Positive: Survive incorrect withdrawal from fluoxetine (Prozac)

POSITIVE

Hi everyone, 

I started taking Fluoxetine 20mg in January 2016 after a difficult time and they helped enormously with my depression.  However in August of this year having felt great for some time I made the decision to come off the meds as it was affecting my sex life and also I didnt want to stay on drugs forever.  I felt the time was right.  My doctor  told me all would be fine and to take one tablet every other day for a couple of weeks and then two tablets a week for two weeks and that should ensure a safe withdrawal. I am so upset and angry that this irresponsible advise was given and so wish I had come across this website beforehand.  Initially I felt fine and then I started to feel dizzy and had vertigo symptoms.  Then came insomnia, sweating, horrible anxiety including social anxiety, irritability, crying bursts for no reason.  I have also recently developed aching muscles and joints.  The anxiety is worse in the morning and gets better at night and then back to square one next morning.  I am probably approaching 3 months of zero meds now with little sign of improvement.

I am at a loss as to what to do? I went back to my GP and told her about the symptoms and she said she didnt know what to advise except go back on the tablets.  When I said I didnt want to she asked me if I had googled it!!!  I feel so desperate as to who to go to for help as I have now lost all trust in my GP.

I am doing everything I have read to try to help, ie dry body brushing, epsom baths, hot yoga, drinking camomile tea, eating nutritiously,  getting out in nature walking my dog.  I dont know whether to try going back on the tablets and then taper the 10% way as your forum advises or to stick it out now I am almost 3 months in?

If anyone has any advise I would be most grateful.

Good luck everyone on your journey getting off these drugs. xxx

Hi, I started taking Fluoxetine 20mg in January 2016. They helped me overcome a difficult period and I felt better after a couple of weeks.  In August 2017 around 18 months later I started tapering off the drug.  Unfortunately I did not get the right advice and took the tablets on alternative days for a couple of weeks then 2 tablets per week for the next couple of week bringing us to early September.  I felt fine for a while then started to develop classic symptoms of dizziness, anxiety including social anxiety, tearfulness, confusion, body aches, insomnia, and life is pretty tough at the moment.  I am not taking any of these drugs now the last one i took was end of August.  I am so hoping I can conquer this without going back on them but it is difficult. Thanks for reading.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Positive: Survive incorrect withdrawal from fluoxetine (Prozac)

Hi Positive. Welcome to SA. It sounds like you have all the classic signs of withdrawal from tapering too fast. Unfortunately, most doctors don't understand how to taper safely. The alternate dosing that was recommended to you, is very destabilizing to your CNS ( central nervous system). You have every right to be upset, as this is irresponsible but also quite common.

To start with, we ask all our members to fill in their signature with their drug and tapering history. This appears below each of your posts and enables us to see your situation and history, easily. Please follow the directions at the link below : 

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only known way to alleviate withdrawal symptoms and is best done immediately on appearance of withdrawal symptoms.The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work. Some people can reinstate months after quitting; others cannot. We advise perhaps starting with just a very small amount of Prozac to help with withdrawal symptoms and after stabilizing, then a slow taper off.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

SA recommends tapering by 10% of your current dose with a hold of at least 4 weeks before your next decrease.The 10 % taper method is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

You are already engaging in a lot of the activities that we recommend and they will help you through this. We have a Symptoms & Self- Care section that is full of ideas and information. This thread is particularly helpful : Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

I'm going to post some other relevant links. Have a read through them and come back here to your thread with any questions or comments. Give some thought to reinstatement of just a few mgs Prozac. Let us know what you decide and we can then suggest an exact dose.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Brain Remodelling

Ali

Edited by AliG
spacing

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi AliG

Thank you for all your kind help and information. It has certainly helped to know that these symptoms are normal for withdrawal of Prozac. I went back to my GP and she very reluctantly gave me the liquid version of the drug so I could take a very low dose. She tried to convince me that they do not produce this! Then She was far more concerned that it was more expensive than the 20mg pills, I don’t have to explain how that made me feel! Another meltdown ensued. 

I didnt take any of this drug but instead travelled down to London to see a very highly recommended homeopathic practitioner. She spent three hours with me listening to all my medical both physical and mental history and then tested all medicines and supplements I am taking including fluoxetine although I have stopped taking this drug. My body immediately rejected this drug and its liquid form. She tested all foods too. 

She was was so kind and reassuring that she can treat the whole me and help with the detoxification of this drug that I am going to try this natural route. 

I have come away with lots of natural safe products including Angus Castus tincture, Avena dative tincture, cardius marianus tincture, chelidonium tincture together with small white crystals to pop under the tongue if anxious and a natural antidepressant pill  namely serotonin 5HTP.  

I know that the above won’t be an instant fix and will take time but I already feel better knowing that I am no longer having to consider going back on to Fluoxetine. 

I wanted to post this just in case it helps just one person to maybe consider a holistic alternative. It was interesting that some of the tinctures she had considered my body also rejected so the above is specifically tailored to me at this current time. 

I have another appointment to see this practitioner in January and I will let you know how I am getting on.

it is wonderful that this site is here helping people and knowing we are not alone in this journey.

x

Hi, I started taking Fluoxetine 20mg in January 2016. They helped me overcome a difficult period and I felt better after a couple of weeks.  In August 2017 around 18 months later I started tapering off the drug.  Unfortunately I did not get the right advice and took the tablets on alternative days for a couple of weeks then 2 tablets per week for the next couple of week bringing us to early September.  I felt fine for a while then started to develop classic symptoms of dizziness, anxiety including social anxiety, tearfulness, confusion, body aches, insomnia, and life is pretty tough at the moment.  I am not taking any of these drugs now the last one i took was end of August.  I am so hoping I can conquer this without going back on them but it is difficult. Thanks for reading.

Hi positive. Whilst I am happy for your progress and also finding a like - minded doctor/ naturopath , there is nothing that can or really does replace a small reinstatement of your previous medication.

2 hours ago, POSITIVE said:

I have come away with lots of natural safe products including Angus Castus tincture, Avena dative tincture, cardius marianus tincture, chelidonium tincture together with small white crystals to pop under the tongue if anxious and a natural antidepressant pill  namely serotonin 5HTP.  

These may be safe ordinarily but in withdrawal, all bets are off. You now have a highly sensitive CNS (central nervous system). Most of these supplements, we haven't even heard of and I would take all of this with a high dose of questioning and also uncertainty.

If I were you, I might reinstate at a very low, small dose.

I also did holistic but after the power of these drugs, it really doesn't stand too much of a chance on it's own. Most of us have tried this route. I certainly don't want to take the wind out of your sails but unfortunately this is a "road that has already been traveled". For some it works but others can flounder.

Please let us know your thoughts.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

2 hours ago, AliG said:

Hi positive. Whilst I am happy for your progress and also finding a like - minded doctor/ naturopath , there is nothing that can or really does replace a small reinstatement of your previous medication.

These may be safe ordinarily but in withdrawal, all bets are off. You now have a highly sensitive CNS (central nervous system). Most of these supplements, we haven't even heard of and I would take all of this with a high dose of questioning and also uncertainty.

If I were you, I might reinstate at a very low, small dose.

I also did holistic but after the power of these drugs, it really doesn't stand too much of a chance on it's own. Most of us have tried this route. I certainly don't want to take the wind out of your sails but unfortunately this is a "road that has already been traveled". For some it works but others can flounder.

Please let us know your thoughts.

HI AliG

I can understand that reinstating at a very low dose can help and I do wish that I had tried that route back at the beginning of August but I didnt and having been off this drug for 3 months now  i am so reluctant to take it again. It is so difficult when different doctors have different opinions and of course I want to believe that a natural cleansing is possible.  If you were to google the tonics I am taking they are all clearly for the benefit of anxiety or depression but I understand your concerns that my CNS is in freefall.  I have made an appointment for my amalgam fillings to be replaced which was another recommendation my naturopath suggested.  I have good days and horrendous days which I cannot describe!   But some days I feel almost normal and I am getting all feelings back like the old me, sexual function has returned which was non existent when I was taking those drugs.

I know that these supplements she has given me will take a long time to start working.  I am concerned if I reinstate at a low dose of prozac i will be back to square one and want to at least give this route a try.  You do say "For some it works" and I want to be hopeful that it will work for me. You say that after the power of these drugs holistic medicine does not stand a chance but I would question how much of these drugs remain in my body after 3 months, do you think it is all out now and my body is just trying to readjust?  I appreciate that you are far more knowledgeable that me but I have read that some people can go cold turkey and be fine.  Everyone is different I guess.

I appreciate your time and help more that you know.  I have read the non drug remedies you sent in the link which inspried me this morning to walk my dogs in the woodland I even hugged a tree and I felt great.  Nature, yoga, helping others, eating well are all bits I do to help myself.  Do you think it is possible to ride this storm without going back to those horrid drugs which in my mind now are very bad indeed.  I do however acknowledge that they helped me once.  So difficult!!!

Thanks for listening.

Yours ever hopeful

Positive x 

Be very careful with what you take even if its all "natural". I've never heard of someone getting their withdrawal cured or fixed by using homepathic treatment. So there must be a reason why, again be very careful.

Stimulaton 50mg 28.11.2008 - 01.11.2011

PAXIL (Xetanor) 40mg;  30.11.2011 - 19.09.2017

Tapered : 19.09.2017 - 29.09.2017 20mg

Tapered : 30.09.2017 - 10.10.2017 5mg 

Reinstated : 03.11.2017;  5mg

14.11.2017 - 10 mg

13.12.2017 - 20mg

6 hours ago, AliG said:

there is nothing that can or really does replace a small reinstatement of your previous medication.

Amen to that.

Stimulaton 50mg 28.11.2008 - 01.11.2011

PAXIL (Xetanor) 40mg;  30.11.2011 - 19.09.2017

Tapered : 19.09.2017 - 29.09.2017 20mg

Tapered : 30.09.2017 - 10.10.2017 5mg 

Reinstated : 03.11.2017;  5mg

14.11.2017 - 10 mg

13.12.2017 - 20mg