squirrel

Dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness, rocking or swaying sensations

apace41
2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

While vertigo can be a withdrawal symptom, I recently had a bout of vertigo that seems to be due to a common inner ear problem that can come and go, especially in older people.

In that particular case, Alto, where the cause of the vertigo is BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo), the so-called Epley Maneuver (which is what the video demonstrates) can provide instantaneous relief.  If only all vertigo were so simple.  There are a wide variety of dizziness maladies some of which create spinning sensations and others of which create "floating" or "walking on a trampoline" sensations.  Still other dizziness is a migraine variant which makes it very difficult to treat.  Of course, dizziness is a subjective symptom so how the sufferer describes it can be critical to the treatment that is given.  The most recent entry into the world of dizziness is PPPD (persistent postural perceptual dizziness) which seems to be a mismatch between inputs and outputs from the brain and is a purely subjective issue (one that is closely tied to anxiety).  

Some of these symptoms can well be triggered by withdrawal, others can be independent of it.  I would say, from years of personal challenge with this, that figuring out what is what is not an easy feat.  People who are NOT in withdrawal can take years to get a diagnosis in the dizziness arena.  Withdrawal only makes it that much more confusing.

Ironically, or not so much, the first line of treatment for many of these balance disorders is... antidepressants (usually in low dose) with SSRIs being a frequent "go to" drug and one of the top doctors in this space a strong proponent of Effexor as the first line treatment.  Can't make this stuff up.

Best,

Andy

Altostrata

That is true, @apace41. I mention my experience only for those who might want to try a relatively easy and harmless maneuver that can help. It's not going to work for everyone and probably won't work for withdrawal-related vertigo. (The Epley maneuver is different; there are a half-dozen of these positional treatments. In the video, the doctor says if her "half-somersault" doesn't work, go to your doctor to have Epley, etc. applied.)

But it is possible that some of our members who experience dizziness coincidentally have benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, a common age-related condition.

apace41
2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

But it is possible that some of our members who experience dizziness coincidentally have benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, a common age-related condition.

Agreed, Alto.  Wasn't intending to be confrontational.  I'm very hypersensitive to the dizziness issue because of years of struggle.

It's a difficult symptom and is very hard to understand.

Best,

Andy