Dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness, rocking or swaying sensations

squirrel

2 hours ago, Bonzee said:

When I was younger before the medication I had the leveling off elevator that people describe. After that in college and now after the medication WD I have like the "floaty boat" feeling, which is made worse by head movement. I also have presumably low BP when changing positions (mostly from lying down to standing). I never had these while on the medication.

The low BP and floaty boat could be perceived as lightheadedness, but lightheadedness made worse with head movement is most likely vestibular in origin from what I've read...

So you don’t feel like you’re rocking/swaying on a boat when still or bouncing/dipping up and down when you walk? 

Any pulsating of the blood around the body? 

How long were you on the medication? What makes you think it’s Vestibular if stress kicked it off initially and meds make it go away?

7 minutes ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

So you don’t feel like you’re rocking/swaying on a boat when still or bouncing/dipping up and down when you walk? 

Any pulsating of the blood around the body? 

How long were you on the medication? What makes you think it’s Vestibular if stress kicked it off initially and meds make it go away?

I don't feel like I'm swaying, I feel like my head is light and any head movement makes it feel not oriented correctly, if that makes sense. Like, if I tilt my head to the side, as in the left side of my face points upward, I feel an exaggerated response to the movement. When I'm walking around I can feel off-kilter. Not extreme where I'm having to hold on to things, but enough where I can notice it, and sometimes feel a little clumsy. My ears have been checked out extensively before this medication and that was the reason I got on it, because the Neuro-Otologist wasn't seeing anything physical and presumably it was all psychological. I've had many scans including of my head and ear systems. 

I had the "bouncing" sensation, as explained in my last reply, in high school and thereabouts, but my dizziness changes to a more disequilibrium-type afterward. No real pulsating, but the WD has caused some tingling in my legs...nerve issues. Comes and goes...and I was on the medication for 3 years per my signature. You can research Chronic Subjective Dizziness, or Persistent Postural-Perceptual Dizziness, as it has been coined in the WHO. It's kicked off by a stressful event or series of events that cause dizziness, such as panic attacks, vestibular issues (migraine/neuritis/BPPV, etc.) or other provoking conditions, and the brain just simply doesn't recognize and process the sensory information normally again. I had pretty extensive problems with my ears...my right ear was constantly infected when I was younger and I had a tube and a perforation in that eardrum, which I had surgery for. So, CSD kicks in around that time and anxiety/panic occurs concurrently...and this causes the dizziness to persist indefinitely...the only relief I had was starting escitalopram, which reduced my symptoms almost 100%. Now, they are back, and I'm very sensitive, so they feel worse. The main treatment for CSD is SSRIs (as they are really the only thing that works right now), so I may be back on full dose eventually. Just can't live with constant dizziness like I used to, it causes a lot of anxiety.

Lexapro 10 MG 3 years on (Begin Summer 2014)

3 months taper duration (Begin taper Jan. 2018, end late March 2018.)

Reinstated 1MG liquid on April 9, 2018

Upped dose to 2.5 mg (2.5 ML) on April 12, 2018

Upped dose to 4mg on April 16, 2018

Upped dose to 5mg tablets on May 1, 2018

2 hours ago, Bonzee said:

I don't feel like I'm swaying, I feel like my head is light and any head movement makes it feel not oriented correctly, if that makes sense. Like, if I tilt my head to the side, as in the left side of my face points upward, I feel an exaggerated response to the movement. When I'm walking around I can feel off-kilter. Not extreme where I'm having to hold on to things, but enough where I can notice it, and sometimes feel a little clumsy. My ears have been checked out extensively before this medication and that was the reason I got on it, because the Neuro-Otologist wasn't seeing anything physical and presumably it was all psychological. I've had many scans including of my head and ear systems. 

I had the "bouncing" sensation, as explained in my last reply, in high school and thereabouts, but my dizziness changes to a more disequilibrium-type afterward. No real pulsating, but the WD has caused some tingling in my legs...nerve issues. Comes and goes...and I was on the medication for 3 years per my signature. You can research Chronic Subjective Dizziness, or Persistent Postural-Perceptual Dizziness, as it has been coined in the WHO. It's kicked off by a stressful event or series of events that cause dizziness, such as panic attacks, vestibular issues (migraine/neuritis/BPPV, etc.) or other provoking conditions, and the brain just simply doesn't recognize and process the sensory information normally again. I had pretty extensive problems with my ears...my right ear was constantly infected when I was younger and I had a tube and a perforation in that eardrum, which I had surgery for. So, CSD kicks in around that time and anxiety/panic occurs concurrently...and this causes the dizziness to persist indefinitely...the only relief I had was starting escitalopram, which reduced my symptoms almost 100%. Now, they are back, and I'm very sensitive, so they feel worse. The main treatment for CSD is SSRIs (as they are really the only thing that works right now), so I may be back on full dose eventually. Just can't live with constant dizziness like I used to, it causes a lot of anxiety.

Yeah I know all about PPPD. It’s the same as MdDS. MdDS can be triggered spontaneously by stress/anxiety. 

Ive no idea  if mine has been caused by withdrawal or anxiety. It started 5 months after I stopped my meds. Never had any issues on them or prior to that. But I did have a major panic attack and so I’ve been left with this. Have it near 3 years now. 

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, Bonzee said:

I’m a 22 year old male with these symptoms, been having them for years (ever since freshman year of High School). Once I started having panic attacks around that time, stressful situations triggered this sensation. I also had a lot of brain fog / derealization. Anyone else have derealization with this sensation? All of these symptoms of course cause a lot of anxiety. My anxiety got so bad to the point in freshman year of college I had to be put on an SSRI, escitalopram. I’m happy to say the dizziness subsided almost 100% and so did my anxiety. I’m currently in the process of weaning myself off the medication, but the withdrawal has been horrendous. Kind of a double-edged sword unfortunately. The medication helped so much, but it’s so hard to get off of once you feel you can manage your anxiety on your own.

I was off only for 10 days and now I reinstated half the dose I was at and all the dizzy symptoms have returned, but worse than before. Waiting to stabilize and see if I can either go back up to the same dosage, or if my nervous system is hypersensitive enough where I just have to get off it now. Not look forward to either approach, anybody who has maybe gone through something similar I’m all ears.

Evan

Hi, Evan.

As you can see further up this thread, IrishMonkey and I have discussed this quite a bit (as have others) and you are not alone.  Your story is very, very similar to mine.  I was triggered by something 30 years ago that caused the dizziness onset and after numerous tests and visits I was given a low dose of tranquilizer and ultimately an SSRI.  I had some minor dizzy breakthroughs but didn't have a major recurrence until 25+ years later at which point I decided to wean off the meds and I have been doing so for the past 5+ years.  The dizziness (and I believe you and IM (and I) all have the same general feelings, sensations, etc. but describe it somewhat differently because it is so subjective) returned over time and I am at a point now where it is with me most (if not all) of the time.  It waxes and wanes but never really goes fully away.  

If you look at anxiety websites (e.g. www.anxietycentre.com) you will see a lot of discussion of this very sensation as being evidence of a hyperstimulated nervous system and the only "cure" is to calm the system and try to avoid overreacting to the sensations.  That, of course, is a hell of a lot easier to say than do when it involves your general sense of balance.  

You might find this interesting for example:

See if this seems familiar and we can all discuss further.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Mine doesn’t correlate to head movements. But mine is generally the same as apace’s. 

I also rarely feel unsteady or ‘off balance’. Because my balance is perfect, it’s just the sensation of rocking on a boat. 

Mine is exactly like this guys. I’ve even made a video about mine when I got rid of it for 3 weeks but I was doing multiple things and I’ve no idea which worked. 

this is mine 

12 hours ago, apace41 said:

I watched several of the posted vlogger's videos and I agree with most of what she said, but I have it somewhat to a lesser degree. She seemed a pretty severe case, but I feel mostly the same symptoms. I have been recently having some autonomic problems as well...probably due to the anxiety. My legs (especially my right leg) feel like they are vibrating when I lay down for bed. I don't have to move them, but I feel the vibration. Also, my heart races when I get up from sleep, seems to be some autonomic problems creeping up along with the dizziness.

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, Bonzee said:

She seemed a pretty severe case, but I feel mostly the same symptoms

I think that's right but I feel pretty much like I'm in that "boat" right now.  The point was not to compare you to her but to let you know that people who are dealing with anxiety can have that symptom without any impact from meds.  I think that taking and withdrawing from the meds can stimulate our CNS is a way that creates this dizziness symptom (especially when you are prone to it).

Just wanted you to see that you are not alone.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thanks for posting her videos, I subscribed to her. She seems very informative. 🙂

• Altostrata changed the title to Dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness, rocking or swaying sensations
5 hours ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

Anyone get dizzy after travel? 2 hours in a car for instance makes me dizzy.

Yes. I have found Sea Bands have helped. They are not expensive and worth a try. To find out more about then, use your search engine. I use Google.

🌻

Effexor XL 2009-2012. CT 150mg Effexor XR  2012, Effexor XR  75mg  2012  then rapid taper to 0, Reinstated Effexor XR 13mg then updosed to 20mg, Tapered to 18mg Effexor XR 4/9/12, Off Effexor XL ?Reinstated  Effexor XL 150 mgs  August  2012, Crashed in November 2012, Prozac 40 mgs 2012 to Feb 2018, Buspar 60  mgs 2012-stopped 2015, Remeron 7.5 mgs as needed for sleep-stopped Feb 2017, Prozac 50 mgs Feb 2018 to March 2018, Lexapro 5 mgs March 18 2018 to May 17th 2018, Lexapro 2.5 mgs  May 18th to May 26th 2018, Prozac 10 mgs May 15th 2018, Prozac 5 mgs May 19th 2018 to current day May 28th 2018,  Xanax 0.25 mgs to 0.5 mgs daily for over 15 years. Increased Xanax to 1.5 mgs Sept 2012, Tapered Xanax to 0 mgs  May 2013.Reinstated Xanax Feb 2017 at 0.125 mgs as needed, Gradual increase of Xanax to 1.5 mgs daily till May 22nd 2018, Xanax 1.25 mgs daily. Holding

6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Yes. I have found Sea Bands have helped. They are not expensive and worth a try. To find out more about then, use your search engine. I use Google.

🌻

Hi, how long have you had this symptom? Are you dizzy throughout the day too, but travel just makes it worse when you stop? 

5 minutes ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

Hi, how long have you had this symptom? Are you dizzy throughout the day too, but travel just makes it worse when you stop? 

I had very bad dizziness/motion sickness when going from 5 mgs to 2.5 mg of Lexapro with no taper. The Sea Bands worked like a miracle with that. Now I have mild dizziness mainly in the morning and when driving. No constant dizziness anymore.

🌻 

Effexor XL 2009-2012. CT 150mg Effexor XR  2012, Effexor XR  75mg  2012  then rapid taper to 0, Reinstated Effexor XR 13mg then updosed to 20mg, Tapered to 18mg Effexor XR 4/9/12, Off Effexor XL ?Reinstated  Effexor XL 150 mgs  August  2012, Crashed in November 2012, Prozac 40 mgs 2012 to Feb 2018, Buspar 60  mgs 2012-stopped 2015, Remeron 7.5 mgs as needed for sleep-stopped Feb 2017, Prozac 50 mgs Feb 2018 to March 2018, Lexapro 5 mgs March 18 2018 to May 17th 2018, Lexapro 2.5 mgs  May 18th to May 26th 2018, Prozac 10 mgs May 15th 2018, Prozac 5 mgs May 19th 2018 to current day May 28th 2018,  Xanax 0.25 mgs to 0.5 mgs daily for over 15 years. Increased Xanax to 1.5 mgs Sept 2012, Tapered Xanax to 0 mgs  May 2013.Reinstated Xanax Feb 2017 at 0.125 mgs as needed, Gradual increase of Xanax to 1.5 mgs daily till May 22nd 2018, Xanax 1.25 mgs daily. Holding

Very strange. Im experiencing a worsening of dizziness/vertigo etc for a few months now just like Squirrel and im 6 years off too, just like she was. I pray to God this dizziness goes away it feels like im constantly rocking on a boat i so wish Squirrel would comment and let us know how she is doing i could use the encouragement

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:35 AM, IrishMonkey92 said:

Update: I tried the L-Theanine, and it’s not really doing much, and it may actually be making me worse. I’m crying a lot and thinking suicidal thoughts. 

My mind is constantly ruminating and chewing on the possibility of this being something else and not withdrawal - however I don’t really care what it is, just as long as it goes away! 

I’m glad that I mentioned above that I’ve been doing worse BEFORE trying the L-theanine. Because that makes me realise I was going to get worse anyway. 

Ive trialled out my change of career and drove a lot for 4 hours or so, and my god... it made everything 10x worse. I’m bouncing again and the sea saw floor walking is back. Has anyone experienced this with long car journeys? 

Can I get a confirmation that people feel better in a car with this? Worse after a long journey? And when sitting still you feel your whole body is pulsating like you’re on a water raft or body? 

Kalina are you healed? 

Having read through Irish's posts about this again, I realise I always feel out of sorts after car journeys which is why I dread going on them.

I definitely experience weird sensations, and unsteadiness after getting out of a car.  The more uncomfortable the car is, the worse it is.

I'd say this has been happening since I returned to the UK, so will be 2.5 years now.

Sitting down for too long causes "blood rushing to the head" and light-headedness.

Have never talked to the doctor about it, as I think its a WD thing.

All medical tests have been normal, and even a week ago after hitting tarmac at speed, all my stats were normal.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

On 6/21/2018 at 6:34 PM, Junglechicken said:

Having read through Irish's posts about this again, I realise I always feel out of sorts after car journeys which is why I dread going on them.

I definitely experience weird sensations, and unsteadiness after getting out of a car.  The more uncomfortable the car is, the worse it is.

I'd say this has been happening since I returned to the UK, so will be 2.5 years now.

Sitting down for too long causes "blood rushing to the head" and light-headedness.

Have never talked to the doctor about it, as I think its a WD thing.

All medical tests have been normal, and even a week ago after hitting tarmac at speed, all my stats were normal.

When did this start happening for you? What other symptoms do you have? 

On 6/20/2018 at 9:48 PM, Daisy said:

I had very bad dizziness/motion sickness when going from 5 mgs to 2.5 mg of Lexapro with no taper. The Sea Bands worked like a miracle with that. Now I have mild dizziness mainly in the morning and when driving. No constant dizziness anymore.

🌻

Have you had this checked by a doctor? Have you heard anyone with this symptom? 

@IrishMonkey92 I have had dizziness since my journey began. In fact, it is my main symptom and my most severe. Also, it was my very first symptom. I had terrible vertigo for several days when all of this began on June 2nd 2017. Since then, I am dizzy every day, most of the day. I have had 4, multiple days, vertigo attacks over this year. 

I think part of the dizziness is the anxiety but some of it from my cns not being balanced. It is annoying and scary. My balance is not at all affected so I can manage to continue on. I have a feeling that, since this was my first symptom, it is going to be the last to go. 

I have tried, meclizine and the patch behind your ear and neither work. I have not tried the bands. My dizziness actually is better when I drive. While the car is in moving, I don't feel the motion so much. 

How bad is your dizziness and is it all day?

Started Wellbutrin 300xl mid July, 2009. Stopped Wellbutrin 300xl cold turkey May 8, 2017

Started having symptoms started June 2, 2017. Started Wellbutrin 150xl July 7, 2017

Started Remeron 15mg August 15, 2017. Increased Remeron to 30mg October 4, 2017

Increased Wellbutrin to 300xl November 24, 2017. Lowered Wellbutrin 300xl back to 150xl January 8, 2018

Started weaning off of Remeron 30mg. Cut to 22.25mg January 11, 2018

Cut Remeron to 15mg January 18, 2018 Cut Remeron to 7.5mg January 25, 2018

Cut Remeron to 3.5mg January 30,2018. Stopped taking Remeron February 1, 2018

Currently taking: Fish Oil, Magnesium, Calcium, Vit D, Progesterone,

Hormone Replacement Pellets-Estrogen Testosterone 

45 minutes ago, mirage said:

@IrishMonkey92 I have had dizziness since my journey began. In fact, it is my main symptom and my most severe. Also, it was my very first symptom. I had terrible vertigo for several days when all of this began on June 2nd 2017. Since then, I am dizzy every day, most of the day. I have had 4, multiple days, vertigo attacks over this year. 

I think part of the dizziness is the anxiety but some of it from my cns not being balanced. It is annoying and scary. My balance is not at all affected so I can manage to continue on. I have a feeling that, since this was my first symptom, it is going to be the last to go. 

I have tried, meclizine and the patch behind your ear and neither work. I have not tried the bands. My dizziness actually is better when I drive. While the car is in moving, I don't feel the motion so much. 

How bad is your dizziness and is it all day?

@mirage I too had dizziness since my journey began. I’m still sceptical though as to whether withdrawal/meds are the cause of my issues though. Anxiety is most certainly a factor regardless of what it is, as I have definite symptoms of anxiety that can only be explained by anxiety. However that may be secondary and not primary to my original issue - dizziness. 

Well, I wouldn’t call it dizziness - mine is more of a rocking/swaying sensation. Most like being on a boat, or standing in the toilet in an airplane. You can’t see you’re moving, but you feel it. 

How soon after you stopped your meds did your dizziness begin? 

I don’t think I’ve ever had ‘vertigo’. From what I’ve been told vertigo is spinning. Which I don’t have an issue with. 

My balance is also quite good. I’m not sure what it was like prior to this onset of issues, as I never paid attention to it, nor tested it in anyway, so I’ve no real comparison. However for someone with potentially inner ear issues, I think it’s good and surprising. Though I’m told the eyes are also making up for other less stable mechanisms if there is a deficit there of some sort. 

Can you describe the patterns of your dizziness? What’s it feel like exactly? When is it better, when is it worse? What exacerbates it? How long have you had it? 

Mine seems nonexistent/minimal in the morning, I’ve had it 2.5 years, I’ve already detailed how it feels. It’s worse after exercise, and worse after car journeys - the longer the journey, the worse it is. Either my vision feels ‘off’, head is woozy or I feel like I’m bouncing, or rocking slightly as if I’m still in the car. My sensations are mostly gone while in motion in a car. 

I have to say my dizziness isn’t all that bad at baseline most days. I have varying sensations that could come under the  umbrella term of ‘dizziness’. There’s visual movements, hallucinations, then there’s internal sensations like I feel like I’m moving, rocking etc. Then there’s also sensations that I get sometimes when walking or standing close to say a sink or table where it might feel like I’m dipping up and down from the ground. 

The walking on a trampoline is not usually there anymore, the swaying comes and goes depending on how far I’ve travelled in the car (2 hours seems okay). The longer I go, the more it affects my vision, my bouncing sensation and rocking etc. If I stay in the house all day I could be pretty good - however, I also get this blood pulsating sensation around my body. It’s in sync with my heart beat, and it almost mimics being on a boat/raft at times or as if I’m sitting in a pool of water. So it’s quite difficult to differentiate between all them as I tend to cycle through them at any given time. 

I use to get terrible depressed and my anxiety was through the roof. But lately I’ve calmed down and tried to concentrate on what I have rather than not have - my health. But my god I miss the privilege of not having any issues in terms of dizziness. I often mourn my life prior to this all. 

Do you get worse after travel?  

@IrishMonkey92 My very first symptom was vertigo. It hit, out of no where. I was completely healthy and having a normal day. It was ealy afternoon and I was in the middle of my workout when the room just started spinning. Yes, vertigo is when everything spins. It is awful and makes you very nauseas. I have had 4 of these vertigo attacks since June of 2017 and they last for several days. That said, I have the dizziness, every day, all day. I too, feel like I am standing on a dock or rocking in a boat. What I have noticed is, it gets bad on days after I don't get much sleep. And, my sleep is still off due to the cns still being unstable. I, too, notice it to be worse after I work out. There are times I even feel a smidge floaty. I do wonder if it is due to anxiety and the, general unbalance, of our nervous systems? Mine has improved but it is not at all normal. I had no dizzy issues prior to this. I could go upside down, could spin and could go on carnival rides with no issues. 

I have had lots of tests. One in particular, was a 4 hour test with virtual reality goggles on and they put me through a series of positions to induce dizziness and vertigo. They also heated up my eardrums and then made them cold to try and induce symptoms. The tests is supposed to help with diagnosing vestibular disorders. The goggles have a camera in them and it photographs your eyes so they can see what the balance center of your inner ears are doing. I had a ct scan of my vestibular system as well to make sure there were no tumors. That was negative. I also did physical therapy to try and help with the dizziness. Did not help. All of this said, it has to be the withdrawal. 

I have traveled a few times by car, but just a couple of hours and I did fly back in September. However, I was still very ill when I did this so I couldn't even tell you if any of the travel made the dizziness worse. It was already so VERY bad then. I do have a trip planned in early August. I will be flying. I'm praying that I make some big strides between now and then so I can go on this trip and enjoy it. 

I am a little over a year into my journey and, certainly I have improved since this time last year, but I do have a ways to go but I will get there. I will include you in my prayers and one day, we will both get off of this dizzy ride. 

Started Wellbutrin 300xl mid July, 2009. Stopped Wellbutrin 300xl cold turkey May 8, 2017

Started having symptoms started June 2, 2017. Started Wellbutrin 150xl July 7, 2017

Started Remeron 15mg August 15, 2017. Increased Remeron to 30mg October 4, 2017

Increased Wellbutrin to 300xl November 24, 2017. Lowered Wellbutrin 300xl back to 150xl January 8, 2018

Started weaning off of Remeron 30mg. Cut to 22.25mg January 11, 2018

Cut Remeron to 15mg January 18, 2018 Cut Remeron to 7.5mg January 25, 2018

Cut Remeron to 3.5mg January 30,2018. Stopped taking Remeron February 1, 2018

Currently taking: Fish Oil, Magnesium, Calcium, Vit D, Progesterone,

Hormone Replacement Pellets-Estrogen Testosterone 

Irish,

I noticed it when we returned to live in the UK (2.5 yrs).

Im trying to think of other symptoms........

Hot days make car journeys worse, when I get out the car I feel faint with a pounding head (experienced that today).

Sometimes when seated, I'll feel as though I'm rocking forwards (at least it's my head rocking).....very strange.

Any activity that involves bending over, e.g gardening, I feel "off" when straightening back up again.....dizziness.  It's the blood rushing to the head thing again, but much, much worse.

If I think of anything else I'll update here.

Do these symptoms sound familiar to you?

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

I have started to have dizzy spells. I'm not sure it is WD though, in my case it may be allergies. It's quite disconcerting.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

7 hours ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

Have you had this checked by a doctor? Have you heard anyone with this symptom? 

Not with Lexapro. But I just got out of the hospital after having gone in a severe headache and N/V. I had a minor bleed into the frontal lobe of my brain. So there may have been something going on then that nobody thought to look for.

🌻

Dizzy club here! 2.5 ish years out! Floaty boaty was the worst for me! I've been pretty good for several months now though! I think this is lessening more and more for me now thankfully! 

Does anyone have ear pressure with this? This started up when dizziness did. My ears constantly have pressure and I need to manually pop my ears all day long. Hate it! 

Hang in there guys! We are healing slowly a day at a time and I truly believe we will all be healed of this! 

Current age - 29

At Ages 16- 20 Celexa 40 mg 

2014- September through February of 2016 ( 18 months) Celexa 20 mg

Tapered for Several months

Celexa free since February of 2016

• Moderator Emeritus
31 minutes ago, LilyBlueRose said:

Does anyone have ear pressure with this? This started up when dizziness did. My ears constantly have pressure and I need to manually pop my ears all day long. Hate it! 

See: ear-issues-blocked-pressure-tinnitus-congested-eustachian-tube-disfunction-etd

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

Anyone’s dizziness or swaying go away or settle when laying down

Yes.  For the most part, sitting or lying down don't trigger it for me.  Sometimes when it's really bad.  Mostly it's reserved for when I'm up walking.

Best,

Andy

My worst is when I first wake up and am walking. For safety reasons, I got a single pronged cane at the Good Will store. Since it is only temporary, I did not care what it looked like or that it was used. I think it cost me $2.98.

🌻

9 hours ago, apace41 said:

Yes.  For the most part, sitting or lying down don't trigger it for me.  Sometimes when it's really bad.  Mostly it's reserved for when I'm up walking.

I have been getting dizzy even when sitting. I don't notice it when lying down. I think it has passed for now.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

The only time I notice mine is laying down 

Current age - 29

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:53 PM, NoMeaning25 said:

Very strange. Im experiencing a worsening of dizziness/vertigo etc for a few months now just like Squirrel and im 6 years off too, just like she was. I pray to God this dizziness goes away it feels like im constantly rocking on a boat i so wish Squirrel would comment and let us know how she is doing i could use the encouragement

Hello NoMeaning - I was just reading here and came across you.  My God you have the exact symptoms I have and I am off 5.1 years...It just never ends - but I did have two windows this month - I have not had any for more than a year and the ones  I did have were very short lived.   I am back in this black wave again with all the symptoms you have.  I am so sorry you are struggling so much and I can solidly walk in your shoes.   I at least realise now that this is indeed withdrawals, and the anxiety and panic attacks go along with it because of the symptoms. 

Keep strong, have courage and hope.  I feel so terrible but still yesterday I went to the Bank, to the pet shop, to the Vet, to the fruit store to the bakery shop and the grocery store - all feeling so bad I cannot describe it, but I did it anyway - and each time I got in the car to go somewhere else I just cried - but no matter I went anyway.  I had to put all those groceries away, and freeze some, just kept on going and all the while my head was swimming and in a terrible state.  I face my fears every day but nothing changes.  I think if we just keep on persevering one day it will change.  Tomorrow I am going to the hair dressers - and all I can think about is how am I going to do this - when I know that I will do it.  But I will be in hell the whole time and have to hide the way I feel because I cannot make a fool of myself and lose it...I will do it - but I will be literally in hell. 

NoMeaning, look, I had two windows this month - never had any in more than a year -  thinking I will never get better, but you see - it does and will happen - I never thought it would - but it did....I hold on to that - so keep the faith - don't give up - just do what you have to do every day as if it were a normal day -  You and all here are in my thoughts and prayers .

You are not alone -  we are all in this together

Have high hopes like that little old Ant who thought he could move a rubber tree plant

Everyone knows an Ant, can<t move a rubber tree plant

But he had High hopes, he had high hopes

So any time we're feeling bad, stead of feeling sad

Just remember that Ant

Whoops there goes another rubber tree plant.

Love

Lee (f)

Zoloft started for 8 years - 150 mg capsules

Started tapering December 3, 2011,

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

While tapering WDS were tolerable

Off Zoloft debilitating WDS the worst starting around 6 months off

even worse after 18 months off

Now 35 months off - still in a terrible wave for months now.

I think I have something different to most here. 

Mine is almost absent when I lay down flat. I can feel it more when sitting upright. I get so much worse after travelling in a car for anything over 2 hours. Below 2 hours I’m usually fine. 

I definitely feel it when I am sitting upright as well! Not so much standing though, and definitely not much at all when in movement.  Laying down is the worst though, but mine may be worse due to pressure in my ears. 

Current age - 29

24 minutes ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

I think I have something different to most here. 

Mine is almost absent when I lay down flat. I can feel it more when sitting upright. I get so much worse after travelling in a car for anything over 2 hours. Below 2 hours I’m usually fine. 

Irish,

I have the same symptoms.

My ND said it was stress and of course WD.

JC

Major Life Events: 

10 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

Irish,

I have the same symptoms.

My ND said it was stress and of course WD.

JC

Have you had Vestibular testing? 

Yours went completely away for 2 years didn’t it? I can’t remember but did yours slowly go over the 4 years, or was one day was it just gone? 

5 minutes ago, IrishMonkey92 said:

Have you had Vestibular testing? 

Yours went completely away for 2 years didn’t it? I can’t remember but did yours slowly go over the 4 years, or was one day was it just gone? 

No I haven't been tested, and have never mentioned it to my GP.

Actually, it started 2.5 yrs ago when I moved back to the UK.  That's when I noticed it as a symptom.

Major Life Events: 

1 minute ago, Junglechicken said:

No I haven't been tested, and have never mentioned it to my GP.

Actually, it started 2.5 yrs ago when I moved back to the UK.  That's when I noticed it as a symptom.

Was that when you got off the plane? If so that sounds like mal de Debarquement syndrome 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy