pillprob: My Story

pillprob

Thank you Clearday and MammaP . Your thoughts help me. Thanks again

Started Paxil  for major depression at around 25. Up to 60 mg fast.

Started weening at around 22nd year on it. Was cutting tiny bits on a very accurate pharmacy scale weekly and sometimes by weekly. Took around a year and a half.

When I got to 10 mg, I tapered off of that in about 7 or 8 weeks. Too fast

Stopped Paxil Oct 17 2014

At approximately six months off Paxil after a short course of antibiotics, developed major panic anxiety attacks.

Started taking 1 mg of Ativan for about 3 weeks for this.

Then on forth week tried to take Ativan ever other day or every two days. Stated experiencing withdrawal. Now I am trying to stabilize on .75, by taking .25 every 8 hours (.25 at 7am, .25 at 3pm .25 11pm)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pillprob

• btdt

• Skyler

• Petunia

Top Posters In This Topic

I have started to become very terrified.

I have started to believe that because I am now on a small dose of Ativan (.75 a day divided into three doses) I will never experience any windows from the Paxil that I have been off of for over seven months until I am completely off of the Ativan.

I feel like all my effort and time of being off Paxil is being ruined and I am prolonging my suffering by being on the Ativan Please help.

Started weening at around 22nd year on it. Was cutting tiny bits on a very accurate pharmacy scale weekly and sometimes by weekly. Took around a year and a half.

At approximately six months off Paxil after a short course of antibiotics, developed major panic anxiety attacks.

Then on forth week tried to take Ativan ever other day or every two days. Stated experiencing withdrawal. Now I am trying to stabilize on .75, by taking .25 every 8 hours (.25 at 7am, .25 at 3pm .25 11pm)

Doesn't the "real" healing occur only after a person is completely drug free and I am really just prolonging my healing?

Just reread all your sincere, genuine posts, Clearday, fresh, MammaP,  Skyler, Petunia, etc

I thank you all so very much. This is so very difficult. I was once such a giver in my life and I feel now like I have become a big taker of everyone's time and energy. I want so bad to be like I once was. I am so sorry

Pillprob

As clear day says you write very well.

I really relate to what you say. I have never managed very well with work due to anxiety, depression etc.

I left my last job in October due to w/d - a part-time cleaning job. I have only done p/time cleaning jobs for years due to difficulty in concentration and difficulty in dealing with the public. But I've hated the jobs..with fatigue it was very very difficult and I just resented and was very angry at the fact that I couldn't manage anything that I would like better. I used to do support work for adults with disabilities and I worked with the elderly. But I've totally lost my confidence in doing anything like this, for now.

Right now, on my better days, I don't know where to start. I still don't think I could go back to work just now as I'm totally floored on my really bad days.

Clear day is right. You sound like a good person. Really, I think this is the main thing that matters in life. We could be doing worse, much much worse. But we are not. We are just trying to survive something difficult.

I really get the lack of motivation. It's awful and makes me feel like a bad person too.

Things seem very tough for you right now. But we keep going to better days and better times.

Keep writing and talking here. I really relate to what you say.

Best wishes.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

Doesn't the "real" healing occur only after a person is completely drug free and I am really just prolonging my healing?

You are healing from paxil and stabilizing on Ativan. When you are stable enough, you will start tapering from Ativan and then you will be healing from that too. Please keep re-reading through your threads, it will help you to understand.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

This is a really tough time for you - anyone who's been through it understands that..

The fear is part of withdrawal thinking - every concern can become magnified and seem like giant problems.

Every decision is agonizing , and we constantly doubt ourselves.

This is probably a good time to focus on developing some coping strategies for taking control of your thoughts.

Look in the Symptoms and Self Care section for ideas ( I started coloring in mandalas online , and the concentration it involves

helps focus my thoughts).  

What things do you do now that help when you're extremely anxious?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

You are all so kind. I feel so awful. I am so sad and anxious. I wish I could offer you all something for all your efforts.

Don't worry. You can help others when your better. Don't worry about that just now xxx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Don't worry about the Ativan. 

Years ago, I took Xanax daily during protracted Prozac WD. I recovered.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and your recovery will take time also. Recovery should be carried out in a simple, slow, stable fashion.

Your body will continue to adjust to life without Paxil with or without the Ativan.

When the time is right, you can do a slow taper off Ativan.

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Dear Clearday and LoveandLight. I dearly love you both and thank you for your kind words once again .

Both of you made me feel so not alone. You are few and far between in this mixed up world. I  am so glad, clearday that you mentioned the Ativan thing because this has been consuming my thoughts. Thanks.

Here is something else that has been pure torture for me that I see might be a problem for some of you.

At about 3 months out, I developed the frequent urge to urinate. All tests were negative. Went as far as a CT scan of the abdomen/pelvis, which I was totally against. Nothing found.

I still went on an antibiotic because of an enlarged prostate diagnosis, regardless of the tests all being negative. At first, I tried to beat this infection with every natural alternative and nothing worked.

Then as a last resort I took the antibiotic and on the eighth day, it sent me into the beginning of several horrible panic/anxiety attacks. I stopped the antibiotic and continued with about 3 bulbs of garlic, twice a day.

This pretty much took it away for a while but now it seems to be coming back and is pretty bad some days. I sure hope this is another nasty part of withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm afraid it is pillprob , but as withdrawal symptoms go , frequent urination is a nuisance and nothing to be afraid of.

There's a thread in Symptoms and Self care called "Urination and Bladder Issues - Male and Female" that you should read.

I've had many periods over the years where my continuous need to pee very much influenced where I could go - there had to

be bathrooms nearby. I kept a record for 3 days about 8 months ago and went an average of 22 times every 24 hours.

Now that I'm stable and doing well , it's much less of a concern.

If you want to search for a particular term or symptom , try doing a search with this site name and the term in google , and you'll

get links to current threads.

Try not to be worried about peeing - you need to drink a lot of fluids  during withdrawal so don't skimp on the liquids.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks Fresh.

I drink close to a half gallon of water a day on the days that I get to the gym which is about 3 or 4 week but it still gets the best of me on some days.

I am really knowledgeable with natural remedies with about 36 years experience with holistic medicine and this symptom still kicks my butt. These pills are nothing short of evil.

I hope it clears up and it's not that I am afraid of it. To me it is very annoying and just adds to the torture of withdrawal and anxiety.

Also, I have already read the entire section you mentioned. Thank you.

Ok so here I go again, as the OCD/anxiety is attacking me.

I think it was the last two days of attempting to go back on fish oil, as I feel it's very important for healing but it is messing with me. It's like I have a bit of clarity mixed with anxiety.

So I'm starting to obsess about this Ativan situation. I am writing this to clearday, petunia, mammaP, fresh, skyler, Loveandlight. 

Dear clearday....you mentioned that you took xanax to buffer your paxil taper and you recovered.

I do believe that but what I am concerned about is this. While I'm withdrawing from Paxil and getting close to eight months out, I will be continuing on my .75 dose of Ativan to"stabilize" and this will hopefully get me through the worst next couple of months of the horrific paxil withdrawal.

So let's just say that after three months of staying on .75 Ativan, I feel I could start to taper the ativan. What is this going to be like? Another long road of hell?

I still get this strong fearful feeling that all the time that I continue to take Ativan over the next two or three months, my GABA receptors, which from what I have learned is the primary part of the brain that is being modified by Ativan, is really not being given a rest as I continue to feed it with the Ativan.

I know what a few of you said about me continuing to heal from paxil while I take this "low" dose (is it really low? Is there a safe low dose for this garbage?) but as my anxiety takes hold, I am once again in fear because it just makes sense to me that my GABA is being poisoned instead of being able to benefit from "drug free" time.

I hope that no one will judge me for going to another site for increasing my knowledge about benzos because I did. What I gather is that allot of these people that have success and get to where they feel they are for the most part recovered, took place after they were completely off of the benzos for at least a year or longer in a lot of cases.

Just wondering if this is what I might be looking at for the future. I'm wondering if I will need to go through another, additional withdrawal from the ativan taper and am I really capable of ever beginning to experience any genuine windows while I am stuck on this benzo? Sorry for the OCD

It's not OCD, you're just trying to figure out what's best for your recovery, and you have legitimate questions.

You already said that when you reduced Ativan to every other day, you began getting Ativan withdrawal.

So in the future if you want to reduce Ativan WD symptoms, best to stabilize on Ativan and then do slow taper.

You ask if your eventual taper off Ativan will "be hell", you won't know until you begin the slow taper. 

I never had problems getting off small amounts of benzos, but that's just me. Listen to the benzo experts on this, then decide for yourself what you want to do.

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

To Petunia and Whoopie

I was on 60 mgs Paxil. I was also taking Ativan as needed and five or more years ago i was on Lithium off and on. I am not bipolar at all.

The last five years of my drug use was only Paxil and I withdrew over a two year period weighing out very small little chips with an 800 dollar pharmacy scale I bought for the accuracy and sensitivity for the tiny dose range.

The mistake i may have made was to speed up the taper on the last 10 mgs. and I should have slowed it down to several more weeks which I did not do and I kind of "jumped off" with some quick larger doses. At least I didn't CT like some of the people on here. Did they not survive? Please let me know. Thank you both.

I got to this post and wanted to say I did a ct and I did survive :) just so you know I was on Effexor last.... 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Ok I have read it all and would like to add one thing here that I think you may find helpful... deep relaxation  there has to be a thread on it and i will bet there are some good videos on Utube as there is where I watch them.  A lot of worrying goes on in wd that is the nature of the it... getting to a deep state of relaxation is what helped me calm the racing brain and I swear this is the state the body heals in... the more you do it the better it works. I set up times in the day and would listen to a relaxation video .. it use to be just ocean sounds but I change around now. 

I wish you peace

ps 

I read you had to take an antibiotic for a possible infection some antibiotics react on us when we are in wd so if it you have to take another please read about which ones are less likely to be a problem.  it is on her some place

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

Thank you so much for your input btdt. I am definitely going on you tube and find an Ocean sound audio

Just my 2 cents, I have really only ever been on 10 mg. Paxil and did 1 month tapers of of it a few times with horrible results. I was actually off of this crap in 08 for six months and had the urination thing but was feeling great. Went to doctor and was gives Levaquin for a suspected prostate infection which after a week completely flipped me out with not a wink of sleep for a week and horrific anxiety. Went back to doc. And he said " you need to be on Paxil" , well the only other time I felt like that was when a antibiotic was given to me for an infection 5 years before and I asked what it was and he told me he gave me levaquin all those years ago, this is when I realized after NEVER having an emotional problem my 33 years prior , it was the antibiotics flipping me out. Now I was stuck on Paxil due to this floxing ( what it is called when poisoned by fluoroquinolone antibiotic ). Stay FAR away from antibiotics during this time. I believe amoxicillin is ok and some other older weaker ones like the one you get for Lyme disease. I experienced all you have on my rapid wean from 10 mg. and each time I did it I felt worse. Finally I took 15 months to wean off and found the last 2.85 mg was the worst and struggled through for 8 months with miniscule crumbs of Paxil and finished 6 weeks ago and am doing really well. That last little bit was real tough so what you are feeling is def due to that rapid taper off of a so called "untheraputic dose". I am only now starting to get my motivation back for the things I once enjoyed , but it is fleeting at times. Your lack of motivation for work is similar to mine for hobbies and other joys. Having 3 kids and a wife ,house , college and all the rest of things I was forced to work a very physically demanding job with mostly 2-4 hours of sleep. BUT, I believe this helps withdrawal ALOT as it keeps you busy and gets you out of the house which I have found is the best thing to do and believe me 85%of the time I could barely do it. So if your back is not too bad and you can actually work, I say jump in and keep busy even if part time at a Home Depot or something just to get you out and about. So many days I would stare out the window and watch everyone else outside and couldn't figure out why I wanted no part of it anymore and now weaning off and recovering I can see the drugs took it all away slowly over ten years. You will get it back but I believe the anhedonia is the most stubborn thing to leave (aside from insomnia). Hang in there and unless you are gonna die and they actually took a culture, DO NOT take powerful antibiotics now. Just my 2 cents.

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

PLEASE, PLEASE help.

I am in a hopeless place again.

How can I ever begin to recover when I am living with and taking care of an irritable wife that has advanced Multiple Sclerosis, almost fully crippled and has no understanding of what protracted withdrawal is?

The few times that I feel a bit of relief, I am bombarded by a pessimistic woman who keeps me down in the dumps with her illness and attitude.

When we have a disagreement and it flares up a bit, I feel like my very sensitive nervous system takes a huge jolt that I am not able to recover from and it has a residual lasting effect that makes me feel like I had a large setback and I start to get very depressed and anxious.

Can anyone relate to this? Am I really having a real setback?

• Moderator Emeritus

It's not a permanent setback , it's part of what you have to deal with in your individual circumstance (which must not

be easy even when you are well).

People who live with partners or children all find they are triggered by things they used to handle better. You're right , 

withdrawal makes us very sensitive and each bump can feel like an assault.

I live on my own , and that had it's own problems , so I've come to believe there isn't an ideal situation to go through

this process - each has it's own challenges.

Are you able to engage any extra home services (shopping , cleaning , meal preparation) for the next few months?  This

would help take the pressure off and change the dynamic at home , to give you both a break.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

DLB that was the same antibiotic I was put on after a car accident in 2012 things got a lot worse for me but it was hard to sort out what the cause was I am sure it did not help me much I went back and had it changed to a different drug after 2 or 3 days no more of that for me. Like I needed more crap some of these drugs need to go. 

Had a car accident in 85

PLEASE, PLEASE help.

I am in a hopeless place again.

How can I ever begin to recover when I am living with and taking care of an irritable wife that has advanced Multiple Sclerosis, almost fully crippled and has no understanding of what protracted withdrawal is?

The few times that I feel a bit of relief, I am bombarded by a pessimistic woman who keeps me down in the dumps with her illness and attitude.

When we have a disagreement and it flares up a bit, I feel like my very sensitive nervous system takes a huge jolt that I am not able to recover from and it has a residual lasting effect that makes me feel like I had a large setback and I start to get very depressed and anxious.

Can anyone relate to this? Am I really having a real setback?

I wondered this too as I had some mayor stuff go down the first year of wd big things.  I find it odd to think about hard to think about. When your up to it I think all of Fresh's ideas are right get as much help and free time as you can.  Ask family to come and visit so you can go out.  Is you wife able to stay on her own ever... I cared for my mother when she had cancer I am not sure if this is the same or not but that was the reason I was moved from amitriptyline for treating fibro to zoloft - the run your car into cement drug or that is what it was for me. I could not leave her alone in part because she did not want me to she was frightened and because I wanted to be with her.  Still I was not in wd and when I think how hard that would be I think take as many breaks as you can get to keep as stable as you can.  I don't know much about MS but I know it is progressive and a lot of your situation would depend on what stage she was in.  Since you say she does not understand wd it much be quite advance and she does not mean to set you off I know you know that ... so getting breaks is the best thing I can think of.  I had a couple of visits from other family who said just go and do something ... have a break. I went... and it made all the difference. 

We all have to make concessions for those we love and tho it feels like we are set back I doubt we are in a very big way still better to avoid it if you can.  Getting back to level asap is a good thing that is why we have a self care page things there help... lots of things help ocean cds heating pads quiet walks in the woods whatever soothes you. 

I wish you peace

Had a car accident in 85

Thank you fresh and btdt. You're very kind

I don't see how it is possible to continue and endure the level of anxiety I have. It feels like it will never end. Am I stabilizing on .75 ativan or is it just making things worse?

This is terrible. I'm starting to think my body is screaming for a high dose of ativan. Is this possible? Please help.

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't see how it is possible to continue and endure the level of anxiety I have. It feels like it will never end. Am I stabilizing on .75 ativan or is it just making things worse?

This is terrible. I'm starting to think my body is screaming for a high dose of ativan. Is this possible? Please help.

Pillprob,  this will not be want you want to hear but its the best advice I can give you.   Invest as much time and energy as possible learning how to manage your thoughts.  Your thoughts feed your anxiety which feeds your thoughts which feeds your anxiety ....   Only you can disrupt this by practicing detachment.  Part of why you are having these kind of thoughts is because you are invested in the idea of a quick fix in the form of a pill.   That thinking is what got many of us in this situation.   Stop investing in this.  Put your thoughts back in their box.   Say to yourself over and over, just relax, its the withdrawal talking, its not real.   This will give you some hope of stabalising at which point you will experience a lessening of symptoms

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

No dalsanan. You are very correct I needed to here this. It's just easier said than done. Thank you so much.

• Moderator Emeritus

Re  post 43 above:   what are some things you can do to prevent or manage intense anxiety?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

I am very confused. Besides the post acute withdrawal I am going through, I have other problems that were in my life before I started the medicine that I never really took care of.

I guess you could say that instead of dealing with them in a mature way, I pushed them away and chose to take pills. This I guess was the easy way out. Now I'm withdrawing and I feel like this "unfinished business" is feeding my depression and anxiety.

I'm trying to figure out if this is keeping me from recovering? I plan to deal with these issues and get them ironed out but do I need to start now in order to ever get relief or recovery?

It has become a regular daily thing for me to dwell on these things and then start to believe that the reason I am not feeling like I'm recovering is because I still have these issues on the back burner that I never fully dealt with. Is this the withdrawal talking?

Part of me says I need to deal with these things ASAP if I truly want to heal and part of me says I need to heal neurologically first so I am better equipped to deal with these things. This is truly driving me crazy.

You might ask, what are these issues you speak of? My answer is, things such as possibly some miscommunications with my family. Maybe there has been some loss of communication with my wife as the years went by while I was in a medicated fog and she became ill with her disease of Multiple Sclerosis.

There were many times when bad words or feelings were exchanged in the midst of both our illnesses.

I have not worked in twenty years so I have lost my sense of purpose and worth as a human being. I feel that these and other issues are feeding my illness and are getting in the way of my recovery.

At the same time I feel like I am too ill to tackle these issues. Is this the time for more psychotherapy, which I sure have had my fair share of. I feel stuck.

I want to try and relax and let my nervous system heal but there is a guilty voice in my mind telling me that I am being lazy and I should be making an effort to straighten these things out RIGHT NOW OR ASAP. Maybe these things are impeding my recovery.

As I sit here and type this, I am anxious and depressed and tears roll down my face. Is this withdrawal or is this unfinished business. Is this repressed emotions? Are these unexpressed emotions keeping me from healing?

Or maybe it's a combination of both. I would like to believe that it is withdrawal and leave it there for now but am I being truthful with myself? Any thoughts?

• Moderator Emeritus

You have a dysregulated nervous system. In that context it's not possible to tell what is what. Your best option is to manage your thoughts a feelings so as to not add stress to your system. This relentless search for answers isn't helping. Often doing nothing is doing something from a healing perspective. You need to be as gentle as you can on yourself at this point , wait till your system stabilised and then listen to your body about next steps.

The intensity you are bringing to the question of what might be hindering your recovery is probably the biggest thing that's hindering your recovery. Learn to let go

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thank you so much dalsaan. It's answers like these that keep me going.

I am feeling very desperate and suicidal. I see there is hot lines but these people are probably going to tell me to get back on meds. I've been getting pressure by alot of people to get back on meds. I'm wondering if I should. I am feeling terrible. This withdrawal is horrible and I am suffering bad

Could you reinstate a small dose..? .5mg or 1mg..

Sorry you feel like this..I'm right there with you!

I am feeling very desperate and suicidal. I see there is hot lines but these people are probably going to tell me to get back on meds. I've been getting pressure by alot of people to get back on meds. I'm wondering if I should. I am feeling terrible. This withdrawal is horrible and I am suffering bad

I have used hotlines many times when I was going on and off meds a lot I did not know there was such a thing as wd and the crap usually hit the fan so far away from getting off meds it never crossed my mind.  I don't know how it is these days but when I called I never talked about medication at all... I talked about me and what I was feeling ect... 

If you want to call call ... where I live it is all anonymous and they have helped me a lot in the past often I just needed to get thru a rough patch they were good for that piece of time. 

I wish you peace

Had a car accident in 85

At the end of the day your the only one who get to decide... but I am rooting for you peace

Had a car accident in 85