pancakehero: Off of Paxil after severe Postpartum Anxiety/OCD/Insomnia...Experiencing relapse of symptoms. What to do?

PancakeHero

Hi all,

I'm so happy I found this site! After experiencing absolutely horrible anxiety/OCD and extreme insomnia (literally didn't sleep a second for more than a week), I was put on Paxil 5mg and Trazodone + Ativan to help me sleep. I was able to get off the Ativan quite quickly and weaned the Trazodone down to the lowest dose (50). 

After a few months on that, I decided with my psychiatrist that it was time to wean off the Paxil. I did a month at .25 mg and had no problems so I thought it'd be easy to go completely off.

Not the case at all! It's been 5.5 weeks now and all of my anxiety/OCD and insomnia are back. I'm feeling so hurt, disappointed, confused, and just plain sad. My psych OKed going back on the Ativan + 150mg of the Trazodone.

I have an appointment with her Monday to discuss going back on an SSRI.

I would love some advice on this. How long to ride this low wave before going back on something? Since I'm off, is it best to stay off? The Paxil really did help but I'm proud of myself for being off, so should I ride this low wave? How long do these symptoms last, in everyone's opinion?

Just looking for support and encouragement. I'm so thankful this site and you all exist!

8/14: Postpartum Anxiety/OCD/Insomnia breakdown

9/14: 5mg Paxil; 150mg Trazodone; .5mg Ativan

12/14: 5mg Paxil; 100mg Trazodone

3/15: 5mg Paxil; 50mg Trazodone

4/15: 2.25mg Paxil; 50mg Trazodone

Current: Off of Paxil; Relapse symptoms; back up to 150mg Trazodone and .5-1mg Ativan to sleep

• Administrator

Welcome, pancake.

Did you go from 5mg Paxil to .25mg Paxil? Did you use the liquid? Do you have any left?

Rather than leap to increasing trazodone, if I were you, I'd reinstate Paxil at .25mg to start.

It's possible you have withdrawal syndrome from going off Paxil too fast. See

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks! Woops, I guess I meant 2.25. I cut the 5mg pills in half for a month. This worked really well for me so I thought it'd be easy to go off. Do you think I should talk to my doc about going back on 2.25? I have an appointment with her on Monday. I think she was going to recommend going on Lexapro (bc I'm of child-bearing age and want to have a kid in another 2 years). She is very open to my input. What's the best course of action?

Current: Off of Paxil; Relapse symptoms; back up to 150mg Trazodone and .5-1mg Ativan to sleep

• Administrator

Please read the links above.

Do you have any tablets left?

Ask your doctor for Paxil liquid. This will enable you to take a small amount. I might try 2mg to start.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks Altostrata. I am currently reading all the links above. I don't have any tablets left but I am going to see the psych on Monday. I will ask her for the liquid and continue hopefully reducing.

Basically I have three options:

1. Go on a smaller dose of liquid Paxil (eg: 2.25 again) and wean off over the next year

2. Go on Lexapro or Celexa indefinitely (through my next pregnancy/childbirth which will likely be in 2 years) and then wean off of that in a few years VERY slowly

3. Stay off of SSRIs altogether and seek out herbal supplements / up my sleep meds to get me through the insomnia symptoms

I'm looking for insight on what would be best. I know in the end it's up to me but I'd love some opinions since it's so confusing to know what to do.

• Administrator

We're all about going off drugs here, and we can't recommend any to switch to.

All psychiatric drugs are somewhat of a risk to the fetus.

I think you need to look deeper into post-partum conditions. First of all, I believe hormonal disregulation for some time after birth is normal, particularly post-partum insomnia. It's only fairly recently that it's been declared a psychiatric disorder, and is vastly overdiagnosed -- as most psychiatric conditions are -- for the purpose of prescribing drugs.

I also believe that it's not a lifetime condition and does not call for lifetime medication. But I'm not an expert on post-partum conditions. Do your research and see where you fall. Please share what you find with the community, in the Symptoms forum.