Things that caused "activation" or withdrawal symptoms

SquirrellyGirl

15 minutes ago, Prozack said:

However, I also had shorten breath every-time I ate wheat. However, just wheat from biodynamic agriculture is well tolerated by me. Organic is not enough. Have you tried any organic or biodynamic wheat? I don't say that gluten can't be the issue, but, as you mentioned, it could be pesticide.

It's definitely gluten, or something gluten-adjacent. My gastroenterologist (I had an endoscopy) says they still aren't sure what causes the gluten sensitivity. In this case he thinks I may have always been slightly intolerant, but withdrawal has increased inflammation in my body/gut and so made it much worse.

It's so bizarre. If I ingest any gluten, I'll feel fine. Then exactly an hour later my heart rate will suddenly increase, I'll get really hot, anxious and (very) irritable. It also gives me a headche and stuffy nose and insomnia that night. It takes around 48 hours to fade.

On the bright side, at least cutting out gluten means I'm eating a lot healthier now!

Oct 2018 - Jun 2020: 10 mg per day generic Escitalopram in pill form.

Jul 2020 - Aug 2020: Switched to 9 mg per day of Cipralex drops to aid tapering.

Sep 2020 - Oct 2020: Taper to 8 mg.

Nov 2020 - Dec 2020: Taper to 7 mg.

Jan 2021 - Feb 2021: Taper to 6 mg.

Mar 2021 - Apr 2021: Taper to 5 mg.

May 2021 - Jun 2021: Taper to 4 mg.

Jul 2021 - Sep 2021: Taper to 3 mg.

Sep 2021 - Jan 2022: Taper to 2 mg.

Jan 2022: Stopped taking altogether.

On 3/18/2024 at 6:52 PM, jon1 said:

The only thing that helps is eating wholesome, healthy, nutritious food, and - most importantly - time.

Pretty much, and even that is only apparent after plenty of time. I only started noticing the first consistent improvements maybe 6 months off all drugs. Now it has been a year and things look better but... man, agitation/activation is still a constant bother. It goes from mild to moderate, but I can count with one hand how many times it has been 0.

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy