Vandert: Sertraline Discontinuation Attempt

vandert

I was diagnosed with OCD around 1996.  In addition, I suffered from moderate depression and severe anxiety.  I started taking Prozac but tried other SSRIs until landing on sertraline (100mg) which was very tolerable.  Because my OCD was of the "pure-o" variety, I didn't do the ERP therapy and just used medication to treat the problem.  While not perfect, sertraline did help with my anxiety and I was generally healthy and functional.

Fast forward to 2006.  During what I now know was a compulsion, I stumbled on an article that literally changed my life.  I was as if the author had interviewed me and used that as the basis for the content.  It made me realize I did truly have OCD and I began the process of accepting it and doing whatever it took to manage it.  I started therapy, did the ERP, and made great strides.  I was doing well and decided I wanted to see if I could manage without the sertraline.  I stepped down my dose over a 6 week period under the supervision of my psychologist.  As the dosage reduced, I felt great.  I had more energy, confidence, and clearer thinking.  Over the two months or so following my last dose of sertraline I felt the absolute best I had ever felt in my adult life.

Then, one night, something changed.  It was as if a switch in my brain was flipped.  I started feeling very anxious.  Within a few days I could no longer sleep.  Each passing day the anxiety got worse and, eventually, major depression kicked in.  About 2 weeks following the "switch" I was in a behavioral hospital because I was a suicide threat.  My brain was completely out of my control.  I was discharged after 3 nights but was back again a month later.  I started started seeing a psychiatrist along with my therapist and ended up on Seroquel and returned to sertraline.  In addition, both doctors believed I had bipolar.  The only debate was whether it was type I or II.

After many months, I felt stable again and discontinued the Seroquel in favor of Lamictal.  I have been on sertraline and Lamictal ever since.

The entire episode left me with many questions and for a while I just assumed I'd never understand what happened.  My doctors never brought up "discontinuation syndrome".  The explanation for my 8 weeks of feeling great was hypomania.  Within the past year I asked my psychiatrist about the bipolar diagnosis as it never made sense to me.  He stated he no longer believed I had bipolar as my mood had been too stable over the years.  Great so what the hell was/is wrong with me?

Just yesterday I found this site and other resources that made me think my episode was caused by withdrawal syndrome.  It is the first explanation that makes any sense.  Bipolar never made sense as it appears SSRIs without mood stabilizers (me on sertraline without mood stabilizer for 10 years) tends to worsen or trigger mania.  I had never had anything approaching a manic episode.  I did struggle with anxiety but it was nothing like the horror I experienced following my discontinuation of sertraline.  I can't help but think withdrawal is the best explanation.

Since my terrible episode I have felt very cheated and disappointed.  For 6 months I experienced joy in achieving successful therapy for OCD.  I made great strides and gained the most confidence I'd ever had.  Those last two months were fantastic.  Then the rug was yanked out from under me.  I have been somewhat bitter thinking it was all "fake" and haven't been very motivated to achieve.  I guess you could say I have felt defeated.

Now, after discovering others with similar experiences, I have a little bit of hope.  I would like to try coming off of sertraline one more time.  This time, however, I'll do it very slowly under the guidance of a psychiatrist.  Having said that, I am scared.  I cannot go through that dreadful experience again.

Sertraline WD - 2007

6 week discontinuation period

Felt great for about 8 weeks then experienced EXTREME anxiety and major depression leading to bipolar diagnosis

Returned to sertraline and stabilized after several months

Considering another attempt at discontinuation

Current meds: Sertraline 150mg, Lamictal (generic) 75mg, Lipitor ?mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vandert, welcome to SA. Many of us here have the bi polar label that was actually withdrawal!  

I am pleased that you came here first this time to learn the correct way to taper without the awful withdrawal. Most doctors haven't a clue so it will be great if your doctor is on board and supportive of your taper. Most of them think that a few weeks is all that is needed, then blame relapse when it goes wrong instead of recognising withdrawal. 

Here is our topic on tapering sertraline (Zoloft)  read it carefully and if you follow the advice carefully you will be more successful.

It is important to listen to your body, any withdrawal symptoms then hold until they have been settled for a few weeks before another cut. 

Don't be tempted to rush, take your time and you could feel better as the dose lowers. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

If you are mathematically mnded you will find the following interesting about the concentrations of the drug as the doses get smaller.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6036-why-taper-paper-demonstrates-importance-of-gradual-change-in-plasma-concentration/

The 3 KIS  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

You can log your progress here and ask any questions along the way. :) 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I had a similar thing happen ~ was on sertaline for years & decided to go cold turkey for lack of knowledge on how to taper. First 3 months, I felt great!!!! Then something switched & I went through horrible withdrawal. After another year and a few months of on/off/changing doses, I found this incredible site. I am fairly stable ~ still have symptoms but nothing like before. Our bodies are amazing and will heal. It just requires patience and wisdom on our part to allow and help. You've come to the right place!

On Zoloft for 10 years (50 mg) for GAD & panic attacks

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Did CT off of Zoloft in May 2014 - bad decision!

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello vandert, 

I just wanted to chip and say hello.  I had a similar experience as you when I came off Effexor too fast - a period of doing fine and then BLAMMO!  I totally understand your fear because in essence we develop PTSD after that experience!  I didn't know it was withdrawal either, went 10 months before ending up back on Effexor after being put on Remeron, which couldn't hold up to Effexor WD.  So, I too felt angry once I realized what had happened and that I was now on two drugs, not one!  I have been tapering slowly ever since, and doing very well.  It will be a year of tapering next month.  I was on Effexor for 12 years and other ADs a total of 20, so I have accepted that coming off has to be a slow process that will take longer than I initially wanted.  When we discover that all our troubles were caused by AD withdrawal, we want off the poison BAD! 

It is quite a common tale around here, that people diagnosed as bi-polar after a failed attempt to come off meds, misdiagnosed.

Hopefully, your doctor will be willing to work with you to taper slowly.  Mine thinks I am going too slow, and that is also a common story around here, since they don't seem to acknowledge protracted withdrawal and say that anything after 6 weeks is "something else."

These links may be helpful to you in that regard:

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

I'm so glad you found SA - welcome!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi Vandert,

WDS is a truly horrendous experience.

I completely sympathise with you. I have gone through a horrible experience after Zoloft reaction, and I want to let you know that it is not you. You are not bipolar, it is the WDS from Zoloft.

I was also given Seroquel following Zoloft reaction.

I experienced terrible depression after Zoloft and I was also suicidal.

I have never experienced anything like it in my life.

I don't know why psychiatrist throw antipsycotics into the mix following WDS.

Antipsycotic medication should be reserved for people who really need it and not for people who have anxiety disorders.

When you decide to come off Zoloft, tapper off very slowly.

Follow the advice given to you by the moderators.

You will heal and you will get better.

Best wishes, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

I've been reading the forums a good bit and I have to say I'm extremely nervous about attempting a second discontinuation of Zoloft.  I suppose most of the horror stories I've read are from those who tapered too quickly but I'm not sure of that.  The reasons for stopping medication follow:

• I felt great for 2 months following discontinuation.
  • While I tolerate Zoloft well, I still believe it makes me sluggish and contributes to difficulties maintaining healthy weight.
  • I don't want to be on any medication unless it's medically necessary.

I am seduced by the idea I will feel great as I did following my previous discontinuation but will not have the crash if I taper slowly enough.  I haven't found any success stories to back this up.  I cannot have a repeat of what I experienced before as I'm not sure I'll survive it.  I am not trying to be overly dramatic.  I was very suicidal and had to hospitalized twice.

With this in mind, and with the understanding that I am the only one who can make the decision, is it worth trying again?

Sertraline WD - 2007

Felt great for about 8 weeks then experienced EXTREME anxiety and major depression leading to bipolar diagnosis

To be honest, for me I would be very weary of it.

I tried tapering very slowly, 5% of my current dose, and still got hit with bad withdrawal which I am trying to recover from. I just recently updosed in the hopes that I will go back to normal.

2010 started 10 mg celexa, 2011 went up to 20 mg

06/2014 started tapering (20 mg,10 mg alternate days)

19/09/2014 crashed at 10 mg

20/09/2014 updosed to 20 mg to try and stabilize- Never stabilized and CNS basically plummeted

August 31 2015- Started my 5% taper anyways

May 3 2016- At 14 mg the tapering caught up with me- Withdrawal included severe anxiety, feeling like im on speed, suicidal and homicidal ideation, akathesia, feeling like I was on heroin, memory loss, PGAD, feeling like I was on an acid

May 4 2016- Updosed to 15.5 mg to try and stabilize

​June 4- Started taking 2 mg 5 times a day which adds up to 10 mg because of akathesia when taking my full dose. Akathesia symtpoms smaller

July 27th- Dropped from 15.5 mg to 10 mg because could no longer tolerate taking drug- bad side effects mainly akathesia and emotional deadness.

​Oct 11- Improved a lot since May 4th after my crash. Withdrawal symptoms still left- DR/DP, emotional anasthesia, akathesia, tingling in head, feeling like my body and face disappears, messed up sound interpretation, perception and difficulty reading social and emotional cues during DR/DP, apathy, inability to tell if I am in dream or reality, disturbed sleep. Started having few windows

Hi,

I think you answered your own question with this

I don't want to be on any medication unless it's medically necessary.

If you take it slow and listen to your body then you will lessen the chance of a bumpy ride.  I believe that it is way better to live a life that is med free than to be on a med that not even the professionals are sure what it does to you long term.

Good luck in your decision.

Namaste, DC.

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 5 years drugs free

It's definitely worth getting of these drugs if you want a healthy life style in the future.

How ever you should taper a lot slower this time, so that you don't get hit hard with heavy withdrawal symptoms. You have to make a decision, do you want to be a slave to pharmaceuticals for the rest of your life and just about stay alive? or do you want to experience a healthy life without drugs?  

I would choose the healthy life style without drugs option every time. No matter how hard it get's know that your life will eventually be great again of these drugs, if you can hold on to that belief, then you will do fine in getting through the hardest of situations withdrawing from these drugs.

100% worth it,I came off zoloft and felt a lot better for it .yes it was hard and yes I thought I had lost my mind forever at times but it was 100% worth it and I would never go back down that route

2012 put on Citalopram and diazepam for 3 months for "depression" after filling in a 3 minute form at the doctors, had a massive reaction with panic attacks and extreme anxiety,never suffered panic attacks or anxiety before citalopram.Told to quit cold turkey which led to two hospital admissions during 2012/2013

December for 6 months Seroquel dosage adjusted up and down 50mg ,150mg ,100mg, caused severe tinnitus ,told to quit cold turkey

2013 January for 12 months Lorazapam given to me like sweets,told to quit cold turkey

2013 May Zoloft for 6 months ,told to quit cold turkey, reinstated 50mg tapered 2nd time over a month (to fast but I survived)messed up my sleep

Zyprexa April 2103 5mg until august 2014 ,dropped by doctor down to 2.5mg for one month went well but sleep was very poor for 3 weeks

End of 2015 I had to reinstate back up to 5mg due to constant insomnia that wouldnt go away Started a slow taper and found an understanding doctor who listened to me while I reduced
May 2016 drug free, sleeping and doing well in life again, it can be done http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12078-finally-off-zyprexa/

All of these responses are very helpful.  The one thing I will add is I do not believe I was erroneously placed on an SSRI.  In many ways I believe it helped me get through many years before I took my OCD diagnosis seriously.  For that reason I do not regret taking Zoloft.

Having said that, I have done extensive CBT/ERP for my disorder and would really like to try living SSRI free.

Are there any success stories someone can link me to? 

Sertraline WD - 2007

ive just written one,I was on Zoloft twice for anxiety and depression,I tapered of it very fast but it didnt seem that bad to get off.I have been off it for about 2 years now I think .I never really give Zoloft a second thought now so its clearly all in the past for me but at the time was life cosuming.

CBT and a good Doctor helped me with my mental health problems,it took me a long time to find the right support but once I did I started to recover quite quickly.You can do it ,I once thought meds were the answer and would have took anything a doctor offered me but they really are not the answer at all

good luck

2012 put on Citalopram and diazepam for 3 months for "depression" after filling in a 3 minute form at the doctors, had a massive reaction with panic attacks and extreme anxiety,never suffered panic attacks or anxiety before citalopram.Told to quit cold turkey which led to two hospital admissions during 2012/2013

December for 6 months Seroquel dosage adjusted up and down 50mg ,150mg ,100mg, caused severe tinnitus ,told to quit cold turkey

2013 January for 12 months Lorazapam given to me like sweets,told to quit cold turkey

2013 May Zoloft for 6 months ,told to quit cold turkey, reinstated 50mg tapered 2nd time over a month (to fast but I survived)messed up my sleep

Zyprexa April 2103 5mg until august 2014 ,dropped by doctor down to 2.5mg for one month went well but sleep was very poor for 3 weeks

End of 2015 I had to reinstate back up to 5mg due to constant insomnia that wouldnt go away Started a slow taper and found an understanding doctor who listened to me while I reduced
May 2016 drug free, sleeping and doing well in life again, it can be done http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12078-finally-off-zyprexa/

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi vandert, I merged your two intros - it's one Intro per member.

Could you please update your signature to include the Lamictal, and include dosages of both meds?  Include any other meds you are on as well.  It would be good if you could run your meds through the Drug Interactions Checker.  Please copy and paste the results here.  Sometimes this will help us see which drug would be better to reduce first.

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

This time you are in total control of your taper, and can take it as slowly as you like to stay stable and comfortable. This is a helpful topic:

Preparing to taper

This time you will have the knowledge that if symptoms do come up, they are due to withdrawal and are a sign of healing as your nervous system adapts to less drug.  

This link makes me hopeful for the future when I finally jump off the last bits:  Experiences after tapering to zero

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.