Brain fog: blank mind, comprehension, concentration, cognitive, and memory problems

Denstar51

Does anyone else have no brain activity /slash/ blank mind?

Does anyone else have no brain activity /slash/ blank mind? I feel really alone in this particular symptom because i don't hear too many people discuss it. I'd really like to devote this thread for those of us who are experiencing this symptom, and to hear from those who have struggled with it in the past and experienced it dissipate or  lift entirely with time. For me, I have to work really hard to even have a thought. It's like i don't even know myself anymore because I have no thoughts on anything, really. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Off all meds since mid June 2020

November 2020 - feeling really sick, cognitive delays, memory issues, difficulty focusing, low mood, apathy, anxiety

I have some aspects of this problem.  I can't think of anything I want to do, it is as if I never had any interests before.....all my body/brain wants to do is lie on the couch.  I don't know what to do with myself.  It is difficult for me to converse in the earlier part of the day; this gets better later on.  It also relates to food - no food sounds appealing anymore.  If someone asks me what I would like to eat, I can't think of anything. There are other examples where my mind feels blank but that gives you some idea.  I do have thoughts/opinions about things (like say politics or certain issues) so it isn't completely blank but I have described that I feel as if a part of my brain has been removed or has shut down and won't come back online.  It is an awful feeling and makes me feel like I am not myself at all, like I am not really here anymore.  

I do have awful intrusive thoughts so my brain is not blank in that way.

In your signature you describe "feeling really sick" - that is exactly how I describe how I am feeling too....it is vague but that is the only way I can describe it.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

I have really fast negative thoughts all of the time about how stuck and anxious I feel but my ability to care about anything outside of potentially healing one day is shut down. I don't feel my caring about my family members in the way I used to (although deep down I know it is not true), I don't have anything I want to do, I don't feel happy at all, I can't concentrate on much, not even a TV show. I know it is the WD because TV shows I used to care about and get in to the story and characters I can hardly stay focused on. it is all dead for now. I also can barely listen to anyone. They are talking to me and I am offline. I am almost 3 months past my final dose. I'm still crying all the time. The good news is I have had a few fleeting moments of change. I started out with how am I going to get through this day and I have actually had a couple of moments of when I get better I will so and so.  

Paxil  2000 - 2002  Tried unsuccessfully to discontinue

2002 - 2010 A series of trial and error, Wellbutrin, Effexor and unsuccessful attempts to discontinue.  

2010 - 2017 Lexapro With several unsuccessful attempts to withdraw 

2012 - 2017 Lamictal Successfully withdrew Lamictal no problem

2017 - 2020 Switched to 40mg. Prozac to prepare try another Withdrawal. 

2020 - On 15mg Remeron for a few months during withdrawal

Completely off of Antidepressants since Sept. 2020

Klonipin as needed throughout the process. .25 mostly, some .5, some .125,  2 to 12 times per mo.

Also, to respond to the sick part. I am still getting the flu symptoms. Today is a bad day as far as feeling sick and with Covid going on it is tricky when you constantly have these flu symptoms. I get swollen glands, heat, itching and sneezing. Totally related to the withdrawal. 

Paxil  2000 - 2002  Tried unsuccessfully to discontinue

2002 - 2010 A series of trial and error, Wellbutrin, Effexor and unsuccessful attempts to discontinue.  

2010 - 2017 Lexapro With several unsuccessful attempts to withdraw 

2012 - 2017 Lamictal Successfully withdrew Lamictal no problem

2017 - 2020 Switched to 40mg. Prozac to prepare try another Withdrawal. 

2020 - On 15mg Remeron for a few months during withdrawal

Completely off of Antidepressants since Sept. 2020

Klonipin as needed throughout the process. .25 mostly, some .5, some .125,  2 to 12 times per mo.

Its so good to know I'm not alone, but also frustrating to see so few stories of recovery when it comes to brain fog....i've looked through this thread for them and really don't find any. DOES THIS GET BETTER? Is there evidence of that happening? I feel so hopeless.

November 2020 - feeling really sick, cognitive delays, memory issues, difficulty focusing, low mood, apathy, anxiety

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes it does improve.  I posted this recently in my Intro:

On 11/23/2020 at 9:43 AM, ChessieCat said:

I noticed something this morning.  My memory is improving.  I've been listening to podcasts and audio books for quite a while now and I had been having a lot of difficulty remembering things.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been listening to two books at the same time, one during the day and the other at night in bed.  The first couple of books were a bit different.  However, the current ones have very similar voices and this morning I realised that I've been able to keep up with the different stories because I'm able to recall things.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Just wanna reply to Gizmo and the others:

Cognitive difficulties were my main withdrawal symptom, coupled with a lack of empathy (as Rachie described) and a general feeling of detachment.

I wanna tell you that it does get better. It's been a painstakingly slow process but a process nonetheless. Today I am much more present and acute than I was a year ago. This is reflected in my ability to do maths, recall memories and express myself coherently. Basically my mind is not all white noise anymore, if you can relate to that feeling.

My advice for you is to not ruminate. I know it's extremely difficult to avoid this type of thinking, but you have to as it's harmful and will only make you feel depressed and anxious. That's enough to make even a healthy person feel and perform worse.

I've found that refocusing my efforts on wholesome activities - from breathing to exercising to working to the best of my abilities - is key. Do this and let those awful sensations wash over you without either suppressing or giving them credence. This will give you a much needed sense of control.

All the best, feel free to send me a message if you ever wanna talk

- Registered to the site at end of April, been a lurker since February. If I should correct my signature in some way please correct me! 

- Started Prozac (20mg all the way) in 2010 at the age of 17 for OCD/Anxiety

- Half-hearted attempts at quitting previously, psychiatrist response each time "return of original symptoms". 

- Kept on trucking on medication until beginning 2016 as my belief was that I need it (i.e. natural chemical imbalance)

- Started getting more anxious / experience a cognitive decline but refused to raise dosage

- Tried to quit but experienced a lot of stress from studies and work

- Tried to switch to Wellbutrin (150mg dose) in 2017 but experienced quite a lot of irritability, stopped the medication without problem. 

- Did independent research at end of 2017, became a "believer" in WD symptoms/other side effects outside official guidance

- Reinstated to 10 mg Prozac in December 2017, currently (December 2018) on 1.25 mg

- My main concern/problems are cognitive ones (word finding, short-term memory, mathematics, logic) and looking for guidance on these issues from anyone who is kind and resourceful enough to assist.

Thank you! 

@lexauxa I really appreciate your reassurance. My work requires a tremendous amount of intellectual labor and I feel so frightened that I'm going to **** up. And then in my personal life, I don't feel like I can process or understand anything, really. It feels so scary. I sent you a DM - I'd love to talk to you more. The suggestion to not ruminate is so helpful. I'll try to distract myself. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Brain fog: blank mind, comprehension, concentration cognitive and memory problems

According to my and many others' experience, it gets better gradually but the extent and the rate of improvement depend heavily on the factors that are mostly out of a person's control.

It took me approximately 10 years (13.5 years in total) to finally feel like myself again. 

• 2 months later...

I have noticed a lot of improvements in my cognitive problems when I have tapered off most of the meds and there is only small dose of benzos left. When I was in worst situation I felt so cognitively impaired I have no words to describe it, blank mind or living in a fog (severe brain fog) could describe it pretty well. I had difficulties to write, read, plan, watch TV, remember  things like normally, even navigate outside, have a conversation or do any things I was used to able to do like study that would have felt like the most difficult task to do. I had a lot of memory issues too and I lived in a fog for years. Many basic tasks felt challenging.  I think withdrawal, withdrawal insomnia, polypharmacy, benzos and other sedative drugs caused these issues. They started during SSRI withdrawal (it felt like I had cognitive problems and brain fog). For a long time during withdrawal I felt like my brain got overwhelmed when there was even a bit too much stimulation going on and it caused so severe fatigue I had difficulties sometimes to even comprehend what is going on like my battery just run out too soon. I had weird headaches all the time  that started in the end of the day, almost every day. Someone described here derealization and I still feel like it everyday. Like living in a dream like state, maybe it is some type of cognitive dysfunction still, I dont know. Surviving from these drugs have felt like surviving from some type of brain damage.

I have also a bit of my imagination and creativity back I had that was gone for a long time. I have been able to read lately even though I am still quite slow and consentrating is still really challenging, and I have to push myself and reading takes a lot of energy. Its not easy. And I can do many things I was unable to do for a really long time. I still struggle with my memory when I try to study something. I feel like its important to train the brain and when there is long time of not doing something, it can take a lot more energy to start doing it than usually and brain to get used to it again. Everything feels more challenging after medication harm and withdrawal. I started from really easy tasks when things felt challenging. Cooking was my brain training. Walking outside feels like improves my cognitive function. 

I hope things will get even better when I stop benzos completely. I try to taper slowly. 

I am not who I was, but I have lived in this situation for so long I have started to accept it. 

2005-2009 Lexapro 10-20mg & Remeron 7,5mg: cold turkey

2010 tried Venlafaxine (month),

2011-2012 Seroquel 25mg (few months)

2014 6 days Cipro(antibiotics) adverse reaction

2011-2015 Lexapro 10-20mg (tapered off during 4 months) 

2015-2016 (all these drugs during 9 months during SSRI wd,did not tolerate most of them ) : tried Remeron, Temazepam. Reinstatement of Lexapro 3 months after stopping it: fail. Akathisia, insomnia. Zyprexa10mg, Sodium Valproate, Temazepam(20mg), Oxazepam 30-45 mgs. Switching meds: Seroquel 50-100mg, Oxazepam  30-45mg , Temazepam 20mg. Then back to Zyprexa 10mg, Temazepam20mg, doctor took me off Oxazepam fast. Then Zyprexa 20mg, Temazepam 20mg, melatonin10mg ( sometimes very rarely Valium 10 mg.) Zyprexa: cold turkey because 20 mg Zyprexa made akathisia intolerable after every dose. After it insomnia, 24/7 akathisia, adverse reactions to supplements.

2016 spring daily  Valium 15mg (for akathisia)>0mg (used for 4 months and during that time slowly tapered off), tried Betablockers (shortly), Temazepam 40 mg > 25 mg (tapered in 3 months)

2016 summer Temazepam 25 mg > 20 mg, melatonin 2,5 mg

2016 november Melatonin 0,5 mg, Temazepam 20 mg.  Started tapering again.

2024 May 1,8 mg  Temazepam Supplements: Probiotics, magnesium oil occasionally, vitamin E occasionally, melatonin 0,5 mg

• 2 months later...

This has been brutal, for the last month I’ve started to notice the “Waves and Windows” pattern somewhat starting.  Through all of this I “think” I’ve noticed a more clear window a a couple weeks back, but my memory is so bad in the waves I struggle to validate experiences via my own memory.

I’m 33 years old going on 85.  But then in the window I remember...maybe more like 33 years old going on 60.  

I hope it gets better, I feel so depersonalized on top of this all, its time travel.

2019 (poor taper jump off celexa 20mg to 10mg in 1week and xanax 1mg to .5 and jumped.

relapsed onto Ativan 1mg per day and Effexor 150xr i think i maxed out at 225mg
2020:
tapered off Effexor April-September
tapered Ativan from late Sept-Oct
tapered Nov2-14 on Valium, JUMPED Nov 15 2020

I can definitely relate. During worsr waves I have an idea what dementia can be like. I feel terrible brain fog. Even during windows I have issues with short term memory and consentrating, but during waves its even worse and I am constantly forgetting what I am doing etc.  During windows my head is more "clear"

I feel DP and DR on top of this. Confusion is also good word to describe what I feel some days, especially when the brain fog is bad and experience a wave.

I have been making improvements slowly but it wasnt long time ago when I had a wave when the cogn symptoms got worse again

2005-2009 Lexapro 10-20mg & Remeron 7,5mg: cold turkey

2010 tried Venlafaxine (month),

2011-2012 Seroquel 25mg (few months)

2014 6 days Cipro(antibiotics) adverse reaction

2011-2015 Lexapro 10-20mg (tapered off during 4 months) 

2015-2016 (all these drugs during 9 months during SSRI wd,did not tolerate most of them ) : tried Remeron, Temazepam. Reinstatement of Lexapro 3 months after stopping it: fail. Akathisia, insomnia. Zyprexa10mg, Sodium Valproate, Temazepam(20mg), Oxazepam 30-45 mgs. Switching meds: Seroquel 50-100mg, Oxazepam  30-45mg , Temazepam 20mg. Then back to Zyprexa 10mg, Temazepam20mg, doctor took me off Oxazepam fast. Then Zyprexa 20mg, Temazepam 20mg, melatonin10mg ( sometimes very rarely Valium 10 mg.) Zyprexa: cold turkey because 20 mg Zyprexa made akathisia intolerable after every dose. After it insomnia, 24/7 akathisia, adverse reactions to supplements.

2016 spring daily  Valium 15mg (for akathisia)>0mg (used for 4 months and during that time slowly tapered off), tried Betablockers (shortly), Temazepam 40 mg > 25 mg (tapered in 3 months)

2016 summer Temazepam 25 mg > 20 mg, melatonin 2,5 mg

2016 november Melatonin 0,5 mg, Temazepam 20 mg.  Started tapering again.

2024 May 1,8 mg  Temazepam Supplements: Probiotics, magnesium oil occasionally, vitamin E occasionally, melatonin 0,5 mg

i really wish i knew this was going to go away. I feel like my mind has died and my physical form remains. I only took lexapro for 3 months on a low dose and this has happened i just cant believe it. How can one go through life completely devoid of thoughts, imagination, creativity, emotions, drive, passions. I feel entirely separated from my brain and i just cant access it at all. The only way i can really describe it, is an intense fog and blanket wrapped around it where i'm locked out of my own mind. Everything feels completely devoid of an emotional response from me. Nothing at all can make me anxious anymore either, have zero anxiety.

2014 Duloxetine, took for a couple of weeks and stopped was aged 17 at the time CT brain zaps etc. 

2017 Lexapro 5mg, hard to remember but i took this for a couple months ago for social anxiety. Stopped CT, brain zaps etc. 

2020  oct-dec, Escitalopram, 5mg took for a total of 2.7 months including taper, tapered for a couple weeks. 

still not right. Emotional blunting, brain fog, anhedonia, PSSD, blank mind, cognitive issues. 

Yes, it's quite frightening. I forget very basic things, zone out, can't think, can't focus... And I also feel like it's affected me in the windows as well. When I get tired I start to feel it. Sometimes I feel like I'm slurring my words slightly (partner says he hasn't noticed, so it's probably very mild because I definitely feel it). Omega-3 fish oil is helpful for supporting brain function (or hemp seed oil if you're vegan/vegetarian). 

Jan 2020-now - Tranexamic acid and 800mg ibuprofen for heavy periods

2015-2020 - Sertraline (Zoloft) - started at 25mg, went up to 200mg, tapered back down to 75mg, off in August 2020 (don't recall dates)

2015-now - Ritalin on and off as needed

2015 for 6 months - (before Sertraline) a month on Lithium, list of others I can't recall, Quetiapine (period of psych trying me on different drugs to see what would 'work')

Supplements: Probiotics | Magnesium + zinc + B6 | Hemp seed oil (omega-3) | Ferrograd (iron) + vitamin C | Collagen 

Intro topic: lostmysock: Sertraline 5 years, off since August 2020

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried a rehabilitation/brain training type of approach to cognitive issues?

I'm having horrible problems with word recall. It makes it hard to form a sentence longer than 4 or 5 words. Which is making me self conscious, even around the people I'm closest to.

I'm wondering if like, I tried reading a book aloud (no problems reading) everyday it would help retrain my brain. Anyone attempt something like this?

2013- Placed on 300mg buproprion, 100mg chlorpormazine

2019- Tapered to 50mg chlorpromazine 

5/2019- Went down to 150mg bupropion 

6/2019- Stopped taking bupropion 

11/2019- Chlorpormazine reinstated to 100mg

12/2019- Started Lamotrigine 100mg

10/2020- Started daily Ketamine Spray 60mg

3/2020-4/2021- Chlorpormazine taper 100mg-1.25mg

• 1 month later...

Hi. Have you felt any difference in your symptoms? Do they get better with time? 

2007-2010 Sertraline(200-400 mg) and Fluxetine 80mg for OCD

2010-2015 Changed many doctors and many medicine but it was mostly Sertraline 100mg-200mg and some tranquilizers for sleep

2015-2019 mostly Sertraline lower doses (50mg -100mg) but bunch of other medicine that I do not really remember.

August 2019 -Jan2020 Ecitalopram 10mg

Jan 2020-June 2020 Sertraline 50mg

June 2020-Oct 2020 (Cold Turkey) tried to suddenly stop Sertraline 50mg but had anxiety attacks

Oct 2020- March 2021 Sertraline 75mg

April 2020- Cold Turkey

• 2 weeks later...

Any cold turkey succes stories? 

Citalopram augustus 2020 - 20 mg untill 14 february 2021 quit cold turkey. No alcohol use or other medicine. No surgery.  Only adviced supplements and little bit of vitamine D because of defficieny. 

3 hours ago, Fromthenetherlands said:

Any cold turkey succes stories? 

Yes, look around the site and you will find some.

There is no reason why you shouldnt recover from cold turkey - in fact most doctor recommended taper plans are basically cold turkey.

The common theme does appear that a slow taper reduces intensity and length of time of symptoms as your body can make the necessary changes in conjunction with your slow taper, rather than trying to have to sort it all out at once.

40 yo Male. Started Paxil about 15 years ago. 10 mg (pill weight .125 - .129 g). 5 yrs wanted less side effects, doctor took me off Paxil over couple week period and put me on Wellbutrin. Not good. Went back on Paxil. Relieved my symptoms, but didn't work as well and more side effects. Severe reaction between Paxil and Zomig Summer of 2012. Head was affected during warmer days (cloudiness, confusion, pressure). Began 10% withdrawal 10/24/12.

Withdrawel helped many symptoms, but also added side effects: nausea, dizziness, tiredness. Hyper-anxiety started January 2014.

Went through a 2 year period of de-realization (2016-2018).  Rarely any windows.  
Current dose: 0.00 as of 4/10/21.  Made a lot of progress in my withdrawal symptoms the last 2 years of my taper.  I think doing a liquid taper helped stabilize things on the lower doses.  A lot of my symptoms have reduced significantly.  Hoping for even more improvement now that I am off.
My thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8909-rusty1-paxil-withdrawal-help-and-advice-welcome/#entry150222

• 2 months later...

Are there any specific success stories out there from this symptom? I really need hope @Altostrata

• Administrator

Please use site search to find topics discussing cold turkey and the process of recovery from it. Please do not tag me when you could use search yourself.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 weeks later...

Like Gizmo said, i'm also really struggling with the lack of brain activity feeling. Its almost an impossible thing to describe but its as if my brain is shut down and im kind of on an autopilot mode. As if im asleep but awake at the same time? I know that probably makes no sense but there is really nothing going on in my brain anymore. I cant even put a thought together or if i do i have to really force it, no automatic thoughts or really recall a memory but yet i can talk to someone but like words come out without me even thinking of them. I'm really used to it now though, been in this state for at least 8 months but its still extreme suffering every single day. I know its absolutely pointless posting here and reading other peoples stories but i just cant help it.

The way it feels is as if my brain doesnt release any brain chemicals dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin. As if all these are blocked in some way. I cant remember the last time i had an actual sensation feeling in my body or head. 

2014 Duloxetine, took for a couple of weeks and stopped was aged 17 at the time CT brain zaps etc. 

2017 Lexapro 5mg, hard to remember but i took this for a couple months ago for social anxiety. Stopped CT, brain zaps etc. 

2020  oct-dec, Escitalopram, 5mg took for a total of 2.7 months including taper, tapered for a couple weeks. 

still not right. Emotional blunting, brain fog, anhedonia, PSSD, blank mind, cognitive issues. 

@Atlas15,

What was your medical history?

Citalopram augustus 2020 - 20 mg untill 14 february 2021 quit cold turkey. No alcohol use or other medicine. No surgery.  Only adviced supplements and little bit of vitamine D because of defficieny. 

@Nic123

I don't think is pointless to write here and to read other people's stories. We are here to share and luckilly, learn from each other's experiences.

I totally understand you with the laxck of brain activity feeling. Some days I have to think what is 1+1(I am not exagerating, It has happenned). 

It comes and goes and some days is better. But in general, I need to make an extra effort to comunícate a not so difficult sentence. I've had an MRI and they found nothing special, so I know It is "just" WD.

I will keep you in my thoughts and I Hope everything will get better. 

March 2019: 10mg Citalopram

April 2019: 20mg Citalopram

October/November 2019(sorry, I don't remember the exact date): 10mg of Citalopram without tapering, as suggested by my pharmacist. 

March 2020: Started "tapering", taking the 10mg of Citalopram every other day, again, following the recommendations of my pharmacist. 

April 2020: Stopped taking Citalopram.

I haven't reinstall since then. I've tried taking Magnesium a couple of times, but I found out it makes me nervous. I only take Paracetemol when the headache becomes unbearable (2gr every couple of weeks or so). 

I think I’m being overly paranoid but I hesitated getting the vaccine for so long as I worried it would make my condition worst and ruin all my “healing” I had my first shot a couple days ago and don’t feel any different apart from more anxiety from thinking about it. 

how do I relax from this pattern of thinking. Have you guys got it to?

Brain fog was one of my worst symptoms. I'm still kind of self conscious, even though it's way way better. I got the vaccine and it had no effect on any of my withdrawals, and I had a pretty big immune response to it.

The idea of having long term cognitive issues from getting covid itself scared the hell at of me, it's why I got the vaccine as soon as I could. 

• 1 month later...

Brain fog. Brain does not feel clear of thinking/disconnected

Hello everyone,

My first time posting last week. So a bit of a background... I took one dose of Zoloft 50mg. Almost 7 months later my mind just does not seem clear or disconnected. Hard to explain, but I am sure others understand. I am wondering if anyone else experienced this and if they had success where it went away or maybe what you did to help?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

May 13th 2021: One dose 50mg Zoloft 

• 3 weeks later...

I had an MRI that said "Scattered FLAIR hyperintensities nonspecific but most commonly related to chronic microvascular changes." which seems to say I have irreversible damage to my brain. I don't know if Lexapro did this, but I'm guessing it did. What am I supposed to do at this point?

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

30mg Lexapro from 2016-2020

30mg cold turkey in June 2020 due to issues with APRN

Re-instatement of 10mg of Lexapro in late September 2020 due to panic attack

Cold turkey 10mg Lexapro early October 2020 due to sudden health problems possibly caused by Lexapro

Now taking 20mg of Lisinopril. Stopped iron supplement over the counter for low iron due to feeling sick while taking it. Taking a vitamin D supplement alongside the Lisinopril.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 4:38 AM, rilexapro said:

I had an MRI that said "Scattered FLAIR hyperintensities nonspecific but most commonly related to chronic microvascular changes." which seems to say I have irreversible damage to my brain. I don't know if Lexapro did this, but I'm guessing it did. What am I supposed to do at this point?

How do you come to the conclusion that you have irreversible damage??

Ad's since 2016 (I was 16 then...) (Escitalopram) 

Nov 2018 switch to venlafaxin 150mg

Nov 2019 to march 2020 tapered by 37,5mg to cero. (breakdown, minor w/d symptoms for a few days only panic attacks followed by deep depression came a month later duo to stress). 

Reinstated venla 150mg in Juli 2020.

Nov 2020 to April 2021 tapering by 15mg every month or so until I reached approximately 50 mg(no w/d symptoms) 

Since April 2021 tapered once by 5% and once by 10% of the last dose because I'm not stable enough for w/d. 

Current dose 50mg venlafaxin

No other medication. 

No supplements

Stopped smoking 29.12.2021

No alcohol 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/long-covid-antibodies-in-cerebrospinal-fluid-linked-with-brain-fog

A new study found high antibody count in cerebrospinal fluid of people with brain fog duo to long covid. 

Maybe there is a link to withdrawal. 

Nov 2019 to march 2020 tapered by 37,5mg to cero. (breakdown, minor w/d symptoms for a few days only panic attacks followed by deep depression came a month later duo to stress). 

Nov 2020 to April 2021 tapering by 15mg every month or so until I reached approximately 50 mg(no w/d symptoms) 

Since April 2021 tapered once by 5% and once by 10% of the last dose because I'm not stable enough for w/d. 

No other medication. 

No supplements

No alcohol 

6 minutes ago, kostakonkordia said:

How do you come to the conclusion that you have irreversible damage??

Because my mind feels nothing like how it did before this started. I see minor flashes of improvement, but not much. My nerve abnormality problems are constant, which is concerning.

Risperdal 2012

Lexapro 2013-2020

30mg Lexapro from 2016-2020

30mg cold turkey in June 2020 due to issues with APRN

Re-instatement of 10mg of Lexapro in late September 2020 due to panic attack

Cold turkey 10mg Lexapro early October 2020 due to sudden health problems possibly caused by Lexapro

Now taking 20mg of Lisinopril. Stopped iron supplement over the counter for low iron due to feeling sick while taking it. Taking a vitamin D supplement alongside the Lisinopril.

5 hours ago, rilexapro said:

Because my mind feels nothing like how it did before this started. I see minor flashes of improvement, but not much. My nerve abnormality problems are constant, which is concerning.

But this doesnt mean it's permanent... Our body has alot of capabilities in healing itself. Thinking that you're problems are permanent is not true and can lead to a doomsday view of you're situation which can be be very dangerous i think. 

No other medication. 

No supplements

No alcohol 

Hi Guys,

I started doing neurofeedback and have experienced good effects. See the page about this subject to read my experience.

kind regards.

• 2 months later...

Hi, i really struggle with the blank mind symptom. No thoughts, no creativity and no imagination. Loss of personality and all emotions. I also have extreme brain fog and trouble focusing and remember things. 

I also have this weird pressure in my head, like something is squeezing my brain. 

I just really want myself back. Anyones symptoms get better? Mine just get worse it seems

June-July -21 Zyprexa 2.5-7.5 mg 

July -21 Mianserin 20 mg four days

July-Aug -21 Valium 30 mg a day, tapred, return of symptoms 

Aug-Oct -21 Oxazepam Tapred from 10 mg x 3 to zero

Dec-Jan -21/22 On and off mirtazapine 15 mg. Kindling reaction?

March 8.-19. - Zopiclone 7.5 mg to combat insomnia 

March 20 - 5 mg valium because of akathisia and panic 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

Mine has gotten significantly better. There's a ton of different causes of brain fog, even when you're not in the midst of withdrawal. So I worked at eliminating the things that can contribute to it normally to try to "lighten the load".

The reason I wanted to reply though, is you mentioned "pressure in your head". That went hand in hand with my brain fog. The number 1 cause of tension headaches is an imbalance in your posture muscles. I don't know about you, but I was practically bed ridden during the worst of my withdrawals. So it made sense that mine weakened.

Exercising those made a HUGE difference for the brain fog and pressure. And they're pretty non-strenuous and easy to do.

@Bjeck

Do you also get pressure when thinking? Even just writing thing the pressure in my head increases. Its like my brain is being Squeeze when i try to think. I wake with this everyday, and it just seems to get worse

June-July -21 Zyprexa 2.5-7.5 mg 

July -21 Mianserin 20 mg four days

July-Aug -21 Valium 30 mg a day, tapred, return of symptoms 

Aug-Oct -21 Oxazepam Tapred from 10 mg x 3 to zero

Dec-Jan -21/22 On and off mirtazapine 15 mg. Kindling reaction?

March 8.-19. - Zopiclone 7.5 mg to combat insomnia 

March 20 - 5 mg valium because of akathisia and panic 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

I think I know what you're talking about. When I was at my absolute worst it was like I could "feel" my brain straining to think, like it was some muscle that was worn out. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy