Soup: starting Lexapro taper

Soup

Hi

I have been on Lexapro 15mg for 4 years now I also was on 2 mg of Klonopin which I tapered off  6 months ago.I am feeling

much better than I did during my 14 month taper still some sxs but over all feel stronger.I feel it is time to get off the Lexapro as well.

Very apprehensive to start this process again as my K taper was very horrific.

On Prozac 20 mg from 1996 to 2012 started for post partum depression ? Pooped out

2012 - Switched to 1.25 mg Klonopin ( tapered off last dose march 6 th / 2017 ( 14 month taper) 

2012-15 mg lexapro came off nov.4 th /17 

2012- 150 mg Wellbutrin xl ( still on ) 
2019- Stabilized to be functional after coming off lex and klon waiting to get healthy to taper Wellbutrin

2021 Dec - Suprax and macrobid for UTI

2022 Jan - withdrawal symptoms came back with a vengeance ( antibiotics and uti only change ) 

2022 June - still in full withdrawal 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Soup: Starting Lexapro taper
  • Moderator Emeritus

Soup -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Tapering off a benzo drug is no picnic.  I'm glad you're doing some research before you start to taper Lexapro.

What are your symptoms now? Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

Posting 3-4 days worth of notes here in this topic will help us to understand your situation and to make the best suggestions for you to consider as a next step.

If it's not already part of your plan, you may want to take some more time researching and preparing to taper Lexapro. You're in a great position right now -- you can take time to

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Some topics relevant to your situation:

Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

I've given you lots to read and to thing about -- also, one thing to do (signature) -- so I'll wrap things up. 

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.   Please let us know how we can assist and how you are doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 5 months later...

Soup any update?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 2 months later...

So unfortunately I listened to my doctor and went off the Lexapro in. 4 months time . Nov 14 , 2017 was my last dose then exactly a week later all holy you know what broke loose. Fast forward to today and I am in an absolute Hell and feeling trapped and do not know what to do from here.😭 Can't eat, or really do anything . I am still on Wellbutrin 150 mg XL . Please be gentle with me I am am very vulnerable right now having a lot of anxiety  and desperation . I do not drink or smoke or any other drugs have lots of support at home. But I am in torment everyday . Any any kind advice would be warmly accepted . Thank you for your time . 

On Prozac 20 mg from 1996 to 2012 started for post partum depression ? Pooped out

2012 - Switched to 1.25 mg Klonopin ( tapered off last dose march 6 th / 2017 ( 14 month taper) 

2019- Stabilized to be functional after coming off lex and klon waiting to get healthy to taper Wellbutrin

2022 Jan - withdrawal symptoms came back with a vengeance ( antibiotics and uti only change ) 

• Administrator

Soup, please read About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

You might reinstate a very small amount of Lexapro, such as 1mg, to start. Do you have any left? Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram) explains how to take a small amount.

What time of day do you take Wellbutrin? Do your symptoms afterward follow any daily pattern?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I take my Wellbutrin in the morning . My sxs are all over the board . Last few days have been cold patches all over my body , retching, no appetite, feel numb, can't sleep , sweating at night, panic, crying, depression , brain zaps   , dr/Dp etc 😭I have had no windows of relief at all have lost 60 lbs and pretty well house bound . I do try to walk everyday and eat what I can of whole foods but very very difficult. I want to give up but I have the most beautiful family . Thank you for your attention to me 

I do not have any Lexapro left 

Thank you for your reply . I wish I could get my brain to work better . I am so freaked out right now and trying hard to understand . I was doing so well after my benzo taper and to have this happen I just don't even know what has happened ! I have read some on here have had some success with a small reinstatement which is encouraging . If I could just get myself a bit better so I could handle the slow taper . But then my darn brain says oh my e it is the Wellbutrin doing all this . I know there is no way of telling I am just rambling now ..... is appreciate your help . 

• Mentor
2 hours ago, Soup said:

I wish I could get my brain to work better . I am so freaked out right now and trying hard to understand . I was doing so well after my benzo taper and to have this happen I just don't even know what has happened ! I have read some on here have had some success with a small reinstatement which is encouraging . If I could just get myself a bit better so I could handle the slow taper . But then my darn brain says oh my e it is the Wellbutrin doing all this . I know there is no way of telling I am just rambling now ..... is appreciate your help . 

oh Soup, all of what you're described are all classic lexapro withdrawal symptoms. Lexapro is one of the strongest drugs out there, if not the strongest.

A tiny TINY bit of it is super strong.

I would not blame the wellbutrin, I would think that all your sxs are from the quick drop off lexapro.

if you can get the liquid, that would make it so much easier to re instate and taper. I didn't have the liquid at first and mixed the crushed pills with water but if I remember correctly, they didn't suspend evenly in the solution so it was hard to get an accurate dose

do you think you can get a dr to write you a script for the liquid? 

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Soup. Please read my reinstatement story under the reinstatement topic. 

You may also want to read my AD thread. I have a thread in Benzo WD also. I was on 30 mg of Lexapro for 2 yrs. and around 1mg to 1 1/2 mg Xanax for about 5 years. 

I was switched to Klonopin after I cold turkeyed the Lexapro. 

I am currently on 15mg of Lexapro ( since approx April of 2017). I was on 1mg of Klonopin and have been tapering since Sept 2017. I am down to a little less than .5mg. Please pm me if you want to talk or have any questions. I’m not perfectly fine. But I’m not in the living hell I was in during the cold turkey W/D. 

in Aug 2014, prescribed 20 mg of escitalopram.  Oct 2014, upped to 30 mg.

In January 2016, "doctor" added 2mg of Abilify

I had been taking .5 Xanax in AM and PM for a few years

Xanax November 23rd, 2016 .25   5 times per day

Took .5 Ativan in AM and .5 Ativan in PM 10 hours apart for 2 weeks and 2 days. I stopped Ativan on Nov 4th 2016

I cold turkeyed off escitalopram and Abilify on September 4, 2016

i crosses over to 1 mg of Klonopin in Dec 2016. 

Since withdrawal, I have occasionally taken 10mg or 20mg propranolol when my heart was pounding uncontrollably

Supplements Magnesium, Vitamin C, Natural Calm magnesium drink.  Just started  11/16/16 Lactium supplement 167mg at night.

Godiswithme: I'm very scared   Godiswithme: Xanax taper after cold-turkey of Lexapro and Abilify

Jan 2017. Slowly reinstated Lexapro over 4-5 mos to 15mg. Have stayed on that amount. 

Sept 2017. Started tapering 1mg of Klonopin. As of May 2017, I am at .426 mg of Klonopin split into 2 doses per day. 

How do i pm you ? 

• Mentor
3 minutes ago, Soup said:

How do i pm you ? 

I think you click on my user name and look for the little envelope icon and click on that

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • 5 months later...

Hi there. Looking for advice or experience for coming off of Wellbutrin xl after coming off a benzo and Lexapro . It has been 19 months from my benzo taper and 11 months from my Lexapro taper . I am in pretty bad shape cannot really function lost the ability to taste and smell have wicked head pain and hypercaucis . Wicked DR/DP blurry vision and cog fog . Any thoughts ,experience or advice would be great.y welcomed. I feel beat to the ground and don’t know where to turn next . I did not feel this bad till after getting off the Lexapro . I will say I am feeling quite desperate . Thank you in advance for any thoughts ❤️

• Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on coming off the benzo and Lexapro.  It's sounds as if you are in extended withdrawal from the Klonopin and Lexapro taper.  I suggest you wait and stabilize until your symptoms are more tolerable before beginning your Wellbutrin taper.   I can't tell you how long that will take, but it does sound as if you need a bit of a rest and some healing.  When it does come time to taper, here is some specific information on tapering Wellbutrin.

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

To help you understand the symptoms you are experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal.  The withdrawal time doesn't necessarily correlate with the time you were on the drug.  These drugs alter the architecture of the brain, and the time necessary to heal the brain and return to homeostasis is, unfortunately, impossible to predict.  

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Two supplements that we recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Many members have found the non-drug techniques in the following links helpful in dealing with withdrawal.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Administrator

Hi, Soup, I moved your post to your existing Intro topic, to continue your case history.

As Gridley said, if you're still having withdrawal symptoms from the earlier drugs, it might be best to hold for now -- unless Wellbutrin is adding to your symptoms.

To determine if you have adverse effects from Wellbutrin, we need your daily symptom pattern. Are your symptoms worse or better at any particular time of day? How's your sleep? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Sorry for posting in the wrong section brain not working at all......I have been keeping track of my symptoms.Should I post them here or somewhere else ? I only am taking the Wellbutrin Xl 150 mg now.I do not drink,smoke,or any other drugs of any kind. I manage to get out for regular walks and eat just regular food.I take  no supplements at all.

• Administrator

Yes, please post them in this topic, with your drug schedule.

I am currently taking 150 mg Wellbutrin XL every morning once a day 1 tablet (smallest size available) I have tapered off Klonopin and Lexapro K- 19 months ago and Lexparo  14 months ago. My symptoms are with me almost all the time. I have super sensitive hearing a fork dropping on a plate makes my brain feel like it is shredding. I always have  what I call a brain ache not really a head ache.I cannot taste or smell properly.Blurry vison comes and goes .I have ongoing DR/DP never seems to lift. I sleep usually 5 hours a night. Was having bad nightmares but those seem to have stopped.I feel anxious but mostly about feeling so sick.Depressed because I feel so sick.Wicked horrid Cog fog so bad. Cry a lot.Slight tinnitus and nausea which are the only things that come and go with no pattern.I take no other drugs or supplements I do not smoke or drink ( never have) I walk everyday and and eat regular food.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Soup: starting Lexapro taper
  • 4 weeks later...

May I ask how fast you tapered the K and the Lexapro?

in Aug 2014, prescribed 20 mg of escitalopram.  Oct 2014, upped to 30 mg.

In January 2016, "doctor" added 2mg of Abilify

I had been taking .5 Xanax in AM and PM for a few years

Xanax November 23rd, 2016 .25   5 times per day

Took .5 Ativan in AM and .5 Ativan in PM 10 hours apart for 2 weeks and 2 days. I stopped Ativan on Nov 4th 2016

I cold turkeyed off escitalopram and Abilify on September 4, 2016

i crosses over to 1 mg of Klonopin in Dec 2016. 

Since withdrawal, I have occasionally taken 10mg or 20mg propranolol when my heart was pounding uncontrollably

Supplements Magnesium, Vitamin C, Natural Calm magnesium drink.  Just started  11/16/16 Lactium supplement 167mg at night.

Godiswithme: I'm very scared   Godiswithme: Xanax taper after cold-turkey of Lexapro and Abilify

Jan 2017. Slowly reinstated Lexapro over 4-5 mos to 15mg. Have stayed on that amount. 

Sept 2017. Started tapering 1mg of Klonopin. As of May 2017, I am at .426 mg of Klonopin split into 2 doses per day. 

I did a 14 month taper off the K and a 5 month taper off the Lexapro.Still on the Wellbutrin holding steady and withdrawal is still bad 

• 1 month later...

wellbutrin xl taper question

Hi there. So I am trying to figure out how to come off my welbutrin XL 150 mg. I have read the tapering section . In my country only the XL and SR are available so I basically have to use the SR  to get off.

Does anyone here have experience with that? Just looking for some real time experience. Hope someone can give me some more knowledge.Thank you for your time.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title to post

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Soup,

I merged the new Introduction topic you created with your original Introduction topic.  Each member is permitted to have only 1 Introduction topic where they can ask questions and journal their progress.  This keeps a members history in one place.  Please do not start any more Introduction topics.  Thank you.

Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

There is a lot of information in the above topic.  Please read through it and if you still have questions, please ask them here in your Introduction topic.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Sorry about that. Brain is not firing well these days. I hope I hear from someone who has come off the Wellbutrin. I just cannot figure out how to switch to the SR and then come off that. Like I said my brain is fried so comprehension is  tough these days.Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

I'll ask the other mods for their assistance.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

This is not really answering your question but I went through your thread and just wanted to note down a few things I notice: you came here after tapering Klonopin asking for advice on how to taper Lexapro. You didn't listen to our advice but came off Lexapro in 4 months ending up in bad withdrawal and coming here to ask for advice.

We advise reinstating a small dose of Lexapro but you are convinced Wellbutrin is causing your symptoms and want to destabilize your CNS further with another taper.

What has changed with your symptoms since you were last here? Do you have a symptom log you could post here?

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

I am extremely fragile right now so I was looking for some help is all. Yes I did end up coming off the Lexapro to quickly doctor fooled me again I pay for that everyday.i was advised I was too far out to reinstate. I know my issues are from coming off the Lexapro . But my country has had a shortage of the Wellbutrin so was trying to see how I could maybe get off this . I was just asking  for ideas or some help is all not to be judged for my stupid mistake I pay for everyday.

• Administrator

Did taking Wellbutrin make you feel better? What are your symptoms before and after you take it? How's your sleep?

If all you can get is XL and SR, you'll have to taper by cutting up the SR tablets.

We have lots of people here tapering Wellbutrin, use Search in the Introductions forum and look for "Wellbutrin" or "bupropion"

Altostrata thank you for that very knowledgeable  kind answer. My sleep is getting better interrupted but around 6 hours much better than the 45mins I was getting a year ago. My symptoms are pretty steady. I have hyperacucis but that is starting to fade a bit. I have diminished smell, taste and feel. Burning tongue but that is coming and going now. Wicked Cog fog and of course anxiety but not at a super high level. Slight tinnitus and head pressure that comes and goes.I do feel this is from the withdrawal of the Lexapro and Benzo but like I said my country has an ongoing shortage of the Wellbutrin so I need to educate myself as much as I can to be prepared. I of course do not want to set my CNS off anymore than I already have. I appreciate your time very much and for not being judgemental .I will do some more searches to find other experiences. 

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Soup, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 2 years later...

Can antibiotic use cause a wave?

I left this forum in 2019 as my symptoms of coming off the Clonazapem and Lexapro had started to get better and I felt I needed to take a break from tapering with my last AD (Wellbrutrin 150mg XL) to get myself strong 

mentally and physically. I had hoped to start tapering in 2020 but then the pandemic hit and everything felt so unstable in the world and I felt OK I just stayed on it with the plan to start again once things settled with Covid more. Over December and January I was given 4 rounds of Macrobid and one round of Suprax antibiotic for a UTI   I took the last antibiotic on January 30th/22. I felt a bit off when taking the first rounds but attributed it to the UTI. Then when I stopped I started to get all my previous withdrawal symptoms back burning skin, cold /hot feeling, electrical feeling in hands, nausea, retching, insomnia, akathasia, nightmares, brain fog ..........Has this happened to others? Is this like a wave? Do I just ride it out? Feeling a little desparate as to what happened and just need some reassurance that this can happen . Do you think it will settle? There were no other changes in my life. I do not take any supplements, do not drink nor smoke or take any other drugs other than the wellbutrin. Had my covid shots in May and sept.I appreciate any feedback on this and of course your time for even looking at my question.

Edited by ChessieCat
added intro topic title before merging with intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

I've merged your new Introduction topic with your existing one.  Only ONE Introduction topic per member.

Yes, other members have reported their withdrawal symptoms worsening after using an antibiotic.  Being sick (without any medications) can also cause symptoms to increase, because the body is stressed.

cipro-levaquin-azithromycin-z-pack-and-other-antibiotics

Thank you for doing that . I didn’t realize I needed to put under the other one my apologies . Thank you for your answer 

• 3 months later...

Almost 5 months in this setback from the antibiotic and still full on withdrawal ( less the wretching and burning skin) my question would it be prudent to start the Wellbutrin taper or wait for more stabilization . I have a LOT of other symptoms still ? Have others waited it out? I don’t think my symptoms are from the Wellbutrin but really what do I know ……

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  What are your current symptoms?

Q:  Have any of your symptoms improved during the last 5 month?

Q:  Has anything else happened during the 5 month period, eg additional stress (Covid booster, death, financial/relationship/work issues, other sickness)?

Q:  How is your sleep?

Q:  Have you missed any doses of Wellbutrin?

Q:  Do you take your dose at a regular time?

25 minutes ago, Soup said:

Almost 5 months in this setback from the antibiotic

When it comes to an "upset" nervous system, 5 months is not unusual time for recovery.  And don't forget your body was also fighting an infection leading up to you taking the drugs to deal with it.

I am experiencing DR/DP brain fog , reduced skin sensitivity  , constipation hissing in ears , head pressure , cold patches , no urge to eat or drink ( but I do) very broken sleep and vibrations when waking up . Sweating off and on . The things that have stopped are the dry retching and burning skin . I take my Wellbutrin at 8:15 every morning never miss a dose . No other stressful things have happened since . I am not working and am taken care of very well by my family . I take no other drugs nor smoke or drink nor any supplements . Just wondering if others just hold when this happens ? My symptoms are steady all day except cold patches come and go . Thank you 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you.

Q:  Are any of those symptoms NEW since the antibiotics?  If yes, which ones?