Phil

Ketamine treatment

antidepressantsNoMore

merged related threads.

People love the idea of a new wonder drug for the pains of life.

There will be future treatments for depression which may be a wonder. Science is advancing. Depression will be eventually be able to be kept in check completely.

antidepressantsNoMore

Oh, great. Now we can get our brains crippled even faster. Both Scopolamine and Ketamine are extremely dangerous drugs and I would encourage anyone who is tempted to try either to read up on both of them first. Ketamine is an anesthetic, for Pete's sake, and Scopolamine is used by criminals to "zombify" their victims. Legitimatizing these drugs for depression is right out of 1984 by George Orwell.

Another variation on the chemical imbalance theory, but even scarier than SSRI/SNRI antidepressants.

That's why ketamine should be administrated by doctors in low doses. And honestly, SSRIs are horrible if just as bad. I will never take SSRIs again.

Foggyhead

Back in February I had two back to back infusions. I did not have a good reaction and it did nothing for me. I was extremely disassociated and thought I was going to die. This was two months after withdrawing from Lexapro.  

voyteck

Short report of my experience with esketamine (clinical trial).

I had 5 applications. It didn't help for any of my problems.
However, I was taking also AD med (I had no choice, it was requirement of this version of trial). And I'd like to try it once again when I'm 'clean' - with no real hope but curiosity.

Oceanrat

I’m in severe withdrawal, polydrugged, the whole bag. My last window was bout 2 1/2 years ago. My psych is a leading proponent for ketamine therapy. I’m not thinking it’s a good idea. Any thoughts bout this procedure?? Not sure this is the right section, sorry

Rezten

I had six Ketamine infusions in September.  It greatly helped with my depression and helped my anxiety very little, but I was glad I did it and would do a few more treatments if possible.  

Please see Rezten's follow up post here.

Edited by ChessieCat
added link to follow up post

Peachy
On 10/11/2018 at 12:16 PM, Rezten said:

I had six Ketamine infusions in September.  It greatly helped with my depression and helped my anxiety very little, but I was glad I did it and would do a few more treatments if possible.  

hey! how long did the depression go away for? any other side effects from the treatments? would you say it helped with WD symptoms? Thanks!

Rezten
29 minutes ago, Peachy said:

hey! how long did the depression go away for? any other side effects from the treatments? would you say it helped with WD symptoms? Thanks

Since I wrote that, I have changed my take on the ketamine.  My depression lifted for a short time and I am still in severe withdrawal with a lot of depression and SI.  The ketamine in the long run did nothing for me and possibly damaged my CNS even more.  I wish now I never posted that. Sorry for that.

Peachy

thanks for telling me!

crashcourse
7 hours ago, Rezten said:

Since I wrote that, I have changed my take on the ketamine.  My depression lifted for a short time and I am still in severe withdrawal with a lot of depression and SI.  The ketamine in the long run did nothing for me and possibly damaged my CNS even more.  I wish now I never posted that. Sorry for that.

I'm glad I found this. I was considering ketamine treatment, since I rea an article on it. However I do know that I'm not taking any more chemicals without prior research.

Also I am currently withdrawing from Effexor 75 mg. I notice that you did a relatively quick taper from 150 mg to 0 in about 6 months. What was your experience like? Should I go for a similar taper? 

Rezten
1 hour ago, crashcourse said:

Also I am currently withdrawing from Effexor 75 mg. I notice that you did a relatively quick taper from 150 mg to 0 in about 6 months. What was your experience like? Should I go for a similar taper? 

My taper was too quick and done at the advice of uneducated prescribers, and I was uneducated as well.  No, you should not do a quick taper like I did. My CNS has crashed, I am unable to work, i was bed bound for many months and still find it hard to function most days.  This has been living hell, as it is for most people going through this.

It is recommended that you taper 10% or less of the current dose a month and holding when necessary. Listen to your body.  There is information on the site about the best way to taper Effexor.  You can do a search if you havent already. The moderators can assist you as well.

I wish I knew then what I know now.  

crashcourse

Thanks @Rezten

I've read a lot of the stuff on SA, and do plan to try and follow best I can. There's this desire to get rid off drugs asap, so I start getting back to normal.

I know you're correct. Hope you get better.

Mikegs96
On 5/17/2019 at 5:09 AM, Rezten said:

My taper was too quick and done at the advice of uneducated prescribers, and I was uneducated as well.  No, you should not do a quick taper like I did. My CNS has crashed, I am unable to work, i was bed bound for many months and still find it hard to function most days.  This has been living hell, as it is for most people going through this.

It is recommended that you taper 10% or less of the current dose a month and holding when necessary. Listen to your body.  There is information on the site about the best way to taper Effexor.  You can do a search if you havent already. The moderators can assist you as well.

I wish I knew then what I know now.  

On 5/16/2019 at 8:10 PM, Rezten said:

So does that mean it's impossible for me to recover now since I had two infusions while withdrawing? I was on psych meds since I was 11 while brain was still developing. So it seems kind of impossible to begin with. I'm 22. Should I just give up at this point? Or wait it out a few years and see if things get better. 

My sexual function is still really weird. Where sometimes my orgasms are close to normal but then they are non existent again. The only improvement I have seen so far is that I Dream again when I sleep sometimes. 

Still have intense depersonalization/derealization.

The last psych med I was on before doing the two infusions was an MAOI inhibitor called EMSam.

Rezten
15 minutes ago, Mikegs96 said:

does that mean it's impossible for me to recover now since I had two infusions while withdrawing? I was on psych meds since I was 11 while brain was still developing. So it seems kind of impossible to begin with. I'm 22. Should I just give up at this point? Or wait it out a few years and see if things get better. 

My sexual function is still really weird. Where sometimes my orgasms are close to normal but then they are non existent again. The only improvement I have seen so far is that I Dream again when I sleep sometimes. 

Still have intense depersonalization/derealization.

The last psych med I was on before doing the two infusions was an MAOI inhibitor called EMSam.

You absolutely can and will recover!  Do not give up.  Our CNS takes time to heal.  While I am still very symptomatic, I am much better than 6 months ago. Some days I'm in bed some days I'm running errands. Now, I always have symptoms of some kind, but some days are easier than others. As time goes on they are lessening and one day they will be gone.  I trust the Lord to get me through in the mean time . There are many success stories here and online of people who have recovered even after being on psyche drugs from a young age.  

You are young, you have a whole life ahead of you.  You can do this. Be kind to yourself.  Listen to your body.  I recommend going to Baylissa.com.  She went through years of WD but has completely healed. She now supports others in WD.

Mikegs96
16 minutes ago, Rezten said:

You absolutely can and will recover!  Do not give up.  Our CNS takes time to heal.  While I am still very symptomatic, I am much better than 6 months ago. Some days I'm in bed some days I'm running errands. Now, I always have symptoms of some kind, but some days are easier than others. As time goes on they are lessening and one day they will be gone.  I trust the Lord to get me through in the mean time . There are many success stories here and online of people who have recovered even after being on psyche drugs from a young age.  

You are young, you have a whole life ahead of you.  You can do this. Be kind to yourself.  Listen to your body.  I recommend going to Baylissa.com.  She went through years of WD but has completely healed. She now supports others in WD.

Ok thanks, I will keep all of that in mind and check out the website. Does sexual function eventually improve too?  Because sometimes they it's hard to tell if it is. Also have you heard of people that were on psych meds throughout childhood and teenage years and were able to recover?

Rezten
11 minutes ago, Mikegs96 said:

Does sexual function eventually improve too?  Because sometimes they it's hard to tell if it is. Also have you heard of people that were on psych meds throughout childhood and teenage years and were able to recover?

I am not an expert on this symptom, but as with other symptoms, they eventually fade away.  Im Sure as time goes on that one will too. And yes, I have read success stories of people on meds throughout childhood that have recovered. Your story is yours, you may or may not have similar symptoms as some one else. But what I have read by those who have experience, we all recover!  Check out the success stories of others on this site

Mikegs96
20 minutes ago, Rezten said:

I am not an expert on this symptom, but as with other symptoms, they eventually fade away.  Im Sure as time goes on that one will too. And yes, I have read success stories of people on meds throughout childhood that have recovered. Your story is yours, you may or may not have similar symptoms as some one else. But what I have read by those who have experience, we all recover!  Check out the success stories of others on this site

I definitely will! Sometimes it feels like there's not a lot of success stories considering how many people go through withdrawal. Last time I checked I think it was only four pages. But I have been reading them. I can't really find any that have EMSam in there recovery story

MikeyB

Has anyone here had any recent experience with IV ketamine therapy?

If so, was it helpful or harmful?