Frogie: how to taper off Lexapro and Xanax?

Frogie

I fully agree with what both Chessie and Patricia wrote. I'm a bit surprised you are tapering so soon after being so unwell and for the whole 10 %.

Also I would think that having been through what you have been through and spending time here and seeing what othets are going through you would think of a slower rather than a faster taper.

As Chessie wrote your brain will tell you what kind of pace it can cope with. And it will tell you this through symptoms. I'm only able to make a 2 % cut on my Lexapro at the moment. 10 days after the cut I'm hit with WD symptoms which are as unpleasant as I can put up with. It takes around 5 days for them to abate. I then wait some more to recover before my next cut.

That's an interesting idea that your Lexapro taper should be easier because you take xanax. I'm afraid quite opposite might be the case: those of us who are polydrugged generally have a more difficult time (also a long history of psychotropic drugs, changing drugs, doses, CT-ing, fast tapers... that all weakens are brain and makes it sensitised so we have to procede with great caution.

Every time we do it again it gets even more difficult than previous times. So I would do everything it takes (and more) so that I can get the drug and taper at a speed that allows my brain to regrow itself.

This taper will tell you how fast you can go. Just carefully monitor your symptoms and take notes. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks bubble:

I have no idea how my body is going to react to the liquid Lexapro taper. I was on the liquid a full 4-6 weeks before I started to taper. Since I have been on the liquid I have actually had 4 days with no nausea. Imagine that lol... Wonder what will happen now (I'm always prepared for the worst, then when it doesn't happen, I'm shocked!)

If we do move I did find a dr that will work with me and give me the liquid as long as I need it.

Do you know anything about PPI's? Ever since I stopped taking them, I have gained 7 pounds. I would of thought I would lose weight.

Maybe it's because of the holidays too.

You said my body would know how it would feel, taper faster, slow, etc. How will I know? Just curious.

I keep a journal of how I feel when I get up in the morning, what I eat throughout the day and how I feel up to bedtime. It has helped a lot.

I really appreciate you answering me.

Have a great evening. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

This sounds good! Don't know about PPI...

You will know because your symptoms will increase at a certain point after a cut. Everybody seems to have a different set of symptoms. For me it's disrupted sleep, irritability, anxiety, DP/DR, extreme fatigue - in that order.

You hold until they go away and you return to your pre-cut state. The so-called baseline.

If the symptoms were very uncomfortable and you had a hard time coping, you contemplate a smaller cut next time. If symptoms were mild for the whole 30 days you can try a bigger cut next time.

You will definitely know.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

You will know because your symptoms will increase at a certain point after a cut. Everybody seems to have a different set of symptoms. For me it's disrupted sleep, irritability, anxiety, DP/DR, extreme fatigue - in that order.

You hold until they go away and you return to your pre-cut state. The so-called baseline.

If the symptoms were very uncomfortable and you had a hard time coping, you contemplate a smaller cut next time. If symptoms were mild for the whole 30 days you can try a bigger cut next time.

Thanks for explaining it to me. I really appreciate it. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I'm going to put it out again, hopefully someone will answer me.

I stopped PPI's and get a burning sensation in my stomach. And sometimes nauseous.

I think the nausea is from the Lexapro. The dr said to take the Lexapro at night, but JanCarol said not to change it because of cortisol spikes? I don't understand that at all. I don't have any W/D symptoms other than burning in my stomach and nausea.

Can someone please help???

Thanks. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hello Frogie

As you know I am not a moderator but  I remember reading recently  something Chessiecat (moderator) wrote in her post #285. Think it was on tryingtosurvives thread. I can't put the links on here - my netbook won't let me do it!

Anyway, there were links to info on PPI's which may help you if you can find the post.

Hope you get some relief soon.

xxxx Flowers

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Hello Frogie

As you know I am not a moderator but  I remember reading recently  something Chessiecat (moderator) wrote in her post #285. Think it was on tryingtosurvives thread. I can't put the links on here - my netbook won't let me do it!

Anyway, there were links to info on PPI's which may help you if you can find the post.

Hope you get some relief soon.

xxxx Flowers

Flowers:

Thanks for the information.

I'll look into it.

Hope you are doing well. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie. For every action ( force) in nature there is an equal and opposite reaction - Newton's law . That's how I consider the drugs to be also.

PPI's do the opposite of what they're meant to do. They create havoc in the gut . A/D's do the opposite also -  create havoc in the brain.

What to do ?  Gradually taper off all medications. That's it . Do it in the easiest way possible.  End of story.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10914-what-is-happening-in-your-brain/

This link is a good one to read to see what effect the drugs can have on the body but then how it can all be reversed in time and healing can happen.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Frogie -

When I stopped taking PPIs I had rebound nausea. It is common when stopping PPIs.

One thing I did do for my nausea was chew raw ginger or crystallized ginger. I got it at a health food store.

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Frogie!

Actually, overall, it sounds like you are doing really well!

You converted to the full dose of liquid, and waited 4-6 weeks before tapering.  You've had  windows!

It will get better!

So - now you are a few weeks into your 10% taper, and your nausea is back.  I reckon that's a sign that you need to hold some more.

Petunia may have a point that 5% tapers might be better, especially since you are at the "last 10 mg" of Lex.  It's a strong one, and really - you've been lucky to only get nausea!  I know, your nausea is awful, but I'm just reminding you it could be so much worse!

OKAY - you've asked me:

Where do I get that Digest Gold?

I got mine from iHerb.  It's not cheap.  There is a product here in Australia that is 80% as good as Digest Gold, and maybe half the price.  

Go to this page:  http://au.iherb.com/Enzymedica-Digest-Gold-with-ATPro-180-Capsules/7056

In the ingredients, you will see a list of enzymes:  

Digest Gold contains:  Amylase, protease, glucomylase, lactase, alpha galacsodase, cellulase, lipase, beta glucanase, maltase, xylanase, invertase, paclinase, hemicellulase.  Covers all possible bases, apparently.

A local product (Nature's Own Digestive Ease, all vegetarian, manufactured 30 minutes away) contains lactase, amylase, protease, lipase, cellulase, and a better description of what it does.  

It's in a ginger base - I also have a special ginger, turmeric, (and something else) root powder made by a local chemist (that's a chemist, not a pharmacist  http://www.biohawk.com.au/) that I sprinkle on food or put in bread mix or pancakes to break down proteins.  If you use Ginger, there's a good chance it came from Queensland - 80% of the world's ginger comes from here.  Additionally, there are over 400 species of ginger, each with different properties - some are just ornamental, some have different medicinal characteristics.  Turmeric is a cousin to ginger. 

Digestive Ease also contains papain (from papaya) and bromelain (from pineapple) - these fruits can "digest" meats & proteins without help from stomach acid.

So here's what the label says:

Lactase - breaks down lactose in milk (like I said)

Amylase - breaks down carbs

Papain, protease, & bromelain - breaks down protein

Lipase - breaks down fats and oils

Cellulase - breaks down cellulose, or plant carbohydrate.

So you kinda see how the names work. 

There are 2 other kinds of enzymes - Betaine HcL (which is now falling out of favour in preference for) and TMG (tri-methyl-glycine - sounds healthy, no?).  I take betaine HcL with food every day, and the complex digestive enzyme formulas when I share food with others and have less control over what I eat.  Like at restaurants.  Instead of griping that there may be wheat or dairy, I just take an enzyme if I think there may be something I react to.  I still order carefully, but don't panic over loss of control.  It won't FIX the problem, but it keeps me from getting completely sick.

One other thing - I know I mentioned it before - and I mention it a lot:  Deglycinated Licorice (DGL).  These come in lozenges and are awesome for nausea.  Licorice (I used to take it as a supplement, but can be dangerous for the heart) has this glycinate stuff in it, the DGL has that removed, so is safe to take.

I have given you all that information so that you can find a digestive aid for you.

What do you have the most difficulty with?  Dairy?  Carbs?  Fats?  Take a digestive enzyme with your food.  Get to know the different

(nnn)-ase's and find what works for you.

Digest Gold is expensive.  I buy the local product, when I can find it on special.  But I use the Digest Gold, too.  I mentioned it first, because it covers most of the bases.  

Re:  Himalayan Salt

Ok, I'll drink more water. I have been bad about that. Do I just put the salt in the water and drink it? How much salt and how often? I have been drinking mint tea.

You can do that - I just use the pink salt whenever I want salt. Please do not use Morton or regular "kitchen salt."  It is an industrial product.  Use natural Pink Himalayan Salt or Celtic Sea Salt.  

If I have had a dehydrating attack of IBS, or feel that my kidneys are "dry," I will have a little - a few twists of the salt-grinder - in a 16 oz beverage.  I suffered kidney dysfunction on the lithium, so I'm sensitive to when my kidneys aren't working well.

Because of this sensitivity, I must caution you against Coca-cola.  It is dehydrating, and not just from the caffeine.  If you are dehydrated, it is the last thing you should have.  It's probably not good for nausea, either.  After all, you can use it to clean your car engine - what would that do for the delicate balance of your gastro intestinal tract?

I love a good Coke - the ones in Atlanta are the best.  But if it is aggravating your symptoms - it's worth a try to see if you can eliminate the symptoms by eliminating the Coke!  What if it is as simple as that?

I have been taking a splash of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)  or lemon juice in my water, especially overnight for sipping.  That is good for the tummy, and may heal some of the damage the PPI's gave you.

LOL Ali telling you so succinctly:  the drugs cause rebound of the very effect they are meant to treat.  Yep!  She's right!  It may be awhile before you are normal after quitting the PPI's.  

I'm keeping my eyes out for natural nausea remedies.  The ACV water and lemon water come highly recommended.  It was hard to drink the ACV water at first, but now that I've gotten used to it, I like it.  The trick is to make it not too strong.  Very good for the gut, if you can drink it!

One more question. I've started my taper with the liquid. Since I've been on the liquid for over a month, I've only been nauseous 3-4 times. Can I take it at night, then I can sleep through the nausea? If so, I took it already this morning, do I go ahead and take it again tonight?

I'm worried that this will be over activating, and throw you into the realms of insomnia.  There are a few antidepressants which can induce drowsiness, but for the most part, they are stimulating, accelerators.  

It's great that you are responding so well to the liquid! 

Have you had any windows since your 10% drop?

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

This is the ultimate post on nausea JC! Would be good to copy it on a thread about nausea :)

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

This is the ultimate post on nausea JC! Would be good to copy it on a thread about nausea :)

Hi bubble and JC:

It has helped me a lot, reading it over and over.

I'm addicted to coke a cola. I have gone from 6-12 a day to 2 a day. I think that's pretty good. I tried the ACV, and threw up. Don't want to try it again for a while.

I'm nauseous today. Haven't been all weekend, but I ate chocolate yesterday. That's probably it.

My stomach has a little burning pain too. I think that's no more PPI's. Just needs to heal.

If one of you could copy the thread that would be great. I don't know how, and don't want to copy anything that shouldn't be.

Thanks for all your help. I wouldn't know what to do without you. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Frogie. These are the links you requested . I thought it was best to put them here so you could access them easily.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/834-juicing/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8469-feeling-better-green-smoothies/

I hope I wasn't too straight forward in my last post. I believe in telling it like it is. Wishing you success with the juicing. I hope it helps.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Hi Frogie. These are the links you requested . I thought it was best to put them here so you could access them easily.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/834-juicing/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8469-feeling-better-green-smoothies/

I hope I wasn't too straight forward in my last post. I believe in telling it like it is. Wishing you success with the juicing. I hope it helps.

Hi AliG:

You weren't too straight forward at all. I like to hear it like it is. No beating around the bush, especially with this.

Thanks for the smoothies. :) My fiancé and I are beginning to like them!

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Frogie!

Well 12 cokes (really? 2 six packs a day?) down to 2 is something!

But I cannot help but think that it is killing your gut flora, increasing reflux, and stripping your bowels of nutrients.

My first husband used to drink 20 cups of coffee a day.  I wish I could say that it worked out for him - to continue or cut down, we'll never know.  I outlived him.

I copied the nausea thing to the Gut thread, thanks Bubble!  I also added a post about Bone Broth, and Pink Salt Sole cleanses.  But I don't think you, Frogie, are ready for a Salt Sole cleanse.  

In fact, I'm not recommending it for anyone, until I've tried it first.  Sounds intense.  You can read about them here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3413-digestive-problems-nausea-diarrhea-bloating-gerd/page-8#entry266557

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hey Frogie!

Well 12 cokes (really? 2 six packs a day?) down to 2 is something!

But I cannot help but think that it is killing your gut flora, increasing reflux, and stripping your bowels of nutrients.

My first husband used to drink 20 cups of coffee a day.  I wish I could say that it worked out for him - to continue or cut down, we'll never know.  I outlived him.

I copied the nausea thing to the Gut thread, thanks Bubble!  I also added a post about Bone Broth, and Pink Salt Sole cleanses.  But I don't think you, Frogie, are ready for a Salt Sole cleanse.  

In fact, I'm not recommending it for anyone, until I've tried it first.  Sounds intense.  You can read about them here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3413-digestive-problems-nausea-diarrhea-bloating-gerd/page-8#entry266557

Thanks JanCarol:

I'm doing the best I can right now. I think going down to 2 is pretty good. I'm working down to none, but it's difficult.

I haven't seen my therapist for 2 weeks. She's had some health issues and been in the hospital. I finally get to see her this morning.

I won't do anything with the salt. But I'll read about it.

Thanks for caring, I'm really sad right now.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Frogie,

Thought I'd drop by to see how your doing. Sorry to hear you're still having so much trouble with your stomach still, but glad you're taking some proactive steps to help it. Cutting out Coke could be really helpful in that area. I stopped all caffeinated drinks a while ago and it's really made a difference in my mood and gut health. I really miss that morning cup of coffee, and when I fix it for my husband, it's so tempting. But it's hardly worth the stomach pain and anxiety that's sure to hit me later.

I've been having a green smoothie everyday for a while now and let me tell you it has done wonders for my mood. Ultimate natural mood stabilizer. Wish the doctor had prescribed those instead of Depakote years ago I'd be light years ahead. Oh, well. Live and learn.

If you haven't done them yet just start small. Sometimes I've found they can upset my stomach.

Take care and know you are being thought of.

PatriciaVP@AbleWriterSays My Intro

Zoloft 150-200 mg- on and off between 1998 and 2004.

Lexapro 40 mg - 2004-2013 30 mg 2013 - August 2015 20 mg August 2015- September 2015 15 mg September 2015 - October 2015 10 mg October 2015 -Nov. 1 2015. Nov. 2015 increased dose to 12.5 mg to stabilize. Dec. 28 2015 11.25 mg March 29, 2016 10 mg. August 1, 2016 9 mg. October 23, 2016 8.1 mg. Nov. 29, 2016 7.5 mg. Feb. 25, 2017 7 mg. April 9, 2017 6.5 mg. June 2017 6 mg. Aug. 2018 5.75 mg March 2019 5.5 mg Apr. 2019 5.25 mg. June 2019 5 mg Sept. 2019 4.75 mg Nov. 2019 4.5 mg Dec. 2019  4.25 April 7 2020 4mg 

Depakote 1000 mg 2008-2013  750 2013-Dec 2015 500 mg Dec 2015 to Feb 2, 2016. Sopped completely Feb 2 2016.

Adderall 40mg 2004-Feb 29, 2016. Feb 29,2016 - reduced Adderall to 20 mg based on pdoc's recommendations. March 29, 2016 - Reduced Adderall to 15 mg. April 30 reduced Adderall to 10 mgs. May 28, 2016 reduced Adderall to 5 mgs.June 8, 2016 stopped taking Adderall due to extreme agitation.

Amphetamine 20mg 2008 - 1/16. 1/16 - Stopped Amphetamine completely because pdoc did not renew script.

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

Hi Frogie,

Thought I'd drop by to see how your doing. Sorry to hear you're still having so much trouble with your stomach still, but glad you're taking some proactive steps to help it. Cutting out Coke could be really helpful in that area. I stopped all caffeinated drinks a while ago and it's really made a difference in my mood and gut health. I really miss that morning cup of coffee, and when I fix it for my husband, it's so tempting. But it's hardly worth the stomach pain and anxiety that's sure to hit me later.

I've been having a green smoothie everyday for a while now and let me tell you it has done wonders for my mood. Ultimate natural mood stabilizer. Wish the doctor had prescribed those instead of Depakote years ago I'd be light years ahead. Oh, well. Live and learn.

If you haven't done them yet just start small. Sometimes I've found they can upset my stomach.

Take care and know you are being thought of.

Hi PatriciaVP:

I'm working on cutting out the coke. I've gone from 12 or so a day to 2. I've been drinking a lot of tea. I'm beginning to like it.

I've had a few days where I don't wake up nauseous, and I just wish it could be everyday. But I'll take what I can.

I've had some pretty gloomy days, yesterday and today. Insurance companies are the worst. Hopefully it's finally figured out.

My fiancé and I have started juicing. Talked with AliG, she juices, can you give me some ideas? That would be great.

Hope you are doing well have a great night. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi bubble:

Thanks for the info.

As you know, I have nausea everyday. But there have been a few days that I woke up fine. My blood work came back last month perfect with my liver and everything else. The dr thinks it's just the Lexapro and quitting Prilosec. I eat fine, so I'm not even counting that as a W/D anymore. He said I could have a whimpy stomach from taking all those meds for so long.

So, if everything goes well, I'm on 9mg right now, what cut could I go to next? You said I could make a bigger cut? I'm on the liquid Lexapro!

Thanks... :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

hey, just to add, since i cut down on sugar my stomach has been much better...

have you looked into alkaline vs. acidic food? 

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

Ok . Yes this might be an issue Ikam & Frogie. Coke that can clean a driveway might not be good to ingest.  Just saying. Hello.

Ok . Yes this might be an issue Ikam & Frogie. Coke that can clean a driveway might not be good to ingest.  Just saying. Hello.

AliG and Ikam:

You are both right with the coke. But I've been drinking it so long, it's like I'm an alcoholic to it lol...

I've started drinking different flavored teas, and like them, but still need my coke at least 1-2.

What else do you suggest besides water? I think I get enough water with the tea?

Thanks for your help!

Take care,

Frogie xx

Any alkaline drink, I have just started and really like it, himalayan salt with lemon http://blogs.naturalnews.com/make-alkaline-water-lemon-himalayan-salt-combat-cancer/

You can also try apple vinegar

http://theheartysoul.com/tablespoon-apple-cider-vinegar-uses/

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

Any alkaline drink, I have just started and really like it, himalayan salt with lemon http://blogs.naturalnews.com/make-alkaline-water-lemon-himalayan-salt-combat-cancer/

You can also try apple vinegar

http://theheartysoul.com/tablespoon-apple-cider-vinegar-uses/

Tried apple cider vinegar and it made me throw up lol...

Have you guys tried lemon & ginger tea , rooibos tea, mineral water with lemon or even carrot juice ?  There are alternatives to coke. I'm so surprised that you would consider it.  

Have you guys tried lemon & ginger tea , rooibos tea, mineral water with lemon or even carrot juice ?  There are alternatives to coke. I'm so surprised that you would consider it.

I was brought up on it. The whole family drank it. I didn't think anything about it.

I can't do ginger or apple cider vinegar, it makes me throw up (I know TMI)

I can not stand carrot juice. Love carrots but not juice.

I'm drinking celestial seasonings mint tea, and just got an apple cider tea. Haven't tried it yet.

I like lemon with himalayan salt.

I have stopped any soft drinks long time ago

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

OK. That's cool. It's just about finding something that works for you. I like Rooibos tea but rarely drink that either as I don't trust the water. I need to get a water filter. LOL.

OK. That's cool. It's just about finding something that works for you. I like Rooibos tea but rarely drink that either as I don't trust the water. I need to get a water filter. LOL.

What is Rooibos tea?

• Mentor

What is Rooibos tea?

Frogie, the Madagascar Vanilla tea you just ordered from amazon is rooibos tea. It's herbal and has no caffiene, as you know, that is what I drink.

It's also called red bush tea.

look on the box when you get it, you will see it says rooibos (which is pronounces ROY boss, I think)

it's supposed to have a lot of health benefits, I just get it because it's got no caffeine in it.

http://www.vegkitchen.com/nutrition/9-proven-health-benefits-of-rooibos-tea/

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Frogie. For every action ( force) in nature there is an equal and opposite reaction - Newton's law . That's how I consider the drugs to be also.

PPI's do the opposite of what they're meant to do. They create havoc in the gut . A/D's do the opposite also -  create havoc in the brain.

What to do ?  Gradually taper off all medications. That's it . Do it in the easiest way possible.  End of story.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10914-what-is-happening-in-your-brain/

This link is a good one to read to see what effect the drugs can have on the body but then how it can all be reversed in time and healing can happen.

Ali

This is the issue I've been having :(

I took PPIs for about 6 weeks last summer but never tapered off them, and didn't know that I should have done this.  

P-doc said that reflux could be used as a "barometer" for state of mind/mental health.

Have recently been experiencing reflux, but for the last 2 days have been taking 200 billion count probiotic.

Wonder if my gut will ever heal :(

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Forgie -

Did you ever try Aloe Vera juice?

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

What is Rooibos tea?

Frogie, the Madagascar Vanilla tea you just ordered from amazon is rooibos tea. It's herbal and has no caffiene, as you know, that is what I drink.

It's also called red bush tea.

look on the box when you get it, you will see it says rooibos (which is pronounces ROY boss, I think)

it's supposed to have a lot of health benefits, I just get it because it's got no caffeine in it.

http://www.vegkitchen.com/nutrition/9-proven-health-benefits-of-rooibos-tea/

Thanks what it says on the box.

Thanks. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Forgie -

Did you ever try Aloe Vera juice?

No, they say it gives you diarrhea and I already have that problem lol...

Thanks for thinking of me. :)

Take càre,

Frogie xx

Ali

This is the issue I've been having :(

I took PPIs for about 6 weeks last summer but never tapered off them, and didn't know that I should have done this.  

P-doc said that reflux could be used as a "barometer" for state of mind/mental health.

Have recently been experiencing reflux, but for the last 2 days have been taking 200 billion count probiotic.

Wonder if my gut will ever heal :(

Hi JC:

Usually the dr will tell you not to taper off. Big mistake.

I tapered off and still get reflux once in a while.

Try Nauzene. It's over the counter and really helps me. Also DGL helps too.

I don't think you're in danger, your stomach is just back talking you.

Eat a bland diet for a few days and I bet you'll be fine.

This is my opinion, take it or leave it. Would you trust the dr that put you on it in the 1st place? I wouldn't. That's why I don't have that dr anymore among other reasons.

Take care. :)

Frogie xx

Frogie -

It never gave me diarrhea. Maybe you could try a small about. I would drink an ounce at bedtime.

I believe your gut will heal. I was nauseous for 15 months and I am better. It was a very slow process. I tried everything to feel better and I believe the only thing that helped was time. I know you don't want to hear that because I know you want to feel better now.

Since I have started my low carb/protein diet my reflux is much better, moreover my pain/body inflamation is better. In my view, it is not "just" one thing that needs changing, it is whole diet which needs to be alkaline...

It has taken me since Christmas to the state I am in at present.

Intrestingly enough, I ate yeserday some product that contained wheat and woke up with a splitting headache...

I am still on PPI but I do not need to take extra gaviscon at night. My tummy, intestines feel "much happier"...Moreover, I have started craving healthy food, such as red cabbage...

I swear on hymalaian salt with lemon that it gets my acid balanced...I thought at first that I would not be able to drink it, but it tastes in between salty and sour...

But I was always able to drink any medicine...

I completely have stopped eating any bread, pasta, potatoes (apart from sweet potatoes), dumplings, jam, honey...

I also stop any veg which gives me "strange" feeling, as I can "detect" if they have too many chemicals...

So my day starts with a protein shake (Mercola, http://www.red23.co.uk/Protein-Meal-Replacements_c_43.html) with lots of veg (love it with a beetroot), + SuperGreens (Amazing Grass) + one small spoon of coconut oil)...I put few berries on top...add banana and flax seeds...

I have stopped eating apples, but may add them to the shake...

I take my supplements, Curcumin high strength, Ionic Iron Liquid, 100ml, Zynk liquid 50ml, etc...I will put my supplements in the link...I think Curcumin + Burdock Root help with inflammation...

During the day I avoid grains and cow’s dairy:  I can eat white rice, gluten-free oats, coconut wraps, sweet potato, yams. I can eat goat and sheep’s produce, but avoid soft cheeses (higher in lactose)

Apparently, a bone broth, this is very healing to the gut.  Keep the fat, as animal fat is particularly healing....

​I tend to eat more meet, but use coconut oil to make my food, it is easier on my stomach...

I have almost changed completely my diet, apart from one drink, strong tea in the morning, but I have been drinking this since I was 18 and I am highly addicted to it...

I still take some painkillers, paracetamol with codeine, but occasionally...One of the GP's prescribed me Lidocaine patches and they do help (so I think my pain is more muscle- skeletal- nerve related than anything with my organs)

I still need to add Glucomannan as a fibre to my shake, but bit concerned about possible diarrhoea...Anyway, I am adding one thing at a time...

My naturopath  recommended I take diatomaceous earth. (Dr. Axe: https://draxe.com/diatomaceous-earth/)

I think my mistake with tapering related to my body being completely unprepared for any extra load...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg