burning the candle at both ends, and have had a lot of added stress with school and we are moving next month out of a house we've been in for 13 years.

I have noticed though that my heart rate in general is lower. It still gets to ticking really well, but my resting heart rate is lower, and when it does speed up, it calms back down a lot faster. I've struggled with this since my Paxil days yeeeeeears ago.

Panic attacks are better! I almost hate to even type this, as I don't want to jinx it. Even with all of the stress, they are few and far between these days. And now they last minutes, or at the worst under an hour. They used to last hours to days. God, they were horrendous.

My stomach is strong. Man, I had the worst stomach issues whenever I got off SSRIs in the past. I would lose so much weight, and could not eat anything. The slow wean helped with this so much! I am at a stable weight, and honestky don't even think much about it anymore.

Dizziness, or what someone here referred to as "floaty boat". Grrr... Still with me. This one is hanging on tight, and I hate it. I'm trying to patiently wait for it to pass, but I do think it has to do with a few other things too: dehydration, allergies, and clenching my teeth pretty much all of the time. That last thing can't help!

So, all in all, not too bad! I eas so scared I wouldn't make it this far. And, I have to reiterate once again...

SLOW and STEADY wins the race, my friends!!!

Wow. Eleven months off as of 4/19. I remember not too long ago when that date seemed SO far away, and it has already passed! Ok dealing with a little bit of stress as the year anniversary of my car accident is also coming up. I'm hoping to be too busy to really pay it too much attention though. withdraw symptoms have been hard to asses lately due to a few things: it's starting to heat up (I don't do well in the heat, and it's regularly in the 100 teens-twenties here in the summer), I've been burning the candle at both ends, and have had a lot of added stress with school and we are moving next month out of a house we've been in for 13 years.

I have noticed though that my heart rate in general is lower. It still gets to ticking really well, but my resting heart rate is lower, and when it does speed up, it calms back down a lot faster. I've struggled with this since my Paxil days yeeeeeears ago.

Panic attacks are better! I almost hate to even type this, as I don't want to jinx it. Even with all of the stress, they are few and far between these days. And now they last minutes, or at the worst under an hour. They used to last hours to days. God, they were horrendous.

My stomach is strong. Man, I had the worst stomach issues whenever I got off SSRIs in the past. I would lose so much weight, and could not eat anything. The slow wean helped with this so much! I am at a stable weight, and honestky don't even think much about it anymore.

Dizziness, or what someone here referred to as "floaty boat". Grrr... Still with me. This one is hanging on tight, and I hate it. I'm trying to patiently wait for it to pass, but I do think it has to do with a few other things too: dehydration, allergies, and clenching my teeth pretty much all of the time. That last thing can't help!

So, all in all, not too bad! I eas so scared I wouldn't make it this far. And, I have to reiterate once again...

SLOW and STEADY wins the race, my friends!!!

Hi iquit-- wow, that's some update, I am so pleased for you.  A lot of those stressors  are situational and will clear up with time, like everything else.  You're probably already doing it, but I found that wearing a mouth guard at night really helped relax my jaw during the day.  Hope things are even better when you final reach the one year mark. lol

(((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))