AmyN: Quit Lexapro 20 mg cold turkey 6 days ago

AmyN

Hi all!  I know many of you will jump on here and tell me that quitting cold turkey is a bad idea!  You may be right!!  So, here is my story.  I started on Lexapro, 10 mg. about 15 years ago fro anxiety/depression.  Eventually, that dosage was increased to 20 mg.  I have been doing spiritual work and healing in my life recently.  When I ran out of my prescription, I had an overwhelming urge to quit the stuff altogether.  I felt like I was tired of poisoning my body, if anyone can relate to that.  Also, I realized that, while Lexapro tended to help with depression/anxiety, it also had an overall numbing effect on me.  I felt like I wanted "myself" back.  I am a very sensitive person, but along with that come gifts!  I don't want those squelched/suppressed for the rest of my life! I am a writer and I want to feel things and regain my desire and drive to write.  Also, since quitting, it does feel like my sex drive is returning, which is a bonus for my marriage!

I did go through one day of severe depression/suicidal thoughts.  That got better the very next day and I haven't had it since.  What I have been dealing with lately were brain zaps (although infrequent compared to times I've tried to quit in the past), and mostly, extreme spaciness/forgetfulness!!!  This is driving me nuts!! I dropped my cell phone into the bath (I think it'll recover), I forget where I put things, etc. etc.  It's been about 6 days now and I feel a little better every day.  I am determined to get off this stuff and don't really want to go back onto a lower dose because I feel like that would set me back!

My husband is pretty understanding but he is worried about the safety of quitting cold turkey. I just don't want to be lured into going back onto the drug like I have in the past.

My regiment involves fish oil, an advocate supplement, activated charcoal and I am doing a detox.  Will that help get this gunk out of my system faster?  First, I drank water mixed with a few tsp of epsom salts and this worked as a laxative.  Now, I am taking pills from a store-bought "detox" program.  I also take epsom salts/apple cider vinegar baths.

Today, I feel better than I did yesterday.  Anyway, can anyone tell me how long the physical withdrawals last, anyway?  We are going on an incredible road trip/vacation in a few weeks and I want to be better by then!  I know the process can probably take a very long time, but can I expect to "stabilize" any time soon?

I am developing a hatred for pharmaceutical companies!!  Anyway, that's another topic for another time.  Thanks all!  I can't wait to hear what you have to say!

I took 20 mg. of Lexapro for approximately 15 years, and am a week into attempting to quit cold turkey. Went cold turkey approximately 3/3/16.  I attempted cold turkey in the past and ended up back on the medication.  When I started taking the drug, I was at 10 mg, which was increased to 20. 3/15 reinstated, started at approx. 2.5 mg.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AmyN

• Fresh

• ChessieCat

• manymoretodays

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I forgot (see, I told you I'm forgetful!! AAH, it's driving me nuts!)  I also workout fairly regularly!  A little about me: I have two kids, ages 12 and 9, and I homeschool them.

I took 20 mg. of Lexapro for approximately 15 years, and am a week into attempting to quit cold turkey. Went cold turkey approximately 3/3/16.  I attempted cold turkey in the past and ended up back on the medication.  When I started taking the drug, I was at 10 mg, which was increased to 20. 3/15 reinstated, started at approx. 2.5 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Amy and welcome to SA,

Let me say you have come to the right place.  This site is full of excellent information and the members are very supportive and the voluntary staff are very knowledgeable.  Nobody can "force" you to go back on your drug.  That decision is yours.  However, having information will allow you to make an informed decision. 

It is not a case of getting the drug out of your system.  The drug has changed your brain.  Understanding this helped me to realise that tapering is the best way to get off the drug with the minimal withdrawal symptoms.  These really helped me:

Video: Healing from Antidepressants: Patterns of Recovery

Brain Remodelling

I, and most of the members here, understand that you want to be off the drug as quickly as possible.  Unfortunately going CT may mean months and possibly years of withdrawal symptoms.  Reinstating, stabilising and then doing a 10% taper of the previous dose is what is recommended by this site.  Please read these links:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering Lexapro

It will also be helpful if you would put your drug history (dates, all drugs, doses and how you decreased/increased)  in your signature.  Having all the details will enable the staff to make suggestions.

How to put your Withdrawal History in Signature

You can use your Intro Topic to ask questions and to journal your progress.  Click Follow This Topic (top right) and you will be notified when someone replies.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Welcome Amy

You have found a great informative place.

Your husbands concerns are well founded.

I am taking pills from a store-bought "detox" program.

Do you know what these 'pills' are?

Sadly detox programmes dont understand the enormity of what they are up against.

Whats critical is the taper not a super spectacular dietary detox.

I know you dont want to hear this but CT is not the way to go here.

You can get free of this drug if you do it the right way.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

How frustrating!  There goes a week of my life in an experiment that is doomed to failure.  How do you taper off?  What would you recommend?  Cutting pills in half or in fourths?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Amy,

I assume you have decided to reinstate.  Have a read of the links Reinstating, Why Taper & Tips for Tapering in my previous post.

By filling in your drug history in your signature (link about how to in previous post), the mods will be better able to assist you and suggest the dose to reinstate.  They need as much detail as possible.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Amy ,  welcome to the site.

After 15 years on ad's your brain has adjusted to having them there , and is likely going to have a terrible time trying to readjust to having nothing.

Most people find a new sense of energy when they stop abruptly , which is experienced as an improvement. This lasts maybe a few weeks  , and is then replaced by insomnia , irritability , cold and flu' symptoms , aches and pains ,nausea and a range of other symptoms.

The recovery process can take many , many months , years even  . . . . just ask nz11.

The way for you to feel better quickest is to reinstate a tiny amount , 1 or 2mg.  See the thread on reinstating that Chessie provided.  You can then stabilize , get your life back , and taper slowly in a way that avoids severe w/d symptoms.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

So, if I reinstate, I only have to do 1 or 2 mg?  That doesn't sound bad!  How long would I do that?  I guess I'm impatient!!  So far, it has been manageable though, so I've been thinking I can tough this out!  This is all so confusing!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Amy,

Thanks for completing your signature.  So that it is relevant in the future, could you please include the date you went cold turkey?  Thanks.

I'm going to PM Fresh and ask her whether you should go back to 20 mg, because you have only been off 1 week, or whether to start really low and build up if needed, or reinstate at say 15 or 10 mg.  I suggest you wait until Fresh responds.

CC

Okay, I'm really hesitant about going back on at all!  I swear I am feeling a little better every day and don't want to have a setback!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately that's what can happen to begin with but in the next couple of weeks you may get more and different symptoms.  This is the topic about what withdrawal symptoms you might get Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Symptoms Checklist

It is entirely your decision about reinstating.  However, if you do develop symptoms which are unbearable, reinstating later is still an option but the longer you leave it the less chance it has of being successful.  It takes about 4 days for the drug to get to full strength in the bloodstream, although sometimes within hours of taking a dose the symptoms start to subside.

I dropped my dose from 100 mg to 50 mg and had an extremely foggy head for 2 weeks.  I got to the stage that I wasn't able to type properly (I am a professional typist).  That is when I researched and found this site.  Once I got the information and advice, I reinstated and felt better within about 4 hours, and I was amazed at how quickly I was able to type accurately again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Amy ,  I wasn't thinking that it had only been 6 days since you stopped when I wrote the post above.  Usually we suggest the tiny doses when it's been much longer , like a couple of months.

You would be best to go straight back onto the dose you were on as it's been such a short time.  Thanks ChessieCat for the pick-up.

Amy , the experiment hasn't worked , but you did need to see it for yourself to some extent.  

If there was a quicker way to get off these meds , we'd be suggesting it.  Unfortunately ,  the safest way we know if to get stable as soon as possible , then decrease slowly so that you avoid the severe w/d symptoms  (oh , and I forgot the big one too , diarrhea).

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Amy.

Are the brain zaps going away? How's your sleep?

Cold turkey is a high-risk way to go off psychiatric drugs. If your withdrawal symptoms continue, I might try 2mg Lexapro and see if that helps. It comes in a liquid, read Tips for tapering Lexapro (thank you, ChessieCat).

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

God, I'm such an idiot. I am so spacey and forgetful, I can't go on like this any more.  I am making a fool of myself around people!  Maybe I can get a few days "emergency supply" until I can get to the doctor, and think about cutting them in half or smaller or taking the full dose. Don't know.

• Moderator Emeritus

How did you go Amy ?      You could always present to a hospital and get enough to carry you over.

Or you might try your regular pharmacy , they may give you some on credit till you can get a script organized.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hello all, I am feeling terrific!  Each day, the withdrawal symptoms got better and better.  My supplements seem to be helping.  I know this is not proper medical protocol to quit "cold turkey." However, what I want to say to other people going through this is that there is some merit to listening to yourself.  My "higher self" or whatever you want to call it was directing me to just get off the crap.  I did and it turned out to be the right decision for me.  I don't recommend it for everyone, but we need to learn to listen to and trust ourselves again.  Many of us have been told by doctors that we will likely be on these drugs for the rest of our lives.  Ultimately, it is our bodies, our lives and our decisions.  I would like to encourage everyone to be empowered.  You don't always need to listen to the people around you, without taking into account that "still, small voice."  Thanks, Signing out, Be well, Amy

Good luck too you, it's still early, I felt great weeks after I dropped my celexa after being 10 years on, then that all when down hill FAST and I've been regretting it ever since, I've reinstated and slowly healing. Hopefully for your sake your someone who has a easy time coming off, most of us DO NOT. Good luck in the coming weeks. Ali.

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

• Moderator Emeritus

Amy,

While we all would wish you nothing but the best in your effort to get off Lexapro, and you may be lucky and have an easy time of it all the way through, please continue to listen to your body if things do change.  Nobody here wants to pour "cold water" on your personal situation -- it is simply that we have seen far too many people who get off the drug for a couple of weeks (as you are now) and feel great only to have the withdrawal hit them further down the road.  Those people are not aware of what is happening to them and come to the board much later and usually on a cocktail of medications their P-doc has put them on.  You are in a far better position as you came here at the outset.  If you stay great that is fantastic and we will be thrilled.  If things change please don't hesitate to come back.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Amy .    I do hope you are one of the lucky ones. However , it's hard to tell at this stage.

You are only 12 days in.   I think it's early days.  . As  you have been 15 years  on  the drug , you could be in  for a "rough ride", in  terms of withdrawal symptoms.  You are fortunate to be in a " window of opportunity " in terms of reinstating  a very small amount to  lessen withdrawal .  I think you can see why we are all concerned for you . Personally , I would not wish C/T on anyone , given the choice.

Have a think about it.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

What is C/T?

Oh, cold turkey, haha!  How much would I want to reinstate at this stage?  Thanks!

GOld star, did you quit c/t?

Is it more dangerous in the long run if I quit c/t?  Should I reinstate a small amount?  Oh my god, what am I doing?  I just don't want to set back my progress with the withdrawal,having gone 13 days...this is scary stuff!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Amy ,     the persons name is above the "gold star" or "silver star" . . . that indicates how many posts a member has done.

You can see a person's drug history underneath their post.

See Alto's post above - you would want to reinstate 2mg lexapro.

I had the same experience as others here after a too-fast taper - first few weeks were great , increased energy , clearer mind , my vision was like the number of pixels had been doubled ,  I felt fantastic!  Lots of scathingly brilliant ideas and plans.

Within a month , I was more irritable , angry , tearful , and things went downhill fast from there.

Yes , it is more dangerous and recovery can take many years after stopping the way you did.

You may feel more comfortable waiting another week or two to see for yourself how things change.   

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

I'm scared.  How much should I reinstate at this point?  I don't want long-term neurological damage!  Should I call my dr. this evening?  AAH!

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Amy.

Are the brain zaps going away? How's your sleep?

Cold turkey is a high-risk way to go off psychiatric drugs. If your withdrawal symptoms continue, I might try 2mg Lexapro and see if that helps. It comes in a liquid, read Tips for tapering Lexapro (thank you, ChessieCat).

You might read this quote again.  Welcome.  Wishing you and your family the best. 

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

So it's not too late now?  I'm reinstating!

The brain zaps are going away and my sleep is great but I'm scared now.  I seem to be impaired somewhat in memory and cognition.

• Moderator Emeritus

No......it's not too late.  The extreme anxiety or being scared is anxiety............. is also most likely withdrawal and yes, we do understand the memory and cognition impairments.

Personally going from 20mg. to zero I don't think is ever a great idea. 

Here are the helpful links from above again for you.

Hi Amy and welcome to SA,

Let me say you have come to the right place.  This site is full of excellent information and the members are very supportive and the voluntary staff are very knowledgeable.  Nobody can "force" you to go back on your drug.  That decision is yours.  However, having information will allow you to make an informed decision. 

It is not a case of getting the drug out of your system.  The drug has changed your brain.  Understanding this helped me to realise that tapering is the best way to get off the drug with the minimal withdrawal symptoms.  These really helped me:

Video: Healing from Antidepressants: Patterns of Recovery

Brain Remodelling

I, and most of the members here, understand that you want to be off the drug as quickly as possible.  Unfortunately going CT may mean months and possibly years of withdrawal symptoms.  Reinstating, stabilising and then doing a 10% taper of the previous dose is what is recommended by this site.  Please read these links:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering Lexapro

It will also be helpful if you would put your drug history (dates, all drugs, doses and how you decreased/increased)  in your signature.  Having all the details will enable the staff to make suggestions.

How to put your Withdrawal History in Signature

You can use your Intro Topic to ask questions and to journal your progress.  Click Follow This Topic (top right) and you will be notified when someone replies.

CC

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

I called the oncall dr. at my drs. office.  He is calling me in a month's supply of 10 mg.  He recommended taking 10 mg. for 2 weeks, cutting it back to 5, etc.  I guess I'm not the first person to try the "CT experiment," am I?  It's human nature to be impatient, I suppose!!  However, I don't want to take gambles with my long-term health.

Or should I try reinstating 5 mg. at first, by cutting one in half, and see how that works?  Sorry, as I said, I am suffering from cognitive impairments at present.  This is really irritating, since I am not a ditz and have a master's degree...:)

(Hence, I'm really quite intelligent, LOL!)  Trying to keep my humor through all this! :)

If I'm reading the info. right, I should try reinstating 5 mg?  ARGH, I'm feeling ANGRY!  I don't need this in my life right now.  I have 2 precious kids that I homeschool.  At this point, I would rather be focusing on my family then trying to figure out the complicated science behind all this crap!!  I am angry at the hold this drug has on my life!!  So, again, I was on Lexapro, 20 mg., for approx. 15 years and stopped cold turkey a few weeks ago.  Any advice on the amount of reinstatement would be appreciated.  The on-call dr. recommended going to 10 mg. for a few weeks, 5 for a few, etc., but I'm not sure he knew too much about tapering off antidepressants.  I want myself back so badly!  Will that person ever return?

• Moderator Emeritus

Amy , you have been advised by us to start with 2mg.  Asking the same question several times doesn't change the answer.

Please re-read all the responses in this thread carefully.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Yea, I'm not really myself.  It's the withdrawal.  I don't see how being condescending to me helps...

The link you posted recommended 5 mg.