Depression recurs while tapering

bubbles

What I mean though is has people recovered from depression occurring as a result of continuos re-in statement. As in treatment resistant. Can diet and the like work in cases like this?

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Would you like to participate in this? You'll see a lot of us can't because we know we won't ever take the drugs again. For me, I'll be taking life as it is handed to me from here on in, no chemicals. The depression that happens in WD was the worst I ever experienced but I came through it to the other side. If it ever comes again, I'll know what to do. Funny how I never knew that for most people, depression is time limited and usually resolves in 6 months or so. Diet, sleep, exercise, sunlight, distraction and for some, a hefty dose of CBT is all they need. Worked for me, the WD depression is gone.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

That's great I'm pleased for you :)

Will have a look at the study. I'm just wondering if treatment resistant means totally incurable does not even respond to the self care you listed above. I was well and truly hooked on the notion that I had a chemical imbalance so whenever withdrawal would hit I had no clue and of course the self care that would maybe work for natural depression just does not work..so back on meds..I would love to be med free and handle everything in the most natural way possible though..I would be devastated to go through all this to end up like that.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Joannad, I have the same question as you. Since my med history is similar as yours. 

Right now I'm also having a very bad bout of depression. I'm feeling frustrated since the depression was getting better even though other WD symptoms were not so good. 

I want to know if depression is also a WD symptom and part of a wave? Or is it the original condition why they gave us those psychiatric meds. However, I don't remember being so horribly depressed before AD's, so this gives me a hint that it has to be WD or something related to the damage done by so many meds. I don't know. I just want to feel better. And more meds are not an option now. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

By Kelly Brogan MD, website www.kellybroganmd.com. http://www.madinamerica.com/2014/12/depression-serotonin/

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Sorry Cdav

I know, I just want to feel better also.

Hugs xx

By Kelly Brogan MD, website www.kellybroganmd.com. http://www.madinamerica.com/2014/12/depression-serotonin/

Excellent article, M. Reading it now. Did you post it in other threads, like "In The Media"?

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Very good article. Scary at the same time, but eye-opening. 

So what can be done about this dark depression that has come from WD? Just wait for it to go away? Does it go away?

I've tried every tool I have, but this is too much. 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

To cdav:

It is a 'neuro-emotion' I wrote a post in my thread about it recently, look for the one that has the term "overshoot" in it.

There was nothing could do about it except cry and distract myself as best as I could. It was like nothing I ever experienced in my whole life.

Yes, it goes away. You can't wish it away. I have a post in my thread that explains what I did for the last year of my life which I believed helped me to get better. The info is all over this board.

Of course it is too much and the tools are there to help you cope, not make it go away. It went away when it went away is how it happened for me.

• 1 year later...

I'm feeling depressed. It seems to happen every few weeks for a few days at a time. Doesnt seem to matter where in the tapering i am. Is there another medication besides an ssri i can take for depression? I am worried i need something to help with this depression. What if it continues or worsens once i am completely withdrawn from the ssri? How else do others deal with depression?

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

May 31st took last of prozac. Lithium 300 mg, estrogen patch 150, magnesium.

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 15 decreased 50 mg of lithium to see if it improved low heart rate.

July 19th - increased prozac to 1.5mg.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Continuing 250 lithium, 1.25mg prozac, estrogen.

Oct 31st - continued 250 lithium, 1 mg prozac, estrogen patch.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

• Moderator Emeritus

There are no medications which will 'cure' depression.  Depression is a withdrawal symptom. 

Depression also is a sign that all is not well in your life - and that is certainly the case when you are in w/d.  Was depression what you initially began SSRIs for?  I have had a long struggle with depression (ie for most of my life).  Here's my take on what helps us to manage depression (the long story is in my blog, see link in my signature).

The short story is that I've built up a combo of things that together have helped me manage depression.  I think of it as weaving a nest, weaving a held life. 

My 'feathers and twigs' include restorative yoga - which also helps you learn to listen to your body; eating whole foods; learning to meditate; finding time to be playful; regular counseling; writing; crying; developing deeper connections with a few close friends and asking for help; resting more; saying 'no' more; singing; dancing...

If you start to look, you will be able to build things into your life that uniquely support you.  It will be different to my list.  Eventually you'll be able to spot depressive waves as they approach, and you can be prepared for them.  That way they don't bowl you off your feet so much.   

There's no 'single' answer to depression; it requires changing one's life to a nurturing and supportive life.  It requires us to no longer try to push on through.  It requires us to listen to our body and soul, to create quiet places where our thoughts can come out to us, and where we can then acknowledge and respond to them.  

The more I've done this, the more the joy in my life has increased.  This is an immense change from where I once was.

If you start to build yourself a strong nest, then you needn't worry about what life post-SSRIs will be like because you'll have already have support in place around you.  A lasting, living support that brings goodness into your life, doesn't have side-effects and can't poop-out on you. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thank you for your insight. Those coping techniques resonate with me. But I don't understand what causes depression. Something physiologically makes me bottom out. It is real. It is not circumstances. In fact one circumstance feels completely different depending on whether i am content or depressed. I feel like it is mt fault but feel powerless to change whatever happens inside me. I feel like giving up some days and loving people the next. I can't understand it myself. Any advice?

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

Yes, it is real. It is as real as the ground you stand on. You cannot reason it away. You can't just "get over it." Only the ill-informed think that way.

Fact is, no one knows exactly what causes this. It is suspected to be genetic in nature. There are often corresponding chemical imbalances affecting mood. But no one really knows what causes it. It remains one of the great mysteries of medical science.

Aside from antidepressants, there are a number of things that can lessen the severity of depression. Regular exercise is probably the best. Diet is important. Knowing if you're eating right requires help from medical experts who can analyze your blood eight ways to Sunday.

I'm on the depression roller coaster, myself. I miss the days when depression manifested as anger and aggression, because I wasn't sad the way I am now. Of course, I was making everyone else miserable. I probably still am.

Regular exercise is probably the best relief you can get.

Began in 1998 at 20mg/day. Dropped from 20 to 10mg/day around 2006. Dropped from 10 to 5mg/day in June of 2014. Dropped from 5 to 0mg/day in June of 2015. Rough times, indeed.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Help,

Once we have taken SSRIs or other psych meds that change how our brains function, then depressions loses it's usual pattern as a response to something external.  It is known that psych meds can cause depression.  When we are tapering, or have ct'd or been bouncing round with doses, our brain is in even greater turmoil trying to get us 'right' again.  And you've had 16 years of brain-messing due to those drugs.

Have a read of Anatomy of an Epidemic.  So many studies are discussed in there.  Once a person's brain has been exposed to psych meds it becomes chemically imbalanced.  So now, in addition to regular old depression, the person must deal with the randomness of depression caused by the drug.  This won't correspond with any external factors because it's the result of a brain trying desperately to find some balance again. 

I am not a particularly scientific person, so this is really just what I have come to understand through my own experiences and then reading some books, and discussing with various people. 

What you are experiencing is not your fault.  Life throws hard stuff at us, and then we've ended up on these drugs which compound that.  I also used to be unable to see how I could ever get out of my depression.  I spent well over a decade feeling unfixable.  But in the end, perhaps with time, perhaps with enough life-supports woven around me, I have been able to do it.  Beginning to taper off SSRIs has certainly helped.  I can't explain any science behind it, but I feel very strongly that even when we can't see the way out, there still is a way out and we will eventually find our way onto that path.  

The path is the good things that we build into our life.  The change doesn't happen straight away.  And with the complication of w/d depression and neuro emotions etc, it can take longer.  But it can be done. 

I really feel for you, I know the pain of being in that place where you can't see a way out.  All I can do is share what I did - keep putting one foot in front of the other, and face yourself in the direction of healing.  Even if it feels bad for a while yet to come, you will eventually start to get there. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hello Help, 

I think of depression as a symptom rather than an illness in and of itself. Like a physical symptom, say an ache, might have many possible causes and/or triggers I think depression does too so there isn't one fix all solution (despite big pharma's misguided attempts to convince us otherwise). 

That said, I've had some success with taking theraputic doses of omega 3 after reading a medical study that indicated it was as good as prozac at treating depression. I've taken them 18 months now. Vitamin C and inositol has helped me too but the omega 3 has been my core support against the depression spiralling out of control and I don't miss a day. 

Other supplements and dietary/livestyle changes may help too. 

2010: Adverse reaction to citalopram/suicidal.

2010-2014: Venlafaxine doses 75-150-300. Began to cause heart palpitations.

2014: Adverse side effects from Sertraline

2014: Adverse reaction to Mirtazipine/suicidal. CT withdrawal. 

2014: Accute adverse reaction to one prozac pill. Body & brain went on fire. Full WD

2015: Half dose of Lorazepam restarted all the WD symptoms. 

2017: Bad reaction to stopping propranolol beta blockers. Violent shaking WD again.
2023: Severe adrenaline surges triggered by low frequency sound/vibration next door. Heart rate going dangerously high so now 25mg atenolol.

Current Supplements: Omega 3 & Vitamin C, magnesium. 
Current other medications: Metformin (type ii diabetic), Lymecycline (for rosacea), Atenolol 25mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

As Karen has written, many of the symptoms diagnosed as depression can be caused by withdrawal, we have topics on them see:  Severe Fatigue - Surviving Antidepressants    Anhedonia, apathy, demotivation, emotional numbness ...   Neuro-Emotions: Deep despair, dread, doom, horror ...    and  The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

If these are withdrawal induced symptoms, then they will pass in time as you recover.

But what is 'depression' anyway? As far as it being a diagnosis of an illness, its not a very scientific one because in reality its just an umbrella term for a bunch of symptoms which sometimes appear together, but it says nothing about what might be causing those symptoms.

Rather than immediately medicalize normal human emotions, thoughts and behaviors, and look for a pill to cure them, I think its more sensible to take the time to explore what's happening. Perhaps our body and mind has something important to tell us about ourselves and our life.

Are we feeling sad, tired, bored, unmotivated, guilty, angry, hopeless, angry, resentful, ashamed, apathetic, lonely, unappreciated, unloved, frightened, misunderstood..... what exactly is the sensation and what am I telling myself about it? What are my thoughts telling me, and is it the truth? If its true, can I do something about it? Maybe I need to look at my lifestyle, my diet, my relationships or my work.

Sometimes people get burned out for various reasons and end up exhausted, emotionally, physically and mentally, unable to even get out of bed in the morning, but perhaps this isn't an illness either, maybe its a perfectly reasonable response by an organism under threat, needing to do what's necessary for its survival.

If depression is something you struggled with before starting on medication, look a little deeper at what's going on, perhaps with the help of a good therapist, books and support groups. Finding out what's really causing us to be tired, unmotivated and unhappy is the first step towards finding a proper solution. Drugs don't cure anything, they just mask symptoms, cause harmful side effects and don't teach us anything about ourselves.

There are many theories about what causes people to become locked into the pattern of thinking, feeling and behaving, which gets called depression, but in reality, there's probably not one cause. Even though our brain chemistry may change according to the way we are feeling at a particular time, there's no evidence that any psychiatric illness is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Please see:   Again, chemical imbalance is a myth. Stop the lies, please ...      

Causes of Depression - Research and Discussion - In the ...

Seeing Depression as a Call to Deep Rest

"Rebound depression" according to Joanna Moncrieff

Bipolar, Mania, Hypomania, Depression, or Drug Effects?

Edited by Petunia
added links

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

the first thing I would try besides any medication is therapy:) 
It has always helped me the most. You just have to find someone good - I went to see a few people and if you are already a person that reflects a lot about him/herself you need somebody that can dig deeper:) 

2005-2006: Cipralex 5 mg

2009-2010: Cipralex 5 mg

2012-2015: Cipralex 5mg, 10mg 

tapered 10mg-7.5mg-5mg-2,5-0 (I always waited for a few weeks on the current dosage until I felt stable. Steps were too big I realized too late)

Completely drug free since August 2015

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't do a lot of digging with my therapist.  I trained her as to what I need when I am depressed and she generally delivers.  Encouraging words.  New ideas for coping or shifting my mindset.

I rest.  Focus on eating.  Painfully sometimes I decrease my stressors.  Music.  Distractions.  Do the bare minimum.  Winter here so my fake sunlight, warm baths, and fireplaces.  I try and just stay comfy and cozy.

Happify.com was kind of fun today.

I am trying to squeak my way through that desire for an antidepressant myself.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

i know depression is hard. 
Try to get as much sunlight u can get , and exercise (if u can exercise) and try force yourself to stay active if you can. Depressionmode in wd was for me one of the hardest periods, but it went away. 

2007 - 2013: was on citalopram (tried to quit a few times, never worked, always went back on. max dose 40mg)

2012-2013: was tapering my citalopram all down to 2,5 mg then quit.
2013/aug: Took  my last pill 

W/D hit me bad after a few weeks off my medicine.

2014/August: 12 months off (much improved)

2015/April: 20months off. ( much improved, still some symtoms comes in waves, but not so intense.)

2015/june: 22months off. FELT different than before, all shakings suddenly stopped, feel much better. a fantastic feeling!

2016/Feb : 2 years and 6 months off, END of my suffering. I feel perfectly fine and back to normal. 
2018/Oct: Iam still feeling great. It is hard to believe my own story when I read back, what I went through!

When did it go away for you?

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy