PenguinTeacup: Please Help

PenguinTeacup

Penguin .      I know you're exhausted , and can't go on , but if you stick with the "  program ,"   ( as advised ) ,   you will be in a better place to deal with the stresses in your life , including your wedding .

As Fresh said , switching  could be " tricky " at this point .  There are no guarantees that this would work . Whether it's a SSRI or SNRI , is a bit of a "moot point " , as none of them work effectively anyway , and there's not a great deal of difference between them .

Try and keep notes  on your symptoms . See how you go taking it earlier , and let us know how you are going .

I know it's hard , but hang in there.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenguinTeacup

• AliG

• Altostrata

• Fresh

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi PT,

I agree with Fresh about the pressure you are under.  When I was planning my wedding I hadn't begun taking ADs and I was 23 and well physically and mentally.  It is stressful at the best of times without the added complications of trying to stabilise after a fast taper and reinstating.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

PT, I know this is the last thing you may want to hear, but it may make sense right now to reschedule your wedding, for health reasons.

The stress of wedding planning is adding tremendously to your problems right now.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

"it may make sense right now to reschedule your wedding, for health reasons."

I understand that you don't want to let your fiance down, but it's your wedding day too, and I feel sure that you would like to enjoy it.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

hi, I went to my GP last tuesday as I was suicidal and desperate for sleep. She advised me to up the dose of venlafaxine as I had always felt sedated on it and she convinced me it would help. It just made things worse, I feel like my heart is constantly racing, I feel agitated and can't relax and I lie awake for hours with severe discomfort in my chest unable to sleep for more than an hour or so a night. It is intolerable. Sometimes my heart rate is 106bpm when lieing down but sometimes it is not fast but it feels like i am full of adrenaline. I don't know whether this means my body can no longer tolerate the drug? I don't have any of the withdrawal symptoms that I had when i stopped taking the drug. Reading posts on this forum just makes me feel there is no hope, even if the sleep came back, it seems it would not be permanent, people here suffer for years and i don't know how you go on. I have been ill with chronic fatigue for 4 years and I don't have the strength to fight this. My partner is taking me to A&E because i've told him I want to die but i'm scared that they willl just give me more drugs and then i will be addicted to more drugs or it will make things worse. This is like a nightmare, it doesn't seem real

2009 - Started Venlafaxine/Effexor. Highest does of Venlafaxine was 225mg.
Started reducing venlafaxine sometime 2013 - reduced by 37.5 several times no probs

May/June 2014 - Was alternating 75mg Venlafaxine and 37.5mg every other day (as per dr advice!)

Aug 2014 - Went to 37.5mg every other day and ended up in A&E with severe heart palpitations/shakes

Nov 2014 - Dec 2015 - down from 37.5mg gradual monthly decreases to 7.5mg

2 Jan 2016 - 0mg venlafaxine

19 Jan 2016 - 1mg venlafaxine

8 Feb 2016 - 4.5mg venlafaxine

22 Mar 2016 - 6.25mg venlafaxine

• Moderator Emeritus

What dose have you been taking since last Tuesday Penguin?

If you feel worse , it doesn't agree with you.

Our ability to metabolize these drugs changes over time - what we used to tolerate may not

work 12 months or a few years later.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks for replying. I have been taking 6.2mg. Do you think I should take less or will that bring on more withdrawal? I just don't know what to do :(

Started reducing venlafaxine sometime 2013 - reduced by 37.5 several times no probs

May/June 2014 - Was alternating 75mg Venlafaxine and 37.5mg every other day (as per dr advice!)

Aug 2014 - Went to 37.5mg every other day and ended up in A&E with severe heart palpitations/shakes

• Moderator Emeritus

Only you know if you feel worse overall since you updosed. It's been 6 days.

We see people stabilize on tiny doses compared to what most doctors consider "therapeutic"

precisely because we become so sensitized.

Has there been any improvement at all since updosing?

" It just made things worse, I feel like my heart is constantly racing, I feel agitated and can't relax and I lie awake for hours with severe discomfort in my chest unable to sleep for more than an hour or so a night."

Was it less bad on 4,5mg? If so , you could go back to that dose.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I think it has been worse but it was also extremely bad on 4.5mg. I'm just so desperate for sleep :( the longer it goes on the more traumatic it becomes. There doesn't seem to be anything anyone can do and that's terrifying

Hi Penguin . I'm sorry for what you are going through . I know it's tough .

It sounds as if you are working yourself into a state of panic, which could be exacerbating some of your symptoms. Just know that , you will get through this and you can survive without any sleep, for a period of time .  It's not easy , but if you stay calm , it will be much easier to deal with . Anxiety is raising your cortisol , making it harder for you to get the rest you need. 

I know , as I have gone as many as 5 nights a week , over a long period of time , with no sleep .

Have you tried any of the sleep meditations ?  They have proven helpful  to many here.  Have a look at post 30 , by Shep . There are many helpful videos listed.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6122-guided-meditations-calming-videos-sleep-hypnosis/

Have a look . They might help . I'm not sure about your dose. I will leave that for someone else to advise. Are you keeping notes on your symptoms ? Only you can know if they're getting better or worse.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Thank you Ali, I don't know how you have coped without sleep for 5 nights a week. Yes I keep a note of my symptoms in a spreadsheet.

I have spent the day in a&e having ECG and then speaking to a psychiatric nurse who has made an emergency referral to a psychiatrist. The nurse did keep going on about anxiety but she at least acknowledged the withdrawal

P.      How did the E.C/G. go ?  

The thing is , there is nothing of value that the psychiatrist , can do for you , at this stage .  Sometimes, it is a case of " riding it out " , as it can often be better , in the long run , to just do nothing .  I know that goes against every instinct to just , " FIX THE PROBLEM  " , but this is not something that can be solved instantly , as much as you or  I would like it to be .

It takes time , patience and acceptance.  If you can stop and breathe, for a second or two , it will help .

What have you decided , about your wedding ?   Is this adding to the panic ?

The ECG was normal, as usual (I've had several)

I just don't know how to ride it out, it's intolerable. How can I live knowing I will barely sleep? How can I live knowing I'll never be able to be happy? That I'll never be able to have children? That I'll be housebound and a burden?

I have told partner the wedding needs to be cancelled but the nurse kept trying to say it would be ok and not to cancel. Nothing has been done about it anyway as it is a bank holiday

P.   This is " withdrawal " speaking . You will most likely sleep again .You will probably be happy again  & maybe have children ,and not be housebound or a burden. Yes, It's hard , but not intolerable.

I would look to your own heart , rather than a nurse ,  regarding your wedding .  How are you feeling about it ?

Unfortunately , these drugs often bring out our worst fears , and temporarily " derail " us , so that we doubt that we can get back to our previous lives , goals and dreams . This is an illusion .  You will get there.  Maybe, have a read of these stories.  It might help .

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1226-recovery-success-stories-from-around-the-web/

Ali

Thank you for trying to help. I'm afraid that I didn't get very far on the recovery stories thread as it just seemed to be a lot of people saying they recovered after years of suffering which terrifies me. I cannot go on like this for years, I can barely face the thought of another day.

There is no way I can get married like this and I have no choice but to cancel. I know it will be awful having to tell everyone, they won't understand. I know I'm causing my partner so much pain, he would do anything to help me.

I keep thinking I'm going to wake up and this will be a bad dream.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Penguin Teacup, 

I just read through your thread and feel so very badly for your suffering.  I am curious what you are doing for self-care throughout your day.  Are you able to go out and take walks?  I know that vigorous exercise is not recommended because it can trigger symptoms, but walking shouldn't be a problem.  We know that your heart is healthy through the testing, so walking shouldn't be a problem.  A bit of mild exercise might be transformative about now. 

How else are you spending your time?  Others have referred to the symptoms and self-care forum; which techniques have you tried to employ  to soothe yourself?  Our thoughts can cause more suffering, so it is important to not spend time reading horror stories, stressing about the negatives and adding fuel to your fear that this will never end.  Distraction is my go-to when the mind is going full-bore with the fears, whether it be uplifting music, comedies on the TV, a feel-good movie, anything that can take you out of your current stressful experience.  

There may be an element of fighting the symptoms going on emotionally.  When your heart is pounding, it is likely triggering fearful thoughts, but what if you were to just sit and notice it, and take deep meditative breathes?  Be curious about it, like "gee, there it is again - I wonder what set it off this time?"  instead of "oh no, there it is again, will this ever stop?!!"  So much of our distress is because we are fighting the fear, which makes it worse, creates secondary fear :-)  Many on SA have come to peace with their withdrawal and find themselves moving through the waves more quickly for having done so.  

I know all this is easier said than done :-)  The alternative isn't working, so why not investigate threads on Acceptance?  This thread is a great place to start (thanks, Petunia!)

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10964-the-dr-claire-weekes-method-of-recovering-from-a-sensitized-nervous-system/?hl=acceptance

I am sending you calming virtual hugs!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Thank you SG. I mostly watch tv as it is all I have energy for, but I get bored with it frequently. I try ignoring or accepting the heart racing feeling while I'm trying to sleep but it just gets more and more painful in my chest til I'm forced to move.

I have noticed that my heart rate is at it's lowest before I take my drugs in the evening (low 70s) but then after I take them my heart goes up to 100-106. Surely this suggests the effexor is actively aggravating my heart?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I'd say that is an adverse reaction.  Hopefully a more experienced mod will chime in here.  Is that reaction true for both your doses since you are splitting AM/PM?  Did you move your PM dose to 5 PM?  I can understand not being able to distract from the racing heart if it is causing pain.  This might be a case for bridging to Prozac, though I have no experience with this so don't feel comfortable advising.

Would you say that most of your distress is caused by the waking due to the pain from the heart racing?  If your heart didn't wake you up, do you think you would otherwise be able to sleep?  Or are there other symptoms in play as well?

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

I haven't checked in the morning but my heart always feels very uncomfortable in the morning upon waking which I put down to the whole cortisol awakening thing. I never used to wake up til gone 9am but now I mostly fall asleep around 5-6am and wake an hour later feeling full of panic.

I moved my dose forward by an hour (both am and pm) so I take at 9am and 7pm. I didn't want to move it forward too much too fast. Although daylight savings yesterday mean it's technically moved forward again by an hr.

If my heart didn't wake me I would be able to sleep fine. I used to sleep 9 hrs. Now I get to the verge of sleep and then it goes nuts and feels as if it's speeding up and pounding until it hurts. I am anxious now to go to bed because of the discomfort (which I know makes it worse) but on the odd occasion I have had a goodish night the next night I feel much more positive but it still happens regardless of mood.

Thank you to everyone for your replies by the way. It is appreciated so much

• Administrator

Did the racing heart start when you recently increased the venlafaxine? This is not a desirable result. If I were you, I'd go back down again.

Your nervous system has been destabilized by withdrawal and is reacting differently to venlafaxine now.

Many people find it overstimulating. Taking more venlafaxine is not going to help you sleep.

What is your daily symptom pattern relative to when you take your drugs? Please keep notes on paper.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

The racing heart first started after I made reductions while I was tapering, it would just last a few nights. Then after I stopped effexor completely it got really bad so that's why I reinstated which made it stop for two weeks then it came back and hasn't gone away. It has seemed to get worse after I tried increasing the dose. This is why I am so confused, first a reduction in effexor caused it then taking more effexor seemingly made it worse.

If you think I should reduce, by how much would you recommend? I'm very worried about changing things but I'm also worried cos I can't continue like this :(

I should mention that I took my heart rate before and after taking effexor this morning and there was no noticeable increase in heart rate (high 70s laying down). It still felt very uncomfortable like I was full of adrenaline or panic but this is how I feel most of the time now

I noticed in the middle of my taper that there was a stretch of several months where it felt like my pulse was racing, but every time I checked it, it was in the normal range.  So I ended up concluding that it was just a nerve sensation caused by the WD and persuaded myself not to worry about it.  I think it is something similar to palpitations and is just a distressing sensation and nothing actually wrong.  Nothing was showing up on the doctors tests.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Brassmonkey yes it is usually the case that when I have the heart problems it is not a case of it being fast, more that it is beating hard or irregular. I am not worried about my heart as I have had it checked lots. It does go up into the 100s sometimes though and I'm wondering if the drug is contributing to that.

• Administrator

That hard heartbeat is very typical of withdrawal syndrome.

You might hold on tapering for a while.

Hi

One of the symptoms i've had on and off for a long time (for at least a couple of years) is diarrhea. It was just a couple of loose bowel movements a week, particularly first thing in the morning. I've told drs about it as I have been back and forth to drs over four years trying to find a reason for my chronic fatigue and the diarrhea was put down to part of that. It has got worse over the past year which may be due to withdrawal or vitamin D deficiency which I was recently diagnosed with.

Anyway i'd had a few days where it was better (probably due to eating much less in my distressed state) but this morning I had a watery bowel movement and noticed that there was a bit of something that might've been undigested food and what looked like a tiny bit of effexor tablet. Is it possible that these episodes of diarrhea are stopping my body from absorbing some or all of the effexor and that this is what it is stopping me from stabilising?

Hi Penguin

loose bowels ..gee tell me about it. Chronic fatigue ...gee tell me about it. You too ugh.

Interesting how the medical profession are unable to say the word iatrogenic issues.

i would think it difficult for tablets to go right through the acidic environment of the stomach and survive.

penguins are known for  swallowing stuff are you sure it wasnt something else...?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Nz17, I don't know for sure what it was. There was also something that looked like a seed that was possibly I digested food. I hope it's not caused by diarrhea in a way because I don't want to have to restrict my diet further (I already can't eat gluten).

Drs have never been able to find a cause for my chronic fatigue and I don't fit the criteria to be diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome so I was convinced it was the effexor that was causing the sleepiness, one of the reasons I was desperate to come off. Now I'd give anything to be able to sleep all the time again.

Hi, after a few improved nights where I was able to get 4hrs sleep without sleeping pills, I had another bad night last night where I took a zopiclone at 2am because I could feel that I wasn't going to sleep and this gave me 3hrs but now I feel really down because i thought things were improving and I just feel back to square one. It's like the moment I get my hopes up they're dashed again :( it's torture. How can I live like this?

Hi , I can relate to your suffering I was on Effexor for over 10 years , then I had extreme anxiety for over a year untill I finally realised that it was actually the Effexor that was causing it , I had many stabilised years on Effexor but then it started working against me ,after a year of suffering I told my gp and he stopped me over a 2 week period . Then all hell let loose excactly what you are going through now , I had 3 months of hell , sweating ,severe anxiety , depression ,insomnia ,crying spells , suicidal tendency , I wanted to die , but it does get better. I am no where near where I want to be but the intensity will ease , unfortunately for me my doctor put me on 2 other medications that made things worse , and I have managed to work through the side effects of these meds , I know that the symptoms that you are experiencing are awfull but try to remember that it is not your normal brain doing all this it is the drug and it will get better , I was you only 12 months ago and I am slowly getting better , I am also in the uk , Bedfordshire , and I am slowly getting my gp to understand what is happening , there is so much information on here that you can read ,also I printed of a page. And took it to my gp so that they could understand what was happening so that they didn't make changes to make things worse . With the sleeping don't try and push it , I found the harder I tried the more I got frustrated , warm bath , blackout your room , and I mean no light , soft music not loud , and learn to relax , there are some great sites on YouTube for this that help with relaxing , as for your pounding heart it will get better , the more you learn to relax and accept it , I know it's hard trust me I do , but you will get better ,

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

I just don't know how people go on for years with so much suffering. I have been ill for the past four years with fatigue/lightheadedness and my life has already been restricted because of this, not being able to work full time for the past 3 years and not being able to do the things I enjoy. I just can't face my world getting smaller and my options disappearing. All I can do is sit in front of the tv or the computer in constant discomfort from my pounding heart and feelings of panic. I don't know how to go on if it is going to be like this for years. I wish I was brave enough to kill myself

Hi penguinteacup , I think that you will find many people on here have felt like you have during there withdrawel , I know it's hell , I wish I could take it all away , as I know how you feel , but you are strong and you will beat this , try not to think that it will go on for years as this is the medication talking the withdrawel playing tricks on you , when in withdrawel days can seem like months and I know you feel hopeless ,but it will get better nothing last for ever , I have thought about ending it all many times , but I haven't as I believe that I will get better and that one day I will be able to help others in our position , this site is to help people who want to come off their meds , but sometimes remember people need to be on them and they do help people , when I was at my worst I went to my go and he gave me pregablin for my severe anxiety , I didn't want anymore medication , but sometimes you need to get stabilised before you can tackle the withdrawel process , I am currently withdrawing from mirtazapine another hard one to come off and I am having withdrawel problems . I have been off venalaxafine for 15 months now after almost going of c/t and I still get side effects but what I have learnt over the 15months is that no matter how hard or bad I feel I will never let these drugs beat me . take care

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

P.   This is why  I thought if you could read the " success stories" , that it might help you to see that this is just temporary .  Personally , I find them inspiring .  To know that this isn't permanent , is such a positive thing to me .  If I was paralysed, that would be permanent . This is not .  If it takes a little while , then so be it . I find it better to think this way , than to think of ending it .  That is a permanent solution to a temporary problem .

If you are seriously having these thoughts, please get help . We are not equipped to deal with that.  Is there a counsellor / psychologist  you can talk to ?

Take care of yourself . You will be fine if you can stay focused and positive . 

Ali

I am going to see a psychiatrist this afternoon but I doubt he will help.

To think I will have years of barely sleeping ahead is terrifying

P.   I hope it goes well, but I wouldn't pin your hopes on this doctor . Is there anyone else , you can talk to ?  Sometimes , even a friend can help .    

Everyone is different , and reacts very individually to these drugs.  Try, if you can , not to project too far forward in such a way that scares you so much . A lot of times  it is the drug , talking . If you can take it day by day , it will be easier than letting your thoughts and fears , run away with you . 

There are some really great topics , in the Symptoms & Self- Care section , that you might find helpful .  Many here , are finding Claire Weekes -   anxiety,  helpful. 

Ali   

I am going to see a psychiatrist this afternoon but I doubt he will help.

To think I will have years of barely sleeping ahead is terrifying

Let us know how the consultation goes.

If he prescribes a benzo or low dose antipsychotic (for sleep) i would gently say 'thanks but no thanks.'

I kinda like to look on the bright side- no sleeping means more time to spend reading sa forums and being able to encourage others.

Don't give up hope. Things will get better in time.

nz11

4am

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017